Chile - Erica Hagan, 22, Temuco, 6 September 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

neverletgo

Reaction score
How signatures from St. Louisans helped reopen a Chilean murder mystery
Erica Hagan was 22 when she was found murdered in an on-campus apartment. Her sister helped collect signatures for a petition to reopen the 2014 case.
Author: Christine Byers (KSDK)
Published: 4:50 PM CDT September 15, 2020
Updated: 8:01 PM CDT September 15, 2020

Snipped:
Erica Faith Hagan was a 22-year-old Georgetown graduate student teaching children how to speak English in Chile when she was found beaten to death in her on-campus apartment.

Six years later, her murder remains unsolved.

But it is far from forgotten.

The killer, or killers, tried to set the apartment on fire.

A security guard was arrested, but acquitted at trial.

Allegations of a botched investigation soon surfaced.

Erica’s watch went missing from evidence.

A police officer’s DNA was found on the fire poker because of careless crime scene processing.

And the prosecutor was related to Erica Hagan’s host family – several members of whom were questioned as suspects.

Link: St. Louisans helped reopen investigation of murder in Chile | ksdk.com

Hagan murder remains unsolved; O’Neal: ‘It took 3 years for me to even discuss case’
JOHN WRIGHT • jwright@murrayledger.com
Sep 4, 2018

Snipped:
I’ve also found that there were about 68 different errors made during the investigation. I was pretty sure that the person they had charged was not the real killer. So I’ve sent about 70 legal papers down there to have this case re-investigated. There are more questions that need to be asked. I believe there is a cover-up of some kind going on.”

ezgif-com-resize.jpg
5b8dd0c28b5ce-image-1.jpg

Link: Hagan murder remains unsolved; O’Neal: ‘It took 3 years for me to even discuss case’

Erica Hagan’s family searches for answers weeks after not guilty verdict
By WPSD Staff
Jan 11, 2016

Snipped:
The only explanation Hagan’s family has for the not guilty verdict is an email from the Public Prosecutors Office in Temuco, Chile, explaining the judge’s reasoning. It lists reasons, including no motive. It says, "Cofre did not have a reason to kill Erica. He passed the psychiatric assessment, and the person who killed Erica must have had a lot of anger against her. Cofre was described as a calmed person who vaguely knew Erica."

5d40904e2a5da-image-1.jpg

Link: Erica Hagan’s family searches for answers weeks after not guilty verdict

@FISCALIA_IX it reopened the investigation into the homicide of Erica Hagan, entrusting a team of prosecutors specialized in violent crimes and gender-based violence to carry out the proceedings. Spokesperson Daniela San Martín delivers more antecedents pic.twitter.com/eXDUsz84cH

– Araucanía Prosecutor’s Office (@FISCALIA_IX) September 5, 2020

Recent grad killed at Chilean school
September 29, 2014

Snipped:
Her friends and family remember Hagan as a vibrant and adventurous young woman who was strong in her love for Christ, the Recorder reported. Her infectious laugh and elegant demeanor were combined with a heart to serve others. She enjoyed working with kids, meeting new people, playing the clarinet, and she had donated her hair to Locks of Love. She was the 2010 valedictorian at Calloway High School in Murray, Ky.

7f37d3d4-4add-4212-89ee-8d7a0459a644-Erica-Hagan-mug.jpg

Link: Recent grad killed at Chilean school - Baptist Press

Snipped:
Ms Hagan, 22, from Murray, Kentucky, was working as a teaching assistant in English and religious education at the Colegio Bautista school in the city of Temuco, 600km south of the capital Santiago. Her lifeless body was found in her dormitory bathtub on Sept 6, 2014.

erica-faith-hagan-1.jpg

Link: Erica Faith Hagan, 22, from Murray, KY

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyStacyStacy