Casey Anthony Grand Jury Meeting Details Leaked

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A state can seat a grand jury for any case they want to, not just capital cases.

The Supreme Court states the importance of secrecy but does not mandate it. IIRC, Florida grand jury's are routinely seated, and not done in secret for the most part.

IMO, the article is making a mountain out of a molehill.

True Dat, SuziQ.

Additionally, they have the option to convene, vs. sitting GJ, AND can convene a "special" GJ based on the merits of the case.. There is zero presumption of secrecy here, or privacy.

How may times do we need to hear the Defense attorney rewrite his monologue?

I think it was both George and Baez.

Baez blew my mind when he said he didn't believe in the GJ system. I don't think I've ever heard a criminal defense attorney say that before. I guess it might be because its less financially advantageous for him or maybe it will take him away from Casey for those precious few hours....IDK. :waitasec:

I wonder if he would believe in the GJ if it were one of his loved ones that were seeking justice.

This case has been a circus since the first lie Casey uttered to LE back in July.

Surely, no one is truly surprised by this? There has been no privacy up to now, why should there suddenly be any sort of expectation of it now?

That said, I hope the jurors follow their instructions not to talk about the testimony after the fact.

Forgive my ignorance on this pleez....

Will Casey be present at the GJ ?

WHEN they indict her, how long until she is charged with a more serious crime and locked up ?

This is absolutely right, leaking this information is wrong.

If it wasn't leaked then how do we know about it?

SECRECY OF GRAND JURY PROCEEDINGS
Secrecy as to all grand jury proceedings is of the utmost importance. This includes not only the actions upon an indictment or a presentment but even the fact that any such matter was considered, or any witness was called. It is only in this manner that the grand jurors themselves can be protected from pressure by persons who may be involved by the action of the grand jury. Secrecy also is the only protection that a witness may have before a grand jury, which will protect the witness from being tampered with or intimidated before testifying at the trial. Further, secrecy may prevent one under indictment, or subject to indictment, from escaping while the issue of indictment is under consideration. It also should be remembered that secrecy may encourage witnesses to give the grand jury frankly and candidly any knowledge they may have concerning crime or corruption. Lastly, and of equal importance to all other consideration of secrecy, is the fact that an innocent person who has been subjected to a charge but not indicted should be protected from the embarrassment and disgrace attendant upon the making of a charge before a grand jury.
The pledge of secrecy is paramount. It also is permanent.
A grand juror will not communicate to family, friends, associates, or anyone concerning any matter that takes place in the grand jury room. The only time this veil of secrecy may be lifted is by order of the court after a full hearing, and then only in exceptional cases.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/j...ryhandbook.rtf

Well, who exactly leaked the information? Was it someone in law enforcement or was it someone who received a summons to appear? Do we really know for sure?

Secrecy of the proceedings, is the secret, not that they are going to meet. Not who they are going to meet about. It's the proceedings themselves that's the secret nothing more.

I agree that it has to be Baez. He's on record as saying that he doesn't believe in the grand jury system. He's obviously biased and letting his anger show. He's making an issue where there shouldn't be one.

Sorry Jose........this is the American justice system at work.

Did he miss the GJ lecture in law school? :confused::confused::-(

The meeting of the gj is not a secret. If you are called testify before a gj-you are free to tell anyone one you want . As a grand jourior you cannot talk about what was said. Many times in the news I have heard a case is going before the grand jury-Ramsey for one. Jb is nuts if he tihinks a meeting of the grand jury is secret-The only secret in this case is what the hell did kc do with Caylee- I cant wait for that smug face to go down. Every time I see Caylee face I get sick -If she did not want her she had so many choices- She choice to harm that little girl I want her on death row-sitting and waiting to die. Never had such hate for anyone in my life like I have for her. Not a tear did she shed-dont get the feeling that she is even sorry for what she did. I cant see how george and cindy can even look at her. They loved that baby-I know it is hard to turn you face away from your child-but in kc case they have a monster-- if let free --god only knows what she wil do in the future. They may be next. Kc may want the house and the insurance. What Kc wants she gets!!!! I hope we all get what we want JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE

Morin to ya! :)
This was no big secret and nothing has been leaked. :rolleyes: Many of us on the board knew this case in the beginning was headed into a GJ, me included. Must me a slowwwwwwww news day. JB is also possibly playing a hopeful public sympathy card for KC. See, its someone else's fault again. Goin back to sleep now. :cat:

Forgive my ignorance on this pleez....

Will Casey be present at the GJ ?

WHEN they indict her, how long until she is charged with a more serious crime and locked up ?

Nope :) Sorry missed your second question, GJ will return what we here refer to as a True Bill. Upon decision of moving forward, it should not take to long. Maybe she will have Turkey Bologne for Thanksgiving. One can only hope.

I agree that it has to be Baez. He's on record as saying that he doesn't believe in the grand jury system. He's obviously biased and letting his anger show. He's making an issue where there shouldn't be one.

Sorry Jose........this is the American justice system at work.

I found it very funny that Baez spouted off to the Today Show that he does not believe in Grand Jury proceedings . . . it is the way our judicial system works! I cannot believe this atty even HAS clients!

I believe that Casey may have a future complaint in that her atty was not representing her properly.

Morin to ya! :)
This was no big secret and nothing has been leaked. :rolleyes: Many of us on the board knew this case in the beginning was headed into a GJ, me included. Must me a slowwwwwwww news day. JB is also possibly playing a hopeful public sympathy card for KC. See, its someone else's fault again. Goin back to sleep now. :cat:

Always someone else's fault, everyone's but Caseys!

I believe that Casey may have a future complaint in that her atty was not representing her properly.

Could very well be KrimeKat! As much as I hate to say it. :mad:

Are we sure there is a second client..can we go out on a limb and put "client" into the plural form? :D:rolleyes:

If there is another client I don't see how they are getting any attention at all from JB with Casey there 5 days a week, 6 hours a day! :mad: I know I would be looking for another lawyer!

Isn't Judge Strickland suppose to decide today too if she gets off of home confinement? I pray she doesn't! I hate her, I swear I do!!!!!! :furious:

Two things - sometimes gjs are used to get witness statements locked down before memories fade or they have a change of mind. We may not see a bill of indictment come out of this - I doubt that the prosecution is ready to try this case, there are too many loose ends.

Secondly, Jose Baez is doing exactly what he should be doing and seems to be doing a very good job. Philosophically, I agree with him about grand juries, no state should have that kind of power - to hold secret meetings in which a citizen can be held accountable to the state and face loss of life and property without advocation for that citizen. It may be the system we have, but Baez is entitled to his opinion about it. As a defense attorney he's doing his best for his client and seems to be pro-active and pre-emptive in advocating for KC.

If there is another client I don't see how they are getting any attention at all from JB with Casey there 5 days a week, 6 hours a day! :mad: I know I would be looking for another lawyer!

Isn't Judge Strickland suppose to decide today too if she gets off of home confinement? I pray she doesn't! I hate her, I swear I do!!!!!! :furious:

Back when JB had a second client (that we knew of) it was reported on the news that he was late enough in getting to Court (and delaying proceedings) so that the Judge made it clear that JB's tardiness was not appreciated.:nono::gavel::tsktsk:

Meanwhile it was also reported that JB had made a conscious decision to delay setting out for this Court to avoid the media frenzy and the throngs of reporters that would be following him...

EXCEPT, it was pointed out that at his destination there was NOT ONE member of the media, no frenzy, no nuthin.
I found that amusing.:) Talk about the wind being sucked out of the sails...
JB needs to understand that the frenzy is all about the Casey case, and nothing about the JB.:rolleyes:

Back when JB had a second client (that we knew of) it was reported on the news that he was late enough in getting to Court (and delaying proceedings) so that the Judge made it clear that JB's tardiness was not appreciated.:nono::gavel::tsktsk:

Meanwhile it was also reported that JB had made a conscious decision to delay setting out for this Court to avoid the media frenzy and the throngs of reporters that would be following him...

EXCEPT, it was pointed out that at his destination there was NOT ONE member of the media, no frenzy, no nuthin.
I found that amusing.:) Talk about the wind being sucked out of the sails...
JB needs to understand that the frenzy is all about the Casey case, and nothing about the JB.:rolleyes:

AMEN to that Miracles!!!!!! I love the part of "the wind being sucked out of the sails" thanks I needed that laugh this morning! I was so upset after seeing TM on the news this morning and the possiblity of him leaving.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
George Anthony to testify at grand jury

Last Edited: Monday, 13 Oct 2008, 10:13 AM EDT
Created: Monday, 13 Oct 2008, 10:13 AM EDT

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- The grand jury set to meet Tuesday and hear evidence regarding possible murder charges against Casey Anthony in the death of her daughter will hear from her father, George Anthony

I agree with the Good Luck part, with the exception that they are under-funded for such an enterprise, they are NOT short on resources.

Their ability to convince others they are, however, could definately be considered an asset.:eek:

They also had So Calif as a whole, still trembling from the riots in LA after the Rodney King fiasco.:shocked2:

If there was a leak my vote would be for JB, he is the only one that it would be to his advantage, reason might be--can't trust the system, client can't get a fair trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleepingpillsstore