CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heartily add my appreciation, Lexiintoronto!!
I'm not sure we ever had that info about basement (-only) access to the garage! (Apologies if we did and I somehow missed it or have forgotten now.) I recall a LOT of debate as to whether or not these townhomes were built without (any) indoor access to the garage -- but how else could we make sense of the exit via the front steps -? Your post, Lexi+, makes more sense and helps put some of that speculation more reasonably to rest. Kudos and thank you!

Today is a very hard day, I'm sure, for Sonia's family and friends (and for many here, too, searching for justice for her). Today we mark the 13th "anniversary" of Sonia's murder and, devastatingly, her case remains unsolved.

Today, especially, my thoughts, condolences, wishes are with everyone who knew and loved her.

Google's decision to remove Canadian news content from its engine in the wake of of Canada's "Online News Act" makes it harder for us to find and share updates. But I'm hoping we will have some word/update from LE today, and I'm hoping for hope -- some glimmer of movement forward in her case.

Today is a very hard day, I'm sure, for Sonia's family and friends (and for many here, too, searching for justice for her). Today we mark the 13th "anniversary" of Sonia's murder and, devastatingly, her case remains unsolved.

Today, especially, my thoughts, condolences, wishes are with everyone who knew and loved her.

Google's decision to remove Canadian news content from its engine in the wake of of Canada's "Online News Act" makes it harder for us to find and share updates. But I'm hoping we will have some word/update from LE today, and I'm hoping for hope -- some glimmer of movement forward in her case.

The only article today I’ve found so far:

“Over the past 13 years, investigators say they have not given up hope that someone has the missing piece of information that will help identify the person(s) responsible for Sonia’s murder and bring resolution to her family. The homicide investigation remains active under the direction of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch. The OPP will never close an unsolved homicide.

A $50,000 reward continues to be offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Sonia VARASCHIN. Over 1,500 tips have been received from the public. Investigators continue to seek public assistance for information that will lead to an arrest.”
BB5F0486-8ECE-43EA-A5F5-DCA04A1BB1FD.jpeg
D6BC8B65-8A21-47AF-AB8F-DBF3DCFE5819.jpeg

From the article above:
Anyone with information, no matter how minor, is asked to contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or ontariocrimestoppers.ca.

New video at link.
Aug. 30, 2023 rbbm.
'Ontario police vow never to stop searching for the person responsible for the death of Sonia Varaschin.
The 42-year-old woman's remains were found on Aug. 30, 2010, in a wooded area just off Beechgrove Sideroad in Caledon after officers discovered her blood-stained car in an alley behind Orangeville town hall.'

''The OPP remains adamant the killer will be caught. "We have your DNA. Look over your shoulder because the day will come when you will be arrested and held accountable for your actions."

'' Aug 30, 2022
12 years ago, Sonia Varaschin was found murdered. Her murder remain unsolved. Faiza Amin checks in with the latest information from police.'

I also have Sonia in my thoughts this week. There has to be a good reason that this killer has eluded LE for all of these years. I am ruling out the following reasons:
- he’s in/been in jail
- he has moved FAR AWAY ( outside of Canada )
- he’s dead

Aug 31 2023 rbbm

'It’s been nearly 13 years since Sonia Varaschin was found murdered in Caledon and police are still searching for that one lead that will lead to her killer.'
''Investigators have received more than 1,500 tips since the body of 42-year-old Sonia Varaschin was discovered in a wooded area just off Beechgrove Side Road in Caledon on Sept. 5, 2010.''

''Investigators found blood on the rear trunk area of the vehicle, and when police went to check on Varaschin at her home they discovered evidence of “a violent event” – police say there was “a great deal of blood” inside the home as well as on the front step''

“Sonia was targeted, however, she may have not known who did this to her, but they knew who she was,” said Det. Insp. Shawn Glassford of the OPP.''
1693574941468.png
1693574961374.png

1693574989912.png
1693575014494.png

Hi all,

I’m new to the case, and I’m surprised I never heard of it as I live two hours from Orangeville.

Two questions:

1. Has there been any discussion about the possibility of a workplace fling, or a relationship with a patient?

2. Does anyone else find the location of the parked car, behind the town hall, very suspect? Why park it in such a high profile location? Or was this done so that the car would “blend in” and not raise any eyebrows?

Thanks!

Aug 31 2023 rbbm

'It’s been nearly 13 years since Sonia Varaschin was found murdered in Caledon and police are still searching for that one lead that will lead to her killer.'
''Investigators have received more than 1,500 tips since the body of 42-year-old Sonia Varaschin was discovered in a wooded area just off Beechgrove Side Road in Caledon on Sept. 5, 2010.''

''Investigators found blood on the rear trunk area of the vehicle, and when police went to check on Varaschin at her home they discovered evidence of “a violent event” – police say there was “a great deal of blood” inside the home as well as on the front step''

“Sonia was targeted, however, she may have not known who did this to her, but they knew who she was,” said Det. Insp. Shawn Glassford of the OPP.''
View attachment 444186
View attachment 444187

View attachment 444188
View attachment 444189
Are these photos from the actual scene? It's really graphic tbh I feel so bad for looking :(

I also wish LE had never mentioned the DNA. It's been mentioned as if it were intimidation but this many years on, it's an empty threat.

I can never remember if any weapon was mentioned? IIRC there was some mention of a kitchen knife but a number of the details seem to have come from SVs' mother and not LE.

@helix527 I think the general assumption about the vehicle is that whoever parked it there chose that location because: it was close to their own home, it was close to their own vehicle, it was inconspicuous (was it tho?).

IMHO the killer used SVs vehicle to move her to buy time and distance. Possibly also to avoid transferring more DNA into their own vehicle.

I’ve been thinking about the “boots”. Some people wear them for fashion. However, the time of year when Sonia was killed, would not be the time to wear boots… unless you had to. If someone was planning to pay her a social visit and walk up the front steps and ring the doorbell in the summer, I don’t think they would wear boots. If their job required them to wear boots, they might do so. If I understand correctly, there was a field of some sort behind her backyard. If one was planning to come in unseen, from behind her home, they might need boots to walk through high grass, mud, possibly some water ( puddle, creek, not sure what’s back there), potential rodents, bugs, snakes. My opinion is, this person had to wear boots to get through whatever was in the field to sneak in quietly and unsuspected, which indicates bad intentions right from the start, and not a date or planned visit gone wrong.

There were some questions posted about Sonia’s garage. “Jash” posted a picture on August 30, 2023 of her home with the garage open. It looks like there were a lot of items inside, including a lawn mower. In my opinion, it does not look like there was room for a car in there.

Also note: Orangeville Police began the initial investigation - OPP took over. My gut says OPP officer. Medium on the force. No one special. They had just met and maybe were flirting or whatever, (first responder here, I get it, we joke and flirt to make it a bit easier).

Given the circumstances and facts, I totally believe the killer was OPP, or OPP adjacent. Total speculation!!!!

@justsleuthin I agree in that it has to be someone who knows how to cover their tracks. Perhaps delete/lose evidence. I also strongly think this killer is right there among people, at the grocery store and at the gas station. JMO

Also note: Orangeville Police began the initial investigation - OPP took over. My gut says OPP officer. Medium on the force. No one special. They had just met and maybe were flirting or whatever, (first responder here, I get it, we joke and flirt to make it a bit easier).

Given the circumstances and facts, I totally believe the killer was OPP, or OPP adjacent. Total speculation!!!!
Why was the case handed over to the OPP? Thanks in advance.

OPP are issued boots as part of their uniform. Does anyone know if they are the same kind that the killer wore? The killer could have worn other boots, not necessarily their work boots. I just don’t know too many people who wear boots unless they have to, in August.

2010 rbbm
''At a news conference on Wednesday in Orangeville, they displayed four different sets of work boots -- two made by Dakota and two by WindRiver.

They are sized 10 or 11. The two brands are sold exclusively through Mark's Work Wearhouse. There is one outlet of the chain in Orangeville. Two others are located in Alliston and Bolton.''

"We believe that Sonia's killer is very familiar with Orangeville, with the outskirts of Orangeville, Sonia's neighbourhood, Sonia's townhouse -- and potentially Sonia herself," he added.''

1695315486813.png
1695313592669.png

Toronto Weather History for August 29, 2010​

8:00 pm
wt-14.svg
27 °CPassing clouds.13 km/h58%102.18 kPa24 km
9:00 pm
wt-14.svg
26 °CPassing clouds.11 km/h61%102.22 kPa24 km
10:00 pm
wt-14.svg
24 °CPassing clouds.13 km/h74%102.25 kPa24 km
11:00 pm
wt-14.svg
23 °CPassing clouds.13 km/h78%102.27 kPa24 km

Last edited:
Why was the case handed over to the OPP? Thanks in advance.
I believe it was given to OPP because it crossed two different towns, Caledon and Orangeville.

I'm wondering if the killer had parked in the same lot where they left SVs car and if so, did anyone see anything that day/evening? I guess there is no parking lot security cameras either. Of course by now, LE have probably run that down. If the killer didn't drive their own vehicle to the vicinity of Sonias townhome, then how did they get to and from? Did they choose this location knowing there was no security?

My mind goes back to those front steps, they tell a story. Terrifying that anyone could be in the front of a townhouse, in a complex, taking a body out the front door and putting into a trunk in the driveway for anyone to see :oops:

What would Sonias car keys look like? Just out of curiosity.

what type of job would you have if you wore work boots and commonly to the neighborhood performed the tasks in the dark of the night?

A few come to mind. But the link below has so many more.

Hydro worker
Maintenance worker
Delivery Driver
Technical Service worker

Which professionals work at night?

Top 16 Overnight Shift Jobs
  • Emergency Room Doctor. Evenings are the busiest time for emergency rooms, so there is a strong demand for doctors to work night shifts. ...
  • Air Traffic Controller. ...
  • Physician Assistant. ...
  • Medical Sonographer. ...
  • Registered Nurse. ...
  • Police Officer. ...
  • Firefighter. ...
  • Paramedic/EMT.

These overnight shift professions really do resonate with her career in healthcare, excluding the air traffic controller all others are in that field. If her Mother is correct and she had her new nightgown on and then she thinks SV was with someone romantically, who had a career in this field, who knew the landscape between SV and her ex boyfriends residence and would be wearing Marks Work Warehouse boots at this time of night?
We had a furnace man who did no heat calls at night and wore boots. Just a thought

We had a furnace man who did no heat calls at night and wore boots. Just a thought
I thought possibly some kind of property maintenance for the complex.

Someone who could explain their presence in the area on that evening. Do they mean someone who could explain their presence on the property of SVs home? It's private property.

I've been following the Kohberger case which, afawk was a random attack on 4 people the perp. didn't have any history or connections to. There is seemingly no motive.

There must be something after the fact. Someone attending a memorial, revisiting the scene, talking about it with others around them. Something has to give. Or, is this a seasoned person who knows already how to do it and get away?

Just thinking, the work boots don't have to be indicative of their line of work.

Idk why but my gut always wanders to Brad Priestap. If only they could do something with the DNA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Renayz23