Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've exhausted all scenarios....

These tiny innocuous details slipping through the cracks in this recent flurry of interviews with the media are causing theories and scenarios to drop like flies lately.

This reminds me of fishing, when you get a knot in your fishing line, the more you pull on it the more of a tangled mess it becomes to to point where you just have to cut the line and start over.

The possible hitchhiking is beginning to sound like a very real possibility to me. I am sure that if he woke up after his dad left, he would have probably been bored very quickly, so perhaps he set off to hitchhike to his friends' house taking his fishing pole with him, and somebody came along and coaxed him into their vehicle.
But assuming that he tried to hitchhike and wasn't seen by neighbors walking down the road... that's not too far fetched, to me. I don't always see who walks down my road and I live in a rural area. When people are walking, they don't make that much noise. Unless you're sitting by the window and watching out, you might not notice a person walking by. He could easily have not been sighted at all before getting into a vehicle with someone. That person could have made certain not to pick him up right in front of another house. I don't know how far apart Mark's house is from other houses, but if you live in that area, you might not always know what's going on around you every minute, right?
People still hitchhike in the area I live in. I see them all the time. Kids 13 years old may not even think of the dangers of accepting a ride from strangers, and especially from someone they even remotely know.
It is a possiblity, IMO.

exactly. which is why i question no MSM reports of searches, or requests for video/eyewitness accounts for the route from vallecito to bayfield. if he left on his own, logic dictates that's where he would go. bayfield, where his friends are.

if a perp picked him up in that direction or he was hitchiking along the 501 south, there could be a clue along the highway. a backpack perhaps?

but instead they've made public pleas & statements regarding the route from vallecito to durango only; combed the reservoir area and gone door to door in vallecito.

have they gone door to door in bayfield? aside from the two RSO's they checked out? TIA...

It seems to me that they are narrowing the window of ' opportunity' for said crime to have occurred to be sunday night, and therefore anything on monday morning may be irrelevant . I hope I'm wrong but this is the impression I get from the language and requests. Why bother looking at where he might ahve gone on monday morning if they feel certain he actually disappeared on sunday night?

I really don't think he'd decide to hitchhike without first trying to get one of his friends' parents to pick him up. I would think as soon as Dylan woke up, realized Dad was gone, he would have immediately started texting or calling his buddies trying to get to them and I don't think he'd attempt hitchhiking unless those other possibilities weren't successful. And, no texts or calls to Mom that morning is strange to me too.

We've beat this horse to death, but this is the type of kid (much like most 13 year olds) who would grab for his cell phone probably before grabbing a toothbrush, a bowl of cereal, etc.

The article from last night said one third of the task force are investigating rsos. They are not cleared.one third is on tips and leads and the other third is looking at video.

Sounds like this investigation is wide open

TY. I didn't think they were cleared. Also as someone posted earlier on this thread, there are always transient unaccounted for on-the-run RSO's or yet-to-be-caught/imprisoned/classified predators. Ughh. On that note, yuck.
I do hope that the local RSO's were clearly alibi-ed in the first several days of Dylan's disappearance though and this is just double or triple checking.

That's good news. I remember the other day LE thanked the public
for handing in video. If 1/3 of task force is looking at it, it must be
a lot. Please let there be that one little blip of good news in that
video !
Thank you for sharing !

I didn't see in the article that the 3 teams were evenly divided into thirds. Did I miss that?

With the lack of communication the next day by Dylan I am prone to think something happened to him the night before or he was abducted the next morning directly from his sleep at home. I doubt the abductor would bother to grab his backpack and certainly not the fishing pole.
I read most residents don't lock their doors in that area. Is it possible MR told neighbors Dylan was coming and someone saw MR leave in the morning without Dylan? But still an abductor surely wouldn't take his fishing pole and backpack.

I just can't believe that if Dylan were hitching a ride into Bayfield or even going fishing or heading to his friends in Vallecito that he would not have contacted those friends (that were so important to him the night before) that morning before leaving the house.

Do we know for sure that Dad had a landline? I know there are reports of sketchy cell service in the area. What about internet? If he couldn't text or call surely he could have contacted them via email or online chat or facebook messaging?

There is no doubt in my mind had Dylan been able to contact the friends in the morning he would have.

There were msm reports that dad has a working landline.

"His priority was pretty much with his friends, so I wasn't alarmed," Mark said.

How did Dylan get to his "friend's house in Vallecito" ? In his saying "I wasn't alarmed," MR implies he likely thought Dylan found transportation to the friend's house. Dylan didn't ride his bike, it's still on the porch. So that leaves either walking or catching a ride of some sort. Given the travel distances involved in that remote area, walking seems unlikely. MR himself implies the practical need for transportation to Dylan's friend's house with his statement:

In hindsight, Mark wonders whether Dylan became impatient and hitchhiked. "I can't quite wrap my mind around that yet," he said.
BBM
Based on my "kid years" my guess is Dad thought Dylan asked one of his friend's moms or friend's older sibling to come get him. A whole group of us kids traveled around our area for years by way of other moms. I especially think Dads in particular count on Moms to kind of pick up the slack sometimes (no offense to some Dads out there).

Interesting "new" article(s) from last night where we get a few more details from dad about that Monday morning.... more specifics ---> more questions ---> more confusion.

If MR's story is completely accurate, which is a possibility, it's down to those 4 hours + any premeditation, communication, or planning that took place in the hours or weeks earlier on someone else's part to take Dylan. I'm struggling to believe that someone or someone(s) were able to take/abduct/hurt Dylan within basically a 23 hour maximum time frame (6pm Sunday - 5pm Monday... being liberal with the time)... with no witnesses, evidence, DNA, trace, whatsoever. And we know LE knows much more than we do, but they're not able to get closer to something concrete (seemingly).

BBM Sadly this happens OFTEN. Many crimes like this are crimes of opportunity. Look through some of the "missing but not forgotten" cases or think of cases like Mickey Shunick's. There are so many cases where a kid is just walking home for a block or two and then *poof*. They're gone. No planning. The wrong person just happens by at the right time.

I didn't see in the article that the 3 teams were evenly divided into thirds. Did I miss that?

Sorry I think you are right, I said ' third' instead of ' team' .

http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/ci_22110078/dad-its-wait-wonder

Lt. Ray Shupe, a spokesman for the task force, said the group has broken into teams this weekend. One is looking into all information that has come into a tip line; another is investigating the registered sex offenders who live in the Vallecito area. There are nine of them in Vallecito and Bayfield. Another team is combing through videos and photographs taken along the road from Vallecito to Durango on the day Dylan went missing.

I just don't get it. From the looks of this, Dylan and his dad would have likely arrived home around 8pm at the earliest. Dylan was jazzed enough to want to meet up with his friends that night. But, when he was told he couldn't go until the following morning he....what?....went straight to bed at 8pm....on the couch....because he was suddenly just that tired??

It doesn't add up for me. One minute, Dylan is awake and energized enough to go out with friends for the night, the next minute he's so exhausted from staying up late the night before and traveling that he has to go to bed at 8pm. One of these things is not like the other.

http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/ci_22110078/dad-its-wait-wonder

Maybe the 45 minute drive home from Durango made him sleepy?

I really don't think he'd decide to hitchhike without first trying to get one of his friends' parents to pick him up. I would think as soon as Dylan woke up, realized Dad was gone, he would have immediately started texting or calling his buddies trying to get to them and I don't think he'd attempt hitchhiking unless those other possibilities weren't successful. And, no texts or calls to Mom that morning is strange to me too.

We've beat this horse to death, but this is the type of kid (much like most 13 year olds) who would grab for his cell phone probably before grabbing a toothbrush, a bowl of cereal, etc.

I am in full agreement with this. Surely, Dylan would have woken up on Monday morning, found his dad gone, and texted his friends to say he was on his way anyhow. But there was no communication Monday morning from Dylan. This only leaves 2 possibilities:

1) Dylan left the house or was abducted Sunday night (but, then, that would mean Dad is making up the story about trying to rouse him Monday morning)

2) Dad did something to/with Dylan before leaving to run the errands Monday morning.

I just can't see any scenario that fits with Dylan waking up Monday morning and leaving the house without first getting in touch with his friends.

Don't count on LE giving the media or the public ALL the details of what they know or don't know, or what they've ruled in or out. They are going to keep some things close to the vest, that's a given. It's how they operate. They do not mind causing the public to get confused regarding which way the wind is blowing. They are only concerned with finding out what happened to Dylan. It can be mass confusion among all the media outlets but when the time is right, and he is found, they will fill in some of the blanks. Until then, they will be doing many things that we are not made aware of.
Think back to the Jessica Ridgeway case, or the Sierra Lamar case. They had a suspect in mind within days and the public was not even aware of what they were doing, until an arrest was made.
We are not entitled to know everything they do just yet. We need to keep that in mind.

The article from last night said one third of the task force are investigating rsos. They are not cleared.one third is on tips and leads and the other third is looking at video.

Sounds like this investigation is wide open

Looking through the local RSOS, quite a few a them look like someone who would appear non-threatening.

http://www.colorado.gov/apps/cdps/soma/index.jsp

The possible hitchhiking is beginning to sound like a very real possibility to me. I am sure that if he woke up after his dad left, he would have probably been bored very quickly, so perhaps he set off to hitchhike to his friends' house taking his fishing pole with him, and somebody came along and coaxed him into their vehicle.
But assuming that he tried to hitchhike and wasn't seen by neighbors walking down the road... that's not too far fetched, to me. I don't always see who walks down my road and I live in a rural area. When people are walking, they don't make that much noise. Unless you're sitting by the window and watching out, you might not notice a person walking by. He could easily have not been sighted at all before getting into a vehicle with someone. That person could have made certain not to pick him up right in front of another house. I don't know how far apart Mark's house is from other houses, but if you live in that area, you might not always know what's going on around you every minute, right?
People still hitchhike in the area I live in. I see them all the time. Kids 13 years old may not even think of the dangers of accepting a ride from strangers, and especially from someone they even remotely know.
It is a possiblity, IMO.

I think this is a great post. Also, since Vallecito is a smaller community and Dylan might have felt "safe" there--more so than his other home--he might be even less concerned about the danger. For all we know he accepted a ride from someone he was acquainted with. Someone in the community. Not all SO are registered or known. Not all "friendly" people in town are what they seem. There are a TON of unsolved murders out there with no suspects. These sickos have to be somewhere, living a "normal" enough life that they fly under the radar.

It doesn't sound unusual to me. I recall similar instances when my own son was a teen. He'd think that he could go and go without sleep. When we'd put our foot down and say no, he had to stay home, he'd konk out watching TV in no time at all. I can remember teasing him about it later.

I'm suspicious of MR for a lot of reasons but this isn't one of them. My own 12 year old will go wide open until he makes the mistake of sitting down and then he is out like a light. He has always been that way and it isn't unusual for him to sleep a solid 12 hours after a long weekend or a lot of excitement.

The way both parents have described Dylan reminds me so much of my Brandon and I can see me & my husband giving similar conflicting descriptions. My husband would likely tell you about B's love of soccer, kick ball and chasing lightening bugs because those are the things he enjoys doing with him. I would talk about his love of reading, cooking, computer games and watching TV because those are things I share with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member