Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

From that article:
"Police believe Jessica's killer had possession of the cross."

Ok, that makes it an even more important clue to me. I was originally thinking that the importance could be questionable (ie: it was found on a street near Jessica's home - could be important or could be anyone's who just lost it). However, the way this is stated makes me believe this cross was found somewhere that the police believe it is definately related to the crime - ie: in the backpack, on or under Jessica's remains, etc. JMO

I'd love to know just where LE found this cross, and whether or not they believe it was purposefully planted, or accidentally lost.

But, of course, LE is seeking the public's help in identifying the former wearer or owner.

So, what's the possibility the cross is a red herring planted by the murderer?

I wonder if it might have been in the field where her body was found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So let's start a list of what we have so far (feel free to quote and add on)

1) cross is 1 inch by 1.5 inches
2) cross has a hole for possible necklace chain or cord
3) cross is offset
4) cross has three slashes on the front
5) cross does not appear to have any wearing by the hole where the cord goes

Kavya01:
6) cross has three straight random? zigzag pattern making slashes on back.
7) The cross is crudely made. There are un-sanded kerf marks on the inside curves where it was cut. There are chips in the base where the wood was cut too quickly.(I work with wood, so I recognized the errors in how it was made).

I have read that some think Patridge Park is haunted and has a history. Is it the kind of place a person would leave a religious token? I visit a labyrinth in NC. People leave tokens there like stones, coins and a cross would not be unusual.
I was wondering if it could have been a coincidence that it was near the crime scene.
My guess is that it was intentionally left by the perp.

Look at the three marks, the wood looks soft and the marks look recent. Does not look like it was made with the marks.

I hope the cross was found somewhere besides in the backpack, because if it was in the backpack it may be a random thing Jessica herself picked up off the schoolbus floor or was given in school, and her parents might not have even known it. (I'm saying this because I have a fifth grader and I have cleaned out her bookbag and found a plastic fake mustache, a broken bracelet, and a stone with "love" carved on it, all of which were found or given to her.)
I do trust that LE has a good reason for knowing it s connected to the perp, I just had to play devils advocate.

From that article:

Ok, that makes it an even more important clue to me. I was originally thinking that the importance could be questionable (ie: it was found on a street near Jessica's home - could be important or could be anyone's who just lost it). However, the way this is stated makes me believe this cross was found somewhere that the police believe it is definately related to the crime - ie: in the backpack, on or under Jessica's remains, etc. JMO

That tells me that LE believes the cross was purposefully left by the murderer. The cat and mouse game has been ON from the beginning. Sick, sadistic, murderer.

I carry a cross with me. Although I do happen to be a believer, that isn't why I carry this particular cross. It belonged to someone I loved who has died and I carry it as a reminder of this person. A "love token" so to speak. So even if someone recognizes it as one that looks like one that belongs to someone they know who is now deceased, I would still report that on the tip line. It may lead to whomever recieved the cross after the loved one passed. Ok, maybe I am just thinking too much... :)

Originally Posted by nursebeeme

3) cross is offset

6) The cross is crudely made. There are un-sanded kerf marks on the inside curves where it was cut. There are chips in the base where the wood was cut too quickly.(I work with wood, so I recognized the errors in how it was made).

7) cross has three straight random? zigzag pattern making slashes on back.

8). cross is made out of a reasonably uncommon wood

I have read that some think Patridge Park is haunted and has a history. Is it the kind of place a person would leave a religious token? I visit a labyrinth in NC. People leave tokens there like stones, coins and a cross would not be unusual.
I was wondering if it could have been a coincidence that it was near the crime scene.
My guess is that it was intentionally left by the perp.

We may never know that answer :-( but if it is in fact true it may suggest the perp has some remorse. It could also suggest a psychopath who has some religious issues. Never any way to say for sure.

3) cross is offset

- on the other side of the cross, a zig-zag pattern is carved
- the lower portion of the zig-zag pattern extends below the horizontal portion of the cross

Completely absolutely O/T
Thanks for this website! You all will understand my need to share... I just heard a crash in my garage, went out in there and caught a glimpse of an extremely large black snake. Came back in, got my nerves under control, and now am having a horrendous thunderstorm. If it weren't for WS I would feel totally freaked - I think the only people who could understand my extreme psychological distress right now are you folks. This case reeks of evil, and I am not a believer, nor superstitious, but I have to say, I just had one of those totally chilling "this is too weird" moments.

Regarding the crosses, hope they are checking on Etsy.com for similar crosses sold. Seems like a craft someone would sell on Etsy.

I immediately went to 'The Find' and then 'Etsy'. Although I found many wooden cross pendants and or key chains, I didn't see an exact match to cross LE is asking to match. It could be a one of a kind cross or someone incised the three verticle bars on it theirself. For that matter, someone could have carved their own cross.

From that article:

So if you were innocent, and you owned this, and you couldn't prove where you were, would you tell anyone? I think they should have released this as an item of interest, instead.

I located a reference to the off set shape of the cited cross:
Search Google Images "Handmade Wooden Crosses"
This description from a UK website. I will relocate and post.
"A comfort cross, or a holding cross, as it is sometimes called, is an asymmetric cross that is made to fit ergonomically into the palm of one's hand and is used during prayer. It is thought that the holding cross is based on an ancient design found in ancient European chapels. Although the origin of the holding/comfort cross tradition is not known, it is thought that it dates back to the early Christians. Holding crosses are made out of many different types of wood..."

The cross... any ideas on what type of wood was used? Walnut?

This particular cross gives off a home-made flavor to me. It's so off-set, someone slipped with the blade and finished it regardless.

I doubt an artisan would have been able to command much for such a crooked cross. JMO.

Crosses for wearing come in all varieties. Some are crude, wood, metal, I have seen one made with nails. It's just the style. I in no way think the perp made this cross himself.

Look at the three marks, the wood looks soft and the marks look recent. Does not look like it was made with the marks.

Guessing that the 3 vertical marks on the cross represent the Christian trinity--father, son, and holy ghost.

Someone, if not dozens of people, are going to recognize this cross.

I would not be surprised to learn that the murderer left it in the backpack or with her remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelinazoomazooma