CO - Miles Basello, 2 months, mom suffered postpartum psychosis and went to the hospital multiple times to get help, Boulder, 10 June 2023 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wish we knew more details of her 2 prior visits to the hospital.... (or were details given by the father and I missed it)
Does the hospital she visited have a mental health facility/,ward on-site? Was she given meds? Was it the ER she visited? Was she given a recommendation for a psychologist and/ or psychiatrist? Did she ever contact them or they contact her? Was she simply never seen due to financial reasons or insurance reasons? I wish we knew more

Friday, September 8th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 1:30pm MT) - CO - Miles Basello (2 mos.), found with his mother dead, June 10, 2023 in Boulder. - *Anna Louise Englund (29) arrested (6/10/23) & formally charged (6/15/23) with of 1st degree murder with deliberations & 1st degree murder of a child below the age of 12 by someone in a position of trust. Held without bond.
Boulder District Judge Patrick Butler presiding.
Case & court info from 6/10/23 thru 6/12/23 reference post #14 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-get-help-boulder-10-june-2023-arrest.681075/

6/13/23 Update: Next status conference hearing on 6/15/23 @ 8:15am. Englund was jailed in the strangulation killing of her 2-month-old son has been charged formally with first-degree murder after deliberation & first-degree murder of a child below the age of 12 by someone in a position of trust. A preliminary hearing in the case against Anna Englund in Boulder District Court has been set for 9/8/23 @ 1:30pm. On Thursday, Englund was in jail, a court official said, declining to provide information on whether she has received mental health treatment. Englund told police she took her son away from their home in Boulder while the baby’s father was in the bathroom on Saturday & that she strangled the baby “because I didn’t want him to suffer in life like I have,” the affidavit says. She told police “she was worried about all of the things that could happen” to him “because the world was ‘crazy’.”

Friday, Oct. 6th:
*Review Hearing (@ 10:30am MT) - CO - Miles Basello (2 mos.), found with his mother dead, June 10, 2023 in Boulder. - *Anna Louise Englund (29) arrested (6/10/23) & formally charged (6/15/23) with of 1st degree murder with deliberations & 1st degree murder of a child below the age of 12 by someone in a position of trust. Held without bond.
Case & court info from 6/10/23 thru 6/12/23 reference post #14 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-get-help-boulder-10-june-2023-arrest.681075/

6/13/23 Update: Next status conference hearing on 6/15/23 @ 8:15am. Englund was jailed in the strangulation killing of her 2-month-old son has been charged formally with first-degree murder after deliberation & first-degree murder of a child below the age of 12 by someone in a position of trust. A preliminary hearing in the case against Anna Englund in Boulder District Court has been set for 9/8/23 @ 1:30pm. On Thursday, Englund was in jail, a court official said, declining to provide information on whether she has received mental health treatment. Englund told police she took her son away from their home in Boulder while the baby’s father was in the bathroom on Saturday & that she strangled the baby “because I didn’t want him to suffer in life like I have,” the affidavit says. She told police “she was worried about all of the things that could happen” to him “because the world was ‘crazy’.”
9/8/23 Update: No info on preliminary hearing. Next review hearing on 10/6/23 @ 10:30am.

Wish we knew more details of her 2 prior visits to the hospital.... (or were details given by the father and I missed it)
Does the hospital she visited have a mental health facility/,ward on-site? Was she given meds? Was it the ER she visited? Was she given a recommendation for a psychologist and/ or psychiatrist? Did she ever contact them or they contact her? Was she simply never seen due to financial reasons or insurance reasons? I wish we knew more
When one goes to the ER for mental health crises in America, I'm not sure they can get more than a script for benzodiazepines and a printout of psychiatrists, many of whom are full or have months-long waits. (If not admitted, of course.) I seem to recall either @meanmaryjean or @annemc2 having psych nurse experience, maybe they can tell us more.

When one goes to the ER for mental health crises in America, I'm not sure they can get more than a script for benzodiazepines and a printout of psychiatrists, many of whom are full or have months-long waits. (If not admitted, of course.) I seem to recall either @meanmaryjean or @annemc2 having psych nurse experience, maybe they can tell us more.
A few (very few) large medical centers have specific Psych ERs. But mental health services are so woefully underfunded in this country (and it's not just the US). The last decade has seen an increase in the number of Psych NPs - which is helping but nowhere near meeting the actual need in terms of numbers and sustainable workforce.

Thanks for the alert @azure. This is so disturbing. I'm wondering what went wrong in this scenario because the reporting makes it seem like she really tried to get help. Maybe she presented as lucid and/or minimized her symptoms during the exam? Who knows. I can guarantee that everyone who encountered her as a patient is absolutely devastated with this outcome.

It looks like Boulder has a freestanding psychiatric walk-in center that is always open. However reports say that she went to the hospital which is likely associated with Boulder Community Health. They have an inpatient unit as well as having psych evaluations available 24/7 in the ER (at the Riverbend Road/ Arapahoe Ave locations). It appears that there is pretty good access to qualified providers. More so than many places here in the US.

I used to work for a large hospital system as a NP doing these sorts of evaluations. Someone from our team would be called to the ER when needed (24/7) and we'd travel and do assessment and disposition. If someone needed to be hospitalized (voluntarily or involuntarily) we'd be responsible for finding them a bed and an accepting psychiatrist as well as petitioning the court for a hold. If someone could be discharged it was more like "call your insurance provider and make an appointment." Woefully inadequate, especially for persons who are in enough of a crisis to end up in the ER.

I'll definitely be following along to try and figure out what went wrong here. This is obviously a situation that calls for urgent inpatient treatment and she was on their radar. My heart breaks for everyone involved.

Last edited:

Yes, and some of those medications make the situation even worse for some people.

Wednesday, October 25th:
*Review Hearing (@ 8:15am MT) - CO - Miles Basello (2 mos.), found with his mother dead, June 10, 2023 in Boulder. - *Anna Louise Englund (29) arrested (6/10/23) & formally charged (6/15/23) with of 1st degree murder with deliberations & 1st degree murder of a child below the age of 12 by someone in a position of trust. Held without bond.
Case & court info from 6/10/23 thru 6/13/23 reference post #25 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...elp-boulder-10-june-2023-arrest.681075/page-2

9/8/23 Update: No info on preliminary hearing. Next review hearing on 10/6/23 @ 10:30am. 10/6/23 Update: Review hearing was rescheduled on 10/25/23 @ 8:15am.

Tuesday, November 28th:
*Hearing (@ 9am MT) - CO - Miles Basello (2 mos.), found with his mother dead, June 10, 2023 in Boulder. - *Anna Louise Englund (29) arrested (6/10/23) & formally charged (6/15/23) with of 1st degree murder with deliberations & 1st degree murder of a child below the age of 12 by someone in a position of trust. Held without bond.
Case & court info from 6/10/23 thru 6/13/23 reference post #25 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...elp-boulder-10-june-2023-arrest.681075/page-2

9/8/23 Update: No info on preliminary hearing. Next review hearing on 10/6/23 @ 10:30am. 10/6/23 Update: Review hearing was rescheduled on 10/25/23 @ 8:15am.
10/25/23 Update: Hearing on 11/28/23 @ 9am.

Wednesday, November 29th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 3pm MT) - CO - Edward Hayes (10 mos.) disciplined like a dog by mom’s boyfriend, was found unconscious at Motel 6. The child was transported to the Children’s Hospital in Colorado Springs, May 21, 2023 & died on May 23, 2023, Cañon City. *William Jacobs (21) BF of mom arrested & originally charged (5/23/23) with child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury, but police say the charges are expected to be amended. *Charged (amended 6/7/23) with 1st degree murder, child abuse resulting in death, child abuse resulting bodily injury & cruelty to animals. Held on $75K cash only bond. Bond changed (6/7/23) to no bond. $100K Cash or Surety Bond (6/21/23).
Case & court info from 5/21/23 thru 810/25/23 reference post #62 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-canon-city-21-may-2023-arrest.679072/page-4

10/26/23 Update: Preliminary hearing continues on 10/31/23 @ 10:30am. 10/31/23 Update: Next preliminary hearing continues on 11/29/23.
*Brook N. Crawford (20) “mom” – Motions hearing on 12/5/23.

I have to post this 2 days early - as my laptop is dying and getting a new one - which I won't get until maybe Friday or even Saturday...

Friday, Dec. 15th:
*Hearing (@ 8:15am MT) - CO - Miles Basello (2 mos.), found with his mother dead, June 10, 2023 in Boulder. - *Anna Louise Englund (29) arrested (6/10/23) & formally charged (6/15/23) with of 1st degree murder with deliberations & 1st degree murder of a child below the age of 12 by someone in a position of trust. Held without bond.
Case & court info from 6/10/23 thru 10/25/23 reference post #35 here:

10/25/23 Update: Hearing on 11/28/23 @ 9am. 11/28/23 Update Next hearing on 12/15/23 @ 8:15am.

Looks like her preliminary hearing has been moved.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
4/1/24
3:00 PM 1Hr ENGLUND, ANNA Preliminary Hearing D72023CR969 Boulder County Courtroom L

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

and I see I posted a wrong case on this thread - oops!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back