Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On Feb 4th, 2010 the McStay Family, Joey, Summer, Gianni, and Joseph Jr vanished from their home. It looked like the family simply got up and left their home never to return.

Law Enforcement was convinced that the McStay family ran away to Mexico.

Patrick McStay, Joey's father, along with other loved ones knew there was no way Joey and his family would never flee to Mexico. There was no reason for this scenario presented by law enforcement.

Up until the remains of the family were found buried in the desert on November 11, 2013, Patrick McStay searched for his son and his family.

Family friend Chase Merritt was arrested for the McStay family murders on Nov 7th, 2014 and finally, Merritt's first-degree murder trial is underway.

The McStay forum is in our private section. However, we are making the discussion of the trial public.

Link to prior general discussion threads:

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20

Closing Arguments:

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

We are lucky that two members are going to make it possible to know what is going on during the closing arguments.

La2Cabo and Frankie Hellis with work hand in hand to post updates from the courthouse.

eeLa2Cabo will be in the courthouse and sending messages to Frankie Hellis who will then post the information.

Thank you both for helping Websleuths members and visitors have a better understanding of the is really going on in court.

What we will do is start a new thread tomorrow for closing arguments and go from there.

What do you think?

Will we get a guilty verdict? If so how fast?

Or will it be an aqquital? If so how fast?

Tuesday, May 28th:
*Trial continues (Day 56) (@ 9am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. 7 women & 4 men & 1 ? (alternates include 4 men & 2 women-minus one).
Trial Days (1-55: 1/7/19 thru 5/23/19) reference post #32 here:
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #20

5/28/19 Day 56: Closing Arguments!!! Finally!!
Tentative Schedule for week of May 27th thru May 31st: NO court-Memorial Day Holiday: May 27th (Monday). May 28th (Tuesday)-Closing Arguments, May 29th (Wednesday)-Jury deliberates, May 30th (Thursday)-Jury deliberates or Verdict? Dark on May 31st (Friday).

@Tricia - when you make a new thread - could you please move this over there? TIA! :)

just an edited version of my basic list against Merritt:
  • Had a history of gambling money away & couldn’t pay rent
  • Owed Joseph thousands of dollars
  • Joseph was considering other subcontractors/welders to do the work
  • Did not like Summer
  • No concrete alibi
  • Truck consistent with his seen leaving McStay home
  • Wrote checks to himself, forged Joseph’s signature, backdated, cashed and deleted records {after disappearance}
  • Posed as Joseph & contacted Quickbooks & ordered desktop version
  • 2nd contact tried to have QB account deleted
  • Income increased enormously in that timeframe
  • Familiarity with high desert area
  • Cell phone pinged at gravesite
  • Tire tracks at gravesite consistent with his truck
  • Lied to investigators
  • DNA is on the steering wheel & gear shift of the Trooper
  • Cell phone is either in airplane mode or turned off during key periods of the disappearance
  • Researched search warrants, new identity, etc
  • Tried to elude police monitoring of jail calls & tried to coach Jarvis on testimony

Last edited:
When did the jury start deliberating and how many hours thus far? TIA
they were in the jury room for about 4 1/2 hrs but when they were sent there the Judge told them it would take a while for all the evidence exhibits and juror instructions to be brought to them. And I feel certain lunch took up a portion of their time.

Update!

Friday, May 31st:
*Trial continues-Dark Fridays (@ 9am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. 7 women & 2 men & 1 + 1 gender unknown + 1? (alternates include 3 men & 2 women-minus one; 5/28: Juror #9 (man) being let go due to illness; alternates left 3).
Trial Days (1-55: 1/7/19 thru 5/23/19) reference post #32 here:
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #20

5/28/19 Day 56: Judge Michael A. Smith is letting them know that Juror #9 is being replaced with an alternate. He is also giving them additional photos of Merritt's work truck they have viewed in person. Judge gave juror instructions. Judge Smith tells jurors they will consider either 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder or not guilty in the deaths of the McStay family. Supervising Deputy District Attorney Britt Imes gave final argument. Defense closing argument from James McGee. Court adjourned until 9am PDT tomorrow morning, 5/29. James McGee will continue with is closing argument. Jury will not be deliberating on this Friday, although they will be for succeeding Fridays, depending on the length of deliberations.

5/29/19 Day 57: Defense attorney James McGee finishes his closing arguments. With jury out of court, prosecutor accuses defense of misconduct and violating rules of professional conduct. Why? During closing, defense asked why prosecutor didn’t call a McStay business partner, (DK) in violation of judge order. Judge telling jury to disregard comment about Dan K, by Mr McGee during his closing. Defense attorney Rajan Maline continued with closing arguments. Deputy DA Melissa Rodriguez began rebuttal. Prosecution rebuttal will resume Thursday 5/30 at 9am.
5/30/19 Day 58: Deputy DA Melissa Rodriguez finishes rebuttal. Judge gives more jury instructions. Juror #5 dismissed, alternate in place. Jury has now started deliberations – and deliberated for about 4 ½ hours. Will continue on Monday, 6/3.
Tentative Schedule for week of May 27th thru May 31st: NO court-Memorial Day Holiday: May 27th (Monday). May 28th (Tuesday)-Closing Arguments, May 29th (Wednesday)-Defense continues closing; Jury deliberates, May 30th (Thursday)-DA rebuttal & Jury deliberates. Dark on May 31st (Friday).
Tentative Schedule for week of June 3rd thru June 7th: Court in session all week for Jury deliberations…..

Last edited:
Today I don't care to argue trial tactics or evidence.
I am just crushingly sad. :(

Lil' Joey - Summer's little mini me.
Gianni - Joey's little mini me.

Lil' Joey only got to be 3 for a few days.
He never got to have his birthday party.

Gianni would have been 5 that year.
That's a big birthday for a little guy.
Plus when you are a July baby you get fireworks for your birthday too.
He never even got to turn 5.

I have a 3 year old, he'll be 4 in July. Very cool dude with long hair, only wavy not curly. It gives me nightmares to think about what Summer may have gone through trying to protect her baby boys.

No matter what the verdict is, nothing can ever bring this family back. That's the horrible reality of this case. We will never know what they may have done with their lives and how they might have changed the world. :(

125hs1i.jpg

25s4y39.jpg

2z7ekc6.jpg

1r2oth.jpg

34xgsb5.jpg

KPBS San Diego Public Radio & TV: News, Arts & Culture

PEOPLE.com | Celebrity News, Exclusives, Photos, and Videos

Joseph Mateo Martelli “Joey” McStay (1969-2010) -...

Cabo: So glad to hear your opinion on MR connecting with the jury! Such a relief. I'm sure you have a more accurate take on it, being there in person.
MR was really connected with them. She was in her zone and the way she carried herself, things she said, seemed to indicate they were very receptive. She had them. She was outstanding. The only thing missing was the mic drop.

Cabo: So glad to hear your opinion on MR connecting with the jury! Such a relief. I'm sure you have a more accurate take on it, being there in person.

OT: I'm baaack!

It has been the longest days being completely cutoff from posting with all of you. I want to give a big shout out of deepest appreciation to Tricia, and her dedicated staff/Mods for working tirelessly in order to fix the glitch, I've had making me unable to post! Also I want to thank so many of you who have tried to help me in every way you possibly could as well. You all know who you are! Hugs to you all.

Now!

Since I could read all of your post thank goodness, I admit I was surprised when I read your post about MR!

I watched every minute of her closing argument. I was riveted the entire time how well she dismantled the DTs blah, blah, blahs. It didn't take her long to unwind or unpack it all either. I was glued to every single word she told the jury. Imo, she came across as forthright, honest, and very trustworthy.

Imo, she handled it very well by reminding the jurors this case isn't about the lawyers. It totally showed how trite, and immature the DTs behavior was during their closing where many times they made it more about THEMSELVES than the murder trial itself. There was no reason for Melissa to discuss it any further. The jurors knew exactly what she was saying.

I wasn't there in the courtroom of course, but I have watched more trial closings by prosecutors, and defense attorneys than I can even begin to remember now. I have no reason to think MR didn't have the full attention of all of the jurors.

Imo, she came across very well, and totally prepared. She presented it all in a succinct fashion... easy for all of the jurors to understand as she laid out all the true CE facts in the case one by one.

I believe MR has a very bright future as a prosecutor. She has the ability to connect, and show who the case is really about.

IMHO

MR was really connected with them. She was in her zone and the way she carried herself, things she said, seemed to indicate they were very receptive. She had them. She was outstanding. The only thing missing was the mic drop.
I really believe she is great, but that's coming from a person who has Juan Martinez prosecuting the worst of the worst here in Arizona. He's definitely an "acquired taste" for many who first watch him in trial, but for me it was that runner who ended up in the DA's office.
Maybe she didn't appeal to some because she is a woman? Gender bias has reared it's ugly head once again in our society.
I totally agree with you, Force10.

I laughed when the judge fumbled and said "the other child". This trial was super long. It's been a long trial for him as well. I just hope the jury doesn't want to render a verdict based on being too burnt out to go onto the sentencing phase.

Is there an aggravation phase in California?

OT: I'm baaack!

It has been the longest days being completely cutoff from posting with all of you. I want to give a big shout out of deepest appreciation to Tricia, and her dedicated staff/Mods for working tirelessly in order to fix the glitch, I've had making me unable to post! Also I want to thank so many of you who have tried to help me in every way you possibly could as well. You all know who you are! Hugs to you all.

Now!

Since I could read all of your post thank goodness, I admit I was surprised when I read your post about MR!

I watched every minute of her closing argument. I was riveted the entire time how well she dismantled the DTs blah, blah, blahs. It didn't take her long to unwind or unpack it all either. I was glued to every single word she told the jury. Imo, she came across as forthright, honest, and very trustworthy.

Imo, she handled it very well by reminding the jurors this case isn't about the lawyers. It totally showed how trite, and immature the DTs behavior was during their closing where many times they made it more about THEMSELVES than the murder trial itself. There was no reason for Melissa to discuss it any further. The jurors knew exactly what she was saying.

I wasn't there in the courtroom of course, but I have watched more trial closings by prosecutors, and defense attorneys than I can even begin to remember now. I have no reason to think MR didn't have the full attention of all of the jurors.

Imo, she came across very well, and totally prepared. She presented it all in a succinct fashion... easy for all of the jurors to understand as she laid out all the true CE facts in the case one by one.

I believe MR has a very bright future as a prosecutor. She has the ability to connect, and show who the case is really about.

IMHO

Agreed, Oceanblueeyes!

I really appreciated how she brought up Occam's Razor and I would imagine that would resonate with the jurors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980