Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[URL="https://krdo.com/news/2020/12/31/the-top-stories-on-krdo-com-in-2020/"]The top stories on KRDO.com in 2020 - KRDO[/URL]

9. Affidavit reveals police timeline of Gannon Stauch's alleged murder (April 3)

After Letecia Stauch's arrest for first-degree murder in the death of her stepson, Gannon Stauch, we obtained the police affidavit that outlined how investigators made the connection to charge her, including grim details of what was found in the 11-year-old boy's bedroom.

6. Gannon Stauch's stepmother arrested for murder (March 2)
More than a month after Gannon Stauch was reported missing, his stepmother, Letecia Stauch, was arrested in South Carolina and extradited back to Colorado to face criminal charges including first-degree murder

4. Surveillance video may show Gannon Stauch leaving with stepmom (February 4)
In the immediate wake of Gannon Stauch's disappearance, local law enforcement scoured through surveillance video caught by neighbors in the Lorson Ranch neighborhood. One neighbor provided ABC with video that appeared to show Gannon leaving with his stepmother and not returning. The affidavit timeline that was later released (and referenced earlier in this list) would cast doubt on the contents of the video

Within the first month of the new decade, the Pikes Peak Region community came together to search for 11-year-old Gannon Stauch. His mother, Landen Hiott, provided media interviews pleading for the safe return of her only son.

“I can’t get to him and you kind of feel like a failure, when you can’t,” Hiott had said.

Five weeks after Gannon was reported missing, his stepmother Letecia Stauch was arrested in connection to his disappearance and murder.

“Justice will be served, and I’ll make sure that justice is served because my boy did not deserve any of this to happen to him,” Hiott pledged after learning of the arrest.
FOX21’s 2020 Year in review | FOX21 News Colorado

Just curious as to why a second mental evaluation was requested ?
I know was done by defense, just curious if anyone has heard of this before in cases. Obviously LS has been setting the insanity defense up from jump with the letters to judge and all.
I’m fairly certain there was a legally sound reason for being granted a second eval, although I can’t recall what that was. It may have been one or more of her latest antics. Someone with a better memory will probably post a link for you. IMO the real reason is they didn’t like being told that, while Leticia is evil and menace to society, she’s completely sane and able to stand trial.

ETA Letecia Stauch found competent to stand trial in killing of stepson, but her attorneys want a second evaluation

I know was done by defense, just curious if anyone has heard of this before in cases. Obviously LS has been setting the insanity defense up from jump with the letters to judge and all.
Probably because the first results were that LS is competent for the court hearings to continue forward, and LS did not like the results. Never mind the first evaluation was very thorough where she was in-patient custody at the Colorado State Hospital - Pueblo.

BBM

In Colorado by law any party--defense, state, or judge-- can ask for a second evaluation for competency. I feel confident the defense attorneys have a good reason for questioning LS's grasp of her legal situation and her ability to cooperate with them.

BUT evaluation for competency has nothing to do with an insanity defense and being competent is not a ruling of "sanity." (In fact, one would need to be competent to stand trial to even need an insanity defense because there would be no trial and no need for a defense without competency to proceed. Of course, lack of competency doesn't mean she goes free either.)

And an evaluation for competency is totally different from an insanity/diminished capacity evaluation anyway.

Finally, an insanity/diminished capacity defense essentially requires the defendant to admit committing the crime as it is an affirmative defense. While it may seem obvious LS has been setting up an insanity defense to some on WS, do people really see her admitting to the crime?
JMO

Last edited:
BBM

In Colorado by law any party--defense, state, or judge-- can ask for a second evaluation for competency. I feel confident the defense attorneys have a good reason for questioning LS's grasp of her legal situation and her ability to cooperate.

BUT evaluation for competency has nothing to do with an insanity defense. (In fact, one would need to be competent to stand trial to even need an insanity defense because there would be no trial and no need for a defense without competency to proceed. Of course, lack of competency doesn't mean she goes free either.)

And an evaluation for competency is totally different from an insanity/diminished capacity defense anyway.

Finally, an insanity/diminished capacity defense essentially requires the defendant to admit committing the crime as it is an affirmative defense. While it may seem obvious LS has been setting up an insanity defense to some on WS, do people really see her admitting to the crime?
JMO

Great post & great question too.

Pure speculation of course but I think the only way she'd ever admit to what she did, is if there was something in it for her. Such as, blaming someone else for causing her to react in such a way (probably AS), and then somehow still painting herself out to be the real victim in this.

I mean, she's pretty handy with making up elaborate stories.
Just ask Eguardo, or the jailhouse peanut butter delivery person.

Great post & great question too.

Pure speculation of course but I think the only way she'd ever admit to what she did, is if there was something in it for her. Such as, blaming someone else for causing her to react in such a way (probably AS), and then somehow still painting herself out to be the real victim in this.

I mean, she's pretty handy with making up elaborate stories.
Just ask Eguardo, or the jailhouse peanut butter delivery person.

BBM...
animated-smileys-laughing-010.gif

Thanks! I needed a good laugh today! :D

BBM

In Colorado by law any party--defense, state, or judge-- can ask for a second evaluation for competency. I feel confident the defense attorneys have a good reason for questioning LS's grasp of her legal situation and her ability to cooperate with them.

BUT evaluation for competency has nothing to do with an insanity defense and being competent is not a ruling of "sanity." (In fact, one would need to be competent to stand trial to even need an insanity defense because there would be no trial and no need for a defense without competency to proceed. Of course, lack of competency doesn't mean she goes free either.)

And an evaluation for competency is totally different from an insanity/diminished capacity evaluation anyway.

JMO

This actually does clear it up for me. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngluteplayer