Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
…they won’t need two weeks.

I have full faith in the population of Colorado.

from an opinion position, I find it hard to imagine that stuff like “I worked with one of the detectives’ wives” is going to disqualify people… unless the people are dedicatedly wedded to making themselves sound bad in other ways.

I could of course be wrong, but in my experience as a juror, if you mention that you’re either trying to duck it; or you’re simply a scrupulously honest person, in which latter case you’d be just the kind of juror they want.

My understanding was even if jury selection took 1 day, the trial will still start on the April date originally provided.

A lot of questions about media exposure from Allen, and if the current crop of potential jurors are able to separate the news they've seen from the evidence and testimony that will be presented at trial. None of the remaining people are indicating that would be a problem.

Allen asked potential jurors if they can put media information they've previously consumed on this case to the side. Several potential jurors said they could. One said they are already trying to wipe their mind clean of past news surrounding this case.

In less than 20 minutes, jury selection for the Letecia Stauch murder trial is set to get underway. The El Paso Co. woman is accused of killing her 11-month old step-son Gannon Stauch. I will be inside the courtroom as the selection process commences.

During a pre-trial hearing in February, Judge Gregory Werner said the jury selection process may start on March 20, but it likely won't be until April 3 when the state starts calling witnesses.

The first 100 jury members are in the courtroom, Judge Gregory Werner told the potential jury members the trial could last until mid-May or even late-May.

When Judge Werner asked potential jury members if a trial of that length would cause "undue or extreme hardship", more than half raised their hands.

Work schedules, school, planned vacations, and dependents are the most common reasons why potential jury members say they would experience "undue or extreme hardship" if they had to serve as a jury member.

Prior to the first potential jury members walking into the courtroom, Letecia Stauch was smiling as she was speaking with one of her defense attorneys. Since they came in, Stauch has been looking away from all of the potential jurors. Covering her face with her hair.

One of the potential jurors was immediately dismissed by Judge Werner to a gale of laughter from the fellow potential jurors when he revealed that he works for District Attorney and lead prosecutor Michael Allen.

Judge Werner asked about reasons of disqualification: -Related to #leteciastauch? - No hands. -Legal relationships with the defendant? - No hands. -Lawsuit with the defendant? - No hands. -Witness in the case? - No hands. -Financial interest in the case? - No hands.

Do they have bias towards #leteciastauch or prosecution? - Several potential jurors raised their hands.

Reasons for potential bias: -Past news media coverage of the #leteciastauch case. -Strong opinions when it comes to crimes against children. -Family member is in prison for child abuse. Judge asked jury pool if they could set aside bias. Most said they could, not all.

CORRECTION: 11-year old*
Yes! Finally! I think Judge Werner is a good judge. Justice for this precious boy my neighbors searched for day and night..I'm crying now. So, so ready for Justice for Gannon Stauch!

Are family members in the courtroom for jury selection? I would guess no.

The courtroom capacity is limited for jury selection and Judge Werner previously provides the following limitations for family, etc.:

Due to courtroom capacity during jury selection, only the following seats are available: 2 media, 2 security, and 2 family members for each prosecution and defense but there is no room for any advocates.
^^rsbm

Today I am covering the beginning of the Letecia Stauch jury trial, which is expected to be a six week long trial. Stauch is accused of killing her stepson Gannon in 2020. We begin today with jury selection.

Jury selection is expected to last 2 weeks, partly due to concerns over media exposure and concerns over the sensitive nature of the evidence that will be presented. The main concern though, according to Judge Gregory Werner, is juror’s availability for a full six weeks.

Jury selection is expected to last ~2 weeks, goal is to eventually get to a 16-person jury, four of which will be deemed alternates prior to the start of testimony. Opening statements are scheduled to begin on the afternoon of April 3, even if jury selection is completed sooner

They currently still got us waiting in the hallway, but will try and tweet updates as we get going!

Around 75 people called in to start the day, and as expected almost all of them thus far have indicated the length of the trial would "significantly" impact their lives. Common reasonings so far include college, work and vacations.

Even less than 30 minutes in it's clear why this process will take two weeks, not many people can accommodate a full six-week jury trial into their lives.

My count is 48 of the 75 people told Werner that the length of the trial would be a significant impact to their lives.

One of the more bizarre reasons was one man who indicated he is about to begin a job as a prosecutor for the 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office next month. That man was the first person to be dismissed today.

I counted 15 people who indicated they had some sort of bias that could impact their ability to be on the jury, including three different people who stated they had family members who were killed in the past and that would make it difficult for them to take part in this trial.

Several stated that they would struggle not to be biased based on news coverage they had seen in the past.
Those fifteen people are honest. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member