GUILTY CO - Elijah McClain, 23, died in chokehold & injection, Denver, 2019 *Police & paramedics charged, 1 guilty* *city settled*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
[…]

Before the sentencing, both Cooper and his wife, Tarrah Cooper, and nearly a dozen others addressed the court on his behalf.

Tarrah said she wanted to offer “heartfelt condolences” to McClain’s mother, Sheneen McClain, and that her “heart aches for her.” Tarrah told the court “part of Jeremy’s soul died” when he learned he would no longer be a firefighter, and asked for leniency in his sentence.

Jeremy Cooper started his remarks by saying “what I would like to do now is talk to Elijah.” McClain’s mother stood up and left the courtroom at that point, along with two other women. Cooper said he wished McClain was still here and able to hug his mother, and expressed a desire to “bring our communities together.”

Sheneen McClain returned to the courtroom once Cooper and his attorney finished speaking. She said the “lack of humanity in their comments is not a surprise.”

“He did what he felt was best? He did nothing,” she said of Cooper’s actions during his encounter with McClain. “There’s nothing Jeremy Cooper can say to remove my son’s blood from his hands.”

[…]

Second paramedic involved in Elijah McClain’s death sentenced to probation, work release and community service
Second paramedic involved in Elijah McClain’s death sentenced to probation, work release and community service | KRDO

The sole Aurora police officer convicted in the death of Elijah McClain is seeking to change his sentence from 14 months of jail work-release to in-home detention, telling a judge he is depressed, paranoid, sleeping poorly and has lost 30 pounds since beginning his part-time jail sentence.

Former officer Randy Roedema was convicted in October of criminally negligent homicide and third-degree assault in McClain’s 2019 death. McClain, an unarmed 23-year-old Black man who had committed no crime, was violently arrested by Aurora police and then injected by paramedics with an overdose of a powerful sedative, leading to his death.

Roedema was sentenced to 14 months of work-release in January and began serving that sentence in March. Under work-release, Roedema is allowed to leave the jail during the day in order to go to his job, but he must return after work and spend nights and weekends in jail. The motion does not say what job Roedema holds.

OK it is a rant. Feel free to remove if it violates the rules. I took a screenshot and will post it elsewhere. This story makes my blood boil, IMHO, there is more prejudice in this case than in many better-known ones. Double prejudice. The part that has to do with Elijah being a person of color was probably not a self-recognized prejudice, but it ran on a very strong subconscious level. The other one? I think he was a vulnerable person, and this is where one wants to ask the police and the paramedics, what the heck do you do? Shouldn’t you be trained to see who you serve?

A black man living nearby, in the neighborhood, is walking down the street, alone, wearing a ski mask because of a blood disorder and he is stimming as he walks. Big deal. Someone calls the police (You know what I think, I just hope the person is a boomer and mentally infirm). The police comes. Should’ve they been trained to see what anyone ought to have seen? Elijah has a job, has zero criminal history, is gifted. Here is what he says:

I can't breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That's my house. I was just going home. I'm an introvert. I'm just different. That's all. I'm so sorry. I have no gun. I don't do that stuff. I don't do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don't even kill flies! I don't eat meat! But I don't judge people, I don't judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I'll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I'm a mood Gemini. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Ow, that really hurt! You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. [after vomiting] Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to do that. I just can't breathe correctly.”

Does everyone read what I read here? Poor guy.

And what do the cops do? First, they switch off body cameras. Big red flags. This alone should be an offense. Then they yell that he reached for their guns. The heck I believe it. Then they put him down, apply carotid hold (whatever his blood disorder was, it could have been enough) and then the paramedics inject him with the ketamine. Two days later, he is switched off the vent as he is brain dead.

Had his mother who moved the family to a suburb to escape gang violence gone all the way, through community leaders, it could have been a very big case. But she is a nice person, and she still behaves nicely and with dignity.

I know that 15 M is a huge settlement. Will it bring the mom her child back? No. The policemen are free on bond. I think the only thing the mother can do is sue all these policemen individually, especially the one who applied the chokehold. They still don’t know what killed Elijah, btw. And I am less inclined to blame the paramedics because they proceed from the info provided by the cops.

IMHO, Elijah was discriminated against on two different aspects.

Three cops and two paramedics. Statisticslly, one of five can have a child or a grandchild with similar issues. So I know that one of them will ultimately understand the mother. Probably another one will have an offspring with a medical condition, because, again, statistical genetic load. I don’t wish ill on people but it is unavoidable. So perhaps two will come to realize deeper.

The other three? I don’t know. The cops ought to have been punished more.

Here: “While still a teenager, he (*Elijah*) taught himself to play violin and guitar. During lunch breaks, he brought his instruments to animal shelters and played for the abandoned animals, believing that music put them at ease.”

What the heck did you, public servants, do?

I feel horribly sorry for the mother. What can I say? It was 2019. The state of Colorado should praise the Lord that she is such a nice woman. RIP, Elijah.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizz28
Back