CANADA Canada - Toronto Crimes Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How about an award in a case involving a black kid one of the victims of this minor holocaust of young African Canadian men in Toronto.

I am pretty broke but would contribute.

How about H. Yiga case. Somebody knows. Lure them with cash. It is worth it. Nice kid talented I hate these immigrant dream gone sour cases they drive me crazy - if anyone looks on the Mariam Makhinashvili thread you will see how much that kind of thing disturbs me. Mariam is as clearly a homicide as Harrison though in latter case reward more likely to pay off (?). Mariam case there are layers

But LE need to confront fact that people don't trust that things will stay confidential. I mean I do think they trust almost everyone in LE but all it takes is one mole...... and you're dead.....so people are afraid.

Hey Toronto LE please bump up this HY case it is solvable.

I really do wonder if detectives had a look at the cellphone records of everyone involved with E/M that night.

Dark Blue

Excellent point or suggestion!

How about an award in a case involving a black kid one of the victims of this minor holocaust of young African Canadian men in Toronto.

I am pretty broke but would contribute.

How about H. Yiga case. Somebody knows. Lure them with cash. It is worth it. Nice kid talented I hate these immigrant dream gone sour cases they drive me crazy - if anyone looks on the Mariam Makhinashvili thread you will see how much that kind of thing disturbs me. Mariam is as clearly a homicide as Harrison though in latter case reward more likely to pay off (?). Mariam case there are layers

But LE need to confront fact that people don't trust that things will stay confidential. I mean I do think they trust almost everyone in LE but all it takes is one mole...... and you're dead.....so people are afraid.

Hey Toronto LE please bump up this HY case it is solvable.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/case/220

"The following are the circumstances surrounding the death of Harrison Yiga.

The deceased in this matter was 20 years old at the time of his death and is survived by a brother, sister, mother and father. He was born in Uganda, immigrating to Canada in 1992 and becoming a Canadian Citizen in 1997. He was an automotive student at Centennial College.

On Monday December 20th, 2004 at 6:00 pm the deceased was in company with at least one other male, on the 5th floor of the apartment building at 100 Leeward Glenway. This address is in the Don Mills Road and Overlea Blvd area of Toronto.

Witnesses have reported to police that at approximately 6:00 pm two males were heard arguing in the hallway and then a series of gunshots. A male was last seen running north along the 5th floor hallway and into the stairwell.

The first officers to arrive found the lifeless body of the Harrison Yiga, face down at the elevator area.

The deceased was pronounced dead through attending Emergency Medical Personnel"

Re Dotr's previous article Brooklyn yes it is interesting ask in what way were these two guys in Toronto NOT shot 'execution style' in their car.

Because it sort of seems like they were.

Of course LE had to assume random because they accepted they were not lured back

Another note about my cellphone records idea.

Don't forget that eyewitness accounts of what was said or not said in a room, by someone yakking on a cellphone, may not even be pertinent in this case.

Someone could have been texting directions and instructions to a gunman without having to breathe a word out loud.

"In 2010, the victim’s father, Warren Skinner, told the Star that his son had been planning to follow him in the legal profession.

On the second anniversary in 2010, Skinner’s family gathered at the intersection where he was killed.

“We want his killer caught,” his mother, Ellen, said at the time.

A lot has changed since Skinner’s death.

Taryn, now 27, has since gotten engaged. Her wedding is this June. But one thing remains the same: her brother, who was also engaged when he died, won't be there, and Taryn still doesn't know why"

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...christopher_skinner_murder_investigation.html

Link for live stream conference concerning Chris, starting at 10.30 am.

http://www.680news.com/2013/11/07/toronto-police-make-arrest-in-2009-hit-and-run-murder/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...death-of-christopher-skinner/article15309551/
"Speaking at a news conference Thursday, Det. Sgt. Stacy Gallant told reporters police have charged the driver of the vehicle, then 19-year-old Augustin Caruso with second-degree murder.

Sgt. Gallant said Caruso, an Etobicoke man, was arrested yesterday.

The vehicle allegedly involved in the incident has been seized and Mr. Caruso is expected to appear in court today.

Sgt. Gallant said there were a total of six occupants in the vehicle at the time of the incident and there could be more arrests."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/toronto/story/1.2417967

bbm
"Police say there was a total of six people, including two women, in the Explorer when Skinner was killed. Det.-Sgt. Stacy Gallant expressed frustration that the passengers riding in the Explorer remained silent while police issued regular, well-publicized pleas for information.

"I'm disappointed to say that in the four years of this ongoing investigation, none of the individuals that did not participate in the death of Christopher Skinner chose to come forward on their own," he said. "They instead kept this information to themselves and lived with it for the past four years. I feel for the family that had to live with it for four years."

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/07...ith-themselves
bbm.

"How have six in Christopher Skinner case lived with themselves?"

"Wearing a black hoodie and grey sweatpants, the 23-year-old Etobicoke man looked remarkably unconcerned as he stood in the prisoner’s box and was remanded in custody until his next appearance Dec. 2. His father looked on, but refused to comment about the serious charge his son now faces.

The allegations against Caruso haven’t been proved in court and he has not yet been required to issue a plea.

He was ordered not to contact a list of people who the prosecutor said were witnesses and the subject of security concerns. He indicated that he understood and was taken away to spend the foreseeable future in jail — a place he may have believed he would never see.

What has Caruso been up to these last four years? It appears he’s been a student at Humber College and playing in an adult hockey league. Going about his life.

Five others are still going about theirs".

Mariam Peters:

I know a long time ago and surely among the coldest of cases - lots of action at the time of the crime by LE the family didn't really want to pursue things very long or far as I understand it for their own reasons (which I 100% respect but cannot follow)

Long shot but I would like to know:

1. Where exactly was she killed? What street? What station? What entrance? I understand she was attacked on the stairs going down to the subway at either St. Andrews or St. Patrick's Station and that perhaps the entrance was a lonely one and after the crime was 'filled in' or changed and that this was done at some other stations. I am sure at that point they were waiting for the next shoe to drop but there doesn't seem to have been a follow-up crime. There was an eyewitness not to the crime but to the suspected perp I think the ticket collector (?) . He had a low voice and was pale? I wonder if they tried a sketch even if they didn't release it.

2, I don't really understand why LE didn't make another attempt at this case. Their seems to be a high possibility the perp left DNA on her clothes. I hope they still have these. I hope they will test them for DNA if it is possible.

3. If it is random I understand it is almost impossible to solve now barring DNA or someone who actually knows. But a good place to start would be that it wasn't random. That she was stabbed 16 times at age 16 so that the perp could make that clear I wish LE would do DNA if they have it and talk to the family again before it is absolutely too late. Ask them to rack their brains.

4. There is a wonderful scholarship in memory for students by the way in her name

5. I have no clairvoyant powers but think this case is actually crying out to be solved.

6. Still thinking, adding what are the chances someone would commit this bizarre crime in a spot they could get away with it AND Mariam would have arrived at this unlikely entrance to the subway. So I am wondering if the stop was not at the street on the street BEHIND the hospital knowing M. Sinai where she was visiting Grandad it would be easy to exit the wrong side of the building the back and then ask someone which way to subway and then walk down that street to the obscure entrance. (I don't know this).

7. But as crazy as it would seem for anyone to want to kill Mariam could be that she was lured purposley to that entrance i.e. walked that far then attacked at that first opportunity where she would be out of sight down the steps.

Wow! TPS is hopping, more arrests in the Chris Skinner case!

" In a news release Friday, police said they have charged three more people.

Anthony Samuel, 24, was arrested on Nov. 11. He has charged with obstructing police and conspiracy to commit an indictable offence of aggravated assault.

Nicholas Swaby, 23, was arrested Nov. 12 and has been charged with assault causing bodily harm.

Jamaal Phillips Bond, 23, was arrested Nov. 14 and charged with assault causing bodily harm and obstructing police. He was scheduled to make a court appearance Friday morning.

Police say the investigation is ongoing"

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/police-mak...pher-skinner-homicide-1.1544757#ixzz2kjfwvQUr

^Good news. Let them rot, and shame on the two women for not coming forward. I hope they are charged with accessory.

Chorley, re: Mariam Peters, here are a couple of articles, the first being from November 12, 1975, when Mariam died, five days after the stabbing. She lived on Bruce Farm Dr., not Cuffley Cr. Bruce Farm is near *advertiser censored* Ave. and Leslie St., far from the Tedford/Stearne crime scene. The subway station was St. Patrick's.

Noname_zpsf4690442.png

Noname2_zpsd8001e17.png

^Good news. Let them rot, and shame on the two women for not coming forward. I hope they are charged with accessory.

Chorley, re: Mariam Peters, here are a couple of articles, the first being from November 12, 1975, when Mariam died, five days after the stabbing. She lived on Bruce Farm Dr., not Cuffley Cr. Bruce Farm is near *advertiser censored* Ave. and Leslie St., far from the Tedford/Stearne crime scene. The subway station was St. Patrick's.

Noname_zpsf4690442.png

Noname2_zpsd8001e17.png

Hi

Thanks Crimesolver will read. Cuffley- they did live their but some years earlier I had just queried if they still had business contacts friends in old hood. Source: City directories Toronto Public Library.

So little more of a description of attacker including age pretty crucial obviously not a fellow student unlikely to be friend.

Father had store on Queen Street I wonder where.

Case #1: The triple-slaying of the Airst family

In the early morning hours of Sunday, September 30th, 1979, upper-middle-class couple Ike and Celia Airst, aged 55 and 43 respectively, and their son Avrom, 22, were viciously bludgeoned to death in their mid-Toronto home on the southwest corner of Glencairn and Englemount Aves (at the time the area was part of a separate city called North York). The Airst’s married daughter, Simmie, found the three bodies at 1 p.m. on Sunday when she came to visit. She ran across the street to tell neighbours.
The Airsts had somewhat controversial histories. Ike owned 31 commercial buildings in the city, including one that housed a gay bathhouse, which brought him some unwanted attention in 1977 after a boy was murdered by pedophiles in a seedy downtown body rub parlour. Additionally, in 1965, he and his brother had been publicly accused of being slum landlords. However, friends and people who knew him from his work doing repairs on his various properties said he was a hardworking, kind man. Celia was an ardent member of the Jewish Defence League, and had gained some notoriety in 1971 for heckling visiting Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin in the name of her cause. Avrom lived at home with his parents and assisted his father with his maintenance work. A neighbour said the family was very private and “kept early hours”. Ike had suffered several strokes and a heart attack in recent years and was thus not in fulsome health.
Based on the daughter’s statements and the layout of the crime scene, police believe the crime transpired as follows: On Sunday evening, Celia and Avrom went out for dinner and drinks with Simmie and her husband. Ike decided to stay home and watch a baseball game. After enjoying dinner at Inn on the Park in the city’s east end, Avrom wanted to go home to tend to his father, who had a pacemaker. He was driven home, and then his mother left again with her daughter and son-in-law for drinks and a stroll in the Yorkville district. At almost 1:30 a.m., Celia was dropped off at her house. It was a foggy night. Police speculate she entered the house and locked the door, but opened it again when she heard a knock, perhaps thinking it was her daughter. She was immediately fatally attacked with a blunt instrument, and then the killer(s) went upstairs and killed Ike and Avrom in their bedrooms in the same manner. Celia’s body was found in the front hall, the men’s upstairs. The crime scene was saturated with blood.
There was no evidence of forced entry, and police determined it was unlikely that Celia would have opened the door to a stranger. Robbery was ruled out as a motive since nothing was taken. Although police probed possible political grievances or anti-Semitism as motives for the murders, no connections were ever established, nor was a link found to Ike’s business dealings. And police could apparently neither confirm nor dispel theories that this crime is related to the nearby murder of an elderly couple, Harold and Florence Fagan, in 1978 (I will consider posting this case in the future). Almost thirty years later, the Airst family murder remains unsolved.

Comments: The most informative article about this crime was published in the Toronto Star on September 30th, 1981. From what is publicly known, police didn’t make much headway in searching for suspects, but this is almost assuredly not a “random” crime. A question I have is why the bludgeoning of Celia in the front hall didn’t rouse the men upstairs from their sleep. It would probably have made quite a racket. Maybe the killer(s) was/were in the house already, and had killed Ike and Avrom, when Celia arrived home.

Below are aerial images of the location:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7358/airst1on3.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1691/airst2zl0.jpg

(I have tried to post photos directly using tags, but for some reason this forum doesn't permit it. Anyone know why? I have seen photos posted by others here.)[/quote]

Bumping this post and wondering if maybe it is tied in with any of the other puzzling cases recently discussed on Ws. Victim visits to Yorkville seems to be a common theme somehow. jmo.

At a time when recent accomplishments should be front and center of the news, one might wonder if certain distractions are perhaps the sly, calculated antics of an upstaging clown.moo.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/15/former-don-boscoe-football-player-charged-in-skinner-murder

"Swaby was once named the Don Bosco Eagles offensive player of the year, he captained the under-17 Team Ontario football squad in 2007 and the linebacker played on the GTA all-star team in 2008.

He lists himself as co-owner of a company called Klass Media on Google+ and other online sources suggest he may also be tied to a company called Apex TO.

Ford coached Don Bosco from 2002 until he was replaced by the Toronto Catholic District School Board in May after reports surfaced about a video of him smoking crack cocaine.

Ford did not respond to a media request asking about Swaby’s arrest Friday.

It’s not the first time one of his football players has made headlines this year.

Former Don Bosco Eagle Kwado “Kojo” Mensah, 20, was gunned down in Malvern on April 25"

Bumping for David Buller The killer must have been very careful indeed if no dna or evidence was left behind in the office before the cleaning lady arrived.imo.
bbm.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/01/17/art_teachers_unsolved_murder_still_haunts_family.html

"Buller, a well-liked senior lecturer of visual arts who had taught at U of T for 15 years, was killed on Jan. 18, 2001. His murder shocked the campus and the city in its brazenness.

On that Thursday afternoon, Buller was in his office, working at his computer on an art project, when he was stabbed seven times with a knife. A cleaning lady found his body just before 7 a.m. the next morning.

Police said the attacker surprised Buller; his chair had tipped over with the computer cord wrapped around it. The plug was torn from the wall. But investigators found no DNA evidence, no murder weapon and no witnesses who heard the attack, despite it taking place in the middle of a busy weekday.

In the year following Buller’s death, police interviewed 230 people associated with his personal and professional life and RCMP computer experts examined his computers for clues. The individuals suggested as Buller’s possible killer included a disgruntled student, a jilted lover and a homeless man who had wandered up Spadina Ave. from the Scott Mission. But no evidence was found to back up any of those theories — or the one that suggested Buller, who was gay, led a risky lifestyle that may have instigated the attack.

Ken Taylor, a homicide detective involved in the case, told the Star in 2002 that Buller’s murder was one of the most difficult he had ever worked, one that caused him sleepless nights and to obsessively review clues."

Someone stands to make lots of reward money simply by doing the right thing!

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/28358
bbm.

"Homicide #47/2012,
Leonard Charles Fullerton, 26,
Update,
$50,000 reward announced,
Security camera video released

Broadcast time: 12:45
Thursday, January 16, 2014

12 Division
416-808-7400

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012, at approximately 4:20 p.m., police responded to the Weston Road and Denarda Street area for a shooting.

See previous release.

Investigators have announced a $50,000 reward authorized by the Chief of Police for information leading to the arrest and conviction of individual(s) responsible for the murder of Leonard Charles Fullerton, also known as "Chris or Curlz.
"

Police believe there are a number of witnesses who have not yet come forward who have crucial information about the events that took place in the afternoon hours on Tuesday, October 30, 2012, in front of 1239 Weston Road, and who have knowledge of the identity of the shooter.

Police believe further that the shooter is a known person within the community and/or frequents the area.

A security camera video has been released. The video captures the suspect vehicle driving eastbound on Denarda Street, backing into a laneway, and parking. A man exits the vehicle and walks west on Denarda Street seconds before the shooting.

Click here for security camera video.

The suspect is described as having a light-black complexion, approximately 6', with a thin build and was wearing a dark, hooded wool jacket with white accents.

The vehicle is described as a small, four-door silver car, possibly a Honda or Nissan.

Click here to watch the news conference held on Thursday, January 16, 2014.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7400, leslie.dunkley@torontopolice.on.ca, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.

Constable Wendy Drummond, Corporate Communications, for Detective Leslie Dunkley, Homicide Squad"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back