GUILTY China - Wang Yue, 2, killed in hit & run, Foshan, Guangdong, 13 Oct 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Long time lurker, this is my first post but I felt compelled to speak up for this little one. I have a precious two year old son so this hits home hard with me. I have recently done some reading on the topic of compassion and why humans don't feel compelled to help others in need when there is a great distance between them and questioning why we would help a person on the street that is in urgent need of help but not feel that same complusion when the person is thousands of miles away (was thinking of the famine in Africa). BUT THIS - this makes NO SENSE to me whatsoever. That precious child is just lying there dying and help walks on by (I haven't watched the video, can't bare to).

We are all humans, would we not want someone to help our own child? The depths of human depravity continue to astound me.

I urge you to rent the documentary "I Am". It is incredible and may make you feel a bit better about human nature. It sure changed my mind. It's about the director of films like Ace Ventura, Pet detective, who suffered grave injuries as a result of a bike accident and who reevaluated his opulent lifestyle after.

He interviewed many of the greatest minds living, religious leaders, philosophers, scientists and activists and researched the question of human nature to an incredible degree. The result was that in fact, we are designed, and it is our in-born nature, to help one another, to come together and assist each other. Indeed, he concludes that such an instinct is and was necessary to our survival as a species.

What happened here is a grotesque anomaly that showcases the worst of us (certainly the worst of China). But what about all the news stories we read of people in our country and around the world who risk their own lives and limbs to rescue others? Think about how people come together in times of natural disasters or acts of terrorism. Do you know how many people gave blood after 911? And how many people braved the dust and the horror to find those lost in the Twin Towers?

Yes, humans can be depraved and I am disgusted with the China at present. But I now conclude that our true nature is the opposite of the appalling indifference displayed by those passersby who left a little baby girl to bleed to death on the street as if she was roadkill.

The drivers who shamed China: Two arrested in death of two-year-old Yue Yue - who was run over TWICE as dozens of people ignored her lying in the road
Police identified drivers through the grisly video that showed toddler's tragic accident
Announcement of her death quickly became the most talked about topic on China's version of Twitter
Lawmakers set to meet to discuss introduction of 'Good Samaritan' legislation
Country's economic boom and disparity between rich and poor have made changing social values a contentious topic
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 12:48 PM on 24th October 2011

Comments (36)
Add to My Stories

Two drivers suspected of running over a Chinese toddler who later died from her injuries have been arrested after a police investigation, newspaper reported Sunday.
The Beijing News and other outlets reported that police in the city of Foshan concluded their initial investigation and ordered the two men formally arrested, a step that almost always leads to a trial.
It did not say what they were being charged with and calls to Foshan police were unanswered.
Scroll down for the video... Warning: Graphic content

Yue Yue was left with horrific brain injuries following the accident and she never recovered

Unaware: Video footage shows the youngster crossing the road at Guangfo Hardware Market, without realising the van approaching her

Her devastated mother and father try to come to terms with their loss
Two-year-old Wang Yue was struck by the vehicles on a busy market street on October 13, and the gruesome ordeal was captured by security camera footage.
The horrific video showed the bleeding child ignored by 18 passersby before she was picked up by a scrap picker and given to her mother, who rushed to the street looking for her.
A week after the accident, the child was dead.
Police said they were able to identify the vehicles from the footage.

More...
Veteran teacher arrested after choking six-year-old girl with her own sweater and dragging her across a playground
Smell of death picked up by police cadaver dog could be decades old, says lawyer for Baby Lisa's parents
RIGHTMINDS: Is this the little girl that finally made China care?
The video of the incident quickly spread via the internet causing shock around the world and triggered a bout of bitter soul searching in China about the nation’s apparent moral decay in the midst of an economic boom.
As a result people in China called upon the government to introduce a 'Good Samaritan law' to punish passersby who refuse to help people in need.

Yue Yue pictured as she is held by her mother with her older brother in the foreground
The case triggered a furor across the nation, which questioned how such callousness could occur - with some blaming it a descent into an 'immoral modern society'.
China's economic boom and the growing disparity between the rich and poor have made changing social values a contentious topic, with some lamenting what they see as materialism replacing morals.
Yue Yue's death quickly became the most talked about topic on China's version of Twitter, Sina's Weibo.
Gongzai Xiaoben posted: 'I hope that this little angel who was discarded by society can act as a wake-up call to the nation about the importance of moral education.'
Winter space added: 'Hope you can find some love in heaven. This world is full of apathy.'
Her father had received more than 270,000 yuan ($42,280) to help pay for Wang's medical treatment after receiving donations from across the globe.
One local Communist party chief urged 'searching reflection' over the incident, according to the official Guangzhou Daily.
'Take active and effective steps to raise the moral standards of the entire society,' he told a meeting of province officials.
Wang Yang, a top official, told a high-level provincial meeting that the tragedy of Yue Yue should be a 'wake-up call' for society and that such incidents should not be allowed to occur again.
'We should look into the ugliness in ourselves with a dagger of conscience and bite the soul-searching bullet.'
Many people in China are hesitant to help people who appear to be in distress for fear that they will be blamed.

Yue Yue's parents received donations from across the world to help them pay for hospital treatment
High-profile lawsuits have ended with Good Samaritans ordered to pay hefty fines to individuals they sought to help.
In Guangdong, where Yue Yue lived her brief life, the local party branch and government are attempting to apply a sticky plaster over Chinese society's gaping wound by discussing a new law to make it illegal for people to ignore strangers in distress.
Lawyer Zhu Yongping says that the province could establish a Good Samaritan law as a local law, but it is difficult to define the motives of a person in each individual case.
A group of lawyers will discuss the idea next month and push for related legislation.
Despite its current social conditions, the Chinese government can point to some positive achievements, having lifted 400 million out of poverty to create a new middle class living in modern high rises in futuristic cities and peasants finding new lives in the factory boom towns.
The vast majority of Chinese are literate and many well educated. Many are poor but none are starving.

Yue Yue is hit by the van, which fails to stop, leaving her lying in the road. The driver has since been arrested

Eventually a woman dragged Yue Yue to the side of the road before her mother arrived on the scene

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...banghead::furious::furious::furious::furious:

From September 2012:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...and-run-3-1-2-year-sentence-article-1.1153201

A Chinese man will serve three and a half years in prison for the hit-and-run death of a 2-year-old girl, who was then ignored by more than a dozen people as she lay dying in the street.

A court in the Guangdong Province city of Foshan convicted Hu Jun of manslaughter for running over Wang Yue on Oct. 13 in an alley outside her father's hardware store, Chinese media reported.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kezzx
Back