Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been following this case for quite a while and I am just curious… Is there any suspicion towards her own family? A few things stuck out in my head, including the fact that the tenant said the people who own the house were arguing. I believe I read that her father was out of town at the time? I apologize in advance for not going back to the articles and looking for that information. Of course, the tenant could have made assumptions about who was arguing, but I found it a little odd. And of course I want to be sensitive to discussing anyone who hasn’t been named as a person of interest but I was just curious if anyone else was wondering the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, let me address your idea about the release of the autopsy.

They had no intent of releasing the autopsy report around this time.

I asked for the records on this case before Christmas, 2017.

I was denied (which I expected).

http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_67ca3b5a-e73a-11e7-9d40-2f9528003cb6.html

I personally spoke to David Kintz Jr.

He said the autopsy would not be released until the CBI was done with their investigation.

In reference to why the parents would not attend the memorial service, you need to educate yourself to Oriental customs in regards to deaths in a family and funerals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_funeral_rituals

In reference to the families finances, I covered this in a very long article in my newspaper.

http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_150a3152-f722-11e7-8bfa-f7e76994a7f1.html

You can accept the testimony of the manager, who is very close to the family, or you can go with your own theories.

You say, "... first a gag order, and now a full on plea to stall the release of actual cause of death. crazy indeed, this story. "

If you read my article about releasing records, there was never any intent to release information this early on in the investigation.

Next to the law enforcement authorities, there is no one that know more about this case than I do. I know some of the details of the autopsy, I am not at liberty at this point to release the info.

I have details that I won't release at this point, I am not the sort of journalist/editor who just runs with every lede, I require proven sources before I publish something.

Early this morning, I had a conversation with someone high up in the Park County Sheriff's Office, face to face in my office at the newspaper, and after the conversation, I can tell you they are no any closer to solving this than you are.

I actually gave this person some leads that may help in the investigation, but once again, I can't reveal what I know.

I'm a journalist, not a detective, it's not my job to solve this, but it is my job to make sure that I can let the public know what facts are swimming around this case.

I've done this, for the last seven weeks.

And in two weeks, I will be on vacation to Europe and the Middle East for almost a month. As much as this story is mine, I hope I can come back to the U.S. and find that this has been solved. I can only hope.

Thank you so much for your reporting and all that you do. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your journalism and devotion to the truth and facts. Your pieces are concise, in-depth, and the closest I feel we get to real information. It saddens me to hear that they are no closer than that rest of us to getting answers...this concerns me, greatly. What are your thoughts on this recent article about the coroner stating he was told to withhold the results?

Thank you so much for your reporting and all that you do. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your journalism and devotion to the truth and facts. Your pieces are concise, in-depth, and the closest I feel we get to real information. It saddens me to hear that they are no closer than that rest of us to getting answers...this concerns me, greatly. What are your thoughts on this recent article about the coroner stating he was told to withhold the results?

Not Walter, but FYI I believe he said he was going to be out of town for several weeks.

I'm still relatively new around these types of cases. Is it typical to publicly release autopsy reports to the public? I guess I don't have an objection to them not releasing if it's beneficial to the investigation. Sometimes I think we (general we - myself included) are so accustomed to the instant information world we live in that we're surprised when the "whole story" isn't readily available. If that makes sense?

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Not Walter, but FYI I believe he said he was going to be out of town for several weeks.

I'm still relatively new around these types of cases. Is it typical to publicly release autopsy reports to the public? I guess I don't have an objection to them not releasing if it's beneficial to the investigation. Sometimes I think we (general we - myself included) are so accustomed to the instant information world we live in that we're surprised when the "whole story" isn't readily available. If that makes sense?

It’s totally different from case to case I THINK, although more often than not I feel like autopsy reports aren’t released especially in a pending case unless requested and then they are most often redacted (see the case of the Rhoden murders for example - autopsies released but with much redacted). I honestly don’t know what standard protocol is though, which is why I was curious if Walter would have some insight. My interest was more related to the odd fact that the coroner is saying one thing and LE is contradicting this, so I wanted his take on it.

OT I do agree with you that we have become a society that thrives on instant gratification and we want all the info, and we want it now now now. I’m pretty good at being patient though, my interest is more related to the article and why the coroner and LE would have different takes on the situation. That part, I feel, is unusual.

It’s totally different from case to case I THINK, although more often than not I feel like autopsy reports aren’t released especially in a pending case unless requested and then they are most often redacted (see the case of the Rhoden murders for example - autopsies released but with much redacted). I honestly don’t know what standard protocol is though, which is why I was curious if Walter would have some insight. My interest was more related to the odd fact that the coroner is saying one thing and LE is contradicting this, so I wanted his take on it.

OT I do agree with you that we have become a society that thrives on instant gratification and we want all the info, and we want it now now now. I’m pretty good at being patient though, my interest is more related to the article and why the coroner and LE would have different takes on the situation. That part, I feel, is unusual.

Good catch on the difference in statements. I totally missed that, even though it was spelled out in front of me. *coffeeplease*

What I wrote about the coroner Kintz was based on a direct conversation I had with him. I realize that what he told me seems to contradict other statements made in various media outlets, and by LE in Park County,

I stand by his statement, in the sense that he gave it to me. If he was lying or stretching the truth, I don't know at this point. Anything is possible.

Off topic a bit.

Yes, I will be in Europe and the Middle East, for a three week trip, leaving Feb. 9, returning March 3.

My part-time staff writer will be working full time in the editor's chair while I am gone.

He has instructions that the Long story is job one, if anything pops, he will get it on our web page as breaking news and follow up with more detail in the next weekly issue,

So I have tried to cover my bases the best I can while I take a little well-needed vacation.

And thank-you to everyone who has given me kudos. Normally in this business, when you upset someone, you hear about it, when you do a good job, no one lets you know.

Park County Sheriff’s Office to Provide Update on Maggie Long Homicide Investigation
(Park County, Colorado—February 6, 2018)—The Park County Sheriff’s Office (PCSO), along with state and federal law enforcement partners, will provide an update on the homicide investigation of 17-year-old Maggie Long from Bailey, Colorado, occurring on December 1, 2017.
The news conference will be held at the Platte Canyon Fire Protection District, Station 2 (153 Delwood Dr., Bailey, CO), beginning at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 7, 2018. Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener, representatives from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will take part in the news conference.

http://www.9news.com/article/news/c...ath-investigation-of-maggie-long/73-515648856
"
Investigators held a news conference Wednesday afternoon that revealed the items they say were stolen from Long’s home as well as a plea that the public come out and provide any information they can.The reward for information in the Maggie Long case has been increased to $20,000. Nevertheless, Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said there is no threat to the community, despite the fact a murder suspect is on the loose.Colorado Bureau of Investigation Director John Camper said a large green safe, jade figurines, a Beretta 9mm handgun, an AK-47-type firearm and some ammunition were taken from Long's home the night of the fire."

Lies from LE does not build trust among the public.

Lies from LE does not build trust among the public.
Exactly! No threat to the public even though the murderer of an innocent teenage girl is on the loose with a stolen handgun and assault rifle, ok LE I'm sure the public feels safe.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Exactly! No threat to the public even though the murderer of an innocent teenage girl is on the loose with a stolen handgun and assault rifle, ok LE I'm sure the public feels safe.

Because they know it was isolated incident and that family was targeted. It wasn’t just a random thing.

havent heard from about the tenant. I still think he is involved somehow. Something fishy about him.

http://www.9news.com/article/news/c...ath-investigation-of-maggie-long/73-515648856
"
Investigators held a news conference Wednesday afternoon that revealed the items they say were stolen from Long’s home as well as a plea that the public come out and provide any information they can.The reward for information in the Maggie Long case has been increased to $20,000. Nevertheless, Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said there is no threat to the community, despite the fact a murder suspect is on the loose.Colorado Bureau of Investigation Director John Camper said a large green safe, jade figurines, a Beretta 9mm handgun, an AK-47-type firearm and some ammunition were taken from Long's home the night of the fire."

It wouldn't be easy to move a large safe with only one person, would it?

Because they know it was isolated incident and that family was targeted. It wasn’t just a random thing.

havent heard from about the tenant. I still think he is involved somehow. Something fishy about him.
Well yes the Long's were targeted but this person so far has gotten away with murder, arson and theft what's to say they won't decide to target another family next?

Why in the heck is this case so quiet when no one has been arrested?? Is there no urgency that a killer is still free?

Why in the heck is this case so quiet when no one has been arrested?? Is there no urgency that a killer is still free?

I too, find the silence, very unnerving! Although, I have to hold out hope, that they either know who this or these people are, and know that they are no longer within our community. Recently, I have watched numerous forensic shows, and it is astonishing and amazing how evidence usually gets the bad guy, but that also does not happen over night. Sometimes it can take months or years, but with persistence and loads of patience, it usually pays off.

This and faith, are the only reason that I can go to sleep each night. Having grown up here, and now raising our own family here, it is very unsettling. We just have to continue to trust and pray for the investigators. I am determined that they will solve this horrific, senseless crime!

Still no arrest in this case yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member