CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kkdj , I hope all locals are paying close attention to this horrendous crime. I know i wouldn't allow my children out alone. Do you know if local schools have held safety classes? Tia :moo:

I know that many schools here in the Denver area on a "fall break" starting tomorrow. I have to admit that my children have not been outside at all since the Amber Alert, and having them home tomorrow (by my side) will be a big relief. The schools have already been very careful lately with sending home letters to parents, notifying us of each abduction attempt or suspicious person. Living in the Columbine district, we already have intense security (including PERSONAL phone notification of late students-going down list of all emergency contacts until child is accounted for). Security guards are at the entrance full time, all entrances are locked down at bell, no one gets in without "buzzing in" to front desk and having door unlocked remotely, passing security cameras and showing proper ID. It may seem to outsiders like a prison set-up, but here (where I am) it is the norm and I have noticed that this individual case has not caused further alarm by school officials- perhaps because the security is already firm(or appears to be). I know we dont want to scare our kids anymore than we have to, but the parents I know are certainly NOT taking chances, behind the scenes(and the kids do notice).

Thanks but explain to me how this will help? It's late and apparently my concentration and comprehension is poor tonight. Thanks- From above referenced article the statement below is what I'm asking about.

Police said photo radar vans – normally used to detect and photograph speeding vehicles – were being used to monitor some streets around the girl’s house.
Sorry ... I am not an expert in this area :blushing:

Just posted what seemed to be a fresh article... that's all.

I know that many schools here in the Denver area on a "fall break" starting tomorrow. I have to admit that my children have not been outside at all since the Amber Alert, and having them home tomorrow (by my side) will be a big relief. The schools have already been very careful lately with sending home letters to parents, notifying us of each abduction attempt or suspicious person. Living in the Columbine district, we already have intense security (including PERSONAL phone notification of late students-going down list of all emergency contacts until child is accounted for). Security guards are at the entrance full time, all entrances are locked down at bell, no one gets in without "buzzing, passing security cameras and showing proper ID. It may seem to outsiders like a prison set-up, but here (where I am) it is the norm and I have noticed that this individual case has not caused further alarm by school officials- perhaps because the security is already firm(or appears to be). I know we dont want to scare our kids anymore than we have to, but the parents I know are certainly NOT taking chances, behind the scenes(and the kids do notice).

I know when my kids were little they loved fall break and enjoyed playing outside. I really hope your local children are aware but not living in fear.
It Sounds like your schools are doing everthing right to protect the students .
Forgot to add I appreciate you being here. It's an honor when locals post...I'm sorry it's under such dire circumstances.

Sorry ... I am not an expert in this area :blushing:

Just posted what seemed to be a fresh article... that's all.

That' s ok Darkman. I was just curious and wondered if it could see inside the vehicles????:what::innocent:

Thanks but explain to me how this will help? It's late and apparently my concentration and comprehension is poor tonight. Thanks- From above referenced article the statement below is what I'm asking about.

Police said photo radar vans – normally used to detect and photograph speeding vehicles – were being used to monitor some streets around the girl’s house.

I'm totally, totally guessing here, I have absolutely no links to back me up.

I think that the body that was found was dismembered and not by scavengers. If I am correct, then the natural next question is 'where are the rest of the remains?'

My theory is that LE thinks there's a chance the perp is still in possession of some of the remains and will plant them somewhere else. If so, then the photo/radar vans can record the license plates of all traffic from the area around Jessica's house, which LE may be able to use to narrow down the suspect pool.

My next guess is that the remains were found in a condition that suggests that they were not in Pattridge Park (hope I spelled that correctly) since last Friday. For instance, they may show signs of having been frozen in a large freezer. Since lows in the area have only been in the low 20s, if the remains that were found were colder than that, it would be a clear indicator they had been frozen (most home freezers are set somewhere between 0 F and 5 F).

Even if the perpetrator no longer possesses any the remains, just knowing that LE is recording the movements of his vehicle, even though it is with everyone else's vehicles, may make him nervous and more likely to make a mistake.

Final speculation: if another child is attacked or abducted, the photo/radar vans might be used as above to narrow down the suspect pool. I think this is a long shot but it is a possibility.

I know that many schools here in the Denver area on a "fall break" starting tomorrow. I have to admit that my children have not been outside at all since the Amber Alert, and having them home tomorrow (by my side) will be a big relief...
I know when my kids were little they loved fall break and enjoyed playing outside. I really hope your local children are aware but not living in fear.
It Sounds like your schools are doing everthing right to protect the students .
Forgot to add I appreciate you being here. It's an honor when locals post...I'm sorry it's under such dire circumstances.

Thank You so much for the encouragement, this is my first time ever participating in a forum. I am so amazed at the people here- kind of re-affirms my hope in the human race after seeing this unfold. People are so caring to complete strangers, and I think we all need to know that good still prevails.
As for the local kids- my heart is breaking. Children are so easily affected by fear- but what other tool can better prepare them if they do meet this evil when we can't be with them? I am constantly asking myself lately how much fear is "enough" and to what point are we damaging our kids and making each one of them victims, scarred by Jessica's abductor? So many PERMANENT victims in one senseless act.
IM not so good at this editing thing-but added a comment below:-)

Where was this story about the dogs tracking the backpack back and forth? I've heard it on here a few times but never saw it anywhere else?

This video was referenced in thread #2:

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1884594515001

The bloodhounds are mentioned several times after the 4:40 mark. The reporter initially states that after the bloodhounds got a scent from the backpack, they went down Indiana Ave. toward Superior Elementary School and a while later they were brought back up the street. He again mentioned the bloodhounds going up and down Indiana Ave., so I'm not sure where the trail ended.

I want to add that I have never wished so badly that a mother could have her sweet baby back. Watching Jessica's family beg for their baby makes my wonder how anyone can go on normally, with everyday tasks, and not want to stop living and FIND THE MONSTER that took her. But I look at my own kids and I want to cry in relief that they dont know the whole story, and they still have their innocence. I'm afraid that Jessica's predator might gain satisfaction from knowing he did even more harm, that he/she was happy knowing they were able to get into the nightmares of a whole community. I don't want him to reach any more kids, not even in their minds.

I know that many schools here in the Denver area on a "fall break" starting tomorrow. I have to admit that my children have not been outside at all since the Amber Alert, and having them home tomorrow (by my side) will be a big relief...

Thank You so much for the encouragement, this is my first time ever participating in a forum. I am so amazed at the people here- kind of re-affirms my hope in the human race after seeing this unfold. People are so caring to complete strangers, and I think we all need to know that good still prevails.
As for the local kids- my heart is breaking. Children are so easily affected by fear- but what other tool can better prepare them if they do meet this evil when we can't be with them? I am constantly asking myself lately how much fear is "enough" and to what point are we damaging our kids and making each one of them victims, scarred by Jessica's abductor? So many PERMANENT victims in one senseless act.
This is a wonderful forum . These folks work tirelessly on missing person cases. It's hard honey to know how much fear to teach our children about strangers, and crime in general. All my younguns are thankfully grown .....but crimes against children seem to occur more often and now I'm worrying about grandchildren! I think you have to be very careful as a parent..be a bit over protective..and listen to your instincts .
I hope this perp is arrested and soon. :moo:

I want to add that I have never wished so badly that a mother could have her sweet baby back. Watching Jessica's family beg for their baby makes my wonder how anyone can go on normally, with everyday tasks, and not want to stop living and FIND THE MONSTER that took her. But I look at my own kids and I want to cry in relief that they dont know the whole story, and they still have their innocence. I'm afraid that Jessica's predator might gain satisfaction from knowing he did even more harm, that he/she was happy knowing they were able to get into the nightmares of a whole community. I don't want him to reach any more kids, not even in their minds.

Oh goodness, I know. I watched a film clip of Js mom walking down the street with friends on either side. :please: I pray for her.....I'm afraid I'd go insane.

This video was referenced in thread #2:

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1884594515001

The bloodhounds are mentioned several times after the 4:40 mark. The reporter initially states that after the bloodhounds got a scent from the backpack, they went down Indiana Ave. toward Superior Elementary School and a while later they were brought back up the street. He again mentioned the bloodhounds going up and down Indiana Ave., so I'm not sure where the trail ended.

Thank you for finding this!

Morning all,

I just read the FBI profile and there was nothing I didn't figure. Let's see what today brings.

Goodnight all-it's past 4am here so I guess it's "good morning". My kid's will be up in a few hours and ill need to pretend to be well rested:-).

This is a wonderful forum . These folks work tirelessly on missing person cases. It's hard honey to know how much fear to teach our children about strangers, and crime in general. All my younguns are thankfully grown .....but crimes against children seem to occur more often and now I'm worrying about grandchildren! I think you have to be very careful as a parent..be a bit over protective..and listen to your instincts .
I hope this perp is arrested and soon. :moo:

Every case I follow, and their are a great deal of them, the ones concerning children, I make sure my children, girl 12 and boy 14 are aware of the child missing.

Without giving them the gruesome details, they are told of the circumstances, and what is happening, and they are always asking if they have been found.

I also make sure they realize this is the reason, in today's world, Mom and Dad, NEVER let you out of our sight, and their told to never talk with or have a stranger approach them, and to yell and scream and kick and fight, if it happens to them.

They are out of our sight, mainly when in school, but even when their in front of the house, they are closely monitored.

I know it can happen, in an instance, they or one of them, could be taken, right out in front of our house, but we at least try and inform them what to do if that is happening.

We (mom and I) have a carry permit, and we always have a gun on us at all times.

That's the best we can do.

I'm totally, totally guessing here, I have absolutely no links to back me up.

I think that the body that was found was dismembered and not by scavengers. If I am correct, then the natural next question is 'where are the rest of the remains?'

My theory is that LE thinks there's a chance the perp is still in possession of some of the remains and will plant them somewhere else. If so, then the photo/radar vans can record the license plates of all traffic from the area around Jessica's house, which LE may be able to use to narrow down the suspect pool.

My next guess is that the remains were found in a condition that suggests that they were not in Pattridge Park (hope I spelled that correctly) since last Friday. For instance, they may show signs of having been frozen in a large freezer. Since lows in the area have only been in the low 20s, if the remains that were found were colder than that, it would be a clear indicator they had been frozen (most home freezers are set somewhere between 0 F and 5 F).

Even if the perpetrator no longer possesses any the remains, just knowing that LE is recording the movements of his vehicle, even though it is with everyone else's vehicles, may make him nervous and more likely to make a mistake.

Final speculation: if another child is attacked or abducted, the photo/radar vans might be used as above to narrow down the suspect pool. I think this is a long shot but it is a possibility.

GrainneDhu, that's chilling! If that's what LE suspects, then the perp most likely lives alone as in similar cases. It would be hard to conceal human body parts in the freezer from other family members. :shocked2:

I wonder if there is anyone new to Jessica's neighborhood? It would be especially strange that someone who had lived there a long time would suddenly decide to do something like this. Of course, they would need to study people's schedules and habits for a while, but school had only be in session a few weeks so the routines of neighborhood families had changed within the last couple months - which apparently was enough time for the perp.

I do think the confusion about whether the neighbor boy walked or got a ride that morning is a little odd, as well as the supposed sightings of Jessica by several people at school. But, it is easy to confuse one day with another when you're settled into a routine. I worked at the front desk at my last job, so I saw coworkers as they arrived at work each day. At times someone would ask me if a certain coworker was in and I would say that I remembered him coming in that morning, only to realize later that I was thinking of the previous day. And it didn't have to be a typical day to lose track of who was there and who wasn't. So, I can easily see children making that mistake, and even adults.

If you are correct about the perp, GrainneDhu, then I expect the perp to be a young, single male and a loner, who has moved into the neighborhood within the past year. Or, possibly an older single male who recently moved to the neighborhood but, if so, I hope LE looks into unsolved cases of other missing/ murdered children in his former neighborhood(s). LE may be able to not only solve this case, but other cases too if they look at the former residences of newer, single male neighbors and find a pattern of unsolved missing/ murdered children cases left in their tracks.

I like how the elementary schools in TN handle the kids being dropped off and picked up at school. Where I lived you drove up to the front door and a teacher took your kids out of the vehicle and when you went to pick your child up a teach put your kids in the vehicle and only if they knew who you were.

Same here in South West Florida!

We pull up in a line we show id (DL) they copy number take childs name they have a walkie talkie and say the childs name as we pull up my child is there a teacher opens the car door and say is that your mom or dad or whomever and he says yea and off we go. It takes some time to get thru the line but a well worth wait!

I am thinking on the lines of the poster who thinks the perp still has some parts of the body and to take it further, I have to wonder what was in that backpack and bag left on the street. It seems they are needing to do dna testing to identify the body which makes to sick to my stomach to think about.

As for the perp, someone who maybe recently lost their job, possibly had loose connections to the family, and who knew Jessica's routine. If it's someone who is employed, then people working odd shifts or called in sick or had that day off. Maybe even someone that worked the same shift as the mom but my mind is running wild so maybe not.

Strange that no one saw or heard anything if she was in fact only going a short distance to the park, because the kids would have still been there where she would meet them. The kids father (and forgive me, I cannot keep up on these posts) does strike a nerve with me for some reason. Too many coincidences to suit me, but he could be eliminated simply by being at work shortly after the time she disappeared.

Sick world we live in.

I am thinking on the lines of the poster who thinks the perp still has some parts of the body and to take it further, I have to wonder what was in that backpack and bag left on the street. It seems they are needing to do dna testing to identify the body which makes to sick to my stomach to think about.

As for the perp, someone who maybe recently lost their job, possibly had loose connections to the family, and who knew Jessica's routine. If it's someone who is employed, then people working odd shifts or called in sick or had that day off. Maybe even someone that worked the same shift as the mom but my mind is running wild so maybe not.

Strange that no one saw or heard anything if she was in fact only going a short distance to the park, because the kids would have still been there where she would meet them. The kids father (and forgive me, I cannot keep up on these posts) does strike a nerve with me for some reason. Too many coincidences to suit me, but he could be eliminated simply by being at work shortly after the time she disappeared.

Sick world we live in.

Did Mom drive to work or did she ride with someone. Did someone drop her off.
I think its someone very close and knew Little Jess walked alone.

It was the walk from her house to the park that was the danger.

Kkdj , I hope all locals are paying close attention to this horrendous crime. I know i wouldn't allow my children out alone. Do you know if local schools have held safety classes? Tia :moo:

I'm not trying to heap even more fear into anyone, but the truth is, sometimes they aren't even safe at school, unfortunately. A former staff member at my kids' school is now in prison as a child RSO, and there are numerous other stories out there like that.

Since we can't watch them 24/7, you're right that we need to educate our children. I've posted this numerous times, but a great book - a must-read IMO - is Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane) by Gavin de Becker (he also wrote The Gift of Fear which is about following your instincts when your hinky meter goes up):

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Protecting-Gift-Keeping-Children-Teenagers/dp/0440509009"]Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane): Gavin de Becker: 9780440509004: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BSmWLWbZL.@@AMEPARAM@@51BSmWLWbZL[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck