Christchurch New Zealand 6.3 Earthquake 2.21.2011 Multiple Deaths

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
what do they mean by depth (in kilometers)

I`ve been reading the links but I need a layperson`s explanation

does it mean that`s how far down the `crack`(for lack of a better term) goes

please forgive my ignorance

BBM. Good question. I do not know the answer to that though.

By "minutes warning," do you mean to scientists sitting at seismographs? Because after 25 years in California, I've never yet heard a warning of a specific temblor. (Of course, there are the general warnings that the San Andreas, for example, is overdue for a major shift. But nothing that tells the individual when to expect the shaking to start.)

BTW, as someone who grew up in South Florida with hurricanes, but has spent his adult life in Southern California, let me add that hurricanes at least afford one the illusion of control. (And in some cases, such the areas below sea level during Katrina, it really is an illusion.) You can board up your windows, evacuate, etc.

Major earthquakes feel like the entire planet is suddenly running amok without warning.

Yes, I should have worded that better. The scientists that are monitoring, may see minutes warnings. The general public does not get any warning :( They just happen too fast.

Yes, I should have worded that better. The scientists that are monitoring, may see minutes warnings. The general public does not get any warning :( They just happen too fast.

Thanks. I didn't mean to pick on your post. I thought (hoped) you were getting warnings that I didn't know about. If my cat senses earthquakes in advance, it doesn't do us any good. All he does is sit and look at me to see if I'm getting excited about the shaking. If not, he just goes back to sleep.

what do they mean by depth (in kilometers)

I`ve been reading the links but I need a layperson`s explanation

does it mean that`s how far down the `crack`(for lack of a better term) goes

please forgive my ignorance

Nothing to forgive. Here's how Wiki defines it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocenter

An earthquake's hypocenter, the position where the strain energy stored in the rock is first released, marking the point where the fault begins to rupture. This occurs at the focal depth below the epicentre.

So, yes, that's where the "crack" begins, but I don't think it means the crack necessarily runs from there to the surface.

The epicenter is the point on the surface directly above the hypocenter. That's the point the media usually focuses on, but as we see in New Zealand, depth may be more important than surface location.

Buildings damaged in Tuesday's earthquake in Christchurch are being made more unstable by rain falling in the city today, police say.
At a joint media conference this morning, Superintendent Dave Cliff said the body count from the earthquake had risen to 113 and police hoped to release more names of victims later today. He said over 200 people were still missing and there were grave fears for their safety

More at link:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10708664

Thanks. I didn't mean to pick on your post. I thought (hoped) you were getting warnings that I didn't know about. If my cat senses earthquakes in advance, it doesn't do us any good. All he does is sit and look at me to see if I'm getting excited about the shaking. If not, he just goes back to sleep.

You weren't picking ;) LOL about the cat! Our dog gave us an earthquake warning once, but of course we didn't know what he was trying to say!

I hate that everytime i open this thread.... The number is bigger ;( Our world pissed off Mother nature in a bad way it seems.....

i remember during one of the earthquakes here in Southern California I turned around to see my two cats hauling *advertiser censored** down the stairs like a flash of light and thinking,"what's doing on"? Next thing I know...EARTHQUAKE!!!

i remember during one of the earthquakes here in Southern California I turned around to see my two cats hauling *advertiser censored** down the stairs like a flash of light and thinking,"what's doing on"? Next thing I know...EARTHQUAKE!!!

One wonders where they think they are going...

Slideshows:

Christchurch earthquake: Suburban horror begins to emerge

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/christchu...036&gal_cid=1503036&gallery_id=116969#7387008

Christchurch earthquake: Devastation reverberates

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/christchu...036&gal_cid=1503036&gallery_id=116954#7384504

That is simply shocking. The Northridge quake in L.A. in the early 90s was of a similar strength, but only 60 people were killed and I don't remember anything like those scenes of destruction. But even so, numerous buildings at L.A.--that didn't look so bad--were eventually condemned and rebuilt.

Doesn't anyone understand the numerous photos of standing water? Did a dam burst? Or is that just from rain fall after the quake?

That is simply shocking. The Northridge quake in L.A. in the early 90s was of a similar strength, but only 60 people were killed and I don't remember anything like those scenes of destruction. But even so, numerous buildings at L.A.--that didn't look so bad--were eventually condemned and rebuilt.

Doesn't anyone understand the numerous photos of standing water? Did a dam burst? Or is that just from rain fall after the quake?

The flooding is liquifaction so severe that water came up through cracks and formed rivers. The water even came up into businesses and houses. I've never seen anything like it.

The flooding is liquifaction so severe that water came up through cracks and formed rivers. The water even came up into businesses and houses. I've never seen anything like it.

Wow. I see. I used to live in a sandy area near the beach in Los Angeles and we were always warned about the danger of liquifaction. (Supposedly it's also a danger where I now live in the desert!) So I knew what it was in theory and I've seen houses that "tipped" one way or another because they couldn't float on liquid earth.

But I never imagined it could produce so much water!

Thanks for the explanation.

The death toll from the massive Christchurch earthquake will be more than 200, police said tonight.
Superintendent Dave Cliff confirmed the death toll in Christchurch had increased to 147.
He said there are still more than 200 people missing, including a New Zealand police officer.
"We know many - if not all - of the confirmed dead will be on that list," Mr Cliff said this evening.
"So there are still over 50 unaccounted for."
That would give a total of more than 200 dead - "and probably a little higher than that, ultimately".

More at link:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10709132

I live in the north island of New Zealand and my heart aches for the people of Christchurch.

Latest estimates following the announcement of 147 dead is that the "unaccounted for" is approximately 50. The figures of 200 missing previously announced included those who are now classed as fatalities :(

The centre of Christchurch is expected to be shut down for months. Approximately a third of the buildings are expected to be demolished.

Numbers of police from the Australian states of Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales have travelled to New Zealand to support and relieve exhausted local police.

About half of Christchurch is still without water, and around 20% without electricity (ie about 37,000 customers).

http://www.theage.com.au/world/death-toll-rises-to-147-50-missing-20110226-1b9aa.html

There are some astonishing stories of survival and bravery coming out. Of note is the story of a Urologists' conference that was taking place in Christchurch at the time, with leading surgeons from Australian also in attendance. These doctors volunteered to assist with rescue of a number of people buried under the rubble.

They were involved in several rescue efforts such as being carried on cherry pickers to cut holes through the tops of buildings and jumping into confined spaces where people were trapped. They also rendered first aid on the spot.

In one particular case a female doctor from Queensland (Australia) was the smallest person available to access a man trapped in the collapsed Pyne Gould building. She performed a double leg amputation on a man using makeshift tools (Swiss Army knife and a hacksaw) and with minimal anaesthesia available. These stories are harrowing – this woman has returned home, herself suffering trauma from the experience of this surgical procedure – but it shows that everyone who is able is working together to save each and every person that they are able to, even where this rescue puts their own lives at risk. Many heroes.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...es-mans-legs-with-hacksaw-20110225-1b7gm.html

So sad. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deborah_Swell
Back