Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla after child gets into his cage, May 28, 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a picture of the barrier? Was it a fence he climbed over and then he jumped into the exhibit? Was he ok after jumping 15 feet? Did he land on his feet on cement or into water or what?

Excellent idea. It’s being done in many parts of the world.

[video=youtube;I-Pec4GvDwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Pec4GvDwQ[/video]

Lol. You are a great googler. Lol. Thanks. I didn't know they are starting something like this. Thanks. I should have patented the idea. Lol.

I hope this is just written in the heat of the moment, so to speak, and you don't actually think that. Of course a four year old child is more valuable than any animal. Adults, I'll grant you, may be a different matter.
Four year olds are still just babies. They need constant supervision and guidance. This is 100% the parents fault, not the child's fault. If the child is 'uncontrollable' it's the parent's fault, not the child's. I have a 4 year old with special needs who isn't 'uncontrollable'.

I personally hate zoos. Every time I've been to one since becoming an adult they just make me sad. I don't know that they really achieve what they say they are for. Most people leave them at the end of their visit and never think of the animals again. It's just mindless entertainment, I don't think most people use them as a way to really learn anything. The breeding and conservation aspects could be done better out of the public eye and in more natural environments. Animals have intrinsic value, they don't need to be cheap and cheerful entertainment to be worth something.

While I agree with much of your post, please look into animal species that have been saved by breeding programs at zoo's. If the remaining California Condors had not been removed from the wild in 1982 they would be extinct today. There were only 23 left worldwide. They are now again flying free in our sky's. Many species habits are being destroyed. Animals are being killed for their organs and tusks. These breeding programs are a last hope for many species.

I live near a very large zoo. (Arguably, I also live in a small zoo.)

As for whether or not I am "in to them" -- a personal question, and a vague one, but I'll give it a shot.

I like the breeding programs that they have, though I am unsure what they do in the bigger picture, as it's not as if these programs are going to do much to reassert species into ever declining and changing habitats. But hope reigns eternal.

I enjoyed zoos when I was younger, and I'm lucky enough to have been to many of the world's finest.

I've since learned to find them a little bit sad, as they ultimately depend on putting animals into captivity. Most of the time, the captivity is physically safe, but really quite awful, if you look at it from a human perspective. I mean, if someone told you that you were going to be safe from external threats, fed enough to live every day, but stuck in a space that was a quarter the size (or a 10th, or whatever) of a city block for the rest of your live, would you think that was living? Add to it you had a steady stream of other species walking by you and looking at you. Would you feel free? Would you think that seems more like being free, or being in a sort of prison?

It's worth noting that there have been times when humans have been kept in zoos and shown in exhibitions as if zoos for the amusement of enlightened society. Oh yeah, and mental institutions used to be used as if zoos for the wealthy in many countries (see Foucault's "Madness and Civilization").

I know that many people who like zoos consider themselves as animal lovers. But is this captivity the greatest kindness we can show animals? And I don't quite understand why animals are to be enjoyed. They are living beings. We may enjoy them, but I think that they are not on this planet only to be enjoyed by humans.

You mentioned accessibility. Would having a plexiglass barrier that could not be climbed be such a deprivation to access? It would not cost much -- I mean, just speaking from my own experience, but I've never met a 4 year old ninja. Or is part of the spectacle the risk of being so close to something so dangerous? If that's the case, then I think that in the zoo experience, spectacle is trumping the love of animals.

As I've said before, if they can design zoo spaces to keep 400 pound gorillas in, they can keep 4 year old humans out.

we have plexiglass barriers at our gorilla habitat at the San Diego Zoo and we also have them at the San Diego Wild animal Park. They work wonderfully.

While I agree with much of your post, please look into animal species that have been saved by breeding programs at zoo's. If the remaining California Condors had not been removed from the wild in 1982 they would be extinct today. There were only 23 left worldwide. They are now again flying free in our sky's. Many species habits are being destroyed. Animals are being killed for their organs and tusks. These breeding programs are a last hope for many species.
s

Sure, but you can do that without putting the animals in a zoo.

Likewise, they did not kill two of the three gorillas in this incident. Obviously killing the gorilla was the last resort.

The zoo should sue mom first. To stop her from suing them. Every zoo I have been to has signs plus warnings when entering the zoo. Now the zoo should sue as a reminder to others to watch your kids.

We watch the animals. So watch your kids. Geez. It seems like the public is dumbing down in the 2000s. Jmo.

If ^ mall escalator was blocked, leaving parents & kids standing gathered behind ^ glass barrier and
looking at three active western lowland gorillas w water feature or other wild animals,
does anyone think ^ 'obstacle' would physically prevent the Cincinnati 4 y/o kid or other kids from dropping to lower level? IDK.

IOW, would kid-entering-gorilla-habitat have been "impossible to happen at any responsibly designed mall"? IDK. Anyone? Thx in adv.

I’m not sure I understand the escalator part of your question.

There is no doubt in my mind that a glass barrier would have been able to prevent this incident in Cincinnati, in addition to improving the view of the exhibit. But these cheap *advertiser censored* zoos won’t even spend a very small amount of money like that on safety, to prevent something like this from happening. They just don’t care. Well, now they will, but it takes something like this to make it happen.

I agree with some of the Zoo programs. It pains me to think of what we as Parents did with our Children for entertainment when they were young. Came to realize a bit later in life they needed to be in their own environment etc. We stopped going to a Circus, swimming with Dolphins etc. on Vacation. At 59 I feel terrible when I have to sweep an ant hill off the patio. My Grand doggy has her first ear infection and wont see the Vet til early a.m. I am stressed until she gets treated. Pains me to see an animal suffer or be killed needlessly.

I have to agree with this. But now the Cincinatti Zoo will have to rethink it's enclosures and a gorilla had to die needlessly because noone prevented that child from getting in. It makes me so mad!!! I put the full blame on his parents.

Agreed. They should now taze kids that get close to the barrier while disobeying mommy. Lol.

Btw. Let's be honest. I really think that at least some people watched this child from step 1 to the jump and didn't say anything.

I use to sit near by and watch my kids as well as other kids that I didn't know. But if I seen their kids was doing something dangerous. I would tell them to get your dag kid or I would tell the kid myself to get over to your mom.

But these days. Grown adults just whip out phones and record the entire thing since they know what's about to take place. They first smirk and then start recording and then they act concern once things get out of hand. But they never drop that phone from filming.

The world is going crazy. Jmo

s

Sure, but you can do that without putting the animals in a zoo.

Agreed, but unfortunately, and even with the large proportion of people who consider themselves to be animal lovers, breeding programs appear to be a fairly low priority/choice for charitable or government funds.

All the zookeepers had to do was walk into the enclosure and bring some extra food with them , take the child and leave. Simple.

MOO

RSBM

Ok... you go first. I'll be right behind you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Agreed. They should now taze kids that get close to the barrier while disobeying mommy. Lol.

Btw. Let's be honest. I really think that at least some people watched this child from step 1 to the jump and didn't say anything.

I use to sit near by and watch my kids as well as other kids that I didn't know. But if I seen their kids was doing something dangerous. I would tell them to get your dag kid or I would tell the kid myself to get over to your mom.

But these days. Grown adults just whip out phones and record the entire thing since they know what's about to take place. They first smirk and then start recording and then they act concern once things get out of hand. But they never drop that phone from filming.

The world is going crazy. Jmo
SABBM

I find your post somewhat chilling ; but agree nonetheless.
What if the parent in charge filmed this and was already planning a lawsuit and eventual payout ?
Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.
MOO

I agree with some of the Zoo programs. It pains me to think of what we as Parents did with our Children for entertainment when they were young. Came to realize a bit later in life they needed to be in their own environment etc. We stopped going to a Circus, swimming with Dolphins etc. on Vacation. At 59 I feel terrible when I have to sweep an ant hill off the patio. My Grand doggy has her first ear infection and wont see the Vet til early a.m. I am stressed until she gets treated. Pains me to see an animal suffer or be killed needlessly.

RSBM

Hope your grand dog feels better asap !

Lol. Imagine being a animal activist during the times of the Roman Empire where they brought animals on ships to fight in the Colloseum where most died there or died on the way there during the 2 month sea ride to Rome.

But seriously. More animals would be in danger without zoo's. So let's honor them.

But you are right. I hate to see a tiger that can roam 1000s of miles to be enclosed to a 2000sqft enclosure for the sake of us saying. Wow look at the tiger.

Lol. You are a great googler. Lol. Thanks. I didn't know they are starting something like this. Thanks. I should have patented the idea. Lol.

Actually I only Googled it to find the video to post. I have seen stations like that in Japan years ago. There they are known as suicide barriers. The railroads don’t really care much about the safety of their passengers falling into the path of a train, but in some spots suicides cause major disruptions, and affect the reliability of the rail service, so those stations get suicide barriers.

For the life of me I can’t understand why they are not standard in all major rail stations. Not only to prevent people from getting hit by the train, but just too keep people from being injured from falling off the edge of the platform.

I don't think I really agree with the people saying zoos should be designed to keep 4 year olds/kids/people out of the habitats since they're designed to keep the animals in. It's not a playground where people should be running and climbing freely. There are barriers and signs. You can't stop the world from being stupid and not reading them or obeying them. If that was really an issue, people would be "falling " in exhibits all the time.

When we were younger and went places, whether it was an amusement park or zoo, we had to stay in the stroller or wagon. Our parents watched us and we were immediately moved away or taken away from an area if we didn't follow that. I don't understand the people saying "oh you must not have kids bc 4 year olds are super kids and run away fast and sometimes within seconds". I don't think it took "seconds" for a kid to climb through several barriers. I would imagine it had to have taken some work. Also the mom said he kept making comments about entering the water. Wouldn't that make you move away or back away or pick up the child? Not turn your back or whatever she was doing to not see her child disappear into an area to fall into a moat. I guess I don't understand why a child that small was allowed to be walking freely so close to an area like this.

Off topic kind of but ....We were camping this weekend and I spent some time at the campground pool. I was "amazed" but not surprised at the amount of children running freely around the pool or in the pool with no adults around. There were many adults on their chairs laying down, talking , on their phones, etc.. A couple moms by me would sit and talk and then yell at their kids from across the pool to stop running or pushing each other. It was only after yelling for 2-3 minutes that she got up and walked to the other pool, which was a good distance away. By then the kid could have fell in and hit their head or worse. As a teacher I also experience that aspect of it and cringe watching and listening to some of the stuff take place that I do.

It's not the zoo's job to watch children and keep them out of areas they shouldn't be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the kid certainly got in over the fence and into the enclosure. I am sure they could have gotten somebody in there on ladder or something like that.

RSBM

Pretty sure a ladder would've worked.
It seems they (zoo staff) should have tried to distract the gorilla--and not just shoot it right away ? And what if they'd shot the child by accident ?

Then again perhaps not. Trying to think of possible options to having to shoot a magnificent animal. :(
We are losing some of Earth's precious animals and that's tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat