GUILTY CO - Freight train collided into a police cruiser parked on tracks with a woman trapped inside, PLATTEVILLE, 16 Sept. '22 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't for the life of me understand why the officer would park on the tracks. AND none of the other officers present says anything. AND they place the suspect in cuffs in the back of the vehicle parked on the tracks. Officers were just totally oblivious to their location - tunnel vision. Not only is parking on the tracks dumb, its illegal.

Not only is the county/town going to be sued by the woman, they are likely going to get a claim from the railroad as well for damage to the locomotive. And possibly a claim from the engineer for his/her emotional distress.

I can't for the life of me understand why the officer would park on the tracks. AND none of the other officers present says anything. AND they place the suspect in cuffs in the back of the vehicle parked on the tracks. Officers were just totally oblivious to their location - tunnel vision. Not only is parking on the tracks dumb, its illegal.

Not only is the county/town going to be sued by the woman, they are likely going to get a claim from the railroad as well for damage to the locomotive. And possibly a claim from the engineer for his/her emotional distress.
@PrairieWind, Do you think it’s possible that there could be criminal charges filed against the officers?

@PrairieWind, Do you think it’s possible that there could be criminal charges filed against the officers?

I think it is possible yes. Probably some sort of endangerment charge. But we will see. It is staggering negligence, but is it criminal? That is up to a prosecutor.

Wilkinson said he expects to file a lawsuit on behalf of his client in the next few months as she recovers with physical therapy. He told 9NEWS he sent letters to Platteville and Fort Lupton notifying them about a “notice of claim,” which is required under state law before a lawsuit is filed in state court.

Maybe defense lawyers might suggest that the lighting was poor and that the train track was not adequately fenced or protected in some way? speculation.

IIRC, the photo and video showed there was a crossbuck nearby. The problem is police often get really wired up when they are chasing a vehicle. It might be that less experienced officers get tunnel vision during a police chase and don't notice they're close to railroad tracks.

It's impossible for a railroad to fence in its tracks. Most US carriers own tens of thousands of miles of track and right of way across the US. The best they can do is put up crossing signs at grade crossings and educate the public to stay away from tracks and cross safely when necessary. Usually the tracks were in the location before the road was built. Railroad right of way, at miminum to 30 ft from the center line of the track on either side, is railroad property. Parking, walking, etc. there is trespassing.

Sept 30 2022
''GREELEY, Colo. — It’s been two weeks since a freight train collided with an occupied police car, and now a man connected to the events leading up to the incident is revealing his thoughts.
9NEWS obtained dispatch audio and the 12-minute 911 call made in which a 22-year-old man tells a dispatch operator a woman pointed a gun at him during a road rage incident on Sept. 16. ''

“I am headed towards Greeley on Highway 85. This lady was completely riding my a-- and then she pulled a gun on me,” the caller told a Weld County emergency dispatcher. The caller then described the woman as Hispanic and gave the Texas license plate.
9NEWS was able to speak to the caller over the phone. He asked that his name not be released because he considers himself a victim of a crime.''

The poor woman was merely suspected of having been involved in a "road rage incident" earlier that night (which had been reported by an anonymous 911 call), and (as far as I know) still has not been charged with any crime, so there was absolutely ZERO reason that this had to happen because she shouldn't have even been cuffed and put into the police cruiser in the first place! It's quite hard for me to believe that this was truly the result of an oversight on the part of the police.
I'm not sure of the details of the road rage incident, the jurisdictional laws there, or whether they were justified in the arrest. However, the "ZERO reason" is that the officers should not have parked on the tracks at all, ever, and even more so with someone detained inside the cruiser. They put at risk her life, the lives of the men and women operating the train, and the lives of everyone in that area. This is horrific.

Adding:
In his 911 call, the other driver alleges that she pulled a gun on him during the road rage incident. I can understand why she was detained, temporarily or otherwise, but not why they parked on the tracks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the details of the road rage incident, the jurisdictional laws there, or whether they were justified in the arrest. However, the "ZERO reason" is that the officers should not have parked on the tracks at all, ever, and even more so with someone detained inside the cruiser. They put at risk her life, the lives of the men and women operating the train, and the lives of everyone in that area. This is horrific.

Adding:
In his 911 call, the other driver alleges that she pulled a gun on him during the road rage incident. I can understand why she was detained, temporarily or otherwise, but not why they parked on the tracks.
rbbm.

''The train, estimated to be operating at 40 mph, demolished the police car and pushed it 100 feet or more down the tracks, according to various reports.''
1664644358073.png
OpenRailwayMap
''The location is on the UP Greeley Subdivision main line between Denver and Cheyenne.
Editor’s Commentary: How is it possible that three trained police officers from two departments, who in the video appear to be handling the situation “by the book” and treating the suspect fairly and with respect, not realize the police cruiser, illuminated with headlights and emergency lights, is parked on railroad tracks? Union Pacific bears no responsibility here, in our opinion. We infer that the officers’ situational awareness training did not include railroad rights-of-way. And this unfortunate incident happened during Railroad Safety Week. Our industry is diligent about training first-responders proper procedures for railroad-related emergencies, such as a derailment involving a hazmat spill. Let this sad story be a lesson-learned for all law enforcement. The message is basic and common-sense: Don’t stop on railroad tracks, much less park on them. – William C. Vantuono''

... and i am "not" anti-police and not "for" ridiculous judgments.... but, i hope this lady is compensated fairly. what price can be put on having nightmares and panic attacks forever?

Same here and this personal injury lawyer probably can’t contain himself. There is a big payday coming here. A few of them.

When young, I lived near a railroad with a bridge. The bridge was often crossed, as to the railroad, we were always told, look right, look left, be careful when crossing because your shoe might get trapped under the rails, never cross with the train in sight.

This when is on foot. As to cars, all crossings would have bars, that would open or close depending how close the train would be.

I can't even imagine a police cruiser parking on the railway crossing. This poses danger not only to the car passengers, but to anyone in the train. It was immense luck that it was a freight train, otherwise, we might be discussing a major train accident.

It is a guess, but I think that the poor woman is alive only because the train driver saw the car and hit the brakes. He probably knew to drop the speed when approaching the crossing.

He, too, might have PTSD now.

Best of wishes and recovery to Yareni Rios-Gonzalez, and best wishes to the freight train crew, they, too, are victims of policemen inadequacy.

Last edited:
rbbm.

''The train, estimated to be operating at 40 mph, demolished the police car and pushed it 100 feet or more down the tracks, according to various reports.''
View attachment 370183
OpenRailwayMap
''The location is on the UP Greeley Subdivision main line between Denver and Cheyenne.
Editor’s Commentary: How is it possible that three trained police officers from two departments, who in the video appear to be handling the situation “by the book” and treating the suspect fairly and with respect, not realize the police cruiser, illuminated with headlights and emergency lights, is parked on railroad tracks? Union Pacific bears no responsibility here, in our opinion. We infer that the officers’ situational awareness training did not include railroad rights-of-way. And this unfortunate incident happened during Railroad Safety Week. Our industry is diligent about training first-responders proper procedures for railroad-related emergencies, such as a derailment involving a hazmat spill. Let this sad story be a lesson-learned for all law enforcement. The message is basic and common-sense: Don’t stop on railroad tracks, much less park on them. – William C. Vantuono''
It's a sad day for our society when we discover that first-responder training needs to include "Situational Awareness" instructions about not parking or stopping on railroad tracks. SMH.

It's a sad day for our society when we discover that first-responder training needs to include "Situational Awareness" instructions about not parking or stopping on railroad tracks. SMH.

When everyone needs situation awareness training to include "don't park on railroad tracks", "don't stand under the crane boom", or "don't launch fireworks off your head", mankind is doomed. (((

When everyone needs situation awareness training to include "don't park on railroad tracks", "don't stand under the crane boom", or "don't launch fireworks off your head", mankind is doomed. (((
It was dark and they got distracted by the task at hand. But how every single officer on site ignored or missed the danger until too late is just appalling. Horns were blaring in warning.
MOO

This is what it looks like:
View attachment 370513
SOURCE:
That railroad line runs for miles along Hwy 85 with multiple intersections that look much like this. In my brief look at several of the crossings near Platteville, I only saw one with red warning lights & crossing bars.

It is very, very rural & the road is level with the railroad tracks. I doubt it would be economically feasible to have better lighting, etc. at all the crossings & that is a long highway.

However, the lights from the patrol car should have been enough to trigger an awareness of the danger. It makes me wonder if that officer did much night duty & how long she had worked there.

No excuses, though.

If the timing had been different 2 or all 3 of the officers could have been killed. That the young woman in cuffs survived is amazing.

There is no reasonable defense!

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kate E