GUILTY CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just went back and re-listened to an episode with Norris’ interview to make sure I was remembering this right. He does mention it as well, so I agree I don’t think that can be used to show guilt.
Half the town probably knew this detail, just takes one person to tell another and soon it spreads. I see no solid evidence Pankey committed this murder, only an ex wife's comments of his interest in the case and a clue about the crime that many probably knew from gossip.
This does not make him a murderer and I agree that Norris makes a better suspect.

So, I am new to this forum or any other for that matter. But I was so aggravated about the Steve panky case involving jonelle matthews murder and the lack of proof in his conviction. Wondering if there is something I missed. Granted the guy is very strange but thankfully that's not a crime. Does anyone know if he had an alibi? Or what the jailhouse informant got out of the deal?

So, I am new to this forum or any other for that matter. But I was so aggravated about the Steve panky case involving jonelle matthews murder and the lack of proof in his conviction. Wondering if there is something I missed. Granted the guy is very strange but thankfully that's not a crime. Does anyone know if he had an alibi? Or what the jailhouse informant got out of the deal?
Welcome to Websleuths @Cyndip!
He wrote his own unsolicited alibi letter. I don’t know if the jailhouse informant received anything. Maybe someone else can weigh in. I just learned of this case from the recent Dateline episode.

In 2013, Pankey allegedly sent an “alibi” document to law enforcement, claiming that he was in California on Dec. 21, 1984, the morning after Jonelle went missing. “The document contained false statements and superfluous details,” according to the indictment.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article246429250.html#storylink=cpy

PANKEY, STEVEN D
Name:PANKEY, STEVEN D
Ethnicity:WHITE
Hair Color:BLONDE
Eye Color:GRAY
Height:5' 10"
Weight:182
DOC Number: 195622
Est. Parole
Eligibility Date:
10/01/2040
Next Parole
Hearing Date:
Nov 2040
This offender is scheduled on the Parole Board agenda for the month and year above. Please contact the facility case manager for the exact date.
Est. Mandatory
Release Date:
01/20/9999
Est. Sentence
Discharge Date:
Current Facility
Assignment:
ARKANSAS VALLEY CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
CURRENT CONVICTIONS
Sentence DateSentence CountyCase No.
10/31/2022 Life with Parole WELD 20CR1866
*for the record

Welcome to Websleuths @Cyndip!
He wrote his own unsolicited alibi letter. I don’t know if the jailhouse informant received anything. Maybe someone else can weigh in. I just learned of this case from the recent Dateline episode.

In 2013, Pankey allegedly sent an “alibi” document to law enforcement, claiming that he was in California on Dec. 21, 1984, the morning after Jonelle went missing. “The document contained false statements and superfluous details,” according to the indictment.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article246429250.html#storylink=cpy
The morning after is irrelevant. He could have flown or driven all night to get to CA from Colorado.

This my first time so any corrections are appreciated. This reference another cold case victim previously mentioned on this thread.

Marjorie Fithian was murdered on a rural Colorado road between Greeley and Denver in 1975. Her son a toddler was found alive holding her hand.

Donald Nemachek raped and murdered two Colorado women December 1974. He left one of them's son a toddler outside to die. He did. He abducted, raped and killed two more young women summer 1976. He was convicted of these crimes in Western Kansas. He is alive and in prison.
Has he ever been investigated for this Central Colorado crime?

I don't think you missed anything. You're right; he is very strange. But as you pointed out, that's not a crime. He seems to have craved attention or importance so much that he has inserted himself into several cases, at least once of which was solved, and he was not the perpetrator. moo

What a peculiar case. On the face of it, it sounds to me like the now-deceased neighbor was the better suspect. jmoo

By Brett M Malec Aug 23, 2024 rbbm
'Angela would later reveal the crucial evidence that ultimately led to Steve's 2022 conviction for kidnapping and murdering Jonelle. He's currently serving life in prison with the possibility of parole. (Steve maintained his innocence throughout the trial.)

Go inside Angela's decades-long journey for justice when The Girl on the Milk Carton airs Sunday, Aug. 25, at 7 p.m. on Oxygen.'

Just finished watching "The Girl On The Milk Carton" series and I have quite a few thoughts and learned a few more things about the case: 1) Having Reagan talk about her, putting her on the milk cartons, and sending flyers overseas were all fruitless efforts. Jonelle was already dead. 2) Why did no one think it odd that when the pastor in the church said that Jonelle would come home safe that Pankey yelled out "False Prophet!", 3) He drove all night to CA the night of the murder (I'd forgotten that detail), 4) The Greeley PD failed his wife by taking short shrift of her report 5) They also failed his rape victim by dismissing it as "he said, she said", 6) The prosecution was basically handcuffed in the first trial by not being allowed to introduce his pattern of prior violence and rape 6) He tried to frame his former boss and church member Mr. Ross, who drove Jonelle home that night because he held a grudge against the church. 7) He may have targeted Jonelle because she had dark hair like his wife that he abused or because he held the church grudge or both. I hope he dies in prison. Still can't believe that he had the nerve to run for gov. of Idaho.

Why do you think that? Pankey knew evidence that only the killer knew- about covering up the footprints in the snow outside the Matthews garage.
So did the neighbor suspect. That wasn't top secret.

So did the neighbor suspect. That wasn't top secret.
The detective interviewed claimed that it was information that was withheld from the public. Who was the "neighbor suspect"? Ross? I thought that Pankey was also a neighbor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beanut
Back