Found Deceased CO - Kiaya Campbell, 10, Thornton, 7 June 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=twitter;874239813964095488]https://twitter.com/AmandaDTV/status/874239813964095488[/video]

Surely they'd be able tell the difference between bludgeoning, stabbing, or shooting!

ETA: I guess I can see how they might not be able to determine cause between bludgeoning and strangulation if there was that much trauma.

Being badly beaten causes so much damage internally, possibility of skull fracture, too ... a number of injuries would be fatal. I've seen several cases where COD couldn't be determined and it was always due to extensive trauma.

I only mentioned the coroners report because we were talking about rehabilitation. This was brutal and it was premeditated. He isn't a 10 year old like in James Bulger's murder. He is 15 ... already demonstrating his general character.

Some info here:
http://www.9news.com/news/crime/teen-arrested-in-10-year-old-girls-death/447783223

What I heard this morning on this station was that because he is under 16 he will automatically be charged as a juvenile and the DA will do an investigation to determine if he should be charged as an adult. This could take "months". I'll see if I can find a better link that is more clear.

ETA: This appears to be media interpretation of what will likely happen. So FWIW....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for this information, Alexsea! :tyou:

Psychology is founded on the assumption that it is possible to treat and modify abnormal behavior, and psychiatry on treating chemical imbalances in the brain that relate to abnormal behavior. If neither profession can successfully modify the behavior of a child, then both are a complete fail.

It's a little unfair to call an entire branch of medicine a fail just because it cant help every case. Some people die during surgery but we dont say surgery is a fail. Yeah maybe it can't always help with severe cases but it saves lives everyday. Without psychologists i would litterally be dead and so would a lot of people I know. Calling a life saving branch of medicine a "complete fail" seems a bit harsh. JMO

Some info here:
http://www.9news.com/news/crime/teen-arrested-in-10-year-old-girls-death/447783223

What I heard this morning on this station was that because he is under 16 he will automatically be charged as a juvenile and the DA will do an investigation to determine if he should be charged as an adult. This could take "months". I'll see if I can find a better link that is more clear.

ETA: This appears to be media interpretation of what will likely happen. So FWIW....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update! 40 years before parole eligibility is still rather gruesome, inhumane treatment for child:

"9NEWS legal analyst Scott Robinson said for charges like this, someone under 18 at the time of the crime cannot be sentenced to life without parole. The death penalty is also not an option.

The most severe punishment the teen could receive if convicted, Robinson says, could be a life sentence with the possibility of parole after 40 years."

It's a little unfair to call an entire branch of medicine a fail just because it cant help every case. Some people die during surgery but we dont say surgery is a fail. Yeah maybe it can't always help with severe cases but it saves lives everyday. Without psychologists i would litterally be dead and so would a lot of people I know. Calling a life saving branch of medicine a "complete fail" seems a bit harsh. JMO

A child is easiest to work with in terms of modifying behavior, easier than any other age group. Psychiatrists and psychologists hang their shingles with the foundational claim that they are able to modify behavior through counselling, therapies, and/or drugs. If the legal response to abnormal behavior in a child is to incarcerate for up to 40 years, then there appears to be a large gap between what psychologists and psychiatrists claim they can do, and how society actually treats children who present with extremely abnormal behavior. Given societal/legal response to abnormal behavior in a child, it appears that society already has no faith in psychologies and psychiatrists.

I've read all sorts of comments suggesting that because the victim was another child, and there should be vengeance. I don't understand this perspective. At this time, the focus should be on the 15 year accused, and the question of what happened in this child's life such that he responds to others with extreme violence. I think we can assume that this is not the first time he expressed violence towards another child, so what went wrong, and it is possible to put him back on track.

40 years before parole sounds "harsh". So does brutal murder.
I think this monster deserves the death penalty.

15 years old is old enough to know damn well what you're doing, fgs !

He does not need to be coddled and asked by psychiatrists if his accommodations are satisfactory, or if his meals are to his specification.
At the very least-- he needs to be thrown into a cell and never allowed to be free.

Why should he ever get to have a life ?
Kiaya will never see a beautiful sunset or laugh with friends.

This 15 year old is an unspeakable filth who knew exactly what he was doing. He could have stopped at any time and let her live !!!!!!

:moo:

A child is easiest to work with in terms of modifying behavior, easier than any other age group. Psychiatrists and psychologists hang their shingles with the foundational claim that they are able to modify behavior through counselling, therapies, and/or drugs. If the legal response to abnormal behavior in a child is to incarcerate for up to 40 years, then there appears to be a large gap between what psychologists and psychiatrists claim they can do, and how society actually treats children who present with extremely abnormal behavior. Given societal/legal response to abnormal behavior in a child, it appears that society already has no faith in psychologies and psychiatrists.

I've read all sorts of comments suggesting that because the victim was another child, and there should be vengeance. I don't understand this perspective. At this time, the focus should be on the 15 year accused, and the question of what happened in this child's life such that he responds to others with extreme violence. I think we can assume that this is not the first time he expressed violence towards another child, so what went wrong, and it is possible to put him back on track.

That's all very well, IF there is an 'illness'. If he was just 'born wrong', you can't rewire synapses in a brain or undo frontal lobe trauma/'switch it back on' and put them 'back on track'. 99% of the prison population would no longer be there if that were the case

Thanks for the update! 40 years before parole eligibility is still rather gruesome, inhumane treatment for child:

"9NEWS legal analyst Scott Robinson said for charges like this, someone under 18 at the time of the crime cannot be sentenced to life without parole. The death penalty is also not an option.

The most severe punishment the teen could receive if convicted, Robinson says, could be a life sentence with the possibility of parole after 40 years."

What he did to a child much younger than himself was pretty gruesome and inhumane. If he were just a bit older he could qualify for the death penalty in some states. My heart doesn't bleed for murderers, no matter their age.

That's all very well, IF there is an 'illness'. If he was just 'born wrong', you can't rewire synapses in a brain or undo frontal lobe trauma/'switch it back on' and put them 'back on track'. 99% of the prison population would no longer be there if that were the case

Nobody is born wrong. Babies are not born "evil".

What he did to a child much younger than himself was pretty gruesome and inhumane. If he were just a bit older he could qualify for the death penalty in some states. My heart doesn't bleed for murderers, no matter their age.

There's not much difference between a 10 year old and a 15 year old in the big picture. They are both children who have not yet developed into adults with adult level cognitive development.

It is important to remember that all Western countries view "an eye for an eye" death penalty punishment as barbaric - except the USA. The USA is aligned with the Middle East regarding vengeance for murder.

40 years before parole sounds "harsh". So does brutal murder.
I think this monster deserves the death penalty.

15 years old is old enough to know damn well what you're doing, fgs !

He does not need to be coddled and asked by psychiatrists if his accommodations are satisfactory, or if his meals are to his specification.
At the very least-- he needs to be thrown into a cell and never allowed to be free.

Why should he ever get to have a life ?
Kiaya will never see a beautiful sunset or laugh with friends.

This 15 year old is an unspeakable filth who knew exactly what he was doing. He could have stopped at any time and let her live !!!!!!

The Supreme Court outlawed the death penalty for juveniles in 2005. The death penalty is not an option even if the family or the state wants it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_v._Simmons

Roper v. Simmons, 543 U.S. 551 (2005), was a landmark decision in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that it is unconstitutional to impose capital punishment for crimes committed while under the age of 18.

As a 15 year old, is there a different charge because he is a child? I would hope that he is not tried as an adult. This just seems really messed up, and not something such that a 15 year old should never again see the light of day. Furthermore, at the age of 15, there should be adequate services to successfully change his behavior ... if not, modern psychology should be deemed nonsense.
I would agree with you, i have often felt this way. But I am reserving the right to throw that whole philosophy out the window depending on the cause and manner of death. Some people are not fixable. Depending on the violence factor. The torture component (if there is one) the injuries, etc. If they are severe enough I wouldn't ever want to see this person free again. 15 or not.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I didn't say 'evil'. If that's your opinion, you're entitled to believe that. I disagree and so do a lot of medical studies. Psychopaths are either born that way or it's a combination of genes and nurture. People might not be born 'evil', but they can be born with a predisposition for lack of inhibition/impulse control or empathy...none of which can be fixed. Same goes if someone fell off their bike or got hit by a car and sustained frontal lobe damage (which can have similar effects to what I wrote above) and commit violent crime. Neither can be fixed unfortunately

There's not much difference between a 10 year old and a 15 year old in the big picture. They are both children who have not yet developed into adults with adult level cognitive development.

It is important to remember that all Western countries view "an eye for an eye" death penalty punishment as barbaric - except the USA. The USA is aligned with the Middle East regarding vengeance for murder.
Whoa, full stop.
Not every STATE has the death penalty.
Also, just because other Western countries don't offer the death penalty as an option for vile offenders doesn't mean their citizens might not wish they could.
"Eye for an Eye" would mean the 15yo would be killed by so much trauma that the cause of death couldn't be determined. When we execute criminals here, they've had many attempts at appeals and they are treated humanely, even during the actual death process.
There is NO comparison with the way some of the barbaric killings happen in the Middle East.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Supreme Court outlawed the death penalty for juveniles in 2005. The death penalty is not an option even if the family or the state wants it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_v._Simmons

Roper v. Simmons, 543 U.S. 551 (2005), was a landmark decision in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that it is unconstitutional to impose capital punishment for crimes committed while under the age of 18.

RSBM

True, sadly.
My fear is that he will be released by about 21 yrs.old (who knows-- maybe given a new identity ?), and will continue to harm children.
And what if that state says he's being "monitored" ?
John Gardeners' "monitoring" was sloppy and inefficient ; imo.

Surely they'd be able tell the difference between bludgeoning, stabbing, or shooting!

ETA: I guess I can see how they might not be able to determine cause between bludgeoning and strangulation if there was that much trauma.

If someone was bludgeoned, stabbed, and shot the coroner would be able to differentiate the different wounds. That doesn't mean the coroner would be able to say with certainty which wound was fatal if several wounds were serious enough to be fatal.

If someone was bludgeoned, stabbed, and shot the coroner would be able to differentiate the different wounds. That doesn't mean the coroner would be able to say with certainty which wound was fatal if several wounds were serious enough to be fatal.

Gotcha.

Many babies are born with birth defects. It would be naive to think some don't have defects of the brain when there are defects and differences possible in all other parts of the body. Just as with other birth defects I would think some would be effected more than others, not all would become violent or murderers of course.

There have been studies that brains of psychopaths for example are different.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2012/05/11/scans-show-psychopaths-have-brain-abnormalities/38540.html

https://www.livescience.com/13083-criminals-brain-neuroscience-ethics.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member