CANADA Canada - Unsolved murders of young people in London, Ont, 1960s-70s

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.westerngazette.ca/2014/03/london-killer-place-to-live/

“In the U.S., they now know the creation of the interstate created a new breed of serial killer. Serial offending and highways went hand in hand,” Arntfield said. “Offenders were able to come and go with impunity and anonymity.”

Additionally, London is what Arntfield called a “consumer test-market society.” Companies like to use London as a basis to test out their new products. For example, Tim Hortons recently released their new dark-roast coffee in select markets, London included. This is due to the city’s unique combined population.

But what appeals to large companies also appeals to serial killers, said Arntfield.

“It’s an ideal place to try out drinks — also the ideal place to come and experiment with developing various criminal paraphernalia,” he said.

Unlike other cities, where there was a certain level of watching out for your neighbour, London communities were heavily segmented, according to Arntfield.

Other test market cities that Arntfield looked at, including Rochester, New York, have alarmingly similar trends".

Link courtesy of poster Darkblue

frankie-jensen.jpg
"London police officers and citizen volunteers head out into freezing conditions from the southwest entrance of Westdale Elementary on the morning of February 10th, 1968, preparing a shoulder-to-shoulder search for missing 4th grade student Frankie Jensen. (Western University archives)"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...prof-1.3207957

"Arntfield, who also served as a London police officer for 15 years, analyzed 32 homicides, all the victims being women and children, over a 15-year period. Some of those cases were solved, but most of the remaining homicides were likely the work of serial killers, the author contends.

Monsters such as the Mad Slasher, Chambermaid Slayer and Balcony Killer are suspected of having roamed the city's streets. Some of the murderers were never captured, Arntfield says, but he suspects they escaped to Toronto, where they continued to harm the innocent.

The author of this chilling book sat down with CBC Toronto host Dwight Drummond to discuss this disturbing period. The following is a condensed and edited version of the interview:

You owe much of the information to OPP officer Dennis Alsop, how important was his documentation to your research?

It is extraordinarily important. A lot of the stuff that happened during this period, there is no other living record of it — much of it was thought to have been lost to history. But he took the time to diligently document his thoughts, his hunches, his findings, things that could be acted on but also things that would go no further than him.

And ultimately contained in that codex, as I call it — the basement book of the dead — are answers to these cases and he knew they couldn't die with him so he left them behind to be found as a sort of a time capsule. His son then gave them to me knowing my work at the university with respect to unsolved homicides".

I remember a Toronto Star article from ages ago, showing a comprehensive listing of many of these unsolved homicides in Southwestern Ontario. If I get the chance I will look for it, or if anyone would like to take a look, it would be from the 90's, but it is worthwhile reading. It is hard to believe that there are so many unsolved killings in this area.

Thanks for transferring my posting, dotr, I was not even aware of this thread.

Also, a nod to the poster "RichKelly"; thanks for your poignant and insightful postings, and for your service. :)

Bumping this up because another petite woman with long brown hair is missing. Shelley Desrochers.

What was the significance of the man in the green mustang? I did not quite follow that.

Bumping this up because another petite woman with long brown hair is missing. Shelley Desrochers.

What was the significance of the man in the green mustang? I did not quite follow that.

Thanks for posting!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...y-Desrochers-41-London-Ontario-2-January-2016
Canada - Shelley Desrochers, 41, London, Ontario, 2 January 2016

Investigators remain open to “a number of possibilities with respect to Shelley Desrochers’ whereabouts,” police added.

Desrochers, 41, is described as white, five feet two inches and 141 pounds with a medium build and long, straight, light brown hair and hazel eyes. She has distinctive walk, with one toe pointed inward.

It was first believed Desrochers was last seen in the Ernest and Bradley avenues area about 2 p.m. Jan. 2.

But police say they’ve received information she was seen about 10 a.m. Jan. 5, on foot, near Hamilton Road and Rectory Street.
http://www.lfpress.com/2016/02/01/l...helley-desrochers-did-not-access-bank-account

Poster whiterhino had an encounter of sorts with a man driving a green mustang.
rsbm.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ario-in-the-1960s-70s&p=11321697#post11321697
The thing that freaks me out the most is that I myself have been stopped by the same man in the same green Mustang ttwo different occassions. I read the whole Missing GTA thread today & I look exactly like those missing women. Short, petite w long brown hair. I reported the second attempt w LE & they thought nothing of it. Just a weirdo hitting on women.

The guy blitzed me. He literally pulled the car over, got out & followed after me on the sidewalk. Then he blitzed me with questions about sports & breach volleyball. It was so bizarre I came home & googled "indoor beach volleyball" & found his identity. I have given all this info to LE & still women are going missing. This is the best I can do to share this info here.

Is Rosalind Dutrizac still missing.. is there a page for her here? That would make 4 petite women with long brown hair.

Should we start a specific thread for the more recent cases of women with long hair? I don't think these are related to the London murders of youth from over 40 years ago. This might allow people to provide more focus to these recent cases.

Much belated, but there are many unsolved murder of young people in London Ontario Canada back in the 1960s and 1970s. While a couple of serial killers were arrested, many other cases remain unsolved.

These unsolved cases have recently attracted the attention of various people, including a LE officer, Dr. Mike Arntfield, who happens to be a university professor. "Dr. Mike" felt compelled to bring some of this information public through a TV show, particularly in light of the trove of information that was brought forward by the son of the key detective originally involved in the investigation of the murders of these young people.

The London Free Press published this article today:

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/03/21/boxing-in-a-serial-killer

Included in these unsolved murders in the London area:

Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, disappeared, in January 1968, on her way home from work at a variety store. Her body was found less than 2 hours later a few miles from work in the northwest area of London.

Frankie Jensen, 9, disappeared on his way to school in February 1968, only a couple of miles from where Jacqueline Dunleavy's body was found. His body was found a couple of months later in a river northeast of London.

Scott Leishman, 16, disappeared in March 1968, from a village northeast of London (Thamesford). His body was found in the mouth of a creek, near Lake Erie, southeast of London.

Lynda White, 19, a university student in London Ontario, disappeared after writing an exam in November 1968. Her body was found many miles SW of London a few years later. It was nude and in a very shallow grave.

Bruce Stapylton, 11, disappeared in June 1969. His body was found a few miles north of London in a woodlot.

Jackie English, 15, disappeared on her way home from work in October 1969. Her body was found, nude in a creek, a few weeks later and her clothes and personal belongings were found in various places south and southeast of London.

Soraya O'Connell, 15, disappeared while hitchhiking home from a community centre at 10 pm in August 1970. Her body was found many mile east of London, under limbs and leaves.

There are a number of other crimes against young people, or young adult women, during this general time period, however it is clear that a predator, or predators will operating in the area.

rbbm.
Bumping for Jackie English.

[video=youtube;Z4o54_XcxUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4o54_XcxUY[/video]

So much great information here - I've watched all of To Catch a Killer and am working my way through Murder City now.

I've driven by the variety store where Jacqueline Dunleavy worked many times - it's closed now but still has the old sign up.

I find it so haunting and expected that where I live was the hunting ground for many suspected serial killers. And with the new wave of missing women....makes me scared.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2016/08/31/22663129.html
[h=3]Jane Sims, The London Free Press[/h] Aug 31, 2016
LONDON, Ont. -- Dennis Alsop Jr. says he lent his dad’s work diaries to the Ontario Provincial Police in hopes of solving some of London’s biggest crime mysteries.
Alsop’s father was the main investigator during a string of unsolved murders of young people in London and the surrounding area in the 1960s and 1970s, including the cases of Frankie Jensen, who was found murdered in 1968, Jackie English, who was abducted and murdered in 1969 and Priscilla Merle who died in 1972.
His notes offered some clues to the cases and were the backdrop for Western University criminologist Michael Arntfield’s recent book, Murder City.
“I really don’t want to give up the diaries because they are a fascinating glimpse into my father’s life,” Alsop said.
From his early days as a small-town cop in Ingersoll, through his time as an identification officer and respected investigator, the elder Alsop’s 27 books chronicle the career cop’s journey in small snippets.
Only the years between 1958 and 1963 were missing from the collection that Alsop Jr. found in a cardboard box stored in the basement of his parent’s Mississauga home.
He’s convinced that his dad kept the files for good reason and hoped someone might be able to pull together his clues using modern-day investigation tools.

“This was a bad omen and the diaries just screamed that at you. Things were changing.”

What followed was an alarming number of violent, unsolved deaths of young women and men. Alsop’s father was in the thick of trying to solve all of them.
Most prevalent was the English case, a murder Alsop said haunted his father long after his retirement in 1979, along with the unsolved murder of Western University student Lynda White, who disappeared in 1968 and whose remains were discovered in Bayham Township, in Elgin County, in 1973.

Is Rosalind Dutrizac still missing.. is there a page for her here? That would make 4 petite women with long brown hair.

I can confirm as of late 2009/2010 she was alive and residing in London, Ontario. I can't get into details for confidentiality reasons, but she was a client where I worked. I can't comment on her current whereabouts however.

rbbm.
Bumping for Jackie English.

[video=youtube;Z4o54_XcxUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4o54_XcxUY[/video]

I watched the video you attached. I googled some of the "code" and seems some of the code might be tied to numerology/astrology. Example http://www.meaningfor.com/what-does-stand-for/kmvv

The David fellow they mention is written up in an online article and he had ties to the JW faith.

Someone asked about a church connection and that could be possible. In the video references to "sin" and that Marilyn referred to a "them" sounds to me like a JW coverup.http://www.theaylmernews.com/?p=23393

It's been a while since anyone posted here. The long and incredibly useful forum pages on these cases on Unsolved Canada seem to be inaccessible now. I am interested in exploring the cases of Jackie English, Jackie Dunleavy, Lynda White, , Soraya O'Connell and Georgia Jackson. Anyone up for a challenge?

It's been a while since anyone posted here. The long and incredibly useful forum pages on these cases on Unsolved Canada seem to be inaccessible now. I am interested in exploring the cases of Jackie English, Jackie Dunleavy, Lynda White, , Soraya O'Connell and Georgia Jackson. Anyone up for a challenge?

Lengthy article, several of the above females mentioned are referenced.

By Jane Sims, The London Free Press
March 22, 2014
Nestled beside his Second World War memorabilia, the late OPP superintendent hid away a personal time capsule — memoirs and news clippings chronicling his best efforts to solve a string of horrifying, still-unsolved sex killings more than 40 years ago.

That discovery by Alsop’s son, after his father died in 2012, now has the potential to finally solve the murders in the late 1960s and early ‘70s of at least three young women — Jackie English and Soraya O’Connell, both 15, and 19-year-old Lynda White — and maybe more.
A celebrity sleuth who got wind of the clues and hunches the retired cop left behind has come up with an even more sinister theory — that a sexually motivated serial killer with an erotic attraction to corpses, who’s already been convicted of murder, was lurking around Southwestern Ontario, randomly picking off young women to satisfy his sick urges.
That theory is outlined in a private investigative report, obtained by The Free Press from a police source.
The suspect was willing to drive long distances and may have kept souvenirs from his deadly conquests. He made sure other personal items taken from his victims were disposed of far away from the bodies.
He may have kept the corpses for days, weeks — even years.
That suspect could be responsible for the deaths of the three young women.
It’s Alsop’s memoirs that sparked the new investigation.
THE VICTIMS

Lynda White, 19
A Western University student from Burlington, she disappeared Nov. 14, 1968 after a French exam. Her skeletal remains were found May 9, 1973 in Norfolk County.
Jackie English, 15
Vanished Oct. 4, 1969 after getting into a car on the London Wellington Rd. overpass at the Hwy. 401. Her nude body found Oct. 9, 1969 in Big Otter Creek near Tillsonburg. Some of her clothing was found in Oxford and east Elgin counties.
Soraya O’Connell, 15
Disappeared Aug. 14, 1970 after leaving a youth drop-in centre near Fanshawe Park Rd and Highbury Ave. in London. Her skeletal remains were found just outside Stratford on May 26, 1974.

Lengthy article, several of the above females mentioned are referenced.

By Jane Sims, The London Free Press
March 22, 2014
Looking for deeper info. Read all the posts on Unsolved Canada. Have all the newspaper articles. I'm deep into this and looking for specific info. Want to know about Glen Fryer and rumours/scandals about CPRI, about Bodemer's release and subsequent employment by a long haul truck driving company. Also want to know whereabouts of Robert Masters (does he own the trucking company in Dutton?) And more info on suspect Kalichuk, see Barry Ruhl's book A Viable Suspect and the Lynne Harper murder.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jacqueline Dunleavy, 16, disappeared, in January 1968, on her way home from work at a variety store. Her body was found less than 2 hours later a few miles from work in the northwest area of London.

Frankie Jensen, 9, disappeared on his way to school in February 1968, only a couple of miles from where Jacqueline Dunleavy's body was found. His body was found a couple of months later in a river northeast of London.

Scott Leishman, 16, disappeared in March 1968, from a village northeast of London (Thamesford). His body was found in the mouth of a creek, near Lake Erie, southeast of London.

I recently came across 2 cases from northern Ontario in late 1968 that seem eerily similar to the London murders in early 68. I have to wonder if they might be related. It has been difficult for me to find in depth info on the murder cases in Thunder Bay Ontario in 1968. This is what I have found:

Sept 30 1968. Wanda Dekiel was murdered. She was found on oct 1st in a lane way. She had been strangled with her own scarf. She was 22 years old but described as petit.
Oct 11th 1968. 13 year old John Bortolon was last seen walking on Oliver road. His body was found about 3 weeks later in dense bush off a side road. He was strangled.

John Raymond Lamont was charged with both murders. He was tried for murder of John Bortolon and found not guilty by reason of insanity. He was sent to Penetanguishene maximum security mental institution in 1969.

Both Wanda and Jacqueline Dunleavy were strangled with their own scarf. How common is that? The other striking similarity with the London cases is that the bodies of the females were left in the open to be found quickly, however the bodies of John, Frankie and Scott were hidden by their killer(s).

Does anyone think these cases could be related or am I reading too much into it? Have the police already investigated that avenue?

I recently came across 2 cases from northern Ontario in late 1968 that seem eerily similar to the London murders in early 68. I have to wonder if they might be related. It has been difficult for me to find in depth info on the murder cases in Thunder Bay Ontario in 1968. This is what I have found:

Sept 30 1968. Wanda Dekiel was murdered. She was found on oct 1st in a lane way. She had been strangled with her own scarf. She was 22 years old but described as petit.
Oct 11th 1968. 13 year old John Bortolon was last seen walking on Oliver road. His body was found about 3 weeks later in dense bush off a side road. He was strangled.

John Raymond Lamont was charged with both murders. He was tried for murder of John Bortolon and found not guilty by reason of insanity. He was sent to Penetanguishene maximum security mental institution in 1969.

Both Wanda and Jacqueline Dunleavy were strangled with their own scarf. How common is that? The other striking similarity with the London cases is that the bodies of the females were left in the open to be found quickly, however the bodies of John, Frankie and Scott were hidden by their killer(s).

Does anyone think these cases could be related or am I reading too much into it? Have the police already investigated that avenue?

Some of those crimes and others are detailed in this book.
https://books.google.ca/books?id=-n...IPjAG#v=onepage&q=John Raymond Lamont&f=false
[h=1]Thunder Bay City's True Murder Investigations 1882 to 2014[/h]By Kim Casey

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
couchsluether
Back