Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that live down CR 43, do you recall their gate being left open with any frequency?

I don't recall seeing it open through the years but I don't drive by daily. If it's an automated gate, which I suspect it is, I don't know that there would be any reason to leave it open.

If the gate requires a code to get in, which I would also suspect, it would seem to help narrow down the possible suspects.
Although, if it's anything like my old boss's gate, you just have to climb over and trip the sensor if you forget your remote. Half the time those Gates aren't much of a deterrent.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It is an automatic gate.

The second gate is manual (yes, there are two gates).

Good question.

But are the gates open during the day, normal coming and goings of people up to the property? You had the tenant in the attic apartment, I believe there was a tenant in a small out building, so, was it normal to sometimes keep gates open and in the evening, someone (probably from the main house, trigger the gate and close it.

The gate was solar powered.
Where is the second gate?

So a second gate, would seem to indicate that someone fenced off the meadow for the ability to have livestock or horses in that area. I guess if there was no livestock present then the gates could be left open. Still to randomly target a house that has 2 gates seems like too much risk. Even if the gates were open when they arrived, how would you know that no one would come home and close them creating a 2 gate obstacle to getting back to the road to get away.

So a second gate, would seem to indicate that someone fenced off the meadow for the ability to have livestock or horses in that area. I guess if there was no livestock present then the gates could be left open. Still to randomly target a house that has 2 gates seems like too much risk. Even if the gates were open when they arrived, how would you know that no one would come home and close them creating a 2 gate obstacle to getting back to the road to get away.

Randomly?

Was the family planning on selling their home? I'm wondering in terms of the tenant(s). Were they going to have to move?

The police said he was ruled out, but that doesn't mean anything. I've seen other cases where they "rule out" individuals when the reality is that those individuals are the only ones they're looking at, so I don't put a lot of stock in that.

The thing that bothers me the most in this case is that we believe Maggie got home about 4pm, and was expected to come right back...by 5pm people were already asking where she was....and the 911 call didn't come in until 7:01pm. So whatever was happening to Maggie had to have started pretty quickly after she got home...as it doesn't sound like she planned on being home very long, maybe 15-20 minutes, so the murderer(s) had to have either been there when she got home, or got there by 4:30 or so...definitely before 5pm. And they were still there at 7pm. No random thief who is just there to grab and go is going to spend 2+ hours in a home they are robbing. Whoever was there had to know damn well what they were after, and how long they had to get it. If there was a safe that they couldn't just pick up and take, then they took the time to break into it, and either they knew damn well they had plenty of time to do it, or were ready and prepared to kill anyone that may happen to come home during that time.

This was either an "inside job" or a "professional job", IMHO.

The thing that bothers me is that there was a tenant in the house. Burglars, professional or not, typically try to ascertain that nobody is home at the time they hit the residence. Also, burglars would have no reason to add murder and arson to what would otherwise be theft or grand theft charges. The only reasons to kill Maggie that make sense to me right now are 1) that she knew whoever was in the house and could identify him/them, or 2) some personal vendetta against Maggie or her parents, or 3) mentally unstable individual(s). We often hear the term "senseless crime", but typically there is a motive for a crime. What was it?

Forgive me for not scrolling back to find the answers, but do we know 1) if the tenant was home at 4:30, 2) if he heard Maggie come home, 3) if he arrived later, say 5-5:30, 4) if he has a vehicle that he typically parks in a area that can be seen from the driveway? I want to know if the perpetrator(s) knew that someone was home, if indeed the tenant was home when the perp(s) arrived.

I'm still wondering if they had a security camera. A lot of people do these days.

I have once again heard the rumor that this murder was committed by the Asian mob/mafia. Usually a rumor that sensational wouldn't take up more than 30 seconds in my mind, because this is real life, not an episode of Law & Order, but some of the questions I have about the finances of this family that remain unanswered keep nagging at me. Human trafficking is one of the largest crimes that the Asian mob is involved in...and stories about the unusual workers seen at the restaurants and liquor store, a rumor about some out buildings on the property having beds in them, turned into make-shift living quarters (THIS IS JUST A RUMOR I HEARD, I HAVE NO EVIDENCE OF THIS!) do cause me to spend a minute or two pondering this possibility. And I hesitate in even posting this, because really, I don't want to be "THAT" person that just throws out ridiculous speculations. I guess I just come to this after ruling out (in my mind) some more plausible/common explanations. I can't decide if the "mob" theory is even one worth researching. If that was the case, the perp will never actually be caught. I'm just so bothered by this whole thing, it just doesn't happen here and I feel like I will never feel at ease in my own home until I have some answers. Sorry, I'm rambling again. :)

I have once again heard the rumor that this murder was committed by the Asian mob/mafia. Usually a rumor that sensational wouldn't take up more than 30 seconds in my mind, because this is real life, not an episode of Law & Order, but some of the questions I have about the finances of this family that remain unanswered keep nagging at me. Human trafficking is one of the largest crimes that the Asian mob is involved in...and stories about the unusual workers seen at the restaurants and liquor store, a rumor about some out buildings on the property having beds in them, turned into make-shift living quarters (THIS IS JUST A RUMOR I HEARD, I HAVE NO EVIDENCE OF THIS!) do cause me to spend a minute or two pondering this possibility. And I hesitate in even posting this, because really, I don't want to be "THAT" person that just throws out ridiculous speculations. I guess I just come to this after ruling out (in my mind) some more plausible/common explanations. I can't decide if the "mob" theory is even one worth researching. If that was the case, the perp will never actually be caught. I'm just so bothered by this whole thing, it just doesn't happen here and I feel like I will never feel at ease in my own home until I have some answers. Sorry, I'm rambling again. :)

If these rumors are true then it sure would be a reason for LE to keep quiet about everything. Or why her parents have not been seen or heard from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those not from here, I just want to say that Pine Junction, where the restaurant and liquor store are, is a VERY SMALL community, and Bailey, where the other restaurant is (although it's been closed for months) is also very small. Even if you had both restaurants full every night, and had a line out the door at the liquor store, there is just only so much money you could make in these small towns, even in the summer with tourists. I struggle to understand how they afforded their huge home (I believe county records show they paid $531k for it.)

And let's not forget that not only did they have the $531k house here in Bailey, they also owned a home in Conifer and one in Littleton. And if they were so rich as to be a target for something like this, why were they renting out the attic of their house? I don't understand the finances of the family at all....

The living arrangements of some immigrants can get very complex. Asian immigrants in particular can view homes in the USA as safe, tangible assets where as bank accounts back in their home countries are subject to seizure, increased taxes, inflation and asset freezes.

As a result, homes in the USA can be owned by an entire extended family, regardless of what the title says. Thus, who owns the home on paper can be very different from who really owns a home(s) "off record".

There is also the reverse- though a family may appear to own a home, they can simply be house sitters or even tenants for the "off record" owner regardless of what they tell neighbors, what a title says, of from whose bank account the purchasing money came from.

Is it possible they received an inheritance from deceased parents/family that allowed them to purchase the home and businesses?

I mean in all honesty, the whole thing sounds fishy to me too but.....playing devils advocate that there are other ways to be able to purchase something you normally couldn’t afford.

IMO, anything I say is JMO
—————————————-
RIP Lisa Harvey ❤️ http://www.news-ridgecrest.com/news/story.pl?id=0000007796

So does anyone know if the tenant that called 911 was an immigrant? This case really makes my head spin but I do believe this was targeted. Whether the murder was planned or happened as a way to cover up the burglary, I don’t know. Either way, something does not sit right with me about this case.

So does anyone know if the tenant that called 911 was an immigrant? This case really makes my head spin but I do believe this was targeted. Whether the murder was planned or happened as a way to cover up the burglary, I don’t know. Either way, something does not sit right with me about this case.

The person was not an immigrant. White, in their 20s.

Truthfully I think it all happened too fast for him to react. I have wondered if he didn't hear anything till just before he called. I've lived in plenty of apartments that were basically "soundproofed" until it got really loud, no nose for upstairs.

I am late to this case but is there a floor plan to this house that is readily available? Curious to know if the intruder(s) knew of the apartment.

Now that the memorial service is over and the sheriff's office isn't saying anything, this case has passed outside of the collective consciousness, and you won't see any more media stories. Might as well close this thread.

I completely disagree, Bill. A young lady within our community has been murdered! Until her killer has been found and brought to justice, this thread should NOT be closed! Her community won't rest until there is JUSTICE FOR MAGGIE!!

I completely disagree, Bill. A young lady within our community has been murdered! Until her killer has been found and brought to justice, this thread should NOT be closed! Her community won't rest until there is JUSTICE FOR MAGGIE!!

Welcome to Websleuths. When you've been around a while like I have, you'll learn that once the media cycle has been completed, that news is rare, and we do our sleuthin' on the news articles because rules forbid us from repeating things said on social media and from sleuthing family members and people who have not been named suspects. Now, hopefully Walter will have something in his local weekly paper for us to peruse. But other than that, you might as while kick your shoes off because it's going to be a long wait for any meaningful news.

MOO

When you have a case like this one, where there are no obvious clues as to what happened, no ex-boyfriend, no obvious enemies, no clear suspects, and LE is very tight-lipped, you tend to consider possibilities that might otherwise seem far-fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme