Found Deceased CO - Micah Tice, 20, hiker, Rocky Mountain Natl Park, Longs Peak Trailhead, USAFA Cadet, 22 Nov 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
US Air Force Academy (Official)
I'm thinking the same way as you are. Tennis shoes alone is mind boggling. And what kind of serious winter hiking gear could he be carrying in a light pack. I bet you're onto something with the desire to do something "epic" and obtain some sort of unique bragging rights. And I to bet he underestimated what it would truly be like on Longs Peak in November during a winter storm. That peak is epic enough during summer months. Still hoping he is found hunkered down somewhere he could shelter, but my hopes were low to begin with. As time passes, hope wanes.
My son in law has done the climb in the summer. There is no place to shelter at the higher altitudes that he remembered, though it's been a few years. With winds that were gusting up to 90 mph over the weekend, you'd likely be blown off whatever space you were perched on. He told his Mom he had thousands of dollars of survival equipment but was seen by eyewitnesses in nothing more than Fall clothing, tennis shoes with a light backpack. That's someone that has ZERO experience in serious technical hiking. I doubt he lasted 24 hours. I feel for his poor family and hope they recover his body when winter is over.

Last edited:
US Air Force Academy (Official)

My son in law has done the climb in the summer. There is no place to shelter at the higher altitudes, and with winds that were gusting up to 90 mph over the weekend, you'd likely be blown off whatever space you were perched on. He told his Mom he had thousands of dollars of survival equipment but was seen by eyewitnesses in nothing more than Fall clothing, tennis shoes with a light backpack. That's someone that has ZERO experience in serious technical hiking. I doubt he lasted 24 hours. I feel for his poor family and hope they recover his body when winter is over.
Sadly I agree. I was hoping he wasn't really going for the summit and did have a "Sleep under the snow" shelter kit (or whatever that is) with him.

Thought there is a shelter at the very top - Agnes Valle Shelter? Assuming one can make it to the top, but not sure if actually useful as a shelter.

ETA. Here it is. Agnes Vaille Shelter - Wikipedia

Sadly I agree. I was hoping he wasn't really going for the summit and did have a "Sleep under the snow" shelter kit (or whatever that is) with him.

Thought there is a shelter at the very top - Agnes Valle Shelter? Assuming one can make it to the top, but not sure if actually useful as a shelter.

Thanks for that! I just talked with SIL and he remembers that but said it's all the way up at the Summit and because they took the door off, when he hiked, it was still half full of snow. I seriously doubt this young man made it to the summit in a sweatshirt and tennis shoes with a blizzard bearing down. I can only pray at this point for closure for his family.

Thought there is a shelter at the very top - Agnes Valle Shelter?

This shelter is on the front side of the trail at The Keyhole above the Boulder Field, about 6.2 miles from the trailhead, not at the summit. The route to the summit continues beyond The Keyhole on the other (west) side of the ridge and this is the area that is completely exposed with steep dropoffs for another 1.3 miles where the winds really whip at you.

My housemate witnessed a man fall and die on this section one summer when conditions would not have been nearly as extreme as at this time of the year. The west side section is considered more technical than the frontside trail to The Keyhole and more of a climb:

Hike to the Keyhole on Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park

According to the above link, the Battle Mountain area he was last seen at around 8 AM is about 4.5 miles from the TH, unless he was seen near the cutoff to the Battle Mountain camp area which is at 2.5 miles.

This shelter is on the front side of the trail at The Keyhole above the Boulder Field, about 6.2 miles from the trailhead, not at the summit. The route to the summit continues beyond The Keyhole on the other (west) side of the ridge and this is the area that is completely exposed with steep dropoffs for another 1.3 miles where the winds really whip at you.

My housemate witnessed a man fall and die on this section one summer when conditions would not have been nearly as extreme as at this time of the year. The west side section is considered more technical than the frontside trail to The Keyhole and more of a climb:

Hike to the Keyhole on Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park

According to the above link, the Battle Mountain area he was last seen at around 8 AM is about 4.5 miles from the TH, unless he was seen near the cutoff to the Battle Mountain camp area which is at 2.5 miles.
If he left the trailhead at 6:30am, how far could he realistically hike in an hour and a half? Depends on weather conditions at time, which I believe were not bad until later, and also the ascent incline. Either location is possible. I assume he is in good shape because of being at the AF Academy.

Google Maps

I can't help but wonder about his psychological well being. Could he have been depressed or a danger to himself? Any negative events happening lately in his life?

I think young men just don't process the dangers and consequences of changing conditions, especially if they are inexperienced climbers/hikers.

We were on McKinley years ago, saw a guy with tons of fancy equipment, he didn't even know how to tie a knot! WTH was this guy doing out there? He was not only a danger to himself, but to other climbers, and even rescue crews if it came to that. He didn't know how to put on a harness, his boots were brand new, not even broken in yet. He had a guide, we decided to be ahead of them, he was in too bad of shape anyway to get much further.

He was sort of cute, he had so much gear, he was definitely prepared for anything, of course his pack was huge! There is a balance!

Hey, thanks all for the expert input! Sadly my thinking wasn't as far off as I thought.

Is it usual/typical to file some sort of plan with someone when hiking a strenuous trail? I don't mean officially, more like here's what I'm doing.

Assisting Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue Team members today include Rocky Mountain Rescue, Air Force Academy Mountaineering Club, Diamond Peaks Ski Patrol, and Larimer County Search and Rescue. Searchers faced chest deep snow, high avalanche danger, strong wind gusts, and bitter wind chill.
Hikers say they spoke with missing USAF Cadet candidate at Rocky Mountain National Park
Trying to be sensitive here... that's an awful lot of people facing dangers of their own in searching for Micah. But I get that many people desire to solo hike so it's not like he's the first.

b829a411-338f-4f35-ad56-6d33ae7adaf6-large16x9_IMG_00801.jpg

For Tice, the survival skills he learned in JROTC were likely coming into play.

"The first night when the sun goes down, and it starts to get super cold, shelter become the priority before food and water," said Lt. Col. Mike Richmond, who trained Tice at Rancho HS.

Rescue crews were recruiting more experienced hikers for rescue efforts so they can try and reach Tice at higher elevations. Meanwhile, his mom says they're keeping the faith.

Mom hopeful missing Air Force cadet from Las Vegas will be found
sad1-smiley-face.gif

For Tice, the survival skills he learned in JROTC were likely coming into play.

"The first night when the sun goes down, and it starts to get super cold, shelter become the priority before food and water," said Lt. Col. Mike Richmond, who trained Tice at Rancho HS.

Rescue crews were recruiting more experienced hikers for rescue efforts so they can try and reach Tice at higher elevations. Meanwhile, his mom says they're keeping the faith.

Mom hopeful missing Air Force cadet from Las Vegas will be found
sad1-smiley-face.gif
And...the second night, and the third night and the fourth night...total of 6 nights, going on 7. Hope is something to always hold onto and I sincerely wish it would bring Micah to safety.

Upthread, post #45 states that they talked to him around 7:30-8:00am. If he had left the trailhead at 6:30, then that puts him an hour- to an hour and a half into his hike. Depends in weather by this time and also incline of the hike how fast he could cover this distance. jmo

ETA.

Thank you for repeating that information. I had missed that when I had read through all the posts and links, and I knew it was important information.

Hey, thanks all for the expert input! Sadly my thinking wasn't as far off as I thought.

Is it usual/typical to file some sort of plan with someone when hiking a strenuous trail? I don't mean officially, more like here's what I'm doing.

Assisting Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue Team members today include Rocky Mountain Rescue, Air Force Academy Mountaineering Club, Diamond Peaks Ski Patrol, and Larimer County Search and Rescue. Searchers faced chest deep snow, high avalanche danger, strong wind gusts, and bitter wind chill.
Hikers say they spoke with missing USAF Cadet candidate at Rocky Mountain National Park
Trying to be sensitive here... that's an awful lot of people facing dangers of their own in searching for Micah. But I get that many people desire to solo hike so it's not like he's the first.

b829a411-338f-4f35-ad56-6d33ae7adaf6-large16x9_IMG_00801.jpg
BBM. Not really an official thing except on some trails and back country areas where one has to register. It is highly recommended however, to tell someone exactly where and when. He told his mom a bit it seems. At least they have the area and his car is at the trailhead. Hikers seem to go missing regardless. Sam Sayers, Paul Miller...everyone knew where they were hiking but they have yet to be found. Matthew Greene told no one and so there is not even a actual trail to focus on. The common denominator is they were all hiking alone and IMO unprepared for the elements.

ETA Exception Matthew Greene was extremely skilled and likely prepared for a long day hike and had been hiking the same area for a few weeks. Whatever happened to him was likely sudden and accidental. Again MOO

Last edited:
As a person who has hiked a bit--no matter how well you prepare, there's always the possibility of running into events or conditions you didn't prepare for. Accident, illness, unforeseen weather, bad trail conditions, etc. etc. etc. There was a woman killed in New Hampshire on a popular day hike trail when a boulder fell from a ledge onto her: Tourist's kin asks if death had to happen - The Boston Globe

Thanksgiving holiday weekend (check November) shows end of liberty time of 1900 hours Sunday. I'd say therefore Micah planned either a day hike or maybe one overnight in order to be back in time for check-in.

https://www.usafa.edu/app/uploads/AY-2018-2019-Calendar-Approved-13-Dec-17.pdf

Based off what he was wearing I’m guessing day hike and not summeting. I think maybe he wanted cool photos with the snow and ventured off the trail for them and fell. I think when he is found it will not be high up but in a place currently snow covered.

Based off what he was wearing I’m guessing day hike and not summeting. I think maybe he wanted cool photos with the snow and ventured off the trail for them and fell. I think when he is found it will not be high up but in a place currently snow covered.
Yes that scenario makes sense. I thought the same too and was doubtful that he ever planned to summit. That seemed like a suicide mission, and I'm not saying that was his purpose at all. Wonder what his reason for buying all the special survival gear was though? Maybe he was prepared in case something happened. Falling is not something you can be prepared for though. imo

Yes that scenario makes sense. I thought the same too and was doubtful that he ever planned to summit. That seemed like a suicide mission, and I'm not saying that was his purpose at all. Wonder what his reason for buying all the special survival gear was though? Maybe he was prepared in case something happened. Falling is not something you can be prepared for though. imo

I’m guessing the gear was for a different hike, maybe one that hadn’t happened yet. I mean you don’t take a tent meant to shelter under snow but wear sweatpants and tennis shoes for the same hike...if you’re a cadet for USNA you are probably adventuristic but you also have to be smart.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antony
Back