Found Deceased CO - Dylan Nicholas Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 Nov 2012 *father arrested* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why there needs to be full disclosure about what exactly happened. I recall that following a visitation, he refused to return the boys on time to Betsy, and that she was very distressed over it. She may have even involved law enforcement. Whatever . . . Something happened to force MR to return the sons to her. That testimony needs to be allowed so that the jury can decide for themselves whether or not MR is capable of a heinous murder. It goes to intent and capacity.

I have always maintained that MR hated Elaine more than he loved Dylan. That is how he was able to kill their son.
Do you know why the prosecution didn't present Betsy Horvath's statement about Mark threatening to kill their son's?

Katydid mentioned a court ruling that prevented it. Do you remember a ruling about this?

Once again, I have found another reason I can never commit murder. Too many people in my life have heard me say those exact words. Also, when inspecting friends' new cars, "Oh, you have a 'two-body' trunk. NICE."
I know what you mean - I’m always bragging about having a crawl space if I ever need to hide a body.

Mark Redwine to stand trial in the disappearance of Dylan Redwine | 9news.com

July 1, 2021

The last witness of the day was Brandi Flann, who once worked at Pine Valley Bank, where Mark Redwine had an account. She testified about a joint account belonging to both Dylan and Mark Redwine that was opened on July 31, 2012. She said the card associated with that account was never successfully activated despite multiple attempts in September 2012.

Flann testified that on Jan. 28, 2013, while Dylan Redwine remained missing, nearly the entire balance of the joint account was transferred to an account belonging solely to Mark Redwine. That total transfer was $2,000, which left $0.06 in the joint account. Flann is also expected to return to the stand Friday for cross examination.

[..]

Generally speaking, she testified, suspects will place bodies in locations they're familiar with such as on their own property, a relative's property, or an area they're familiar with through recreation.

France was also asked about the second location, where Dylan's skull was found months later in November 2015. She said she found that surprising because, in her experience, she would have expected the cranium or skull to be downhill from the rest of the remains.

"Gravity and to some extent scavengers, you just expect that elements will end up below where the primary site is," she said.

In this case, it was found up and over a ridge, which she said was "surprising."

France also noted that it is not her role to determine the cause of the manner of Dylan Redwine's death, only the circumstances.

I don't remember a ruling on this. Betsy's statements about hiding a body in the woods is prejudicial and without documentation but it was allowed.

I'll have to see if I can find out more on this. JMO
I don't know why he allowed one statement and not the other, but if you go back to just before Betsy comes in, [and before the jury maybe]---you can hear both attorneys discussing it a little---the defense saying it better stay narrow, and the state promising it is just very brief and tiny in scope...

I don't know why he allowed one statement and not the other, but if you go back to just before Betsy comes in, [and before the jury maybe]---you can hear both attorneys discussing it a little---the defense saying it better stay narrow, and the state promising it is just very brief and tiny in scope...
So it sounds like the judge issued a pretrial ruling that favored the defense on what Betsy could testify about.

Does that mean the judge made a mistake?

MR's former wife BH testimony about MR consistent with what she said during 2017 interview with ABC linked below.

Grim details revealed as father is charged with murdering his 13-year-old son

July 23, 2017

A previous wife of Mark Redwine's, Betsy Horvath, told investigators shortly after Dylan's disappearance that she was concerned Redwine might have hurt the boy. She said that during her and Redwine's own divorce and custody proceedings over their children he told her he would "kill the kids before he let her have them."

Horvath's account was referring to her children with Redwine, not to his children with his later wife, Elaine.

Horvath also told investigators that Redwine once told her that if he ever had to dispose of a body, he would leave it "out in the mountains," the indictment said.

At the time Dylan went missing, Redwine and his more recent wife, Elaine, were in the middle of a heated custody battle, the indictment states.

[..]

Betsy Horvath told ABC affiliate KMGH-TV that her heart breaks for Dylan's mom, Elaine, and Dylan's brother.

"They've suffered a tremendous loss," she said.

So it sounds like the judge issued a pretrial ruling that favored the defense on what Betsy could testify about.

Does that mean the judge made a mistake?
I don't know if it was a mistake. He seems to know his law pretty well. He takes decisive actions in court. Maybe it was legally justified to admit the statement about 'where he would hide a body' because the body was found as he had described.

But further statements, like him threatening to kill her sons would not be admissible because as you pointed out, he didn't kill her sons. So maybe that is too prejudicial?

In other words, he is on trial for allegedly killing his youngest son and leaving him on a remote hiking trail. So that statement about where he would hide a body is fitting.

But he is not on trial for killing his older sons so that statement would not be admissible?

I don't know if it was a mistake. He seems to know his law pretty well. He takes decisive actions in court. Maybe it was legally justified to admit the statement about 'where he would hide a body' because the body was found as he had described.

But further statements, like him threatening to kill her sons would not be admissible because as you pointed out, he didn't kill her sons. So maybe that is too prejudicial?

In other words, he is on trial for allegedly killing his youngest son and leaving him on a remote hiking trail. So that statement about where he would hide a body is fitting.

But he is not on trial for killing his older sons so that statement would not be admissible?
Thank you. What you say makes total sense.

Friday, July 2nd:
*Trial continues (Day 10) (@ 8am MT) - CO - Dylan Nicholas Redwine (13) (last seen alive Nov. 18, 2012 when he arrived at airport, reported missing on Nov. 19, 2012, Vallecito; found about 8 miles up Middle Mountain Road, a dirt road that cuts through the San Juan National Forest, about 100 yards from the road, directly off an ATV trail on June 27, 2013 & Nov. 1, 2015 his skull was found by hikers about 1.5 miles thru rough terrain from where his remains were found, by road 5 miles.) - *Mark Allen Redwine (50 @ time of crime/55/now 58), "father" indicted (6/20/17) & arrested & charged (7/2017) with 2nd degree murder & child abuse resulting in death. Plead not guilty. $750K bond.
Jury Trial began on 10/29/20 with jury selection & ended 11/5/20 after Judge Wilson declared mistrial on 11/9/20.
Re-Trial began on 6/14/21 with jury selection & ended 6/21/21 selecting the final 16 & trial will start with opening statements in the afternoon on 6/21/21 (skip 7/3 & 7/4 restart 7/6/21 thru 8/2/21). all @ 8a 12 jurors & 4 alternates (11 men & 5 women).

Previous court hearings from 9/10/17 thru 10/27/20 & Jury Selection (Day 1-6) 10/29/20 to 11/5/20 & 11/9/20 & info to 5/18/21 to 6/11/21 & new jury selection (Day 1-6) 6/14/21 to 6/21/21 & trial (Day 1-8) 6/21/21 to 6/30/21 reference post #563 here:
Found Deceased - CO - Dylan Nicholas Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 Nov 2012 *father arrested* #2

7/1/21 Thursday, Trial Day 9: Correction on yesterday's witness Daniel Foster. He was NOT a wildlife expert.
State witnesses: Drayton Harrison, wildlife expert. District wildlife manager for County. Krystle Rodriguez, Forensic analyst at Univ. of No. Texas Health Science Center.
See posts # 571, 572, 576 & 577 for more info here:
Found Deceased - CO - Dylan Nicholas Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 Nov 2012 *father arrested* #2
Chuck Heidel briefly back on stand. Judge rules that the exhibit will be admissible. Dr. Catherine France, forensic Anthropologist at Univ. of No. Texas Health Science Center.
See posts #582, 583, 584, 597 & 598 for more info here:
Dr. Catherine France continued.
See post #601, 602, 604 & 607 for more info here:
See posts #624, 627 & 628 for more info here:
See posts #659 & 660 for more info here:
Nicholas Brandon Redwine, Redwine & Betsy Horvath's son on the stand.
See posts #667 to 672, 675 to 679 for more info here:
Nicolas Brandon Redwine continued. Betsy Horvath, ex-wife of Redwine.
See posts #681 to 687, 690, 691, 693, 696 & 698 for more info here:
Betsy Horvath continued. Brandi Flann, from Pine Valley Bank re ATM card.
See posts #704, 706, 707, 709, 711, 719 & 720 for more info here:
Brandi Flann continued.
See post #734 for more info here:
Brandi Flann continued.
See post #743 for more info here:
Judge said that due to the holiday this weekend, court will dismiss early tomorrow, approximately 12 noon. Trial continues on 7/2/21. The State will be done by next Tuesday, 7/6 or Wednesday, 7/7.

So Mark proved again what a manipulative man he is.

He tell Dylan and Elaine he has got Dylan his own personal bank account . Then puts a ridiculous amount of money in to look like the best dad ever knowing he has Not activated it and Dylan will actually never be able to use the money.

So on paper best dad award goes to Mark . But he always has a agenda and this was another one.

IMO

Advisement hearing back in August 2017.

MR is scary creepy looking. Watch CR and EH exchange a look at 18:00 when Moran says he’s always held a job. Just gave me a little bit of a laugh during the sadness of all this.

How do you all feel the trial is going? I catch up every night here, I'm in Australia. It's bee such a long time to get to this point. I found seeing Dylan's now grown up peers very sad, Dylan didn't get to grow up. Oh yeah, I had to look at those photos, and yes, of course I wish that I hadn't!

How do you all feel the trial is going? I catch up every night here, I'm in Australia. It's bee such a long time to get to this point. I found seeing Dylan's now grown up peers very sad, Dylan didn't get to grow up. Oh yeah, I had to look at those photos, and yes, of course I wish that I hadn't!

I think it’s going fantastically, of course it would be good to have more DNA evidence that’s always helpful. But the Defense excuses to me at least are absolutely pathetic.

We have zero proof of life after 9.30pm and that’s the kicker.

I think it’s going fantastically, of course it would be good to have more DNA evidence that’s always helpful. But the Defense excuses to me at least are absolutely pathetic.

We have zero proof of life after 9.30pm and that’s the kicker.
My kicker, other than the bear expert, was how Dylan told his friend he would knock on the sliding glass door at his grandmother’s home at 6:30 a.m. and call all day if he didn't answer.

Dylan's friend said he set an alarm and woke up. He expected him to be there. Or to wake up to him knocking on that sliding door.

Today, Ms Brandie Flann, ( Bank VP) returns to the stand for cross. Before the jury entered, a discussion between attorneys and the judge regarding Mr Brandon Redwine's to be continued testimony. I am anticipating another contentious cross, with multiple objections and interruptions...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny