CO CO - Chad Pallansch, 49, of Ft Collins, attempting 28-mi route from East Inlet Trailhead, Rocky Mountain Natl Park, last contact 27 Sep 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Chad Pallansch, 49, was last heard from around noon on Sept. 27 via text message and reported overdue on Sept. 28, according to officials with the national park.

last updated 9:27 PM, Oct 05, 2023

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK — The search continues for a missing Fort Collins trail runner in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP).
Chad Pallansch, 49, was last heard from around noon on Sept. 27 via text message and reported overdue on Sept. 28, according to officials with the national park. Park rangers located his vehicle at the North Inlet Trailhead on the west side of RMNP. [...]

Anyone who has information about Pallansch's whereabouts is asked to call or text the National Park Service Investigative Services Bureau tip line at 888-653-0009. Tipsters can also make a report online or email nps_isb@nps.gov.

The area of about 5 square miles was made off limits to the public starting at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 5, to minimize scent distractions for dogs being used in the search for Chad Pallansch, said officials at the Colorado park.

An experienced trail runner who is familiar with the park, Pallansch, 49, set out Sept. 27 on what was intended to be a one-day, 28-mile loop out of Grand Lake. The last contact from him was a text message he sent around noon indicating he was almost to the 13,310-foot summit of Mount Alice — his intended high point, and about 10 miles into the loop.
Though much of his route was in remote and even trailless high country, had he made it 17 miles he would have been close to Bear Lake, a popular day trip destination.

I wonder if he’s one of these “ultralight” hikers…no mention of water, food. He couldn’t have been doing a single day trip...he was scheduled to return the following day. Where did he plan to shelter!? Where is the rest of his gear?? Marathon running is very different from experience with climbing and survival. I’d love to hear what @RickshawFan thinks.
I know I’m replying to an old post and a discouraging amount of time has now passed. But I believe this was planned as a one-day run and he was bringing no overnight gear. You state “he was scheduled to return the following day,” but that was when he was reported missing, not when he was expected to return. I believe he was planning to return the same day, but his wife didn’t raise the alarm immediately. Just my opinion based on his reported gear and running history.

The last contact from him was a text message he sent around noon indicating he was almost to the 13,310-foot summit of Mount Alice — his intended high point, and about 10 miles into the loop.
Finally, some solid information. Based on personal experience, cell phone coverage from high elevation or any elevation with an unobstructed view to a repeater can be amazing.

20+ yrs ago I climbed Sunshine Peak (14,007') in the San Juan Mtns, CO. Some guy on the summit was having a "You'll never guess where I am" convo on his cell phone.

But I believe this was planned as a one-day run and he was bringing no overnight gear.
Yes, that was my impression as well.

Map of Rocky Mountain National Park indicating a closure area from Mount Alice, Chiefs Head Peak, to north of McHenry's Peak
While weather including snow, ice and wind at high elevations has hampered on the ground search efforts for Chad Pallansch; ongoing investigations as well as reviewing aerial reconnaissance photographs and preparing for a concentrated ground search effort is taking place. Helicopter flights are occurring today for aerial reconnaissance and to confirm suitable landing zones to insert teams in the field beginning tomorrow. Weather and resources permitting, ground searchers and dog teams will be flown to several locations. To limit scent distractions and assist the effectiveness of the dog teams, a closure is in effect beginning tonight at 6 p.m. from Mount Alice to McHenry’s Peak including Black Lake and Lion Lake 1, Lion Lake 2 and Snowbank Lake (see attached map

Helicopter crews helped Rocky Mountain National Park officials prepare a “concentrated ground search” for a missing long-distance runner on Thursday, October 5, after wintry weather hindered prior on-the-ground efforts, park officials said. Chad Pallansch, an “experienced trail runner” from Fort Collins, Colorado, was last heard from on September 27, while nearing the summit of a mountain in the national park, officials said. Pallansch had planned a 28-mile route and was reported “overdue” on September 28, officials said. Snow, strong wind, and ice impeded rescue crews who were combing the search area, national park officials said on Thursday. Helicopter crews flew on Thursday for “aerial reconnaissance and to confirm suitable landing zones to insert teams in the field beginning tomorrow,” Rocky Mountain National Park said. Rescue personnel have also used teams of dogs and a “heat sensing fixed-wing flight,” officials said. This footage of crews flying over the Rocky Mountains was released by the Rocky Mountain National Park.

OCT 5, 2023
1696645738801.png
An area that rescuers have concentrated on in the search for Chad Pallansch in Colorado.Courtesy Rocky Mountain National Park via Facebook
  • A text on Sept. 27 indicated that Chad Pallansch was almost to the summit of Mount Alice, officials said, and that was the last time he was heard from.
  • Landing zones were being identified where teams could land in the field starting Friday, it said.
OCT 6, 2023
... ongoing investigations as well as reviewing aerial reconnaissance photographs and preparing for a concentrated ground search effort is taking place. Helicopter flights are occurring today for aerial reconnaissance and to confirm suitable landing zones to insert teams in the field beginning tomorrow. Weather and resources permitting, ground searchers and dog teams will be flown to several locations. To limit scent distractions and assist the effectiveness of the dog teams, a closure is in effect beginning tonight at 6 p.m. from Mount Alice to McHenry’s Peak including Black Lake and Lion Lake 1, Lion Lake 2 and Snowbank Lake.

Kudos to the park service for the massive push to find CP before snow shuts down the search. Looks like a little front is pushing through on Wed-Thursday, w/ some chance of snow.

It's extremely dangerous work, though, and I'm sending serious good energy for the well being and safety of the pilots and searchers involved. Big comforting hugs to loved ones and friends who wait for any word on the results of the search.

Found Chad Pallansch! We need a miracle, please! I know it's possible!

The search for Chad Pallansch continued Thursday in Rocky Mountain National Park. The 49-year-old from Fort Collins was reported overdue on Sept. 28.

He was last heard from around noon on Sept. 27. A text was received at the time indicating he was almost to the summit of Mount Alice and roughly miles from the Bear Lake area. Park rangers confirmed his vehicle was still parked at the North Inlet Trailhead on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park.

[...] More at link:

OCTOBER 6, 2023 / 11:14 AM

OCT 8, 2023
Chad Pallansch: Rescuers continue search for Colorado hiker missing in Rocky Mountain National Park | CNN
Rescuers in northern Colorado say they are still searching from the air and on the ground for a 49-year-old man who went missing late last month in Rocky Mountain National Park.

[...]

At least 77 rescuers were involved in aerial and ground search efforts by Saturday, the 10th day of the search, including three dog teams and a state Department of Fire Prevention and Control drone team.

A portion of the park is closed off from Mount Alice to McHenry’s Peak to help limit scent distractions for the dog teams, according to a release Saturday.

[...]

“Aerial reconnaissance via helicopter took place to take additional high-resolution photographs of high elevation ridgeline areas,” the release on Saturday stated.

[...]

Chad Pallansch, 49, was last heard from around noon Sept. 27, saying in a text that he was almost to the 13,315-foot summit of Mount Alice, which is west of Longs Peak. He was reported overdue the next day.
https://t.co/msxHKrxHhZ

3:04 PM MDT on Oct 10, 2023

They have found no evidence of his whereabouts, and the closure has now been lifted, officials said Tuesday. Broad-scale search efforts are being suspended, though patrols will continue to search. [...]

Pallansch is the second person to go missing in Rocky Mountain National Park this year, after Kevin Sypher, an El Paso County sheriff’s deputy, was reported missing May 1. The search for him was suspended May 5.

Large scale search efforts for missing hiker Chad Pallansch suspended in Rocky Mountain National Park https://cbsnews.com/colorado/news/search-efforts-missing-hiker-chad-pallansch-suspended-rocky-mountain-national-park/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Large-scale search efforts for missing hiker Chad Pallansch in Rocky Mountain National Park have been suspended. Over the weekend, several teams including a helicopter, ground searchers, dog teams and a drone team participated in the search for the 49-year-old of Fort Collins.

Pallansch was reported overdue on Sept. 28. [...]

Recent efforts have been focused on areas around Black Lake, Lake Powell, Stone Man Pass, Chiefs Head Peak, McHenry's Peak, Mount Alice, and surrounding ridgeline areas. Search efforts have not provided further clues at this point. Investigations are ongoing and NPS Search and Rescue Team members continue to review aerial photographs and drone footage.

According to RMNP, Pallansch is still considered a missing person and the investigation will continue.

[...]

Additional Information from Rocky Mountain National Park:

If you have information that could help investigators, if you may have seen or know Chad Pallansch, or if you were in the areas listed above on September 27, please contact us. You don't have to tell us who you are, but please tell us what you know. CALL the National Park Service Investigative Services Bureau Tip Line 888-653-0009, ONLINE form go.NPS.gov/SubmitATip or EMAIL nps_isb@nps.gov.

Assisting Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue Team members include Larimer County Search and Rescue (LCSAR), Grand County Search and Rescue (GCSAR), Rocky Mountain Rescue Group (RMR), Front Range Rescue Dogs (FRRD), Colorado Search and Rescue Association (CSAR), aircraft from the State of Colorado Department of Fire Prevention and Control (DFPC), Northern Colorado Interagency Helitack (US Forest Service) and a contracted helicopter with Trans Aero.

It is a vast area, with forbidding terrain and rough weather. It sounds like a lot of resources were deployed. It is disappointing that searchers with dogs, drones and aircraft found nothing. Based on his clothing and lack of equipment, I don’t think he’s alive after this amount of time has elapsed.

Yes, definitely the right call.
The photo in the Colorado Sun tweet shows just how extreme elements of that terrain can be. Spontaneous rock fall, a trip and fall in the wrong spot...

Condolences to his loved ones and friends.

Rocky Mountain National Park officials have suspended broad-scale search efforts for Chad Pallansch, 49, of Fort Collins, who has been missing since Sept. 28.

UPDATED: October 13, 2023 at 9:10 a.m.

[...] The area from Mount Alice to McHenry’s Peak closed for the search is now open, according to the update.

Yes, definitely the right call.
The photo in the Colorado Sun tweet shows just how extreme elements of that terrain can be. Spontaneous rock fall, a trip and fall in the wrong spot...

Condolences to his loved ones and friends.
Extremely difficult and challenging. Not sure if he came prepared - right footwear, etc. imo :(

Thought I'd post this article- sad that CP hasn't been found yet. I know there are many cameras set up in areas in search of watching wildlife... I used to watch a certain fav of mine who would film bear activity, tho, he was right there!

Wildlife enthusiasts love to watch cameras set up in remote parts of Alaska's Katmai National Park. They can see passing animals. And then they saw a hiker who faced a camera and mouthed the words, help me. Park rangers went looking and found the hiker within hours.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back