Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one have access to the re-enactment of CG disappearance? Apparently Perth expat Kate Cebrano was in it.

I was thinking this case over last night when suddenly realised something. The Karrakatta rape victim reported that her assailant was driving a panel van. I kind of brushed over this before I realised that this is not a common type of vehicle to be driving. I have linked to the wiki page that shows pictures of these vehicles. As you can see they are distinct from any other type of car or ute. In addition, by the mid 1990's they were not being made anymore and were not popular cars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panel_van_(Australia)

In 1995 I had a boyfriend with a panel van. He also had a friend with a panel van. The wiki articles says this: 'Younger drivers were especially attracted to panel vans, for reasons such as the ease with which a mattress could be installed within the cargo bay. Consequently, panel vans also attracted nicknames such as "sin bins," "shaggin' wagons," "mobile virgin conversion units", "screw canoes," "Scooby-Doo mobiles" (after the Mystery Machine of the Hanna-Barbera animated cartoons), and "**** trucks". This kind of activity was frequently carried out at the local drive-in theatre. During the 1970s it also became fashionable to decorate the exterior sides with murals, often painted with intricate detail. Along with the Volkswagen Kombi, panel vans were very popular with surfers (or wanna-be's), as it was convenient to sleep in the cargo bay during surfing "safaris", as well as carry boards and other equipment.'

'Australian police forces also purchased fleets of panel vans to use in a black maria, or paddywagon, role. These were known formally as Divisional Vans and in slang as Divvy Vans. Painters, electricians, and general labourers also found panel vans ideal for their trades, as the cargo bay offering extended capacity otherwise wasted in passenger space, and a highly customisable interior, without the bulk or extended dimensions of other longer-base vans.'

My boyfriend and his friend had them for the same reasons. They both had mattresses in the back which made it easy to go for impromptu fishing/camping trips. Both of these men were in their early 20s. Even at that time their vehicles stuck out. People noticed them and commented on them. Since that time I have never know anyone who owned one and I can't remember the last time I saw one driving on the street.

Another notable feature of these vans is that there are only two (or perhaps three) front seats and direct interior access to the van part. You could simply crawl through.

So the upshot of all this is:
- By the 1990s these vehicles were not popular
- The people they remained popular with where the same demographic they had always services, a young, male driver, perhaps with a trade or a police officer
- Surely if police checked all panel vans registered in that year in WA they would have a good (not extensive) list of people to interview?

I had a mate who had one in 1990-ish and they were rare and well out of fashion by that time.

I'm confused about conflicting articles. Most say the victim didn't see anything but an early article says 183cm, brown shoulder length hair, medium to solid build and a light colour PV (Panel Van for anyone not familiar with Aussie language).

So which one is it? Is the first article wrong? Or did police decide to say as little as possible because they wanted this information in house? Or did the media out of empathy suppress the details?

So. Much. New. Information.

Thanks y'all! I just scanned through, now I need to piece it together with the other details and a question I've been thinking about re: MM and a possible blitz attack.

Real quick--what's a 'bob' haircut in Australia? Here it's a girl hair cut.

The Post has published two articles this year on the CSK, both by the same author.

The first article stated that they were doing familial DNA testing

The second article stated that their was forensic evidence linking a rape in 1995 with the last Claremont victim - this evidence was uncovered six years ago.

Does anyone have any theories as to why the info was published in this order and not the reverse? Or why it wasn't all just published back in May?

My jaded self says in order to keep the story going and sell more papers.

Otherwise it could be a pressure tactic, to remind the perp that work is on-going.

Probably a bit of both.

Thanks y'all! I just scanned through, now I need to piece it together with the other details and a question I've been thinking about re: MM and a possible blitz attack.

It's a girls haircut here too. Put this into google images and take your pick:

men's bob haircut

Could mean almost anything but early 90s in Perth there were some shocking haircuts getting about and the guy we are talking about might have kept his haircut into the mid 90s. Some examples;

gc5486125795440237198.jpghudson.jpg

My understanding of bobbed hairstyle is normally straight across the forehead fringe, straight across the back almost like a basin cut but length of longer hairs is all one length. Please someone correct me if you believe I am wrong in my description.

My jaded self says in order to keep the story going and sell more papers.

Otherwise it could be a pressure tactic, to remind the perp that work is on-going.

Probably a bit of both.
I don't think so (re selling papers). This is a police strategy. Police have devised a strategy and told the media what message they want broadcast. How accurate the message is and what their play is is anyone's guess.

Some have speculated it could be part of a ploy to delay or prevent a coronial inquest but I strongly believe this is designed at catching the CSK.

Great find. I don't see any point in the police not releasing this video. I wonder if it's got a face shot? I wonder if it's MM?

I wonder the same thing and I would think that many readers would be doing so too.

I don't think so (re selling papers). This is a police strategy. Police have devised a strategy and told the media what message they want broadcast. How accurate the message is and what their play is is anyone's guess.

Some have speculated it could be part of a ploy to delay or prevent a coronial inquest but I strongly believe this is designed at catching the CSK.

to go to inquest the police would need to put all their cards on the table and keep poker faces; do you think they would be capable of doing that? All inquests are open to the public and all coroners reports after inquest are public documents so all witnesses and persons of interest would be out there for all to see and know. I personally don't believe the police area ready for this step'

If this is the case then the reenactment of SS leaving Club Bay View on CIA doco is totally incorrect.

The only thing that is different in the CIA documentary vs the bloggers description is in the CIA doc they did not show any other 'patrons' leaving. Not unusual in my view because the whole point of the documentary was about the three girls; Sarah, Jane and Ciara. The computer that information is stored on is at a different location which I may be at on Friday this week so will be able to post the woman's description that I initially referred to.

...Here we have very similar descriptions of a man offering lifts. The taxi driver Steve's description of a handsome well dressed man with blonde hair who forced the women he believed to be Sarah Spiers out of his car.View attachment 83124

papertrail- Thank you for taking the time to post these articles. I am unable to access the above attachment (tried using different devices, apps, browsers). Could you please repost when you have a chance?

The Post has published two articles this year on the CSK, both by the same author.

The first article stated that they were doing familial DNA testing

The second article stated that their was forensic evidence linking a rape in 1995 with the last Claremont victim - this evidence was uncovered six years ago.

Does anyone have any theories as to why the info was published in this order and not the reverse? Or why it wasn't all just published back in May?

Another newspaper reported that a man with surname Dobson who is now a solicitor based in Western Australia and a former Macro squad member is attributed to feeding the information to the Post re the Karrakatta rape victim link to Ciara Glennon. I would say that Mr Christian is applying all the pressure he is able to given their is a massive upheaval occuring within West Australian police at present. Lots of high ranking officers on the move. I see Mr Stanbury's linkedin profile now states "forensic co-ordinator at WA Police" which might indicate he still has his finger well and truly on the pulse if you know what I mean; even more so than during his time with Macro.

The press release regarding the Karrakatta rape victim are quoting 'forensic link or evidence' so this really could mean anything but I don't consider it means DNA. It could be degraded human hair which does not contain DNA, pet hair, carpet fibres, plant fibres, clothing fibres, vehicle paint chip literally anything.

papertrail- Thank you for taking the time to post these articles. I am unable to access the above attachment (tried duding different devices, apps, browsers). Could you please repost When you have a chance?
Attachment 83124 won't open for me either. I'm getting Invalid Attachment specified.

Thank you papertrail for these articles!.

I had a mate who had one in 1990-ish and they were rare and well out of fashion by that time.

I'm confused about conflicting articles. Most say the victim didn't see anything but an early article says 183cm, brown shoulder length hair, medium to solid build and a light colour PV (Panel Van for anyone not familiar with Aussie language).

So which one is it? Is the first article wrong? Or did police decide to say as little as possible because they wanted this information in house? Or did the media out of empathy suppress the details?

Most of these panelvans were also favoured by surfers too as my son-in-law had a Sandman. I imagine that a light coloured panelvan, when viewed at a distance at night time and with the awful street lighting that was about in 1996, may have been mistaken for a station wagon?? Panelvans used to have 2 windows at each side of the back section, with 2 doors at the rear and each door also had a window. It was common to have these windows curtained for privacy. My son-in-law was living in America from 1994 to 2001 just thought I had better mention that. The police might not have been able to locate this particular panelvan because it may have been unregistered quite a common occurrence with surfer types.

papertrail- Thank you for taking the time to post these articles. I am unable to access the above attachment (tried using different devices, apps, browsers). Could you please repost when you have a chance?

Sorry about that let's see if this works. I'd be very interested to read what your thoughts are Sutton and thankyou for your appreciation.

Attachments

• Blonde man various witnesses.pdf
    337.7 KB · Views: 75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics