Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure I would hold the zoo responsible. It might depend on whether or not their enclosure was up to code for housing a gorilla.

When we enter private property like a mall or a zoo there is some assumption of risk. A reasonable person should know that if they let their child climb into a gorilla enclosure that harm will likely come. For those not so reasonable people there are signs. jmo

That is not what the law says.

Premises liability is the liability for a landowner for certain torts that occur on the real property. This can range from things from "injuries caused by a variety of hazardous conditions, including open excavations, uneven pavement, standing water, crumbling curbs, wet floors, uncleared snow, icy walks, falling objects, inadequate security, insufficient lighting, concealed holes, improperly secured mats, or defects in chairs or benches". In sum: Premises liability law is the body of law which makes the person who is in possession of land or premises responsible for certain injuries suffered by persons who are present on the premises.

Premises liability

PETA Statement re Gorilla Killed at Ohio Zoo

Yet again, captivity has taken an animal’s life. The gorilla enclosure should have been surrounded by a secondary barrier between the humans and the animals to prevent exactly this type of incident. Gorillas have shown that they can be protective of smaller living beings and react the same way any human would to a child in danger. Consider Binti Jua, the gorilla who carried a child to a zookeeper’s gate. Even under the “best” circumstances, captivity is never acceptable for gorillas or other primates, and in cases like this, it’s even deadly. This tragedy is exactly why PETA urges families to stay away from any facility that displays animals as sideshows for humans to gawk at.

Statement from PETA Primatologist Julia Gallucci.

PETA Statement re Gorilla Killed at Ohio Zoo

I'm just jumping off your post, but I wish we didn't have zoos, not for the public anyway.

I recently rescued a koala that was stunned when hit by a car, and he was sent off to a zoo, they found an old break in his wrist that had healed incorrectly, and now he's living in an enclosure, if I could have my time over I'd have simply stayed with him until he was fully alert and let him go on his way, he'd been living with that break for years and it wasn't a problem for him.

Animals belong in the wild, not in cages with people oggling over them, and acting like gods.
Agreed! To piggyback off of your post, caging an animal is cruelty; a death sentence not warranted.:twocents:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/30/u...-enters-enclosure-at-cincinnati-zoo.html?_r=0

It also led several people on social media to question the mother’s culpability, but Ms. Nicely said it would be unfair to judge the mother too harshly.

“I don’t feel like it was neglectful,” she said. “She had three other kids that she was with. She had a baby in her arms. It was literally the blink of an eye.”

She added: “I saw it, and I couldn’t even prevent it. It happened so fast.”

There is a witness who reportedly heard this kid telling the mother he wants to get into water inside the exhibit. So mother was warned. Witness also reportedly heard mother telling the kid NO, but it certainly would appear her kid didn't listen to her (I presume wouldn't be the first time?)

From the article.

The zoo responded very quickly, clearing the area and attempting to save both the child and the gorilla! The right choice was made. Thank God the child survived with non-life threatening, but serious injuries! This was an open exhibit! Which means the only thing separating you from the gorillas, is a 15 ish foot drop and a moat and some bushes! ! This mother was not negligent and the zoo did an awesome job handling the situation! Especially since that had never happened before! ! Thankful for the zoo and their attempts and my thoughts and prayers goes out to this boy, his mother and his family.

Was there another adult with the mother and four children, including a babe-in-arms? Seems like mother had her hands full - literally.

This "awesome job" resulted in endangered animal being killed. This animal is irreplaceable. He hasn't even reproduced yet.

I believe the "awesome job” the witness is talking about was them saving the life of the boy.

Thats said, I believe the zoo was negligent, and failed to protect their animals as well as their human visitors.

I believe the "awesome job” the witness is talking about was them saving the life of the boy.

Thats said, I believe the zoo was negligent, and failed to protect their animals as well as their human visitors.

Well, I guess the zoos were build to prevent animals from getting out. And in 38 years, no problems. Enclosure is up to standards. But nowdays, seems like zoos need to modify enclosures to prevent people from getting in.

As for "awesome job" no I don't believe zoo did an awesome job. I don't think gorilla was trying to kill this kid. If gorilla was trying to kill the kid, the kid would be dead during the 10 minutes he was inside the enclosure. As such, I don't believe shooting was the only option. Why didn't they try to lure gorilla away with food or whatever else he likes? Get the people away from enclosure to stop screaming and agitating the gorilla. Take a little time instead of using lethal force right away.

"Others said the zoo was too quick to take the decision to shoot Harambe. Ian Redmond, chairman of The Gorilla Organization, said zookeepers had other options besides a fatal shot."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/30/us/gorilla-shot-harambe/

[video=youtube;dMV4KdoY_hc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMV4KdoY_hc[/video]

Well, I guess the zoos were build to prevent animals from getting out. And in 38 years, no problems. Enclosure is up to standards. But nowdays, seems like zoos need to modify enclosures to prevent people from getting in.

38 years without an incident like this proves nothing, except that they were very lucky. The San Francisco Zoo Tiger Exhibit existed for 70 years before one of the cats jumped out of it and killed someone. It was not up to standards, and I seriously doubt the Cincinnati Zoo is up to standards either, or this incident would not have happened.

I haven't read every post, but I have some thoughts about this topic. I spent my entire career at Busch Gardens; not in Zoology, but Operations. A few weeks ago in south Florida (I think the Palm Beach Zoo, or something close to that?) a big cat trainer (again, I'm getting old, lol, but either a tiger or lion) attacked a trainer. This happens somewhere in the world every year or two, on average, because too many trainers anthropomorphize the animals. They think THEY are special to the animal they've tended for years.

They're wrong, of course. I have trouble getting many people to side with me on this fact. Even WE don't fully understand what makes up OUR OWN definition of morality inasmuch as we can code a computer to exercise it (or more broadly - consciousness). If we did, we would be able to create (actual) artificial intelligence. Large animal trainers should be rotated regularly, and reminded constantly not to think the animal is their "buddy." But this big cat trainer died at the hospital, which surprised and angered me. They did NOT shoot the cat, which means she could have been saved. They were waiting for a tranquilizer to take effect. They either weren't prepared with a gun and someone who could shoot it, or they CHOSE to let her die.

I understand the anger. The mother made a mistake, certainly. The zoo needs to shore up the habitat (the kid crawled underneath something, I read?). But all zoos need to have a procedure in place, and they should train for an emergency of this kind. The ONLY thing to do in that situation is to follow the training and IMMEDIATELY shoot and kill an extremely large wild animal. I think the Cincy Zoo did a pretty good job, even though what happened is a tragedy.

If someone can't understand that, they're either assuming trainers have time to sit down and have a meeting when this kind of situation occurs (which is nonsense, of course), or they have an even bigger problem: They don't understand who to save between the animal and the human being.

That is not what the law says.

Premises liability

Assumption of risk is a defense that is sometimes raised in personal injury lawsuits. Essentially, under this doctrine, a party is not allowed to recover damages from an injury if she voluntarily put herself in harm’s way or voluntarily exposed herself to a known danger.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-assumption-of-risk.htm

Idk but would guess there were signs posted near animal enclosures. The mom shouldn't have allowed her child to enter the enclosure. I know moms get distracted and it should not be that easy for a kid to breach a barrier. I read somewhere (sorry no link) that the child crawled under the fence. If it was that easy then maybe the enclosure needs to modified.

I'm glad the child wasn't seriously injured and I'm very sorry Harambe lost his life.

I don't feel they should have to prevent people from getting in. People need to adhere to signs and use common sense of not entering areas with animals. Just as they would in any other public area such as airports, malls, Etc. If the person is unable to read or follow those guidelines due to age or whatever the case may be, then the person responsible for them needs to be making sure they are save and not entering restricted areas.

What would and could have happened differently will never be known. It could have ended badly or the animal could've led the boy to safety without hurting him. But nobody knows that and if they would have done something else and the child was killed, everyone would be blaming the animal. But everyone wants to blame someone whether it be the zoo or parent or structural design instead of just admitting that the child should've been watched for and not left to even have the chance to walk into those areas. If the parent is too occupied by other children or whatever else, they should've brought more help or had the children in a wagon or stroller. Society is turning into a "not my fault" place and a wonderful animal had to pay the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 years without an incident like this proves nothing, except that they were very lucky. The San Francisco Zoo Tiger Exhibit existed for 70 years before one of the cats jumped out of it and killed someone. It was not up to standards, and I seriously doubt the Cincinnati Zoo is up to standards either, or this incident would not have happened.

The San Francisco tiger attack happened after visitors threw things at the tiger.

Tiger that mauled three teens at San Francisco Zoo appears to have been provoked, report says
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unl...-teens-san-francisco-zoo-provoked-report.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu