Cell Phone Activity Discussion Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Picerno told Fox that it was DB's phone that attempted to call MW's

And had no idea that Verizon didn't have SIM Cards LOL

Picerno could be implying it was DB's phone because it was in her possession. Lawyers can be tricky like that.

They do have sim cards but they also have serial numbers for all the phones used with the sim cards. It registers on both the phone itself and a sim card.

Now I'm starting to wonder if DB was fibbing about one of her phones not working. Why not tell verizon? They would fix it ASAP. Perhaps she knew it was being shut off and just told her dad a story. Yeah, I know, I'm jaded.

City, I don't even know if she places the call from any of those two phones. Maybe it was placed from gramp's phone?

Maybe it was a wrong number? Maybe it was a return of a wrong number from one of the other two phones. I just don't know. Heck, now I can't even remember what time the darn call was allegedly made.

We have not been given clear information concerning ownership or calls made.

I understand it came from a lawyer, so don't know how credible it is, but it's the only info we got.

JP said specifically, the call came from DB's phone. Now, perhaps I'm reading more into it than I should, but I took DB's phone to mean one of DB's phones, not the phone that was loaned to her.

If it is the case that call came from one of the phones that didn't have service, we can I guess assume that because we are told the call to MW's number at 11:57pm never went through, it was one of the restricted phones. The loan phone still had service, did it not? (what was the point of loaning it to her then?)

If DB was the one who made the call, why would she purposely use her own phone to make the call, when you knew she had a perfectly good working phone that grandpa lent her?

Picerno could be implying it was DB's phone because it was in her possession. Lawyers can be tricky like that.

They do have sim cards but they also have serial numbers for all the phones used with the sim cards. It registers on both the phone itself and a sim card.

Now I'm starting to wonder if DB was fibbing about one of her phones not working. Why not tell verizon? They would fix it ASAP. Perhaps she knew it was being shut off and just told her dad a story. Yeah, I know, I'm jaded.

verizon does not use sim cards. verizon uses CMDA network, as opposed to GSM (sim cards)

sources: http://cellphones.about.com/od/phoneglossary/g/cdma.htm
Sprint, Virgin Mobile and Verizon Wireless use CDMA while T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-gsm-and-cdma.htm
In the United States only GSM phones use SIM cards.

hope that helps.

It would seem you are right. However she was in possession of another's phone. To keep things less confusing, it would be referred to as her phone at the time.

Unless, she was drunk and forgot the cell was dead, then she would have used her gramp's phone....that is, if she was the one placing a call.

I understand it came from a lawyer, so don't know how credible it is, but it's the only info we got.

JP said specifically, the call came from DB's phone. Now, perhaps I'm reading more into it than I should, but I took DB's phone to mean one of DB's phones, not the phone that was loaned to her.

If it is the case that call came from one of the phones that didn't have service, we can I guess assume that because we are told the call to MW's number at 11:57pm never went through, it was one of the restricted phones. The loan phone still had service, did it not? (what was the point of loaning it to her then?)

If DB was the one who made the call, why would she purposely use her own phone to make the call, when you knew she had a perfectly good working phone that grandpa lent her?
I agree. At least one of the phones had service.

Did LE say it didn't go through because the phone was restricted? There are other reasons for a call not going through. However, for the sake of argument, I will say it is verizon's records they pulled and it was her account. She could have dialed a number and sat there and said nothing or never hit send. She may have been confused or bewildered at that point and then again it may not have been her calling. There may have been someone else in the house with her at the time who picked up that phone in error.

Didn't LE find MW through Craig's List. Maybe there is a connection there...don't know and it's too crazy to speculate. For the moment, I am filing it away and forgetting the call unless something substantial comes out of it.

Why didn't JI just call the neighbor SB's phone to reach his partner to tell her he was working late? She was in his home looking in on Baby Lisa (who was apparently fine) and he would have known that she was hanging out that night or is that too much to presume?

bbm. alright, here is where i'm confused. from my understanding, the loaner phone was given to DB because her original phone was having speaker and mic issues. (not because the service was cut off) per this post by her father:

Debbie's cell phone had been acting up and the speakers and microphone on it were continually only working intermittently. So Sunday October 2 <Modsnip> my Dad gave Debbie his old plain jane phone that has NO way to collect contact information on it. Debbie transferred the service from her old phone to the one that my Dad (her Grandpa) gave her.When she went home later that night she had both of her phones out and started coping numbers one by one into the phone she got from her Grandpa. She didn't get them all done of course so she left them on the table. Jeremy's PERSONAL cell phone was also on the table. These 3 phones were the ones that were stolen.

i would like to know how you have concluded that the loaner phone was working. thanks cityslick :)

Vinnie on HLN is covering the story right now. I don't know if it is new. Just a FYI

Nowhere have I seen information stating the phone DB received was an "active phone". The phrase "working phone" most likely means "her's was broke" and the one she received "was a working phone" meaning all of the functions worked. When her dad said she "transferred service to it" one could assume that had to be done for the working phone to be activated.

bbm

Well that changes everything. Why would he give her a broken old unused phone, when she had one in the drawer that was found by LE according to the warrant.

maybe I should take a break too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklin
The phone that she got from her grandfather was an old unused extra one that he had...like the 7 that are sitting in my file cabinet

Wasn't working as in BROKEN as opposed to disconnected.
bbm

DEBS phone was broken - not the grandfathers!

Nowhere have I seen information stating the phone DB received was an "active phone". The phrase "working phone" most likely means "her's was broke" and the one she received "was a working phone" meaning all of the functions worked. When her dad said she "transferred service to it" one could assume that had to be done for the working phone to be activated.
Or that he assumed that it had been done. They might not have told them about the phone bill being late and that the switch could not be done until the bill was current.

verizon doesn't use sim cards :) but it is as easy as going online or calling them.

my Verizon phone has a SIM card . . . Android 3

I've been a customer since 1999 & cannot say I have ever gone into a store to receive an upgraded phone. Have been doing it online for at least 10 yrs. They ship it Fed Ex right to my door . . .

It's my understanding from talking to someone a couple of weeks ago Verizon only has sim cards in the super smart phones with GPS capabilities and such, like an Android.

my Verizon phone has a SIM card . . . Android 3

yes, i have heard that some new phones on Verizon do have SIM cards, i'm not 100% clear on why that is. but here is what i found:

The Droid 3 features a pre-installed SIM card to further expands the handset&#8217;s global reach. The inclusion of the GSM-compatiblity makes this Droid 3 a true world-roamer, though (as a Verizon warns) data fees could reach as high as $20 per MB when outside the US.
http://phandroid.com/2011/07/18/motorola-droid-3-reveals-its-sim-card-in-device-teardown/

http://www.verizonwireless.com/droid-3-motorola.shtml
Customers must activate pre-installed SIM Card and a Global Service plan or feature to enable roaming outside of the U.S. in GSM and UMTS Network.
International Roaming (CDMA) is available on all Verizon Wireless devices and does not require an activated SIM Card. (Global Data Plan or Feature is suggested)

this is kind of moot though until we know what specific model phones these were. lol. if DB did have a new phone with sim card on verizon, i believe she still would have to transfer service by phone or online as the plain jane phone would not be sim card capable.

My total take on ALL phones:

Deb's phone had speaker/mic problems therefore was NOT WORKING/broken.
Jeremys personal phone was fine.
BOTH of the above were on (partial?) restricted access as of Monday afternoon. (Possibly before that and was placed on full restriction at that time)

Jeremys work phone was fine all around.

Sunday when Deb was at the birthday party, her father gave her a plain jane, but UNBROKEN phone from her grandfather that he no longer used...and did NOT have service.

Sunday evening, possibly Monday morning, Deb was transferring #'s from her phone to her grandfathers that still had NO service.

When my daughter was late on her phone payment (different provider and in Canada mind you) when she phone to have some of her features removed...they wouldn't do it until her account was up to date, so I find it hard to believe that Deb could transfer service to her grandfathers phone when they were delinquent with their payments.

Mostly my opinion only :)

yes, i have heard that some new phones on Verizon do have SIM cards, i'm not 100% clear on why that is. but here is what i found:

http://phandroid.com/2011/07/18/motorola-droid-3-reveals-its-sim-card-in-device-teardown/

http://www.verizonwireless.com/droid-3-motorola.shtml

this is kind of moot though until we know what specific model phones these were. lol. if DB did have a new phone with sim card on verizon, i believe she still would have to transfer service by phone or online as the plain jane phone would not be sim card capable.
Exactly. And I bet the service could not be transferred yet. Not until the account was made current.

My total take on ALL phones:

Deb's phone had speaker/mic problems therefore was NOT WORKING/broken.
Jeremys personal phone was fine.
BOTH of the above were on (partial?) restricted access as of Monday afternoon. (Possibly before that and was placed on full restriction at that time)

Jeremys work phone was fine all around.

Sunday when Deb was at the birthday party, her father gave her a plain jane, but UNBROKEN phone from her grandfather that he no longer used...and did NOT have service.

Sunday evening, possibly Monday morning, Deb was transferring #'s from her phone to her grandfathers that still had NO service.

When my daughter was late on her phone payment (different provider and in Canada mind you) when she phone to have some of her features removed...they wouldn't do it until her account was up to date, so I find it hard to believe that Deb could transfer service to her grandfathers phone when they were delinquent with their payments.

Mostly my opinion only :)
This is my understanding. And this would also explain WHY she had to put the numbers in manually as the plain jane phone did not have a way to transfer the numbers to it.

Call Verizon. They will transfer the service from phone to phone regardless if you are late on your bill.

It's kind of like having a landline phone and being late on your bill. The phone company doesn't care what phone you have plugged into the wall. .. service will be restricted at whatever time regardless. It's the same with the cell phone. It makes no difference what handset you are using to access your service.

DN says that she transferred her service from her Smart phone to the plain jane one Sunday night. According to Jackie at Verizon, there are three ways to do that, on the web, over the phone, or in the store. I'm not sure why DN would say that if it wasn't true.

So the real question is, if whoever was attempting the calls, web, that night was using the Smart phone, would it ping to the tower without service? Idk, but it wouldn't register as DB's IMSI, as that would have been already reassigned to the plain jane phone and it would have most likely just said "No Service" on the screen of the phone.

HTH

Exactly. And I bet the service could not be transferred yet. Not until the account was made current.

we don't know if grandpa's phone was planned to be activated on the irwin's cell phone account or if it was active on another provider - or if it was unactive and the irwin's planned to activate it as part of their current cell service - or a completely different cell phone provider. we just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx