CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally think Jessica was killed by someone unknown to her, especially if this is the same guy who attacked the jogger. I think he was probably trolling areas near elementary schools that morning and poor Jessica was the first little girl he saw by herself, with the streets free and clear of any witnesses at that moment. No reason he would have to know about her home life, her mom's schedule, etc...he just wanted a victim and there she was. Bless her heart.

where else is DNA taken? where would someone's DNA be on file if they haven't committed a crime.
doctors offices? no - too expensive?
colleges? I have no idea.
jobs? like drug testing? no?
genetic testing? do they test the fathers?
ohhh, how about paternity? can LE/FBI scan those DNA tests against the DNA they have?

I am not an expert, I believe they can get a warrant for any "stored DNA" but my observation is they usually take the DNA from the crime scene and then match it to their suspect or person of interest from a sample once that person is asked for one or required to give one, or in some cases wait for the suspect to discard a soda can, cigarette, etc.
It's getting late, I'm nit sure I answered your question very well :(

I'm a light skinned "Hispanic" with green eyes, where do I fit in?
White guys can have brown blue green or hazel eyes
Latino guys can have brown blue green or hazel eyes

I don't mean to sound snarky, but are we really having this conversation?

I'm just saying that I don't understand the hispanic reference. Light skinned people come in all races, not just hispanic ... but the discussion has repeatedly gone to light skinned hispanics. It makes no sense to me unless there are only two races in Westminster Colorado: caucasian & hispanic.

At the same time, I trying to think of what race, other than caucasian, has brown hair.

where else is DNA taken? where would someone's DNA be on file if they haven't committed a crime.
doctors offices? no - too expensive?
colleges? I have no idea.
jobs? like drug testing? no?
genetic testing? do they test the fathers?
ohhh, how about paternity? can LE/FBI scan those DNA tests against the DNA they have?

I don't think DNA is on file unless it has to be. Possibly paternity, but would that be added to a database? I suppose it might. But no, your DNA is not taken at the doctors or at college (unless you're a conspiracy theorist...)

I'm just saying that I don't understand the hispanic reference. Light skinned people come in all races, not just hispanic ... but the discussion has repeatedly gone to light skinned hispanics. It makes no sense to me unless there are only two races in Westminster Colorado: caucasian & hispanic.

At the same time, I trying to think of what race, other than caucasian, has brown hair.

I think it is from new articles. I posted one earlier where it said that the suspect was Hispanic.

I am not an expert, I believe they can get a warrant for any "stored DNA" but my observation is they usually take the DNA from the crime scene and then match it to their suspect or person of interest from a sample once that person is asked for one or required to give one, or in some cases wait for the suspect to discard a soda can, cigarette, etc.
It's getting late, I'm nit sure I answered your question very well :(

I think you answered it very well ... my only question is: who is they?

I totally think Jessica was killed by someone unknown to her, especially if this is the same guy who attacked the jogger. I think he was probably trolling areas near elementary schools that morning and poor Jessica was the first little girl he saw by herself, with the streets free and clear of any witnesses at that moment. No reason he would have to know about her home life, her mom's schedule, etc...he just wanted a victim and there she was. Bless her heart.

I wonder, though, if perhaps after his foiled attempt with the jogger if he was obsessing over the thought of being successful he next time... and if he is someone who knows JR's mom and heard her visiting about her routine, Jessica walking to school, etc., he might have then thought "Wow - an opportunity, and she's small enough I can probably succeed this time."

Just a possibility...

The biggest thing about this case is do we really know what the facts are? Reports contridictory, was her body in a bag or on bags? One bag or multiple bags,

What are the actual known non questionable facts? Where the bookbag was found, where her body was found.

I hesitate to post unconfirmed rumors, but I know everyone is looking at every angle, so I'm going to do it anyway. REMEMBER, THIS IS WEB RUMOR ONLY AND JUST FOR DISCUSSION REGARDING THE POSSIBILITY!!! It is claimed by "sources" that the abduction site was the open area near the school.
Any thoughts?

Like close enough where it wouldn't make sense to take a ride? In that case I would have to say she got in the car with someone she knew or had reason. I've always wondered if this sicko told her her dog was missing or something and she needed to come look for it. Someone who knew she had one.

I've heard that too, that she was taken close to the school and it would explain why people thought they saw her 'at school' that day even though technically she wasn't. Someone's parent who just dropped their child off?

For some reason, I keep going back to people her mother knows.

Somebody who knew her mom worked the night shift, and that her routine, after a night shift, was to sleep all day, and who knew her daughter walked a part of the way to school alone.

Not, in any way, shape, or form that her mother had anything to do with it, just that the mom may have visited innocently and casually at work, maybe even online to someone, about her routine, about Jessica wanting to walk to school as an act of independence, etc..

Definitely possible. It had snowed. If there had been an immediate response her footprints could have been followed. Tire tracks may have been evident etc..... It's almost as if the perp knew that by the time anyone knew she was missing that evidence would have melted.

Of course the flip is that the perp couldn't have known that the school wouldn't have called every last emergency contact on the list or that whoever she was supposed to meet that morning wouldn't have immediately rushed her house to discover her whereabouts.

He's arrogant and gutsy, the jogger attack, leaving the backpack on the sidewalk, etc...

So it's difficult to say.

According to the scanner-I get the confusion about what day she walked with him and what day he drove. But the friend J also said conflictingly that she walked into the school and talked to a teacher's aide AND that she walked with him to school but didn't go in. Another female friend said she saw her walking to school, stop outside the door and leave, thus the search at Rec Park. She was spotted in the park with her purple pillow toy which happened to be at the mothers house at that time. The scanner that caused the police initially to look at places she was spotted turned out to be nothing at all. But that scanner thread was just opposite of what we know now.

Where that many people who the cops talked to on Day 1 completely wrong?

A couple of thoughts on the scanner:
We need to keep in mind that the scanner rewind from when JR was reported missing contains the very first information gathering that happened. PD was talking to several people, getting lots of information. In the panic of knowing a child is missing and the PD is questioning you (a general you, not you in particular) it would be easy to get a lot of incomplete or conflicting information.
We don't normally even hear scanner speak - it is a way for PD to give info back and forth to each other. It isn't meant to be a way of giving information to the public. That is why they investigate info before holding pressers. Not all initial information, given in the "heat of the moment" will be what it seems to be at the beginning.
Secondly, for reasons stated above, it may seem the police dismiss an issue quickly (for example: the aunt's boyfriend). However, investigations are not play by play on the scanners. I personally am very sure the police with a missing (and later found murdered) child have VERY thoroughly investigated every person that would possibly fit in the timeframe/area of JR the morning she was abducted (those they are aware of obviously).
So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get caught up on the scanner rewind as proof of whether or not the PD investigated someone before ruling them out. Not only is it their profession/job on the line, I think it is clear from the pressers that these men and woman have their hearts and souls in finding the killer of JR.

Brown hair can be found on Caucasian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Asian, Native American, and African American people.

One of the reports of K Lake said "Hispanic", (media), LE released that as "light skinned", so that's where the question came in. I think the easy answer is IGNORE RACE AND GO BY THE DESCRIPTION as LE released it.

Hopefully it will never reach that point...one thing I think this case has going for it is that they found her body, they have evidence, and for once the suspect is a stranger or at least not a family member. LE has continued to communicate with the public. As opposed to so many cases where it appears like nothing is actually happening after the first week and the average person loses interest bc it looks like the mom did it...

I feel like cases where there is a known suspect (even if not named officially by LE) have an "easier" time staying in the media because they can report on everything this "suspect" did. If the "suspect" is a parent, then they are almost obligated to do some media interviews, which increases the amount of attention and discussion for a case. I feel like Lindsey Baum or Elizabeth & Lyric's cases went quieter in the media much quicker than say, Kyron Horman's case.

SmoothOperator, there's another one you can add to your list.

June 2012 - 8 year-old girl abducted and released about 20 minutes later.
http://www.gazette.com/articles/kidnapping-140527-around-victim.html
Just now having a chance to again catch back up...thanks confusion for posting this info I will add it on.. I am quite certain there very well may be others that i missed as well so anyone/everyone please lemme know if you all think of or come across other dates and incidents that I dont have on it..

As always these type timelines are always better and more accurate when as many as possible contribute to it, point out mistakes or anything you feel needs added, edited, omitted, etc to our timeline regarding abductions..

Just a note; not everybody has a 3 day weekend on Columbus Day. We didn't at my job.

Very true but with the little info we have it is definitely interesting that both attacks happened on Federal Holiday weekends. Same can be said for Memorial Day, not everyone has it off either.

A couple of thoughts on the scanner:
We need to keep in mind that the scanner rewind from when JR was reported missing contains the very first information gathering that happened. PD was talking to several people, getting lots of information. In the panic of knowing a child is missing and the PD is questioning you (a general you, not you in particular) it would be easy to get a lot of incomplete or conflicting information.
We don't normally even hear scanner speak - it is a way for PD to give info back and forth to each other. It isn't meant to be a way of giving information to the public. That is why they investigate info before holding pressers. Not all initial information, given in the "heat of the moment" will be what it seems to be at the beginning.
Secondly, for reasons stated above, it may seem the police dismiss an issue quickly (for example: the aunt's boyfriend). However, investigations are not play by play on the scanners. I personally am very sure the police with a missing (and later found murdered) child have VERY thoroughly investigated every person that would possibly fit in the timeframe/area of JR the morning she was abducted (those they are aware of obviously).
So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get caught up on the scanner rewind as proof of whether or not the PD investigated someone before ruling them out. Not only is it their profession/job on the line, I think it is clear from the pressers that these men and woman have their hearts and souls in finding the killer of JR.

Well Done!!! Thank you :great:

Definitely possible. It had snowed. If there had been an immediate response her footprints could have been followed. Tire tracks may have been evident etc..... It's almost as if the perp knew that by the time anyone knew she was missing that evidence would have melted.

Of course the flip is that the perp couldn't have known that the school wouldn't have called every last emergency contact on the list or that whoever she was supposed to meet that morning wouldn't have immediately rushed her house to discover her whereabouts.

He's arrogant and gutsy, the jogger attack, leaving the backpack on the sidewalk, etc...

So it's difficult to say.

But if her mother had ever spoken about turning off her cell so she could sleep, in front of anyone, people would perhaps think it was a perfect opportunity.

If it's a single male he likely doesn't have the broad perspective about additional emergency contact numbers, etc..

I'm just envisioning how parents (myself included) are when it comes to visiting about our children when we are in the presence of people we have no reason to distrust. Sitting around in the break room shooting the breeze about our kids... about our phones, and whether the ringers are loud enough, and how we put it on vibrate when we go to sleep, etc... just casual, everyday conversation, but the sort of thing a predator would analyze for opportunity.

Native American, asian, caucasian that likes the tanning booth :D

I think it is from new articles. I posted one earlier where it said that the suspect was Hispanic.

I don't know how any article could report that the man that attacked a jogger in Ketner Park is Hispanic. That has never been reported. What we know is that the woman in the park was attacked by a man that stalked the jogging trail, attacked her from behind with a chemically soaked cloth, and ran away when she was getting the upper hand in the attempted abduction. He is short, wears a baseball capt. to look younger, has brown hair and sometimes wears wire-frame type glasses ... that brown hair thing, short, medium build, jeans, wooden cross on a necklace ,,, does that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025