CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm also wondering (again!) if Sonia had a cell phone -- does anyone know? And what cell data for her townhouse complex may have been available in summer 2010? Is there any way to know if there was a number pinging close to her phone or to her home that night which might be unexpected or otherwise relevant?
(I know this Q doesn't help if the perp either didn't have a cell phone or planned enough not to bring it that night)

I was also looking again at the OPP video on Sonia's case (
) -- and scrutinizing the interior of her car at the 1:57m mark. It's obvious the front driver and passenger seats are in different positions, which was probably typical: Sonia was not tall and her bf was. It strikes me (does it you, too?) that the driver's seat is pulled too close for entry and comfort in the video image. Even if someone of same size as Sonia is the perp, I don't see how possible it would be for them to get their body into the seat under the steering wheel. I expect the perp adjusted the seat to enter -- but this looks like they also adjusted the seat on exiting! If this is right, what does this tell us about them? The seat position could speak, I expect, to estimations re: height and leg length, surely? Once more, I am thinking this is someone who was (at least, after the fact) planning and covering. I remain less sure about the "young and reckless"/on drugs profile -- MOO.

Were there any regular/bloody palm or finger prints on the seat adjuster, parking break? Door handles? Was the mirror adjusted -- and readjusted back, also? I posted years ago re: how a detective I met on holiday indicated that shiny surfaces -- and rearview mirrors in car thefts, especially -- tend to yield better prints.
You can see in the video that shows the car interior that there are what appear to be (to me, at least) kind of dusty-ish footprints in the floormat on the passenger side. I'm not suggesting that those prints may be evidence (unless there WERE, as some suspect, more than 1 perp that night); rather, I'm thinking about the driver's side. We know there was a bloody bootprint at one of the scenes. I assumed this came from the townhouse -- but the driver floormat is also a very strong possibility. Was evidence found on the pedals, as well?

Most of all, I just keep asking myself: what are we/LE missing??????? I know LE wants this case solved, as we all do. What will it take? I guess it doesn't hurt to keep reminding ourselves that if there's even that one niggling piece of info -- a thought or knowledge that keeps popping up/rests uneasy -- that it's more-than-ever important to call it in as a tip.

It has been far too many years already.
RIP, Sonia. Thoughts and well wishes as always for your family and friends.

I do agree with all you've stated above. How well was the car investigated by LE? I'm 5'6" and I pull my driver's seat waaaaaay up because I like to be close with the steering wheel. So much so, that it's difficult for ME to even get out. Perhaps Sonia was the same way?
Were the floor mats and the entire interior/exterior gone over with a fine toothed comb? And HOW has this murderer not been caught? Was the radio station changed? Little things can mean so much.

I believe LE still has Sonia's car in its evidence lot -- does that sound right to those of us here who may remember better than I do? Would it be worth investigators taking another sweep for evidence? (I'm not suggesting LE didn't do a careful search already; I'm just grasping, I guess, for anything that might move the needle on this case.) Sigh....

On another note:
I know several of us here have wondered about the possibilities of connections between Sonia's case and others. Kera Freeland has a websleuths page; she was a beautiful young woman (who had faced some hardships) whose body "was discovered just down the road from where Varaschin was found, in a roadside ditch on Heart Lake Road in March 2011" (ANALYSIS: Why is Caledon a dumping ground for urban criminals?) -- less than a year after Sonia's murder. In 2013, Kera's roommate, CA, was arrested in her murder. So many years have passed and I assumed Kera's case was solved. But a few of us have been in discussion on her WS page and we can't find ANY info on conviction or sentencing of CA, which seems odd.

I had really considered, when Kera was first found, that her case and Sonia's could be linked -- the location where her body was found requires, I'd think, holding that possibility. With the arrest of the roommate, I assumed (for several reasons) I was mistaken. Now, I'm wondering if Kera has had any justice -- and I'm back to thinking about these 2 women whose bodies were left in (it's still hard to type) 'roadside ditches.' I am only asking on Sonia's page because of the lingering idea of potential connection: does anyone familiar with Sonia's case have any info (or perhaps better research skills) re: KF's case? Was there a conviction?
COULD these cases be linked???????

I believe LE still has Sonia's car in its evidence lot -- does that sound right to those of us here who may remember better than I do? Would it be worth investigators taking another sweep for evidence? (I'm not suggesting LE didn't do a careful search already; I'm just grasping, I guess, for anything that might move the needle on this case.) Sigh....

On another note:
I know several of us here have wondered about the possibilities of connections between Sonia's case and others. Kera Freeland has a websleuths page; she was a beautiful young woman (who had faced some hardships) whose body "was discovered just down the road from where Varaschin was found, in a roadside ditch on Heart Lake Road in March 2011" (ANALYSIS: Why is Caledon a dumping ground for urban criminals?) -- less than a year after Sonia's murder. In 2013, Kera's roommate, CA, was arrested in her murder. So many years have passed and I assumed Kera's case was solved. But a few of us have been in discussion on her WS page and we can't find ANY info on conviction or sentencing of CA, which seems odd.

I had really considered, when Kera was first found, that her case and Sonia's could be linked -- the location where her body was found requires, I'd think, holding that possibility. With the arrest of the roommate, I assumed (for several reasons) I was mistaken. Now, I'm wondering if Kera has had any justice -- and I'm back to thinking about these 2 women whose bodies were left in (it's still hard to type) 'roadside ditches.' I am only asking on Sonia's page because of the lingering idea of potential connection: does anyone familiar with Sonia's case have any info (or perhaps better research skills) re: KF's case? Was there a conviction?
COULD these cases be linked???????
The quote from the link makes it sound like it's been solved?

"Of all the bodies that have turned up in the community, only two cases — Varaschin’s and Kaye’s — remain unsolved."

Whenever certain cases come up I think of Sonia and so many others. As with the LISK, there must be at least one or two of these same types among us. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back