Casey's appeal on the 4 charges of lying to police

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's where I am hoping HHBP really comes through for us. He is known to make unappealable rulings so I am sure hoping that he scores another win with this one.

I know many posters lost their respect for him during the trial - but I was always massively impressed with the huge amound of "homework" he did on his rulings before he ever walked into court to hear the arguments. I find it hard to believe that the appeals panel doesn't know of him and his hard thorough work and his immaculate reputation and will rule in the State of Florida's favour with a big fat... :denied:and a big fat ... :ignore: also!

And I gotta tell you - have I ever been waiting to use those two icons again...:floorlaugh: - feels good!!!

Ya know, I agree with your post. That man knows the laws inside and out when he comes before the court.
In my opinion the defense will try every last nerve of the appeals process and I have no doubt it will take years to do so unless someone steps in and says enough which I doubt will happen.

KC gave multiple lies on multiple occassions to multiple people. Why does she think that she deserves to only be charged once? She may have skated on the murder charges but sending everyone on wild goose chases, knowing full well that she dumped her dead baby in the woods is a whole different deal.

When is she supposed to face charges with Zenaida and Texas Eq? I can just imagine that she has convinced herself that she can sue the State for false imprisionment and live off of all the proceeds that the State will surely pay to help her redeem her good name (cough cough cough).

When you compare Judge Perry with the type of Judge that we saw in the Michael Jackson trial, then you will see the difference. JP may know his law, but on the bench, he is weak. He allowed way to much to pass by him. There were witnesses on that stand that definitely gave the impression FCA was molested. He would call break and it would hang. The Grief counselor should not have been allowed. The table should never had been moved. IMO, this was a move by the defense (a) to avoid large photos on the wall and (b) force the jury to look at FCA, thus weakening them to find her guilty.

When you compare Judge Perry with the type of Judge that we saw in the Michael Jackson trial, then you will see the difference. JP may know his law, but on the bench, he is weak. He allowed way to much to pass by him. There were witnesses on that stand that definitely gave the impression FCA was molested. He would call break and it would hang. The Grief counselor should not have been allowed. The table should never had been moved. IMO, this was a move by the defense (a) to avoid large photos on the wall and (b) force the jury to look at FCA, thus weakening them to find her guilty.

Hi Whisperer. :wave: I was upset with a lot of HHJP's decisions but at the time I accepted that he was leaning in that direction in order to avoid any appealable issues to get a solid conviction. But hindsight, being so much clearer, I know now, I would be much more content seeing Casey's team squirm through appeals than I am right, now watching them all be invited to speak at various attorneys' conventions! Casey's free, the other defense attorneys want to learn how to be as immoral as her team was and numerous individuals (and charitable funds) are making money while Caylee's remains adorn the necks and wrists of family members.

I agree. Some of his decisions added to the perfect storm and had he ruled differently on some issues it could have turned out right. But I don't think he was the sole cause of this insult to justice. Do you?

KC gave multiple lies on multiple occassions to multiple people. Why does she think that she deserves to only be charged once? She may have skated on the murder charges but sending everyone on wild goose chases, knowing full well that she dumped her dead baby in the woods is a whole different deal.

When is she supposed to face charges with Zenaida and Texas Eq? I can just imagine that she has convinced herself that she can sue the State for false imprisionment and live off of all the proceeds that the State will surely pay to help her redeem her good name (cough cough cough).

That however isn't what the appeal will be about. The defence will argue that the 4 charges were part of a single crime, and therefore the penalty should run concurrently. Not that it will make any difference for Casey though, by the time all of that is settled she will probably have completed her probation anyway, so it is not really about her.

It will be more for the benefit of case law as a precedent. Normally in situations like this, if I understood what was said at the time correctly, the defendent is sentenced concurrently in this sort of situation. But, the judge sentenced consecutively in this case. That is what the appeal is for.

Btw, you don't know that she dumped her dead baby, no evidence was presented that showed she did do that, which is the main reason she was acquited. It wasn't because of the defence's tactics or Baez's skill, the problem was that the evidence for the prosecutions allegations simply was not there. I think the main reason why they didn't proceed with lesser charges was because of public pressure. They went for the big charge because everyone expected it and ended up with nothing as a result.

IMO the evidence suggested that she did not even know for sure her kid was dead until the body was found, and that the person/s responsible was one or more other people. I still believe that. She clearly lied and attempted to mislead investigators, but IMO that was to protect another individual. So she was guilty of lieing, and I believe that she participated in a cover up of what happened, but that is the extent of her guilt beyond being an irresponsible mother.

If there is decomp and a deathbanded hair in the car of the person who was in possession of it for thirty one days and that person was Casey Anthony, I don't see your point. The jury wanted a cause of death....which is not a reason to acquit. They said there was reasonable doubt which there wasn't. They didn't understand the term....what the jury had was doubt that was NOT reasonable.

The jury was not capable of connecting dots....despite the prosecution's explanation. When a mother doesn't call in a missing child and the child's decomp and hair is in the trunk of her car and she had possession of it, who else could have? WTH is needed....a video? Of course, she was responsible....FGS!

I will say that the jury looking her in the eye everyday was major. Juries seldom convict when they look at the defendent....

This move of the table also prevented large pictures being put up and FCA having to look at them. Strategy. She didn't have to look, she was coddled and hugged and the jury got to see the casey show. The table never should have been moved.

she was coddled and hugged and the jury got to see the casey show.

my snip

wasnt that some bull[censored]. I've never heard of suchlike before and likely will never hear of it again. that's my only criticism of HHJP ....that dog & anthony show, why did he allow that? I couldnt even guess.

still if you'd told me this time a year ago that any 12 people on earth would fall for THAT [censored], I would have laughed you out of the room.

That however isn't what the appeal will be about. The defence will argue that the 4 charges were part of a single crime, and therefore the penalty should run concurrently. Not that it will make any difference for Casey though, by the time all of that is settled she will probably have completed her probation anyway, so it is not really about her.

It will be more for the benefit of case law as a precedent. Normally in situations like this, if I understood what was said at the time correctly, the defendent is sentenced concurrently in this sort of situation. But, the judge sentenced consecutively in this case. That is what the appeal is for.

Btw, you don't know that she dumped her dead baby, no evidence was presented that showed she did do that, which is the main reason she was acquited. It wasn't because of the defence's tactics or Baez's skill, the problem was that the evidence for the prosecutions allegations simply was not there. I think the main reason why they didn't proceed with lesser charges was because of public pressure. They went for the big charge because everyone expected it and ended up with nothing as a result.

IMO the evidence suggested that she did not even know for sure her kid was dead until the body was found, and that the person/s responsible was one or more other people. I still believe that. She clearly lied and attempted to mislead investigators, but IMO that was to protect another individual. So she was guilty of lieing, and I believe that she participated in a cover up of what happened, but that is the extent of her guilt beyond being an irresponsible mother.

BBM... for example... whom was she protecting? She would protect somebody who killed her baby and then spend 4 years in jail pretending she didn't know what happened, and that makes sense?

She was protecting herself and got good manipulative council on how to do it. No doubt in my mind she knew exactly where the body was and so did Baez because she told him.

BBM... for example... whom was she protecting? She would protect somebody who killed her baby and then spend 4 years in jail pretending she didn't know what happened, and that makes sense?

She couldn't have been tring to protect Zanny, she blamed her.
She couldn't have been trying to protect Jesse, she tried to set him up.
She couldn't have been trying to protect her father, she blamed him.

I quoted the wrong post cause I totally agree with this gnatcatcher..

BBM- I got the impression that all the appeal has to do with is being found guilty of only one crime...regardless of how justice was meted out. They want the other convictions tossed. As far as the rest....Casey not sure her daughter was dead? Then why did her attorney say Caylee drowned? That seems to me like a definite response to what happened to Caylee. Does that mean that Baez lied?

ITA...the judge during the MJ trial was in control of his courtroom.

AS to # 3, the 'materiality' of the lies. I heard TH defense attorney making that argument. She said, [ and she was an Andrea Lyon protege'] that the appeal would be based upon the fact that the lies were immaterial to the crimes at hand. PPFFFTTT

The sole purpose of ALL of those lies was to stall the investigatiion into the child's death.

Agreed, and now to stall creates a situation where FCA cannot do interviews for her GAZILLIONS! :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

That's how she got to 500 lbs! doing mock interviews for Klondikes! :floorlaugh:

Picturing it now......

CHOMP.....CHOMP....."um, yes....." CHOMP......"obviously,......." CHOMP...CHOMP....

Snipped

She was in jail by the time they found caylee so how could she have participated in the coverup if she didn't even know her child was dead? This scenario is not logical and does not fit the evidence. Dogs, humans and machines detected decomp in her car and Caylee's body got there some how. not rocket science.

If I understand this charge correctly it is for telling four lies. She is not being charged with telling "a story." She is being charged for her lies. Defense wants to lump the four lies into one because they are loosely connected to one of several stories she told to deflect guilt from herself.

True the lies were, all four, intended to cover her guilt with one story, but they were still four separate lies.

IMO, she should sit down and shut up. She should not be tempting anyone to make an actual count of all the lies she has spouted. I don't think that here at WS we would even have enough combined fingers and toes to tally all of them! What gall!

Court Filings as of May 2012

05/08/2012 Mot. for Extension of time to file Initial Brief Appellant

05/09/2012 Order Grant EOT for Initial Brief 06/11/2012

06/11/2012 Initial Brief on Merits Appellant

06/11/2012 Request for Oral Argument AA Lisabeth Fryer 89035

07/02/2012 Mot. for Extensio of time to file Answer Brief Attorney General - Appellee

07/05/2012 Order Grant EOT for Answer Brief 08/06/2012

08/06/2012 Mot. for Extensio of time to file Answer Brief Attorney General - Appellee
08/08/2012 Order Grant EOT for Answer Brief 09/06/2012

09/06/2012 Appellee's Answer Brief Attorney General - Appellee

09/25/2012 Mot. for Extension of Time to File Reply Brief Appellant

09/28/2012 Order Grant EOT Reply Brief 10/26/2012

10/29/2012 Appellant's Reply Brief Appellant

01/08/2013 Oral Argument Date Set 5th DCA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics