CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...io-missing-110820/20110820?hub=TorontoNewHome

... Police allege Murray is "directly" involved in the kidnapping, but they have not said what his relationship is with Ermacora.

"There are not accessory after the fact charges. We have reason to believe, based on the evidence, that he was directly involved in this kidnapping," Const. Adam Minion said ...

... Police said they are now focusing their search efforts in nearby Bolton and in the surrounding area ...

With surnames of Ermacora and Murray, these men don't sound related, so have to wonder what they might have in common that results in the kidnapping, and warrants the charges of direct involvement as opposed to accessory charges.

Given the search around Bolton, have to wonder what boots these guys are sportin'

Police divers did retrieve a body from the pond near Bolton/Palgrave last night. Now, we wait for intentification. Police said they sent the divers in because they'd received a firm tip.

Now, I'm quite convinced of at least one thing:
- the two men were involved in the SV and SL cases, with one doing the killing/attacking while the other waited in a get-away car/truck.:twocents:

Perhaps this will break wide open near SV's anniversary.

LINK - http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/localnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10280197

I have been trying to find info. on the occupations of the people involved in the kidnapping case-obviously, it would be very interesting if it involved construction of some type or if any one (especially the victim) worked in the medical field...

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...-a-body-in-search-for-abducted-brampton-woman
Junio’s colleagues at Talize, a thrift store where she has worked for the past year
Okay, now I know the victim worked at a store.

I have been trying to find info. on the occupations of the people involved in the kidnapping case-obviously, it would be very interesting if it involved construction of some type or if any one (especially the victim) worked in the medical field...

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...-a-body-in-search-for-abducted-brampton-woman
Junio’s colleagues at Talize, a thrift store where she has worked for the past year
Okay, now I know the victim worked at a store.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110819/charges-laid-brampton-woman-missing-110819/20110819?hub=TorontoNewHome

"Ermacora is a mechanic by trade and his brother is a Toronto police officer. His father worked for the Ontario Provincial Police..."

OTTAWA — Family and friends held a vigil Wednesday night for the victim of Gatineau’s first homicide of the year after the body of 18-year-old Valérie Leblanc was found behind the CEGEP de l’Outaouais’s Gabrielle-Roy Campus Tuesday afternoon.

Her body, which Gatineau police said had been badly beaten and burned, was found by a group of students at around 4 p.m. in the woods behind the campus at 333 Cité des Jeunes Blvd.

I can't seem to find a thread for this case(yet), but this detail about the victim jumped out at me.

"Beaulm said Leblanc spent her summer working at a children’s summer camp and Tim Hortons. She loved the arts and could often be found writing poems and playing the drums"

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Community+mourns+homicide+victim/5305573/story.html#ixzz1W3rX8bFS

OTTAWA — Family and friends held a vigil Wednesday night for the victim of Gatineau’s first homicide of the year after the body of 18-year-old Valérie Leblanc was found behind the CEGEP de l’Outaouais’s Gabrielle-Roy Campus Tuesday afternoon.

Her body, which Gatineau police said had been badly beaten and burned, was found by a group of students at around 4 p.m. in the woods behind the campus at 333 Cité des Jeunes Blvd.

I can't seem to find a thread for this case(yet), but this detail about the victim jumped out at me.

"Beaulm said Leblanc spent her summer working at a children’s summer camp and Tim Hortons. She loved the arts and could often be found writing poems and playing the drums"

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Community+mourns+homicide+victim/5305573/story.html#ixzz1W3rX8bFS

This case reminds me of Kimberley Proctor, another 18 year old who was lit on fire (by two young offenders whose names have been released publicly). Can you start a thread for this girl? This is just horrible.

Sorry folks for another post in a row.
http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/1070650--no-peace-for-murdered-nurse
New, long article today.

"Sonia’s mother, Michele, told The Banner. “She was so small, nobody ever noticed her, and now she’s so big.”

"Another potential release for the family, the Varaschin’s are in the midst of packing their belongings, with plans to move to Shelburne in the coming weeks.
They recently sold their Bolton home, where Sonia grew up, and are heading north to be closer to their youngest child, Nadia.
“I think it’s a good move, a good change,” Michele said, explaining they’ve been in that house for 42 years and have a virtual lifetime of possessions, and memories, there.
“We still have all her stuff. I haven’t done nothing yet,” she said of Sonia’s belongings. “I’m still waiting to go through it.”
After months of investigation and renovation to repair the resulting damage, the Varaschins have also put Sonia’s Spring Street townhouse up for sale.
“I hope it will be OK. Whoever will buy it, they will know what happened — that’s very important,” Michele added, noting police haven’t said with certainty that’s where her daughter was murdered.
There was, however, a large amount of blood found in the home.
Where was Sonia killed? How? By whom? And most importantly, why? Those questions continue to haunt the still-grieving mother.
“Police don’t talk, but I know they’re working on it,” Michele, who has openly criticized police for not keeping the family informed in the past, said. “I understand their point (about not sharing details of the investigation). As long as they’re working on the case, I’m satisfied.”
Despite the time that’s passed, Det. Insp. Andy Karski of the OPP, who has headed the investigation since February, remains confident Sonia’s killer will be brought to justice".

It didn't really hit me until today that Sonia's house was only searched after her car had been found. Her parents had called police that morning to report her missing.

Here are screen shots of the blood viewable from the outside of her house. There was more blood inside but where is not disclosed in the media report. Was the perp wearing gloves since he closed the door and left blood on the jamb next to the door knob. The reporter also stated that there was blood on the door knob itself.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...le-polkce-100831/20100831/?hub=TorontoNewHome

blood on steps.jpg

blood on door jamb.jpg

I wonder if it's possible that the perp took Sonia at knifepoint and put her in her car and drove to Beechgrove Road and did whatever he did out there (since it was a quieter and isolated area,) disposed of her body there, then drove the car to the Greenhawk Equestrian Supplies parking area and went home on foot? I think Sonia could have hurt this guy and could have scratched him. I expect he would have explained any scratches away as work related. JMO

Matou and everyone:

I don't have the link at the moment, but regarding blood stains - I did read that LE are looking for "blood-soaked sheets and other bed linens/covers" from Sonia's house. I believe that these items have never been located.:maddening:

It's coming so quickly to SV's one year anniversary. I'm pleased that the family is moving away from the area. That, at least, might offer a bit of peace. :(

---------------------------

I did locate the link about the blood soaked bedsheets:
http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...-blood-soaked-bedding-in-sonia-varaschin-case

This indicates (I think) that Sonia was killed horribly in or near her bedroom. The killer then found the sheets an 'easy' way to get rid of evidence. Just awful.

Thoughts??

Varaschin murder probe entering its second year
2011-08-25 / Front Pa

By WES KELLER Freelance Reporter

Next Monday, August 29, will be a grim milestone for Orangeville, as it will mark the one-year anniversary of the murder of nurse Sonia Varaschin.

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2011-...in_murder_probe_entering_its_second_year.html
On Wednesday, Cst. Leon would not give the precise number of men who had provided samples.

But he expressed confidence that the case would get solved.

“It’s like a puzzle,” said Cst. Leon.

“There are a lot of pieces. Somewhere out there, someone has the final one and we will find it.”

This is so frustrating. I wish people who KNOW info would contact police about anything suspicious from that night and following morning of Aug 29th and Aug 30th. You can report info ANONYMOUSLY to police though crimestoppers tipline.

From the PROFILE:

Lead investigators did release a general profile that they created of Varaschin’s killer, hoping it might help them “zero in” on the killer by sparking further tips. In the days after Varaschin’s death or the discovery of her body on Sept. 5, police say the killer may have:

Increased alcohol or drug use.
Seemed irritable, agitated or anxious.
Moved from the area.
Limited social interactions to avoid detection.
Had unexplained absences from work, school or missed appointments.
Displayed other unusual behavior.

The suspect police say is likely very familiar with the Orangeville area and the gravel Beech Grove Sideroad, near Mountainview Road in Caledon, where Varaschin’s body was dumped. He may know it because of “recreation, occupation or illegal activities.”

http://www.insidecaledon.com/news/2...p-work-on-profile-of-sonia-varaschins-killer/

Quoted from Matou above:

Increased alcohol or drug use.
Seemed irritable, agitated or anxious.
Moved from the area.
Limited social interactions to avoid detection.
Had unexplained absences from work, school or missed appointments.
Displayed other unusual behavior.

Agreed - it IS so very frustrating.:banghead: The 'easiest' thing would be if the perp lived in a landlord type of place. If anyone moved you'd think rational people (landlords, girlfriends, parents) would certainly call LE.:eek:

Or, unless he is a complete loner? But still, something would have changed in his behaviour. Even more illegal drug use - I'd hope the drug dealer would call 222-TIPS! Really, I mean it!!

And another quote from Matou's post above:

The suspect police say is likely very familiar with the Orangeville area and the gravel Beech Grove Sideroad, near Mountainview Road in Caledon, where Varaschin’s body was dumped. He may know it because of “recreation, occupation or illegal activities.”

Something just hit me as I read this again - *I* am very familiar with the city of Montreal because I did my graduate studies there. So, should this be a Canada wide hunt?

It's one year looking for this person (including the DNA swabbing) with no results.

Thoughts???????:waiting:

And another quote from Matou's post above:

Something just hit me as I read this again - *I* am very familiar with the city of Montreal because I did my graduate studies there. So, should this be a Canada wide hunt?

It's one year looking for this person (including the DNA swabbing) with no results.

Thoughts???????:waiting:

I wonder if maybe there already is a "Canada wide hunt" for suspects who maybe regularly or periodically go to visit the Orangeville area... for work,school,visit family after going away to college, maybe a summercamp as a camper or an employee or trainee...Anyone could come from anywhere and as you say "be very familiar".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member