CO - James Holmes Trial Discussion - Begins April 27, 2015 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the prosecution showing with that video? I don't get it.

JH was behaving in a normal fashion. Trying to get his restraints off and it looked like he tried to break them too. Nothing out of the ordinary. I suppose many people try to get them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maisie..Shooting was July 2012 and this was about 2 months after the shooting. BTW~~ I was wrong about it being admissible :=( LOL But they can't unring THAT BELL can they!!
I wouldn't be surprised if def. calls for a Mistrial!!

yeah, good luck with the jury unhearing the 'smirk'! LOL
I have a feeling that there is a part left out, that the defense doesn't want us to know. Like, maybe smirking, & saying 'I was trying to get out of my shackles'. Goofy guy that he is. It was some statement said to the officer, that shows he was SANE. IMKO

I can't understand this whole 'disregard' what they just heard. We are humans with memory! How can we unhear something!

BBL~~~~~~ Must go to the bank and p/u a few things..:escape: :takeoff:

Hsing Tseng ‏@HsingTseng · 43m43 minutes ago
Brauchler asks just one question: is that camera hidden at all? Triska: It is pretty obviously a video camera. #TheaterShooting

I noticed that he looked directly at the camera---HE KNEW jmo :moo:

Here's a quick question. What would happen if a defendant refused to come to court for their trial. Would the trial go ahead without them present?

I've never seen that happen, but I have seen it when the defendant acted up badly & the judge had him taken out of court. He was handcuffed and put in a holding cell where the trial was shown on a closed-circuit TV so that he could (as was his right) watch the trial of course a deputy was nearby. So I suspect that the judge would order the same treatment for the def. who refused to go to court willingly. No biggie -- it certainly would only delay things for a few minutes.

I've never seen that happen, but I have seen it when the defendant acted up badly & the judge had him taken out of court. He was handcuffed and put in a holding cell where the trial was shown on a closed-circuit TV so that he could (as was his right) watch the trial of course a deputy was nearby. So I suspect that the judge would order the same treatment for the def. who refused to go to court willingly. No biggie -- it certainly would only delay things for a few minutes.

Thank you! I've also seen defendants wearing masks to stop them spitting. I don't think I would like to work in a courtroom!

you know there are a bunch of people posting on that Denver live feed & then they have defense attys. coming on to comment. I noticed from the beginning of the trial, those def. attys that comment are very biased. They have always poo-poo what the prosecutor is doing & why he's doing it! Then, listen to unbiased commentators or former prosecutors explain it & it makes perfect sense.
They had a def. atty commenting & really making fun of the prosecution for playing that tape. They say there is no reason for it. However, there is a reason. GB is trying to prove sanity. So he obviously brought that officer in to play the tape & question the officer because it showed sanity of jh!!! GB was going to ask the officer what jh did or said, that would prove sanity,BUT, the defense stopped the officer from telling the jury what jh did or said.
Just dropping it like that, sure it looks like it wasn't worth showing the video but, GB was stopped from further questioning. Had officer been allowed to tell jury what jh did or said, the reason he showed the video would've been clear. JMO

The problem is that there are thousands of people out there who appear like JH did when they meet with psychiatrists and other mental health providers. And only the tiniest percentage of them ever go on to do something like this.

No one expects people like JH or Elliott Rodgers or Adam Lanza or Kip Kinkel or the Colombine killers to do what they did. And there is a good reason for that - the odds that someone will do such a thing is infinitesimal. It would be odd if we walked around thinking that people we know might commit mass murder.

Looking at each of these killers after the fact, we see the signs and they look like red flags. But that is only with 20/20 hindsight. It all looks so clear in retrospect, but what family would ever think their child is going to go on a shooting rampage?

JH's family did not have any guns, nor does it sound like they had any reason to think their son would ever have a gun. Nor did he have a history of violence.

The confounding issue with these types of shooters is that prior to the shooting, most of them don't look that much different than many other people their age who have depression, social anxiety, etc. It isn't until they find a way to commit a shooting that they suddenly start to look different.

I personally cannot imagine that his parents would do nothing if they had any real sense that there could be something seriously wrong with JH. I mean, he was always socially awkward, and now he was in grad school. They probably thought that he was going to turn things around - similar to how Elliott Rodgers parents thought that about him going to school in Santa Barbara. They never had an inkling that he could be capable of something like this. For them to make the leap that he had expressed thoughts about "hating people" to him being an actual threat to others... I am not surprised they didn't.

Now, with all that... here is what I will say. Given that we are learning about how these shooters operate (sadly as more and more of these incidents occur)...I do think that families with young males who are presenting with these sorts of issues should start to consider that its possible that their child could do such a thing. Incredibly unlikely and rare, but possible. And if they have a child with clear social or mental health problems, they do need to make sure that child does not have access to guns.

In the case of Adam Lanza, his own family provided him with those guns. Same with Kip Kinkel. But Elliott Rodgers bought them without his parents' knowledge, as did JH.

When these kids are a bit older, out of the house, and have some independence, and access to some money, that is when it gets more difficult.

I wonder what would have happened if during the time he was amassing weapons if his parents had decided to drop in for a visit. For some reason, I can see JH telling them that he is just too busy with studying for exams, and turning them away.

Anyway, there are some interesting documents about Kip Kinkel you can read here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/kinkel/kip/ - it has the information about the counseling he was getting for anger problems - you can read the case notes from the psychologist who was treating him prior to the shooting here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/kinkel/trial/hnotes.html

I agree that only a small percentage of those with similar symptoms go on to commit mass murders like this. The key factor for me is specifically that he communicated homicidal thoughts to the doctor. Strong family history of mental illness + homicidal thoughts + early 20 yo male =red flag to me as a nurse. Maybe she did reach out to him and we don't know about it, but I just can't understand her not doing a little more digging to see what was going on with him.

you know there are a bunch of people posting on that Denver live feed & then they have defense attys. coming on to comment. I noticed from the beginning of the trial, those def. attys that comment are very biased. They have always poo-poo what the prosecutor is doing & why he's doing it! Then, listen to unbiased commentators or former prosecutors explain it & it makes perfect sense.
They had a def. atty commenting & really making fun of the prosecution for playing that tape. They say there is no reason for it. However, there is a reason. GB is trying to prove sanity. So he obviously brought that officer in to play the tape & question the officer because it showed sanity of jh!!! GB was going to ask the officer what jh did or said, that would prove sanity,BUT, the defense stopped the officer from telling the jury what jh did or said.
Just dropping it like that, sure it looks like it wasn't worth showing the video but, GB was stopped from further questioning. Had officer been allowed to tell jury what jh did or said, the reason he showed the video would've been clear. JMO

I was watching that. I don't really like the attorney who was on today. He is very sarcastic. I can see why this video was introduced. And I can see that JH was acting very normally. The jury will have seen that too.

I get really irritated when the defence team object to everything. I understand that JH deserves a fair trial but they can't stop the prosecution from putting their case! Every objection smacks of desperation!

Anyone know when court is due back from break? Thanks.

Anyone know when court is due back from break? Thanks.

The Gold Patrol ® ‏@thegoldpatrol · 1h1 hour ago
#theatershooting

Lunch recess. Back at 3:40 EST

but who knows.....

My boss has already agreed to take over for me if I can't handle Ashley Moser's testimony. I don't know if I even want to try. anica.padilla 7NEWS

I'm not looking forward to hearing that testimony either! But I plan to be loaded with klenex.....

The Gold Patrol ® ‏@thegoldpatrol · 1h1 hour ago
#theatershooting

Lunch recess. Back at 3:40 EST

but who knows.....
Thank you my friend. That should be about now. I missed the video of JH falling off his bed. Is it worth going back to view?

few seconds ago

Court should resume any minute now. anica.padilla
7News

--------Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 1m1 minute ago
Judge will allow prosecutors to show Veronica's photo during Moser testimony but only for 3 seconds.#theatershooting ---bbm-------------------------------

-----------------------------------
Hsing Tseng ‏@HsingTseng · 1m1 minute ago
#TheaterShooting judge will allow Veronica's photo to be shown during Ashley Moser's testimony, but for "literally 3 seconds."

Glad it is allowed in, but what is this - snapchat??

Thank you my friend. That should be about now. I missed the video of JH falling off his bed. Is it worth going back to view?

That one wasn't shown--this one was of him in a holding cell waiting for a trial in Sept. 2012

Exhibits should be available shortly!!!!! (from yesterday--google chats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member