CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 25 experts met at a hotel near Toronto's Pearson International Airport last week to dissect the case "moment by moment, event by event," including visits to the three crime sites, to try to piece together a profile of the man who killed Varaschin.

In attendance were criminal profilers from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation's Virginia-based behavioural analysis unit, Ontario Provincial Police and the RCMP, plus senior homicide investigators from several forces, including York Region, Toronto and Ottawa.

Also among those at the summit were several members of the OPP's behavioural sciences unit, who were involved in the case of Russell Williams, the former military commander who killed two women, attacked two others and broke into dozens of Tweed-area and Ottawa homes.

Police have released few details about how Varaschin died and even refuse to reveal the weapon used.

Thanks for all the links re yesterday's press conference. It is obvious LE knows a lot more than what they have revealed so far, and am very glad to read that they are very confident they will catch Sonia's killer.
This is a lovely picture of Sonia
63191_159810337381367_152194018142999_424406_1063591_n.jpg

snippet from the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) site:
News Release

December 16 2010

UPDATE - SONIA VARASCHIN MURDER
Investigative Summit

In order to focus the police manhunt for the killer, the following theories are being made public:​
  • Investigators believe that the man that is responsible for the murder of Sonia VARASCHIN is very familiar with Orangeville and likely the Beechgrove Sideroad in the Town of Caledon, specifically in the area that Sonia's body was discovered.

• The location where Sonia's body was found is an area that the offender may be comfortable with and is likely known to him whether as a result of recreation, occupation or illegal activity.

• Within the days following the murder of Sonia VARASCHIN (August 29-30, 2010) and again within days following the discovery of her body (September 5, 2010), the behaviours displayed by the killer may have been seen as out of the ordinary or unusual by his family, associates, friends or others that may have had interaction with him.

• These behaviours may include things like unexplained absences from his usual activities, whether work, school or missed appointments.

• There may have been an increase in his alcohol or drug use and he would have been seen as irritable, agitated or anxious.

• This person may have also moved from the area or limited his social interactions to avoid detection.

Investigators are confident that this case will be solved and are continuing to seek the assistance of the public with this investigation. Detective Inspector Mark Pritchard, of the OPP CIB and lead investigator has stated, "We are releasing these behavioural traits in a bid to zero in on Sonia's killer. Someone familiar with the killer will recognize these traits and we are appealing to those people to contact us immediately".

Investigators are also asking anyone with any information with regards to a male that was known to be in possession of or may have been observed wearing the specific Dakota or Wind River brand, size 10 or 11 boots that were earlier shared, has displayed similar or some of the behaviours described above, has knowledge of the Town of Orangeville and has a connection to the Beechgrove Sideroad in the Town of Caledon to please contact the Orangeville Police Service Tip Line at (519) 941-2522, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

(more at link below)

OPP News Release: http://www.opp.ca/ecms/index.php?id=405&nid=483

I am still wondering about the following things:

-Why did the perp(s) remove Sonia from her home? As LE said, it was extremely risky to do so. Did the perp want to re-visit her remains site, afterwards? Did he want to delay the discovery of her remains? Trying to eliminate evidence?

-Does LE have the perp on video driving Sonia's vehicle? Surely they must.

-Why were the doors and trunk left open (and WERE the doors and trunk left open?)

-Who has moved away from Orangeville since Sonia's death?

-Who was screaming that night, as the neighbour reported? Was it Sonia? Was it the perp(s)?

-Why was Sonia murdered?

I don't know, there is just something about this answer that makes me wonder.

“In Canada, this type of crime is highly rare,” OPP Det. Insp. Mark Pritchard said of why such a respected team of investigators was brought in.

“Our criminal profiling unit works closely with the FBI. We do research with them. They were interested in this case,” he added.

Asked later about what sparked that interest, Pritchard said, “Part of it is because of the low risk of the victim, the circumstances — a professional woman alone in her home, that’s not leading a high-risk lifestyle, the risk of the person that came into her home and the behaviours involved, and just the fact that it remains unsolved.

Pritchard acknowledged the theories are intentionally “vague” in order not to inadvertently cause someone to dismiss a suspicion or information they may have about the case.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s vague, we’ll still follow it up,” he said after the news conference. “There was a great deal more that came from this meeting, but this is all we’re willing to release today.”

Anyone with information about the case, including suspicions regarding the investigative theories, is asked to call a dedicated tip hotline at 519-941-2522, ext. 2211 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

http://www.orangeville.com/website/...-sonia-s-cold-blooded-killer-remains-at-large

I don't know, there is just something about this answer that makes me wonder.

I agree. Also, didn't it take a long time for Sonia to be returned to her family for funeral arrangements, like a whole month after she was positively identified? No details have been released about the manner of her death and I wonder if this is one of the reasons why the FBI are assisting with this case.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...rack-cases-101217/20101217?hub=TorontoNewHome
Former RCMP criminal profiler Glenn Woods told CTV's Canada AM that police create criminal profiles to give themselves a better picture of a killer and to describe that killer to the public.

"The profiles aren't just for the police. We can't solve these things without the help and assistance of the public," Woods said during an interview from Ottawa on Friday morning.

"So, if we provide as much information as we can about the offender, that's when tips come in for police to follow up and investigate."

At another website posters seem to think this cold case from 1988 is very similar to Sonia Varaschin's murder.

http://sarnialambtoncrimestoppers.org/davis.php

Thanks for that one AngelinTheDark, I never knew of this case,but I do see some similiarities with SV .
http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1164414
A trail of blood leading away from her body caused police to believe the attacker was cut during a life-and-death struggle with the woman.

Police have collected more than 500 statements and 400 police officer reports since 1988 when a 10-member team was assigned to the case.

The last time she was seen alive was 11 p. m. on Aug. 23. At that time she told a coworker she might be taking a couple of days off work.

Morning newspapers from the 24th and 25th were untouched on her door step.

On Aug. 23, she had been talking with a travel agent about a flight to England. She had a mother and sister living in Scotland.

Davies, an agent with Canada Trust for three years after she left nursing, was described by a colleague as a friendly but private person.

She was the kind of lady every father hopes his daughter will grow up to be, he had said.

This link gives a complete timeline of events.
http://www.police.sarnia.on.ca/docs/Morag Davies chronology for websiteJul09.pdf

http://www.caledonenterprise.com/article/94647
Residential and commercial property frustrated by border
Tuesday December 7 2010
By Matthew Strader, Enterprise Staff
Attilio Varaschin points to the tree line that separates his property on Albion Vaughan Road from the commercial lot he and his wife say is disturbing their lives. It appears, however, to legitimize their complaints, they need some of their neighbours to come forward.
Attilio and Michele Varaschin have a complaint.

It’s that nothing is being done about their complaint.

Going on nearly four years now, they have been approaching the Town of Caledon about a business that backs onto their property, M and C Landscapers.

According to the Town, every complaint has been followed up on, leaving the Varaschins to continue to live with a business they say is disturbing their lives.

What appears to be happening is an unfortunate connection of two borders that may just never get along – a residential and commercial property that cannot live with each other

Sorry, 3 in a row, but I don't think this link has already been posted. Maybe I should check out that
show Criminal Minds!

"A room full of experienced minds is better than one," said Staff Sgt. Mike Haarbosch with Ottawa's major crime section. "It's putting a group of experienced homicide detectives or people with various expertise in the room to discuss an unsolved case to ascertain if there are any other avenues of investigation that could be explored."

Haarbosch said the summit also gave the Ottawa detectives the opportunity to learn new investigative techniques from other police services.

On Thursday, police said they turned to profilers with other forces to help crack the case.

Agents from the FBI's behavioural analysis unit in Quantico, Virginia -- the same section featured on the TV show Criminal Minds -- were helping to build a profile of Varaschin's killer.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/O...+murder+case/3990990/story.html#ixzz18fdSw9oJ

Thanks for that one AngelinTheDark, I never knew of this case,but I do see some similiarities with SV .
http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1164414
A trail of blood leading away from her body caused police to believe the attacker was cut during a life-and-death struggle with the woman.

Police have collected more than 500 statements and 400 police officer reports since 1988 when a 10-member team was assigned to the case.

The last time she was seen alive was 11 p. m. on Aug. 23. At that time she told a coworker she might be taking a couple of days off work.

Morning newspapers from the 24th and 25th were untouched on her door step.

On Aug. 23, she had been talking with a travel agent about a flight to England. She had a mother and sister living in Scotland.

Davies, an agent with Canada Trust for three years after she left nursing, was described by a colleague as a friendly but private person.

She was the kind of lady every father hopes his daughter will grow up to be, he had said.

This link gives a complete timeline of events.
http://www.police.sarnia.on.ca/docs/Morag Davies chronology for websiteJul09.pdf

The similarities are interesting but I'd have to think that they have the suspect's DNA in Sonia's case and most likely this past case as well. Reading between the lines for me seems to indicate that the DNA profile that they have for the suspect in Sonia's case does not match up to anyone in Sonia's circle of friends/family, any known record on file or any other case on file.

MOO

New article, not much new... talks about family missing Sonia over Christmas....

Police won’t discuss suspects, motive or weapons involved in the case. They do, however, believe the killer is someone who knew Sonia, though she may not have known him.

About the FBI involment in the case..
Asked later about what sparked that interest, Pritchard said, “Part of it is because of the low risk of the victim, the circumstances — a professional woman alone in her home, that’s not leading a high-risk lifestyle, the risk of the person that came into her home and the behaviours involved, and just the fact that it remains unsolved.”

Then at the end the police ask for people to call in tips and "exercise personal safety while in public and in their home".

It seems they have no clue who killed her, no person of interest at all.

http://www.caledonenterprise.com/news/article/95019

New article, not much new... talks about family missing Sonia over Christmas....

Police won’t discuss suspects, motive or weapons involved in the case. They do, however, believe the killer is someone who knew Sonia, though she may not have known him.

About the FBI involment in the case..
Asked later about what sparked that interest, Pritchard said, “Part of it is because of the low risk of the victim, the circumstances — a professional woman alone in her home, that’s not leading a high-risk lifestyle, the risk of the person that came into her home and the behaviours involved, and just the fact that it remains unsolved.”

Then at the end the police ask for people to call in tips and "exercise personal safety while in public and in their home".

It seems they have no clue who killed her, no person of interest at all.

http://www.caledonenterprise.com/news/article/95019
:waitasec: I am pondering about two statements from your post, Collette. I don't want to take those statements out of context by just highlighting part of them, but for some reason, those lines jumped at me, JMHO.

- They do, however, believe the killer is someone who knew Sonia, though she may not have known him.

- Then at the end the police ask for people to call in tips and "exercise personal safety while in public and in their home".

I'm still very curious as to why they seemed to have indicated, right from the beginning, that they believe that the person knew Sonia even though she didn't necessarily know them. Do they mean that they knew enough about her to know where she lived?

We have speculated a lot on what they could mean by this. Maybe we could look into it and the workboots again.

The work boots that they were believed to have been wearing are considered to be a little pricey for a general labourer although certain businesses pay for part or all of a person's work boots if they are required for the job. Some companies have agreements with Mark's and give their employees 10 percent discount cards for that store. I believe that some of the big box hardware/lumber stores do this. Does anyone know of any other type of company that may do this? Is MMW popular among construction workers even though they are pricier than other department stores for work clothes and shoes?

Would young people who are required to wear construction boots for a job prefer to shop at MMW because a cheaper department store such as Walmart would be embarrassing to them? Do they buy construction boots as a fashion statement anymore? I think it might have been "in" at one time but don't think it really is anymore. :waitasec:

Wouldn't an auto mechanic wear this type of boot? How old was Sonia's car? Was she still taking it to her dealer or did she know of a shop that she trusted? Where did she buy it? An auto shop or dealer would know her address.

What other habits did she have that placed her in a business or area of Orangeville where someone who wore construction boots might have been working and might have had access to her address? :waitasec:

My other possiblilities have always been that it's a completely random act by someone who happened upon her unlocked door from that back ravine or a very close by neighbour, of any age, who had been watching her and her behaviours for some time. Of course knowing the cause of death and possible motive should be giving LE a huge advantage but it doesn't seem to be helping them to figure out who it could be.

:banghead:

:waitasec: I am pondering about two statements from your post, Collette. I don't want to take those statements out of context by just highlighting part of them, but for some reason, those lines jumped at me, JMHO.

- They do, however, believe the killer is someone who knew Sonia, though she may not have known him.

- Then at the end the police ask for people to call in tips and "exercise personal safety while in public and in their home".

What it says to me is that whomever killed her had been stalking/watching her and they think he might strike again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025