GUILTY CO - Bruce, 27, Debra, 26, & Melissa Bennett, 7, murdered, Aurora, 16 Jan 1984 *inmate arrest 2019*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here are some other articles I have about it:

News-Sentinel, The (Fort Wayne, IN)

February 7, 1984
Brutal killings leave another neighborhood in fear's grasp
Author: Dave Haynes of The News-Sentinel
Edition: FINAL
Section: LOCAL NEWS
Page: 00
Index Terms:
MURDER HOMICIDE
Estimated printed pages: 3
Article Text:
The headlines in the Denver newspapers are haunting and familiar:
``Three in family slain; girl clings to life.''
``Police want to question three in deaths.''
The stories report the brutal beating deaths of Bruce, Debra Lynn and Melissa Bennett of Aurora, Colo. The family was bludgeoned to death three weeks ago.
Aurora police have no suspects and few leads in the grisly case which has shaken the Denver suburb's 202,000 residents.
They do have a case study: Details of the Bennett slayings bear striking resemblance to the September beating deaths of three members of the Dan Osborne family in Fort Wayne.
While there is not apparent connection between the two incidents, the similarities are eerie.
Consider these comparisons:
* A mother, father and child were slain, while a younger child was attacked, left for dead, but survived. Dan Osborne, 35, his wife, Jane, 34, and their son Ben, 11, all were killed with a blunt instrument - believed to be a baseball bat. Two-year-old Caroline Osborne also was sexually molested and beaten. She survived and wandered through the house for two days before the bodies of her mother, father and brother were found on the morning of Sept. 19.
A co-workers discovered the bodies when Dan Osborne didn't report for work at The News-Sentinel.
The Bennetts - Bruce, 27: Debra Lynn, 26: and their 7-year-old daughter Melissa, were killed by blows to the head with a blunt instrument, possibly a hammer. Melissa was sexually molested. A younger daughter, 4-year-old Vanessa, was critically injured and is recovering in a Denver hospital. Bruce Bennett's throat also had been cut, possibly with the family's butcher knife, which was found in the snow outside, covered in blood.
The bodies were discovered about 10 a.m. Jan. 16. A relative went to the home when co-workers noticed the parents didn't report to work at a wholesale furniture warehouse.
* Both the Osborne and Bennett slayings occurred in upper-middle class neighborhoods where the families had only resided a short time. The Osbornes moved into their Harrison Hill neighborhood home less than four months before they were slain. The Bennetts moved from another part of Aurora to their new home over Thanksgiving.
* Both neighborhoods had recently begun organizing crime-watch programs. Fort Wayne Police Chief David Riemen was speaking to residents in the Harrison Hill neighborhood Sept. 17, just hours after the Osbornes are believed to have been killed. Aurora Police Public Information Officer Mike Sellman said the neighborhood where the Bennetts died had been organizing a crime-watch when the slayings occurred.
* Other violent crimes in the area were investigated for possible links with the murders. The Osbornes allegedly were murdered by Calvin D. Perry III, who was linked by police to a spree of 15 violent incidents, including several rapes and another murder. Sellman said Aurora police are investigating three other incidents in the Denver area in which people were attacked with hammers, possibly the weapon used against the Bennetts. In a Jan. 10 hammer attack, a woman in the Denver suburb of Lakewood died.
* Reactions by residents and investigative techniques by police were similar. As in Fort Wayne, lock, gun and home security system sales increased. So did the response to police crime prevention efforts. A reward fund has been established for the arrest and conviction of the slayer, and a second fund has been established to defray Vanessa Bennett's medical expenses.
As in Fort Wayne, Aurora police called on the FBI to outline a psychological profile of the slayer. The profile has not been released to the public. A profile was drawn of the Osbornes slayer, although details were released.
Aurora police also have established a information hotline phone number and are considering creating a task force.
Fort Wayne Police Public Information Office Tom Engle said he has discussed the cases with a friend who works for the Greeley, Colo., Police Department, but is not aware of any official contact between Fort Wayne and Aurora police. Greeley is about 50 miles north of Aurora.
Aurora police have little reason to contact Fort Wayne authorities because the day the Bennetts' bodies were discovered Calvin D. Perry III was charged with the murders of the three Osborne family members in Fort Wayne.
The next day - as the murder investigation was in its embryonic stages in Colorado - Perry, 18, was found dead in his cell at the Allen County Jail. Officials have ruled he committed suicide and have closed the file on the Osborne case.
Although 26 police officers have been assigned to the Aurora case, there has been little progress, Sellman said.
Caption:
The body of one of the murdered Bennett family members is removed from their Aurora home Jan. 16. Photo By the Denver Post.PHOTO
Memo:
Clip Files
Copyright (c) 1984 The News-Sentinel
Record Number: 0203130020

This is so odd. I lived in Fort Wayne when these murders occured and was just 4 years old. Before Calvin Perry killed this family, he committed other horrible, horrible crimes. I went to a KinderCare daycare center and there was a little girl in my class named Amy. She was a beautiful little girl with long red hair..she was my buddy. One night while her dad was at work, Calvin Perry broke into their house and attacked Amy and her mom. He was viscious, raping them and beating them both badly. Amy's little sister was asleep in another room when it happened. He also broke into other homes and robbed and raped other people. He was a true monster. I remember the adults talking about it for years afterwards, although I only have very vague memories during the time it was actually happening. And even those might be just from things I've heard since. It's hard to tell.

Calvin Perry was actually given some sort of ridiculous award after he died because the conspiracy theorists blamed the murders on the police, saying that the father was the editor of the newspaper and had some dirt on the mayor. They say Calvin Perry did not commit suicide in jail, but was framed and killed by the police. I don't buy it, but whatever.

Here is the weird thing...this case has haunted me for my entire life. I have periodically researched it online through the years and came across a Topix forum about it awhile back. I signed up for email alerts if someone posts, and I got one the other day. I went to the site and read that Amy's daycare teacher had posted. She would have been my daycare teacher as well.

The reason I am posting all of this here is because I remember my mother saying that she had been convinced of Perry's guilt until she read a little blurb in the newspaper not long afterwards about an almost identical murder happening in Colorado. This case HAS to be the one she was talking about. She said it gave her a little bit of doubt about Perry being responsible for the Fort Wayne murders, and chilled her to the bone to think that whoever did this got away with it and went on to commit the same crime in Colorado.

I was speculating on this case again tonight and a thunderclap hit me. There were attacks on January 4th, the 10th, and the final attack on the Bennett family on the 16th. Six days apart for all of them. In other words, 666. There was also a clear escalation in the attacks culminating in the orgy of rape and murder of the Bennett family on the 16th. Then it all stopped. What was going on in the national news at the time? The supposedly satanic inspired abuse of children at daycares across the country. The McMartin incident was just getting it's groove on back in 1984. There were stories about supposed satanic cults raping and murdering children across the country. All of it turned out to be total garbage, but was the perp in this case inspired by this sort of background noise? I always assumed it was someone with a psychopathic rage who escalated his attacks until the Bennett crime and then even he knew he needed to get out of Dodge quick. I probably sound like a crackpot, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

*Edit* Upon further reflection, this could also account for why the perp just up and disappeared. Someone mentally unwell to believe in this sort of thing could very well have ended up offing themselves shortly after carrying out the crimes.

The Hammer Man

Bennett Family Murders, Donna Dixon, and Patricia Smith Murder in 3 separate attacks with a hammer in Aurora Colorado in 1984

The Denver Post has been persistent in keeping this story in the news after 30 years. An NEW!!! article from today states "The law enforcement source said he believes that through today's social media, the clue might help solve the case." and I immediately thought of Websleuths!

"Aurora woman attacked by serial killer seeks release of withheld clue"
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27440344/aurora-woman-attacked-by-serial-killer-seeks-release

There have been several articles over the years with varying bits of information. Be sure to Google "Bennett family murders"

Some random information...
Buckley air force base is nearby
Stapleton Airport was closer to Denver and one victim was a stewardess
2 murders happened in newly built neighborhoods (another victim was an interior designer?)
One article points out that the murders all happened off Alameda street
Nearby random attacks happened days earlier along the Highline Canal and Alameda Avenue corridor

I think the biggest revelation is that the attacker was African-American. A poster here was a survivor of one of the other attacks at the time and his ex-wife saw the perp. Supposedly he was enormous.

A commenter at the Denver Post blog (all the comments were wiped, unfortunately) mentioned the construction boom in the area at the time.

The killer worked in construction. I'm almost sure of it. They should've looked a lot more closely at the construction companies as well as contractors. Someone had to know this guy due to his enormous size. I think he realized how bad this crime was and skipped town immediately. He's either in prison or dead now.

There's some discrepancies in the reports with regards to the dates of the attacks.

This one says:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27440344/aurora-woman-attacked-by-serial-killer-seeks-release

A connection: Holm, who was 28 at the time and working as a flight attendant, was attacked after pulling into her garage on the evening of Jan. 9, 1984. Her attacker or attackers struck her in the left temple, stripped her clothes off and raped her on the concrete garage floor.

The article makes no reference to the attack of James and Kimberly (see post 42).

While this one says:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2015/01/16/aurora-cat-burglar-slaughters-family-serial-murder-spree/9728/3/

On Jan. 4, 1984, a man snuck into an Aurora home and used a hammer to beat James and Kimberly Haubenschild. James Haubenschild suffered a fractured skull, and his wife had a concussion. Both survived.

On the same day, a man using a hammer attacked flight attendant Donna Dixon in the garage of her Aurora home, leaving her in a coma. Dixon survived.

If it was the same day, the attacks probably happened more than 12 hours apart. Jim wrote that the man attacked them at around 2 am while Dixon was attacked during the evening hours.

If the killer was African-American-wouldn't he have stood out in Aurora? I am black and I have never really heard of Colorado having a high African-American population.

If the killer was African-American-wouldn't he have stood out in Aurora? I am black and I have never really heard of Colorado having a high African-American population.

That's what I'm thinking. I live in a predominantly white city. We notice black people where we wouldn't notice a white person simply because the black population here is low. I think the killer is someone who is STILL going unnoticed in the area.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I was screwing around on Google a few days ago after reading about these terrible murders (I forget exactly what I "Googled"), and I came up with a guy who committed similar crimes in Florida in 1984, for which he is currently on death row for. His name is Duane Eugene Owen. Then I tried to see if he had any ties to Colorado. Indeed he did.

For a time, he lived about 90 minutes from the Bennetts. He's a drifter though, and I can't place him in Colorado in January of 1984. I found something that said he "fled" Michigan in January of 1984 for Florida. Could he have traveled to FL via CO? I know the first hammer attack in CO happened January 4, so he would have had to leave MI real early in January of '84.

Then I came across the July 6, 1984 edition of The Palm Beach Post through Google News Archives, and at the end of an article about him, it said that Colorado authorities were interested in him for the Bennett murders. That kind of floored me, since I didn't know they were ever looking at him. I came up with his name on my own.

Then I found an article in Boca Raton News from September 20, 1991 where Owen claimed to have killed a couple people in Colorado.

I almost want to send an e-mail to the detectives working this case and just ask them if they've compared his DNA to the perp's DNA. You would think they have, but who knows?

Wow!

This is helpful information. I think this guy was a difter and for all we know could have been "The Guy." I think the other hammer attacks were all by the same person. A sicko looking for his 15 minutes of fame during approximate one week or so spans of murdering or attempting to murder innocent people.

What I would like to know is where was the above person in question specifically throughout the month of January, 1984 on the dates of the Colorado attacks? There are some other good questions about the Bennet's murder here:

http://truecrimediva.com/the-1984-bennett-family-murder/

Satch

There's some discrepancies in the reports with regards to the dates of the attacks.

This one says:

The article makes no reference to the attack of James and Kimberly (see post 42).

While this one says:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2015/01/16/aurora-cat-burglar-slaughters-family-serial-murder-spree/9728/3/

If it was the same day, the attacks probably happened more than 12 hours apart. Jim wrote that the man attacked them at around 2 am while Dixon was attacked during the evening hours.

Some publications list Vanessa Bennett's age (the little girl who survived the attack) as four years old and not three.

Satch

Well, there has been a composite "photo" of the perpetrator created from DNA he left at the scene of these murders. The DNA "photo" shows him being caucasian. We had been discussing how one of the victims of these hammer attacks had posted here about the perp being African-American. Not sure what to think about that now.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/25/dna-generated-suspect-composite-1984-bennett-family-slaughter/

Also, if you are familiar with the case of April Tinsley's unsolved murder in Fort Wayne, Indiana back in 1988 (I think), the authorities had the same DNA "photo" created, and based on what that photo looks like, it seems like the same guy who killed her also killed the Bennett family. Either that, or this technology isn't very useful yet. I suspect the latter.

http://www.21alive.com/nbc33/Invest...rings-of-April-Tinsley-killer--377967901.html

Apologies in advance for my post - my brain has been everywhere with this for over 30 years, and the thought stream out of my head may be a bit incoherant...

These virtual (mug)snapshots are interesting... When I saw the one had been generated for the Bennett murders, and he was white - I was really taken aback... I remember one of the victims (Jim Haubenschild) saying his wife Kim, was the only one that had seen the attacker and he was African American, and I could have sworn I read (when they officially linked Patricia Smiths murder with the Bennett's - not sure but I'll try and find the actual article and link it) that the DNA pointed to an african american as well... so if this is true then it raises some questions: (to be clear i'm NOT trying to be antagonistic with these, simply trying to follow an objective, hopefully logical - if this, then that - line of reasoning, to try and keep everything out there on the table...)

1) the eyewitness account was inaccurate (from what I understand, eyewitness accounts are difficult and more often than not, for lack of a better phrase, unreliable) and understandably so, being hit with a hammer, in the middle of the night out of a deep sleep would impair any recollection I would think, and perhaps the attacker wore a mask and gloves making it even more difficult to, while groggy, dazed and confused, in the dark to determine skin color... and weren't gloves found at the Bennett's? I seem to remember they tried to get fingerprints out of them with a laser?)

2) It's possible that the person claiming to be one of the victims, (Jim Haubenschild) actually wasn't, pehraps for misdirection? (Personally I think it actually was Jim, but to be thorough just putting this as a possiblity out there...)

3) Let's assume that both the DNA pointing towards a white man is correct, and the eyewitness account of a 6 foot African American attacker is correct. That would mean that there was more than one attacker. Now - I have NO idea what evidence LE has that makes them believe and rule out the possibility of a second attacker, or if they do in fact think there may be more than one, and have never made that public - but just from what I've read, if there were 2 attackers, I'm wondering if one person was the rage killer, and the other was the rapist? I have more on this below**

4) The DNA Snapshot is inaccurate...

Additionally,

It wasn't until I read this story:

http://www.denverpost.com/2015/02/0...serial-killer-seeks-release-of-withheld-clue/

that I was aware that Donna Dixon had been sexually assaulted as well, and I'm not sure if Kim H. was or not, I've never read that she had been, but just as it stands, that's every female that has been attacked has been sexually assaulted (with the exception of Vanessa, and possibly Kim H.) It has puzzled me that if it was the same attacker for Jim and Kim, what made him stop with completing the murders? Or did he think that he had left them for dead? Was Kim sexually assaulted?

It's also interesting in the article it mentions the possibility that at least Donna Dixon may have had more than one attacker, and in her own words - "It would be nice to close this chapter in my life,” Holm said. “To have people held accountable for what they did.” Not "Someone held accountable" but "People/they"... As someone that would have regular contact with LE regarding her case, perhaps over time, they have discussed the possibility that there was more than one attacker?

And the impression of a name transferred!?!? Wow - that's insane - I mean what type of jobs require or typically have a name on the uniform? Technicians, Auto, construction, community maintainence workers...? Contractor, Vendors?
I understand both points of view regarding releasing this bit of info...From LE perspective, there may be so little to tie a suspect to they don't want to release any info, and on the side of Donna - it's been 32 years and maybe some new info will trigger someones memory?

**Another piece of info recently discovered by googling these events, were regarding how Patricia Smith was found - Posed with her hands across her chest and the hammer lay beside the body:

http://truecrimediva.com/the-1984-bennett-family-murder/

Which for me could explain how the attacks were both at once rageful, and the posing of the body was remorseful? 2 different attitudes by 2 different individuals? I wonder if Debra or Melissa were also posed in a similar fashion? And Vanessa - was the attack on her an attempt to have no possibility of an eyewitness? Was she assaulted as well?

I Used google earth to see the residence that Patricia Smith lived in, because one thing that had bothered me before was that all the attacks in Aurora were due to garage doors being left open, and if Patricia Smith lived in an appartment, that would be a different way of getting to attack her, and how would that have happened. However google earth shows that in that neighborhood, there are garages... Unsure if they are attached and can lead into the residence but I definitely saw garages.

Things that continue to puzzle me:

-At one time I thought the victims were perhaps targeted somehow, either in passing and then stalked for instance. But all (as far as I can tell) access to the victims were thru open, unlocked garages... so the attacker would have had to have been super lucky that whomever he was stalking would just happen to leave the doors open/unlocked... So then I was thinking that these were simply opportunities that he took advantage of?

-Motive - there are clearly rage issues from what I have read regarding the severity at which the victims were beaten, but there's a bit of an inconsistency with Patricia Smith - Of course this could simply be due to the way the articles are written/reported or info given from LE, but I'm actively looking in the articles for words to describe how she was murdered, and the descriptions are pretty tame - they typically use words as "blunt force trauma" - however when describing the Haubenschild, and Bennett Murders, it's words like "Brutal, fractured skulls, smashed..." Perhaps it's just a lack of info regarding specifics - I mean up until the above article about Donna Dixon, it had always read that she was simply attacked in her garage, left for dead and survived after having been in a coma... From reading news stories throughout the years, it always seemed that the main motive was to murder people brutally and that the sexual assaults were an afterthought. But now I'm wondering if the sexual assaults weren't the motive all along - I mean consider the weapon of choice, a Hammer (and knife for Bruce Bennett yes, but I'm wondering if that wasn't simply out of necessity given the fight that Bruce was putting up defending his family?) which in order to be effective you have to be in close proximity? I mean if you simply wanted to murder - suffocation, guns - tons of ways would seem to be more efficient. A Hammer, having to smash the head repeatedly... that just says anger and rage, CONTROL and domination to me... but not necessarily in a personal way towards the victims, since they are (as far as we know) random with no connection to the attacker or each other, but in a general way?

-Why was the focal point, save Patricia, Aurora? Close to home? Familiarity? If they did live by, dwell close whatever, could explain why the attacker(s) seemed to have "evaporated" into thin air without a trace as soon as they exited the Bennett's... What led the attacker(s) to Lakewood? Opportunity again?

-How was it that this person just vanished without anyone noticing anything out of the ordinary? From the description of the attack on Bruce, the person HAD to have been injured in some fashion? Did they go to a hospital to have it treated? Did they have knowledge that would have assisted them in caring and treating their wounds?

-Why did the attacks stop? Too much attention after days of being on the front page? Did they attacker(s) move? Die? Change their MO?

-Have any other attacks, from this set of attacks or others that were seemingly unrelated, locally/nationally, been linked via DNA?

-I have no idea the sequence of events regarding the murder of the Bennett's, but just imagining the commotion, its horrible that no one had a chance to dial 911. Maybe they cut the line or picked up an extension making it difficult/not possible to notify authorities?

-Is this person or do these people, fall into the category of serial killer? Did they take any momentos or was that even important to them?

-Have they tried to gain any notoriety regarding these murders, along the lines of BTK or Zodiac?

-Do the killer or killers ever revisit their crimescenes? Read this blog? Worry about returning memory from any of the surviving victims?

-How is Vanessa now?

-So. Many. Questions.

ok that's a lot - again apologies for it being all over the board. Head hurts but i'll post more as I think of it..

Thanks for that well thought out post rhadini and welcome.

I've always thought that if you could somehow discover the event or the "what" in this guys life that set him off that maybe this would lead to the "who", although that's easier said than done. Whatever the triggering event was it caused him to be of the mindset that no amount of brutality he caused in those 11 days made up for the perceived wrongdoings against him, that is until the Bennett murders.

Maybe it was a divorce or a job termination. The holiday season had just ended and a new year was upon him, maybe the lack of family or the enjoyment the previous few weeks would bring most people didn't happen for him.

The Smith murder seems to be the anomaly in this series of events. Attacked between 1 and 3 in the afternoon and well away from the Aurora locations. It was a few days after the couple that survived were attacked and the first of two that day. There are conflicting reports but I believe Ms. Dixon was attacked later on the same day that Ms. Smith was murdered, perhaps in the evening hours. If he didn't follow Ms. Smith home that afternoon then he had to be very near the location of her apartment when she arrived. I've always thought that because of the differences in her murder that she might have been acquainted with this guy.

I feel the sexual motive was as strong as the motive to kill. If Dixon was attacked on the same day and after Smith it seems he wasn't fulfilled with what he did to Ms. Smith so in his mind another victim was necessary.

I do think he was local and very familiar and comfortable in that area of Aurora. He likely had previous run in's with LE for violent behavior but its entirely possible these were his first and last crimes of this magnitude.

Thanks for that well thought out post rhadini and welcome.

I've always thought that if you could somehow discover the event or the "what" in this guys life that set him off that maybe this would lead to the "who", although that's easier said than done. Whatever the triggering event was it caused him to be of the mindset that no amount of brutality he caused in those 11 days made up for the perceived wrongdoings against him, that is until the Bennett murders.

Maybe it was a divorce or a job termination. The holiday season had just ended and a new year was upon him, maybe the lack of family or the enjoyment the previous few weeks would bring most people didn't happen for him.

The Smith murder seems to be the anomaly in this series of events. Attacked between 1 and 3 in the afternoon and well away from the Aurora locations. It was a few days after the couple that survived were attacked and the first of two that day. There are conflicting reports but I believe Ms. Dixon was attacked later on the same day that Ms. Smith was murdered, perhaps in the evening hours. If he didn't follow Ms. Smith home that afternoon then he had to be very near the location of her apartment when she arrived. I've always thought that because of the differences in her murder that she might have been acquainted with this guy.

I feel the sexual motive was as strong as the motive to kill. If Dixon was attacked on the same day and after Smith it seems he wasn't fulfilled with what he did to Ms. Smith so in his mind another victim was necessary.

I do think he was local and very familiar and comfortable in that area of Aurora. He likely had previous run in's with LE for violent behavior but its entirely possible these were his first and last crimes of this magnitude.

Yeah maybe... It just boggles the mind that he seemingly disappeared into thin air, and has never been caught. That is by no means a knock on LE whatsoever, let me just make that clear. Like you said I think it may just be one little or seemingly little thing to discover that will start the dominoes for his (or their) capture... BTK seemingly controlled himself but was lured back into communicating with police by his own ego... hopefully something will motivate him to stick his neck out...

Speaking of being local, if he is, I wonder if he was ever tempted to go back and attack any of his previous victims, just in case he was worried about eyewitness accounts... I suppose after a year or 2 the likelihood of that seemed small and he just didn't bother... so many unknowns (to me anyway) that just make my mind race with so (too) many what if this, what if that...

I just hope some breakthrough happens soon...

Yeah maybe... It just boggles the mind that he seemingly disappeared into thin air, and has never been caught. That is by no means a knock on LE whatsoever, let me just make that clear. Like you said I think it may just be one little or seemingly little thing to discover that will start the dominoes for his (or their) capture... BTK seemingly controlled himself but was lured back into communicating with police by his own ego... hopefully something will motivate him to stick his neck out...

Speaking of being local, if he is, I wonder if he was ever tempted to go back and attack any of his previous victims, just in case he was worried about eyewitness accounts... I suppose after a year or 2 the likelihood of that seemed small and he just didn't bother... so many unknowns (to me anyway) that just make my mind race with so (too) many what if this, what if that...

I just hope some breakthrough happens soon...

I'm thinking local as in having spent a substantial amount of time in the area. Not necessarily born and raised there but not a transient type either.

Would you happen to know the street names where the Dixon and Jim H crimes happened? From what I gather they're in the general area of the Bennett home, somewhere along Alameda and the highline canal area. Google earths old imagery only goes back to 93 but looking at that there was an open area directly behind the Bennetts and to the east. The subdivision itself looks tightly packed and I suspect it was like that in the early 80's but cant I can't be sure. I'm trying to determine or at least make a guess as to the perp being on foot or otherwise in these Aurora cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky
Back