CO - Glenwood Springs, Possible planned mass shooter found dead, Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, 28 Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dspdenver

Reaction score

[A 22-year-old man found dead at an amusement park in Glenwood Springs on Saturday was armed with multiple guns, loaded magazines and explosive devices, according to authorities.

"While this investigation is still ongoing and very active it is important to realize that given the amount of weapons, ammunition and explosive devices found, the suspect could have implemented an attack of devastating proportions upon the community and first responders," the Garfield County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.
The man was found before the park opened to the public, and his death wasn't related to any of the rides or exhibits at the park. It wasn't clear how he died. Based upon a preliminary investigation, it appeared he illegally entered the park after hours.]

[At a news conference Monday, Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario said the man was found in a women's bathroom, near a stall. The suspect's motive was unclear, but Vallario said there was writing in a bathroom stall that said, "I'm not a killer. I just wanted to get into the caves." The sheriff could not confirm whether the man wrote that.

The Garfield County Coroner's Office identified the man as Diego Barajas Medina and said he died of a gunshot wound. The coroner's office said it was investigating the death as a suicide.
The suspect lived with his mom and brother. Vallario said authorities made contact with the family to be able to search his room. He said they couldn't find any history of a criminal record and that the suspect was "completely under the radar." ]

This is so messed up. I don't even know what to say other than I love Glenwood Springs and pray that this doesn't change a thing there. I am a thankful to God that no one was hurt and I am a "whatever" for the dead man. Grateful he was the only one hurt.

Well, thank you for not taking out innocent people along with you. I’m sorry for you pain.
We often say in the mass murder cases....'why didn't you just kill yourself if life was so bad'. And, to your point, thankfully this guy did. I guess he deserves some credit for that. I wonder what was going on in his life.

Update: This story has been updated with information from a Monday afternoon press conference

Law enforcement in Colorado is investigating after they said a "heavily armed" man was found dead inside an amusement park over the weekend "wearing body armor" with "multiple improvised explosive devices" on him.

Authorities on Monday evening identified the man as Diego Barajas Medina.

More of the story at link...

[...The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office said it found Barajas-Medina had not reached out to mental health services and did not appear to be linked to any extremist group.

Medina’s electronic devices, including phone and computer, were searched and detectives found he apparently visited websites discussing mass shootings.

“However, the investigation was unable to uncover any motive for Diego amassing such a lethal arsenal nor did it explain what happened to change his mind and why he did not follow through with whatever he was planning,” a news release read....]

[...The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office said it found Barajas-Medina had not reached out to mental health services and did not appear to be linked to any extremist group.

Medina’s electronic devices, including phone and computer, were searched and detectives found he apparently visited websites discussing mass shootings.

“However, the investigation was unable to uncover any motive for Diego amassing such a lethal arsenal nor did it explain what happened to change his mind and why he did not follow through with whatever he was planning,” a news release read....]
Wonder what they consider "extremist" groups?

Would they say that about Justin Mohn?

The 20-year-old's body was found in a bathroom surrounded by alcohol and weapons in a building that holds a ride with a 110-foot drop into caverns, investigators said. Officials found a message written on the bathroom wall that read: "I am not a killer, I just wanted to get into the caves."

The 20-year-old's body was found in a bathroom surrounded by alcohol and weapons in a building that holds a ride with a 110-foot drop into caverns, investigators said.
SBM
I was surprised to read that toxicology tests showed he had no alcohol or illegal drugs in his system, since the presence of alcohol surrounding him was widely reported, but the Facebook link above and a Denver Post article both noted the toxicology results. Maybe he brought alcohol with him to steel himself for whatever plan he had, but reconsidered while still sober?

Too bad he apparently didn't leave much for researchers to delve into the psyche of someone who apparently planned a mass shooting but did not follow through, compared to the manifestos of so many who do that are paraded online for others to amp themselves up on and who get so much more notoriety than the ones who go out quietly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeptemberDaffodil
Back