CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something FromGermany wrote just gave me this thought. Do we know if the killer arrived at Sonia’s home in a vehicle or was none seen? Why would he use Sonia’s car to dispose of the body, other than the huge amount of blood. Why did he leave her car in such a public place?
Odd isn't it, the perp leaves the bloody car in a very public place, leaves blood on SV's front stairs for all to see and yet, finds it necessary to hide the wrapped in blood-soaked bedsheets, body belonging to Sonia? imo.

''In a news conference Friday, Ontario Provincial Police Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard said police are looking for 42-year-old Sonia Varaschin’s beige or cream-coloured bed sheet and comforter that’s likely blood-soaked.

Investigators said the suspect likely walked out of the house with her bedding and possibly used it to wrap up, transport or dispose of her body.

“The blood would be expected to be on both footwear and clothing, so we’re asking that anybody who knows anybody that came home on Monday with unexplained blood on their clothing or their footwear contact the police so we can look into that matter,” said Insp. Pritchard.''

''Varaschin’s blood-splattered white Toyota Corolla was discovered abandoned in a laneway early Monday. More blood was found at her townhouse.

Police said she was driven from her townhouse and dumped, before the suspect returned the vehicle to her home.

New evidence shows the suspect may have seen and known Varaschin, but could have been a complete stranger to her.''

A few things from dotr above:
Was her car left near her home? Was her home near the public place?
<modsnip: No link to information stated as fact>

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things from dotr above:
Was her car left near her home? Was her home near the public place?
<modsnip: No link to information stated as fact>
Police say it's believed the 42-year-old nurse was murdered in her home on Spring Street, and have said her car and home were stained with blood.

They've released surveillance video of a gazebo in Alexandra Park behind Orangeville's town hall - in an area close to where police say Varaschin's vehicle was left in the early morning hours of the day she disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
From dotr’s link above:

Police said she was driven from her townhouse and dumped, before the suspect returned the vehicle to her home.

Are LE giving incorrect info? Because we all know that her car was found away from her home. Confusing to say the least. I just wish LE would be more forthcoming with media and all of us. What are they hiding? :mad:

Where did Sonia Varaschin live?

Andrews Road in Caledon. Based on where her car was abandoned, where Varaschin lived and where she was found, Glassford said it gives an indication her killer was familiar with the area. Speaking to The Banner on Wednesday, Aug.

Andrews Road in Caledon. Based on where her car was abandoned, where Varaschin lived and where she was found, Glassford said it gives an indication her killer was familiar with the area. Speaking to The Banner on Wednesday, Aug.
Some very intriguing posts (re potential poi, speculation) by deleted member on this thread, also included in one of their posts a map indicating all the places of interest.

post #126 Ancaster to St. Catharines

Were the toll roads in place in 2010? I suppose a perp would simply avoid them. Thinking out loud again.

Article from 2023

Detective Inspector Shawn Glassford with the Ontario Provincial Police is working on Sonia’s case. He said it is not too late for people to come forward with information about this unsolved crime.

“Don’t worry you are not going to be judged by keeping something to yourself for 12 years. Absolutely not. We want that piece of information. I truly believe the community is going to help up solve this case,” said Detective Inspector Glassford.

Last edited:

Sonia did not live on Andrews Road in Caledon, she lived on Spring Street in Orangeville.

Sonias car was found parked at the Greenhawk Equestrian Tack Shop which is a 2 minute drive/8 minute walk (via Google) from the townhouse on Spring Street where SV lived.

FWIW there happens to be a Greenhawk Equestrian Shop in Caledon at 200 Pine Avenue.

Some folks think I’m nuts trying to connect Sonia, Audrey and Shelley. But the longer these three crimes go unsolved, the more I’m thinking they might be the same perp. If one of them was to be solved, I would change my thinking. It’s too weird that LE has failed with all three crimes. JMO

I had to look this up for all of us:

What is STRmix DNA?

STRmix™ is expert forensic software, developed by ESR and Forensic Science South Australia (FSSA), that can resolve previously unresolvable mixed DNA profiles. STRmix™ uses a fully continuous approach for DNA profile interpretation, resolving complex DNA mixtures worldwide.

So, if used in Sonia’s case, are we to assume that LE think there were multiple killers involved?
BBM

Not necessarily. I haven't read anything since following this case to indicate that there was more than one perpetrator.

The only information I can recall that would have hinted towards multiple offenders would be 1- The gazebo footage. There were 2 figures seen in the video footage IIRC both appear male IMO. 2- The "noisy neighbors" from the townhouse a few doors down.

When LE said they had DNA and it was said to be an admixture, I've always assumed it was a mixture of SVs' DNA and the killers DNA. (how hard would it be to separate, what is taking so long??)

That has always led me to wonder what type of DNA could have been mixed together. I imagine that depending upon the sources of DNA found, different combinations could illustrate or paint an entirely different picture of what happened.

Some folks think I’m nuts trying to connect Sonia, Audrey and Shelley. But the longer these three crimes go unsolved, the more I’m thinking they might be the same perp. If one of them was to be solved, I would change my thinking. It’s too weird that LE has failed with all three crimes. JMO
I wouldn't say they've failed but it does seem to be taking a long time to solve any of them. I cannot imagine how the families must feel :(

It would be great to see progress in even one of these three cases. Unfortunately there are hundreds of cases just like this one and we're all here asking the same questions, year after year.

I’ve always felt there is an answer in this article

The supervisor, Michele says, challenged why Sonia had changed the doctor's orders without authorization and created tension in the workplace.
"She would come home crying every night," Michele says. "She felt she was being treated like a criminal. She couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to hire a lawyer, but she refused."

——————

Do we know which « orders » Sonia changed? How did it affect the patient? Was it something simple or was it something that would enragé a doctor? Only doctors have the POWER to write prescriptions. Was a male ego bruised? Did LE speak to this doctor?

Last edited:
Do we know what happened to her cat? Killed also or did he escape?
''Jasmine, the beloved feline companion of murdered Orangeville woman Sonia Varaschin, is safe and sound in the arms of family. The cat escaped around the time Sonia went missing — it’s not known exactly when or how — and was repeatedly spotted by neighbours in her Spring Street townhouse complex. For nearly two weeks the black, white and orange Calico with missing teeth rebuffed attempts by neighbours, family and others to bring her back indoors. “She is safe, happy and healthy.''

An old profile of the killer

Excerpt

There are also clues from where he parked Varaschin’s white Toyota, which was found at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 30, 2010, on Dairy Lane, a little roadway in Orangeville which runs parallel to Broadway, the main street.

Dairy Lane is a minor street, not well known by outsiders.

That location suggests the killer might be familiar with Orangeville’s streets.

If the killer drove the Toyota along the main route of Broadway after the murder, he would have had to make several three-point turns for the car to end up on the angle in which it was parked.

If he drove down nearby Third Street, he would have had to swing around widely to park.

Either of those manoeuvres would likely have attracted attention.

But he wouldn’t likely be noticed if he just drove down Dairy Lane and left the Toyota where it was found.

In the absence of any new ideas on my part, I'm trying to go over older questions and discussions and to think if there's anything we might have missed or which merits re-visiting....
Sorry for the difficult details in what follows, but: the blood evidence on Sonia's front steps suggests to me she was dragged rather than carried/lifted to the car, wrapped in the bedding. (I know this is not the only possibility but it strikes me as the more likely.) Does this suggest there was only one perp? Is it possible he was not very physically strong (couldn't achieve the "fireman's carry") -? And/or was injured in the attack? The blood smear on Sonia's trunk also suggests that she was not easily "lifted" in.....

Do others have thoughts on this?
He might have intended to place Sonia deeper into the wooded area where she was found but ran out of steam or strength....

Might folks be prompted to think about any males slighter in build and/or who might have had unexplained pulled muscles or back pain in early September? (We don't actually know if he would have marks from a struggle with Sonia because, iirc, that info has not been addressed by LE. If she had the perp's DNA under her nails, that might suggest defense.)

I'm also thinking about timeline details. IIRC, the bf indicated he spoke with Sonia on the phone Sunday evening; her mother reported that she did not receive a call from Sonia that night, which was atypical (Sonia would call her mom unless she was out or had a visitor).... What does this suggest to us? I know we can't be certain of anything without more info.

WHAT ARE WE MISSING? WHO MIGHT HAVE THAT LITTLE BIT OF INFO TO MOVE SONIA'S CASE FORWARD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18