Found Deceased CO - Kevin Rudnicki, 20, hiker, Mount Herman, Pike National Forest, 3 Sep 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PalmerLake, I was looking for your permission to ask others on here for any help you need but I don't remember you answering? Also now I forget what you needed help with?

PalmerLake, I was looking for your permission to ask others on here for any help you need but I don't remember you answering? Also now I forget what you needed help with?
My apologies, so many good questions, I sometimes miss a few.

As for what to do next: I am very pleased how my discovery of this board has created many new fronts to investigate:

1) I will post my knowledge on Kevin's mental state. The information that I have shared has been causing lots of good figuring and discussion on the most likely scenario.
2) We are following up on the Stolen Car scenario. Even if it turns out to NOT have been Kevin, it will have been good to rule that out. We are trying to get a hold of Kevin's former coworker.
3) I am working on maps of the search area in case he did commit suicide and his body is still out in the woods.
If anyone on this board lives in the Monument/Palmer Lake, Colorado area and might be of help to search more forest territory, please feel free. I know that since Kevin went missing, to this day, small search parties occasionally go out to look. Of course, do so at your own risk.
4) We are working on getting the vial returned to us so that I may possibly get it tested here at the CSM chem lab.

As for what to do next: I am very pleased how my discovery of this board has created many new fronts to investigate:

1) I will post my knowledge on Kevin's mental state. The information that I have shared has been causing lots of good figuring and discussion on the most likely scenario.
2) We are following up on the Stolen Car scenario. Even if it turns out to NOT have been Kevin, it will have been good to rule that out. We are trying to get a hold of Kevin's former coworker.
3) I am working on maps of the search area in case he did commit suicide and his body is still out in the woods.
If anyone on this board lives in the Monument/Palmer Lake, Colorado area and might be of help to search more forest territory, please feel free. I know that since Kevin went missing, to this day, small search parties occasionally go out to look. Of course, do so at your own risk.
4) We are working on getting the vial returned to us so that I may possibly get it tested here at the CSM chem lab.
Don’t know how you’re juggling your brother missing, college work with exams coming and a sport...PalmerLakeAnon! You’re showing a wonderful example of caring and loving your family, no matter what. *Please take care of yourself* during this time, I’m sure Kevin would want the same!
Now...back to helping find your beloved brother....Kevin!!

I attached a map of the vicinity of the sunglasses and vial. The transparent green are areas that have already been searched. Thin red lines are trails, thick red lines are roads. In the bottom right, I included a 3-acre square for scale.

The terrain in the area is rough, especially near the creek bottom (indicated with the blue line) and around rock outcrops. The creek bottom is filled with large boulders and is extremely difficult to maneuver. The forest floor is covered with dead fall, thick underbrush, and occasionally large boulders. Any bushwhacking is extremely slow.

Attachments

• Map December 2018.png
    Map December 2018.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
Those of us who have followed missing cases for a long while know that even good organized searches miss finding what they are searching for. Remains are found by hunters, hikers, mushroom hunters, etc. In this case, you'd expect Kevin to be in a fairly close area to where the vial was found (again, assuming it was his and contained a drug he could use to suicide, and did use it).

But. The fact he had said in the past that if he were to kill himself in the mountains his body would never be found, and the vial was his, then why did he leave it to be found? Decided he wanted his body found? Or misdirection so family would think he suicided but he left the area?

PalmerLakeAnon, I hope answers about Kevin are forthcoming for your family.

Those of us who have followed missing cases for a long while know that even good organized searches miss finding what they are searching for. Remains are found by hunters, hikers, mushroom hunters, etc. In this case, you'd expect Kevin to be in a fairly close area to where the vial was found (again, assuming it was his and contained a drug he could use to suicide, and did use it).

But. The fact he had said in the past that if he were to kill himself in the mountains his body would never be found, and the vial was his, then why did he leave it to be found? Decided he wanted his body found? Or misdirection so family would think he suicided but he left the area?

PalmerLakeAnon, I hope answers about Kevin are forthcoming for your family.
Maybe the vial was left to send a message. He said he wouobr found. “Here’s the proof so don't look for me. “ imo

I attached a map of the vicinity of the sunglasses and vial. The transparent green are areas that have already been searched. Thin red lines are trails, thick red lines are roads. In the bottom right, I included a 3-acre square for scale.

The terrain in the area is rough, especially near the creek bottom (indicated with the blue line) and around rock outcrops. The creek bottom is filled with large boulders and is extremely difficult to maneuver. The forest floor is covered with dead fall, thick underbrush, and occasionally large boulders. Any bushwhacking is extremely slow.
I wish your brother could know how diligently you’re looking for him.

How much water is in it? More than 6 inches?

I've been thinking about this too. One thought is the drug it is suspected to contain is very strong and may have made Kevin ill very rapidly. Another is Kevin was already on drugs (mushrooms or LSD, for example) before taking the suicide drug, so was not really in a rational state of mind - this could also attribute his seemingly erratic movements.

Thank you for that.

Don’t know how you’re juggling your brother missing, college work with exams coming and a sport...PalmerLakeAnon! You’re showing a wonderful example of caring and loving your family, no matter what. *Please take care of yourself* during this time, I’m sure Kevin would want the same!
Now...back to helping find your beloved brother....Kevin!!
My son is a college athlete. It is not easy. I too am impressed with your maturity and commitment to your family.

Thanks for the map. Overwhelming acreage, but it seems most searches are :( I'll get the word out to some extended family members who live in CO. and are pretty avid hikers, in hopes they also know of others who might be able and willing to do some searches. I don't know what the weather is out there at present, but it's probably getting wintery.

@PalmerLakeAnon you have a strength that is rarely seen!!! I'm amazed and impressed. And I know.inside you must be crumbling, but your ability to stay focused and be honest with the information is rare. And mom..... just hugs. I simply cannot imagine.

Now, to the helpful part. A few things. Anytime you are dealing with terrain issues, I always think that a more professional team might be needed. Has anyone contacted Tim Miller with Texas Equusearch yet? He might be a huge help or at least have resources.

I also know sometimes, there are local sar teams who will go above and beyond, help grid the area. If it is wooded area, drone searches might not be helpful, but there is also a huge surge in amateur drone operators who are so helpful! We have someone in our community helping us with an issue on the river. I had no idea how clearly they can see!

Also, look for a Facebook page for the hiking area (everything has a Facebook page now, right? Lol). First, let them know he's missing, so they can keep good eyes out for anything on hikes. Second, ask them for info on any caves or hidden areas around there. That should be ruled out first. No need to scour the world if he's right there. Third.... I am so so so sorry in advance to say this. I really am. Did anyone notice any rope missing? Be sure to look not only down, but up during searches.

Also, any recent bank transactions or purchased might be helpful.

I also have concerns that there could be a mental health breakdown here. But from working in mental health for 16 years, I know that often, drug episodes and mental health can mimic each other.

I really have more to say, but I know it's hard to read so much, so I will leave with those ideas and thoights, for now. Just know we are hwre! We are good behind the scenes workers! So if there is something we can help with, we will!! Just give us the word.

@PalmerLakeAnon you have a strength that is rarely seen!!! I'm amazed and impressed. And I know.inside you must be crumbling, but your ability to stay focused and be honest with the information is rare. And mom..... just hugs. I simply cannot imagine.

Now, to the helpful part. A few things. Anytime you are dealing with terrain issues, I always think that a more professional team might be needed. Has anyone contacted Tim Miller with Texas Equusearch yet? He might be a huge help or at least have resources.

I also know sometimes, there are local sar teams who will go above and beyond, help grid the area. If it is wooded area, drone searches might not be helpful, but there is also a huge surge in amateur drone operators who are so helpful! We have someone in our community helping us with an issue on the river. I had no idea how clearly they can see!

Also, look for a Facebook page for the hiking area (everything has a Facebook page now, right? Lol). First, let them know he's missing, so they can keep good eyes out for anything on hikes. Second, ask them for info on any caves or hidden areas around there. That should be ruled out first. No need to scour the world if he's right there. Third.... I am so so so sorry in advance to say this. I really am. Did anyone notice any rope missing? Be sure to look not only down, but up during searches.

Also, any recent bank transactions or purchased might be helpful.

I also have concerns that there could be a mental health breakdown here. But from working in mental health for 16 years, I know that often, drug episodes and mental health can mimic each other.

I really have more to say, but I know it's hard to read so much, so I will leave with those ideas and thoights, for now. Just know we are hwre! We are good behind the scenes workers! So if there is something we can help with, we will!! Just give us the word.
Your question regarding rope is interesting, especially since I had a thought of Kevin hanging himself last night (I don't know why I didn't get that thought before). The other thought I had was that he just went for a hike with LSD, had a bad trip, and something happened to him, like he fell off a cliff or something. I know my mom went to his house in Laramie in late September to bring his things home, and she noticed nothing was missing: all of his camping stuff, his legal documents, clothes, etc. were all still at his home.
I did eventually go through his stuff and there was a large bundle of rope with his camping stuff. He could've bought more rope. He could've bought more camping stuff and more clothes...
Our mom checked with the bank on the first week of the search. He apparently had only a few hundred dollars in his account.

@PalmerLakeAnon If I ever go missing, I hope my siblings look for me like you are looking for your brother. ❤️

I can run in-depth background checks (with law firm resources) if you ever determine that would be helpful. Wish I was close and could help search!
Anything is helpful at this point. We really appreciate it.

My apologies to PalmerLakeAnon. You have been through the verification process. I forgot to change your title under your username which I will do right now.

You are going to find the most amazing people here on Websleuths. This group is like no other on the Internet.

Tricia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back