VERDICT WATCH Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, loved how McGee tried to say that after Chase called Qbooks to cancel, he then called Joey, to tell him about the call, and that everything was good. lmao---his boss was missing, and he makes that call to talk about A Qbooks transaction, as if it was a routine call? Sure thing, McGee.

Sounds real believable.

It's too bad he didn't call Joey constantly, like he had before he gone missing. He would have seemed more believable. He made himself a suspect by doing things out of the ordinary. And he would have got away with it, if it hadn't been for those pesky unaligned cheques.

One day, (in my dreams) I am going to make a doco about the murderer as noob show runner, writing a murder mystery with his/her life on the line.

My theory is that the inexperienced noobs focus heavily on B-Grade writing techniques like exposition, because they think that is how TV works.

Experienced writers know that dialogue is king - but this is the hardest thing to write. Real life has natural and convincing dialogue. People also have emotions. There is no foreshadowing. People's emotions and actions are character centric - not weaved around a central narrative.

Our noob show runner frequently forgets to script any dialogue for main characters including himself.

Notice how Joey gets no lines in his final half day in the film? Notice how Chase doesn't leave any sequence of recorded messages for Joe?

"hey mate, hit me back when you get this"
"yo, its 11am, I guess you are tied up but i need to talk to you about Mitchell"
"hey I'm knocking off. I went ahead and started in on .. lets talk soon"
"haven't heard from you yesterday - is everything ok?"
"Joe - if you get this I am on my way over"

Similarly, if you are an experienced actor, you place yourself in your role. I can't get hold of Joe. What do I do now?

The noob showrunner usually forgets about his own role as an actor, and instead runs around advancing the plot and directing the other characters on stage.

I agree. And when I heard McGee enthusiastically jump up saying he wanted to go in 5 minutes, I thought OH OH---here comes a strong rebuttal, here we go.

But it was very weak, imo, at least the way he began. He seemed very arrogant and snide, and made a lot of accusations, out and out calling Imes a liar. That one line, where he said ' I look you straight in the eyes, don't turn my back so I can lie to you unlike the prosecution'----very snide and slick.

It was also very slick how he made a big deal about FACTS FACTS FACTS, not hatred and sympathy----then he goes on to making up a whole bunch of speculative scenarios and tried to sell them as FACTS. Like that 'Phone/Events timeline. A bunch of hogwash, made out of whole cloth.

He has no idea what those calls were about. But he tries to say that , it's a fact, every time Chase created a fraudulent check, he called Joey 20 minutes later to tell him about it. He tries to make it a 'pattern' and use it to overlook the stolen cash.

Oh, and that slap talking was not effective, imo. It was annoying. But I hope he continues it because I think the jury will dislike it. lol

He also misrepresented what the DA said. McGee said that the state claims that Chase 'was fired' that day. I never saw it claimed that he was fired. They said they were not even sure if the meeting even took place.

The state's contention was that Chase was close to being fired, and Joey was catching on to the stolen checks. We don't know that he was fired. Maybe he was just confronted, and told that he needed to pay it back by working it off?

But McGee went full on ahead with this false statement that the states entire case falls apart if Chase wasn't 'fired' at lunch time. It made Mcgee look dishonest, imo.

This is why i think credibility is key to the case.

Maybe I am old school, but I was taught to pay close attention to veracity as well as cogency.

Which side better backs its statements with actual facts that check out?

So for example as regards the cheques, alibi, DK - the state has calmly proved its key assertions without wild speculation. Meanwhile the defence has made wild claims which they have not backed up.

So in general i prefer the states version - McGee has been too dishonest and showed himself to be untrustworthy

The prosecution gets one more short closing after the defense is done.

I hope the follow up with the 'fact' that chase told the investigators that Joey gave him those checks on the 4th. Because that conflicts with this phony ' Phone/Events timeline' they keep putting up there.

Chase didn't tell the investigators that he created those checks, but called joey after each one to confer about the checks. He said Joey created them and gave them to him at lunch on the 4th. Liar Liar Pants on Fire.

I think one of the most impressionable parts was Imes talking about this murderer being invited in, knowing the family, the dogs, the house, the children being able to recognize him. I can't find it now, but maybe it's in the part L&C hasn't put up yet.

The prosecution gets one more short closing after the defense is done.

I hope the follow up with the 'fact' that chase told the investigators that Joey gave him those checks on the 4th. Because that conflicts with this phony ' Phone/Events timeline' they keep putting up there.

Chase didn't tell the investigators that he created those checks, but called joey after each one to confer about the checks. He said Joey created them and gave them to him at lunch on the 4th. Liar Liar Pants on Fire.

Exactly.

Linda Kenney Baden (@KenneyBaden) | Twitter
WOW in NJ saying the defense is 'smoke and mirrors' is Unethical- Prosecutorial Misconduct. Any verdict would be reversed. CA needs to up its game here.

Don't you just love her :D

Page 50 of the Prosecutor's Guide, issued by State Bar of California, Prosecutorial Ethics in Closing Argument (linked by MrsPC I believe), states as follows -

The old “defense counsel is throwing up a smoke screen” argument

In People v. Marquez (1992) 1 Cal.4th 553, the court determined that the prosecutor's comment that a “heavy, heavy smokescreen has been laid down [by the defense] to hide the truth from you” constituted a proper argument in response to the defense presented. (Id. at p. 575-576; see also People v. Kennedy (2005) 36 Cal.4th 595, 626-627 [“defense counsel’s ‘idea of blowin’ smoke and roiling up the waters to try to confuse you is you put everybody else on trial’”]; People v. Stitely (2005) 35 Cal.4th 514, 559 [prosecutor’s argument that jurors should view defense “counsel's argument as a ‘legal smoke screen’” was not misconduct]; People v. Frye (1998) 18 Cal.4th 894, 978 [calling defense theory “ludicrous” and “a smoke screen” proper and not attack on defense counsel].)

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/da/Documents/IPG Memos/2017-IPG27.pdf

Linda Kenney Baden (@KenneyBaden) | Twitter
WOW in NJ saying the defense is 'smoke and mirrors' is Unethical- Prosecutorial Misconduct. Any verdict would be reversed. CA needs to up its game here.

Don't you just love her :D

Page 50 of the Prosecutor's Guide, issued by State Bar of California, Prosecutorial Ethics in Closing Argument (linked by MrsPC I believe), states as follows -

The old “defense counsel is throwing up a smoke screen” argument

In People v. Marquez (1992) 1 Cal.4th 553, the court determined that the prosecutor's comment that a “heavy, heavy smokescreen has been laid down [by the defense] to hide the truth from you” constituted a proper argument in response to the defense presented. (Id. at p. 575-576; see also People v. Kennedy (2005) 36 Cal.4th 595, 626-627 [“defense counsel’s ‘idea of blowin’ smoke and roiling up the waters to try to confuse you is you put everybody else on trial’”]; People v. Stitely (2005) 35 Cal.4th 514, 559 [prosecutor’s argument that jurors should view defense “counsel's argument as a ‘legal smoke screen’” was not misconduct]; People v. Frye (1998) 18 Cal.4th 894, 978 [calling defense theory “ludicrous” and “a smoke screen” proper and not attack on defense counsel].)

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/da/Documents/IPG Memos/2017-IPG27.pdf

Ohhh, LKB....ugghhh....one of my least favourite attorneys of all time.

I shudder when she comes into the L and C chat....makes my skin crawl.

Was it possible for such young kids to get up, go downstairs and get themselves water out of the refrigerator at night? 4 years old and 3 years old?

I seriously don't believe that
If you see the photos and layout of the house there was no line of sight from the office where the desk lamp was on (at the back near the window) to the staircase. There was a dividing wall on the staircase. If they'd wanted to leave a light on for the children so they wouldn't fall down the stairs they would have left a light on that would actually light the way, like in the kitchen.

I still think this being a death penalty case will get Chase off.

I believe with my whole heart he is guilty BUT even with what we are privy to I wouldn’t be able to with my conscience send him to death.

It’s a two-part trial: first guilt, and then penalty. If the jury is at all conscientious, the question of the death penalty shouldn’t affect this verdict.

I assume that the jury has had this spelled out to them, somewhere along the line?

(Not meaning to say that you’re not conscientious!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkeybean