VERDICT WATCH Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Jonah been at the trial at all? He is another victim in all of this lest we forget. To have all those years of uncertainty about the disappearance of his father, all the crazy theories that Joey abandoned him and then, for his family to be found in the desert. I’ve often thought about what jonah must be going through over the past 5 months.

My post was in response to this:
I agree with this. Unfortunately, charisma is incredibly important in trials, and I've thought she seemed defensive and not very confident. Also, she gives off a cold vibe and can't imagine her "connecting" with the jury. Trial attorneys should be very aware of this: They go through jury selection with a fine-tooth comb, hoping the find the right background, persona, etc., yet have a non-charismatic lawyer present closing arguments.

I think one can be a fantastic attorney, but the intangibles are so important in jury trials. A bad "vibe" can seriously affect a jury's decision, just as a juror who is overly emotional, unable to sift through garbage vs. evidence, etc. can cause a bad verdict.

Oh I know... I wasn't trying to disagree with you or your opinion, I just wish we had you in there the last couple of days to get a read on them.... or a silly concept like a reporter maybe actually reporting what they see :D :D

I’m quite sure such experiments have been performed, but I totally agree that it is interesting. Think about a room of 25 people. One is for the Steelers and the rest are for the Ravens. That one person is likely going to at the very least be quieter than usual, if not totally quiet. Human nature is that we want to be part of a group, we want to belong and we want to be liked. I am sure this has some effect in a forum such as this. I’m sure there are other factors too, but that will be one of them.

Also, like Mony Mony wrote, the whole birds of a feather thing. Posters who are Chase cheerleaders probably tend to gather on a more pro-Merritt forum.

ahhh this might explain it... If I go see my in-laws, I am the only fan of a certain sports team, but I don't shut up, I wear that sports team gear and proudly cheer my team on, loudly if I have to :D LOL I'm not the quiet type haha

It was reported here that you'd be tweeting from the trial. What happened, why no reporting?

Maybe Cabo was sparing the CM cheerleaders from unfortunate news? Maybe her posts were mysteriously blocked? Maybe green men from mars prevented her from tweeting? Maybe she only tweeted to a certain few?

What does it matter? It is clear you won't believe a word she says. IMO MOO etc etc

I enjoy the challenge, I get quiet board when my opinions are not constantly being challenged. So, I must thank almost everyone here, you know who you are, for indulging my insatiable appetite for debate.

Well at least you're honest about your motive in taking the unpopular view in cases. I think that was apparent, and there are always a few rebels (as you described yourself) on every case. I'm sure you, and a few others, got your kicks over hundreds of posts. As long as posters love debates, you will have an active board. Personally, I found it distracting and time consuming to read through. But obviously posters enjoyed your constant challenge, so my opinion may not be shared by the majority. I respect different opinions, but when they are clearly based on one's need to challenge--you lose credibility with me. I say this with respect, because I think you are an intelligent person, and could be a productive contributor in any case you follow.

Did Chase Merritt murder the McStay family?
This poll will close on Jun 17, 2019 at 7:34 AM.
  1. *
    Guilty
    124 vote(s)
    91.9%

2. Not Guilty
    11 vote(s)
    8.1%
POLL - Did Chase Merritt murder the McStay family?

Did Chase Merritt murder the McStay family?
This poll will close on Jun 17, 2019 at 7:34 AM.
  1. *
    Guilty
    125 vote(s)
    91.9%

2. Not Guilty
    11 vote(s)
    8.1%

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that there isn't a verdict yet. After all, these poor folks on the jury have gone through what feels like an eternity of delays, crazy schedules, and most importantly a very important and serious murder trial together, yet have been unable to discuss any of it - until now. If it were me, I would be dying to just share my thoughts and spend some time debriefing on everything, though of course I'm sure they will focus on their duties. They've been in it for this long, what's another day or two at this point?

When you see a verdict come in in 2 hours, it's because the jurors are in sync. Elect a foreman, take a poll, all agree, do the paperwork, knock on the door with a note you've reached a verdict, judge, lawyers & other interested parties assemble in the courtroom - then the jury emerges with the paperwork. Obviously this jury isn't in sync or maybe there's a hold-out. Maybe they elected a foreman that wants to discuss the evidence (ours did).

When you see a verdict come in in 2 hours, it's because the jurors are in sync. Elect a foreman, take a poll, all agree, do the paperwork, knock on the door with a note you've reached a verdict, judge, lawyers & other interested parties assemble in the courtroom - then the jury emerges with the paperwork. Obviously this jury isn't in sync or maybe there's a hold-out. Maybe they elected a foreman that wants to discuss the evidence (ours did).

Right—they might be generally in sync, but still want to discuss. They also might be in sync, but want to ‘sleep on it.’

All of the jurors appeared close in age (40ish) except for one lady to was a little older. I would bet she's retired and she'll want to discuss everything. Lol

If the jury foreperson polls the jurors, do they have to vote? I wouldn't be able to vote until I sifted through the evidence, even if I already felt a certain way. I don't know how long that would take. And I would be grateful for opposing opinions to challenge me in the jury room because it's such an important decision. Whichever way it goes, I won't be happy, because either way, families have been destroyed. Little children have been murdered. Older children have lost parents. What a heavy burden to be on this jury.

My brother was on a jury for a rape trial. He said that even though they all thought he was guilty, they couldn't find him guilty because they didn't feel the prosecution proved it. Imagine that being on your conscience for life. Imagine being the juror who thinks Merritt is guilty but the state failed to prove it. Then imagine being the only one. I'm glad I'm not in that jury room.

Well at least you're honest about your motive in taking the unpopular view in cases. I think that was apparent, and there are always a few rebels (as you described yourself) on every case. I'm sure you, and a few others, got your kicks over hundreds of posts. As long as posters love debates, you will have an active board. Personally, I found it distracting and time consuming to read through. But obviously posters enjoyed your constant challenge, so my opinion may not be shared by the majority. I respect different opinions, but when they are clearly based on one's need to challenge--you lose credibility with me. I say this with respect, because I think you are an intelligent person, and could be a productive contributor in any case you follow.
bbm

Agree absolutely.

There’s a word for what you’re describing. It has five letters.

Please Wary - don't keep us in suspense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow