CANADA Canada - Tania Murrell, 6, Edmonton, 20 Jan 1983

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/01/...turned-his-life-around-misses-his-best-friend

1297365558158_ORIGINAL.jpg

Wonder what the rest of the letters in the name are?

"He was known as Uncle 'L' to John Murrell and his sister, Tania.

And according to the Edmonton police homicide detectives, he is the only "person of interest" in the case of missing city girl Tania Murrell.

John remembers him well, saying, "I would like to talk to Uncle 'L' and ask him if he knows what happened to Tania."

Uncle 'L', in his 30s in the early 1980s, was a family friend who often spent time at the Murrell home in the years before Tania's disappearance. "He was close to us. He was good to Tania and myself but my mom said after Tania disappeared that Uncle 'L' was weird sometimes and that he probably did it," said John.

The man left Edmonton and moved to Ontario in the spring of 1983. His whereabouts today are not known".

rbbm.

This main suspect has been investigated this entire time and no arrest. I think it's time we look at other people as well who had contact with this family and could of gained the trust of Tania enough to have lured her away. The person who is the other apparent father figure interests me as does the person who was owed and who was not happy. Who are these two people?

If Tania headed for the 711, because she had some money, or was promised money,
could it be that she met her abductor there before? imo.
Maybe that is why she seemed to be confident going there on her own, imo. and maybe a little excited too, ie. changing into black Harley t shirt.
Maybe she planned to skip school that day all along?
When the schoolmate said she had to wait for her sibling, wonder if Tania said anything about not waiting that day for her brother?
Did anyone else miss school that day? imo.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/...x-year-old-tania-murrell-still-has-nightmares
“Tania said she had some money and she was going to the 7-Eleven for lunch”, said Brandy-Jo Ewashko, who was a six-year-old girl standing just outside the north doors of Grovenor School on Jan. 20, 1983, when her best friend, Tania, walked up to her.

She turned Tania’s offer down because she had gotten into trouble from her mother for not waiting for her brother, Peter, the previous day.

“I never did see any money and did not know if Tania was going to meet someone or not,” said Brandy-Jo. “I do know she wasn’t going home for lunch.”

HEADED FOR 7-ELEVEN

She last saw Tania walking alone in a southwest direction towards 144 Street away from the school, apparently towards a 7-Eleven, then located on Stony Plain Road at 147 Street."

https://byronchristopher.org/2012/10/10/tania-was-murdered/

This link has extensive information on the Murrell case. It is a fascinating read and answers many questions on the case, including who abducted and murdered Tania. If only her body could be found, to give her sister some closure.

Quite the read, thanks for posting!

Wish i knew what happened to the dog, Harley, surely it cannot be a coincidence that he disappeared too?

Not long after Tania vanished, so did Harley. No foul play suspected, said Jack at the time. Even so, it was still another hit for the Murrells.

30 years later, friend of missing six-year-old Tania Murrell still has nightmares
Tania said she had some money and she was going to the 7-Eleven for lunch, said Brandy-Jo Ewashko, who was a six-year-old girl standing just outside the north doors of Grovenor School on Jan. 20, 1983, when her best friend, Tania, walked up to her.

She turned Tanias offer down because she had gotten into trouble from her mother for not waiting for her brother, Peter, the previous day.

I never did see any money and did not know if Tania was going to meet someone or not, said Brandy-Jo. I do know she wasnt going home for lunch.

HEADED FOR 7-ELEVEN

She last saw Tania walking alone in a southwest direction towards 144 Street away from the school, apparently towards a 7-Eleven, then located on Stony Plain Road at 147 Street."

This article infuriates me. I grew up in Winnipeg, a city just as cold or colder than Edmonton. It was - 30C out, cold enough where you could catch frostbite within 5 minutes. Not 6 year old child is going to avoid walking less than 5 minutes in that weather to home, in order to walk at least 15 minutes to 7-11, especially when she was taught not to go there. It makes no sense.

<modsnip - sleuthing non POI>

source: 30 years later, friend of missing six-year-old Tania Murrell still has nightmares

<modsnip - sleuthing non POI>

Last edited by a moderator:
Tania and that ‘Family Friend’

This link has extensive information on the Murrell case. It is a fascinating read and answers many questions on the case, including who abducted and murdered Tania. If only her body could be found, to give her sister some closure.

The Byron Christopher article is by far and away, the best information about the Tania Murrell case. The main suspect was a family friend with a drinking problem, who also happened to have a long criminal record. Once the Police zeroed in on him being a suspect, he abruptly left with his wife halfway across the country to Southern Ontario. What's even more bizarre, is he named his first born female child "Tania".

<modsnip>

This main suspect has been investigated this entire time and no arrest. I think it's time we look at other people as well who had contact with this family and could of gained the trust of Tania enough to have lured her away. The person who is the other apparent father figure interests me as does the person who was owed and who was not happy. Who are these two people?

NO.

He is the ONLY suspect the Police have. In fact, Police have said they ahve enough circumstantial evidence to make an arrest as early as the mid 80s, but Crown Prosecutors argued against it, since it would ahve likely resulted in an acquittal. The suspect was no fool. He had been in trouble before, and never told police anything, and did not co-operate. If they ahd found Tania's body, it would ahve been a different story. Even the parents believe that he was responsible after a couple of years. The Police in Canada have a better record of solving homicides than in America, and this is just one of those cases where they eliminated every single suspect, and all the evidence keeps pointing at one man, who will not cooperate.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/01/...turned-his-life-around-misses-his-best-friend

View attachment 80312

Wonder what the rest of the letters in the name are?

"He was known as Uncle 'L' to John Murrell and his sister, Tania.

And according to the Edmonton police homicide detectives, he is the only "person of interest" in the case of missing city girl Tania Murrell.

John remembers him well, saying, "I would like to talk to Uncle 'L' and ask him if he knows what happened to Tania."

Uncle 'L', in his 30s in the early 1980s, was a family friend who often spent time at the Murrell home in the years before Tania's disappearance. "He was close to us. He was good to Tania and myself but my mom said after Tania disappeared that Uncle 'L' was weird sometimes and that he probably did it," said John.

The man left Edmonton and moved to Ontario in the spring of 1983. His whereabouts today are not known".

rbbm.

"Uncle L" first name has five letters. Not sure what it is. Leroy? Larry? Lance?

The writer of the blog knows, but will not disclose it for obvious legal reasons.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

When did he stalk the mother? She was so sure he had nothing to do with her missing kid at first, so I assume the stalking happened after Tania disappearing?

After reading a whole bunch of articles I think the Prime Suspect guy most likely did it. And I think Tania is not longer alive, although I understand her sister not wanting to accept that. She already lost her parents and brother, so Tania would be all she has left... such a sad case :(

If PS is really dead, then there is little chance Tania's body will ever be found. And it really sucks he got away with killing 2 kids. Only positive thing is that his last years were not that great.

I am not too sure about the case of the boy who went missing in 1979. I have visited that area east of Edmonton a few times in the last few years. It's really nice. Coincidentally, Police believe that there is a serial killer in the Edmonton area, and there have been bodies turning up in between Elk Island and Edmonton, and also south of the city for the last 20-25 years. I'm not sure if there is any evidence leading the PS in the Murrell case to the disappearance of the boy. I will have to look into it.

So very sad that there was no closure for her family. I lived in the area in the 70's and 80's and this crime changed how my parents let me go to and from school especially at lunch time.. It was very common for kids as young as 9 or 10 take the city bus by themselves to school. It was a very cold day the day she disappeared . The 7'11 in question would be a 15 min walk for her. Many older kids from the local high school hung out at 7'11 so if she did make it that far there would many older kids getting their ketchup chips and sodas at that time.

Sorry...I realize I'm a few months behind here. But I believe that the Prime Suspect didn't just frequent Strathcona County but actually worked in Elk Island National Park. According to Byron Christopher's excellent article, the Prime Suspect was the person who called the RCMP to let them know people were searching for a missing boy (i.e. Kevin Reimer).

Sorry...I realize I'm a few months behind here. But I believe that the Prime Suspect didn't just frequent Strathcona County but actually worked in Elk Island National Park. According to Byron Christopher's excellent article, the Prime Suspect was the person who called the RCMP to let them know people were searching for a missing boy (i.e. Kevin Reimer).

Welcome to Ws Moriarty, never too late to chime in on a missing child thread, thanks!
https://byronchristopher.org/2018/03/09/ps-hes-dead/
Posted by Byron ChristopherMarch 9, 2018
The prime suspect in the disappearance of a young girl in Edmonton in 1983 is dead.

The suspect &#8212; whose identity is still guarded by police &#8212; died from cancer at his home in a small town in Southern Ontario in August 2016. He&#8217;d just turned 65.

The man is identified in this post simply as PS &#8212; for &#8216;prime suspect.&#8217;

The man who became known as PS was also a &#8216;person of interest&#8217; in the disappearance of Kevin Reimer, a 9-year-old who supposedly wandered away from his parents&#8217; campsite at Elk Island National Park in June 1979.

Reimer&#8217;s remains were eventually found in woods nearby. An RCMP officer who took part in the initial search said the body had been dumped in that area after they did their search.

Turns out, PS was the &#8216;good Samaritan&#8217; who had contacted the RCMP in Sherwood Park to let them know that a search was underway for a missing child. PS worked at the park.

Nothing conclusive, mind you. It just seemed beyond coincidental that a suspect in the disappearance of a young girl was one of the first to learn that a child was missing. A child that would turn up dead. What are the chances?

Thanks so much dotr! Yes, as Christopher states, it is beyond coincidental that the Prime Suspect for Tania's disappearance is linked to Kevin Reimer's disappearance, despite his death being ruled natural at the time.

Just throwing this out there, but I'm curious about any possible connection with the death of another girl four years before Kevin's disappearance, 11-year-old Karen Ewanciw in the Forest Heights area of Edmonton in April 1975 (can't find a thread on her here but there's some info over at UnsolvedCanada: http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=355.0).

The suspect in that case is described as a white male between 20 and 30 years of age. The Prime Suspect in Tania's disappearance was 24 at the time of Karen's murder. And for what it's worth, the street on the southern limit of Forest Heights, 98th Ave, becomes Baseline Road which extends straight eastward through Sherwood Park and ends at Elk Island Park.

Just a thought...

Thanks so much dotr! Yes, as Christopher states, it is beyond coincidental that the Prime Suspect for Tania's disappearance is linked to Kevin Reimer's disappearance, despite his death being ruled natural at the time.

Just throwing this out there, but I'm curious about any possible connection with the death of another girl four years before Kevin's disappearance, 11-year-old Karen Ewanciw in the Forest Heights area of Edmonton in April 1975 (can't find a thread on her here but there's some info over at UnsolvedCanada: http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=355.0).

The suspect in that case is described as a white male between 20 and 30 years of age. The Prime Suspect in Tania's disappearance was 24 at the time of Karen's murder. And for what it's worth, the street on the southern limit of Forest Heights, 98th Ave, becomes Baseline Road which extends straight eastward through Sherwood Park and ends at Elk Island Park.

Just a thought...
Rbbm.
Started a thread for Karen.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?369189-Karen-EWANCIW-11-Edmonton-Alberta-23-April-1975&p=14012943#post14012943
[h=2]Karen EWANCIW, 11, Edmonton, Alberta, 23 April 1975[/h]

I do not think this mystery will ever be solved. The prime suspect is dead. Tania's family is dead, except for a younger sister who moved out to Ontario. Some investigators who worked on the case have passed away. It's very sad.

Unless remains are found with some sort of incriminating evidence...like maybe the location they are in or if they are wrapped in some sort of identifiable material like a bed spread or jacket...

Otherwise, sadly, I think you may be right.

May 4, 2020
What happened to Tania? by Byron Christopher - Easton Spectator
taniaimage2222-195x300.jpg

''On January 20, 1983, six-year-old Tania Murrell vanished on her way home from an elementary school in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Hundreds of searchers — police, volunteers and friends and relatives of Tania — looked high and wide, but there was no trace of her. No clothing, school books, phone calls … nothing. Zip. And no witnesses. It’s as though Tania had somehow vanished into thin air. One moment, she’s standing on a sidewalk; next moment, she’s gone. What … happened?? The child’s disappearance smells of foul play. Police believe the grade-one student was abducted and murdered. But by whom? And why on earth would anyone do something like that? A heavy-drinking acquaintance of the family would morph from a person of interest to prime suspect. The man never faced criminal charges because detectives felt they didn’t have enough evidence for a conviction. This book walks the reader through every major development in this tragic file from the abduction on Day One … to, years later, a police interrogation of the prime suspect … to what eventually happened to him.''

6 Year Old Tania Murrell Vanished 37 Years Ago Today in Edmonton, Alberta
Jan 20, 2020
Screenshot_5.png

''The primary suspect in the case is a man who was a family friend of the Murrell’s. His name is not mentioned specifically in any articles about Tania in order to protect his privacy, but a reporter who worked on the case when she originally disappeared has gone as far as divulging that it starts with an L. During the initial investigation, Tania’s mother, Vivian, swore up and down that it wasn’t him and he wouldn’t have been capable of harming Tania. Family friends report that years later, she told them that she knew L killed her. He was 31 years old at the time of her disappearance and has no solid alibi. He once took Tania and her brother camping alone, and around the time of Tania’s disappearance wrote a very creepy poem about a love that could never be. After Tania disappeared, he moved away from Edmonton and had a daughter… whom he named Tania. At one point he was interrogated by police for 11 hours. At no point did he explicitly deny abducting Tania, and the takeaway line was chilling- “ you, you ain’t got a body.”

Tania’s sister Elysia believes that she is still alive somewhere and brainwashed, having possibly been taken by a woman who couldn’t have a child. Personally, I am all but positive that she didn’t survive the remainder of that day after leaving school, and that L was responsible for her death. Unfortunately, his current whereabouts are unknown- he may have been homeless somewhere in Canada at one point, and may no longer be alive.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back