CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed

Smaller bullet equals smaller gun equals easier to conceal.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if it is a 22 bullet, with the casing being so tiny, it could easily be run over and squashed flat, knocked over into a ditch yards away or even be stuck in the treads of someones tire.

If he is firing from his vehicle, he is likely fireing from INSIDE the vehicle. So, even if the weapon is a semi-automatic and is ejecting the casings, I would bet most of those casings stay inside the shooters car, and are not ejected out onto the roadway. But like you said, even if a .22 casing does get out, the likelihood of it being found later (sometimes MUCH later) is slim to none.

Agree. I don't buy the "1-2 mile away" shooting theory. You would have little chance of hitting a speeding vehicle at half that distance. If the shooter is stationary, I am sure he is within a hundred yards of the highway. Even then, I think you'd get as many misses as hits. But that certainly could be happening. It could be a .22. That would explain why in many cases no bullet was found: it shattered the window but the bullet ricocheted.

Different methods may have been tried over time, moving from long stationary shots hitting back windows to the this drive by stuff. The lack of better weapons may also be the result of not being able to secure them legally for some reason, but I think it may be a practical consideration, something concealed that can be carried around that wouldn't raise alarm under any circumstances, if stopped by LE, perhaps even?

If he is firing from his vehicle, he is likely fireing from INSIDE the vehicle. So, even if the weapon is a semi-automatic and is ejecting the casings, I would bet most of those casings stay inside the shooters car, and are not ejected out onto the roadway. But like you said, even if a .22 casing does get out, the likelihood of it being found later (sometimes MUCH later) is slim to none.

What about a revolver?...would that be feasible?

That's true, he may have tried different tactics over time. Started out shooting from afar, then got more bold and more interested in actually hitting his targets and moved closer. Then maybe moved to shooting from a vehicle. Has maybe even used different weapons. Honing his tactics at the same time he is becoming more vicious. I would be very intrested to know the caliber of bullets used in the killings. I don't think that has ever been released has it?

Im no gun expert but I do hunt, if this shooter is taking shots from 2 miles away like some locals have posited, its NOT with a 22 caliber rifle or pistol.

For a shot that long you would need a bigger/more powerful rifle, either military issued or something like a 300 Savage.

**Youd have to be a crack shot to kill someone with a 22 from distance as they arent known for being terrible accurate from far away.

The bullets are also tiny, for a size comparison 22 casings are smaller in diameter than a bic pen and about as long as the the last joint of your pinky, while bullets for a 300 Savage and military rifles are often MUCH larger (like AA battery sized and as long as your index finger.)

Wikipedia has the effective range of a 22 long rifle bullet at 150 yards but in reality its closer to 70-80 yards and the link below discusses this in depth.

http://www.shootersforum.com/rimfire-ammunition/47412-effective-range-22-lr.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks for posting---

I wonder if a thread at the above forum might be helpful...

Different methods may have been tried over time, moving from long stationary shots hitting back windows to the this drive by stuff. The lack of better weapons may also be the result of not being able to secure them legally for some reason, but I think it may be a practical consideration, something concealed that can be carried around that wouldn't raise alarm under any circumstances, if stopped by LE, perhaps even?

Eeeeeeeeeeveryone in Co carries a backpack it seems like.

That's true, he may have tried different tactics over time. Started out shooting from afar, then got more bold and more interested in actually hitting his targets and moved closer. Then maybe moved to shooting from a vehicle. Has maybe even used different weapons. Honing his tactics at the same time he is becoming more vicious. I would be very intrested to know the caliber of bullets used in the killings. I don't think that has ever been released has it?

Nope. Very strict on keeping ballistics info from the public.

If it was a shotgun, and it was being shot from a vehicle, that seems to indicate TWO perps. Right? Could we have two sick knuckleheads driving around shooting at random people?

I am only speculating about the duo of shooters because I cant' see how a driver could manage a rifle while driving and some of the witnesses have spoken about a car pulling alongside them. The shooter could be in the backseat, so they could shift from side to side, depending upon the target.

My three male cousins grew up in a rural are in northern California. Their parents had farms and ranches. [One set of brothers and a cousin.] They used to go hunting all of the time and always had hunting rifles on them. They got in trouble by the sheriff a few times for shooting at birds in town late at night, after leaving a party and having a few beers.

I can imagine that there are lots of buddies that drive around with hunting rifles and could start doing something sick and twisted like shooting at random cars.

So he can't be deaf telling by his timing, and a possible police scanner on, then it's possible puts on ear guards or earmuffs or ear plugs temporarily, just before shooting from inside his car, as he times things, duo or not?

I am only speculating about the duo of shooters because I cant' see how a driver could manage a rifle while driving and some of the witnesses have spoken about a car pulling alongside them. The shooter could be in the backseat, so they could shift from side to side, depending upon the target.

There were two involved in the beltway sniper attacks so I think thats entirely plausible.

If thats the case, then the person driving the car is just as guilty as the person pulling the trigger IMO.

There were two involved in the beltway sniper attacks so I think thats entirely plausible.

If thats the case, then the person driving the car is just as guilty as the person pulling the trigger IMO.

If there are two, then again, LE may have some footage that would tell more.

So he can't be deaf telling by his timing, and a possible police scanner on, then it's possible puts on ear guards or earmuffs or ear plugs temporarily, just before shooting from inside his car, as he times things, duo or not?

If its a .22 is wouldnt be too much of a problem to shoot without ear protection. Some lighter loads make less noise than a pellet gun.

Absolutely. And I wouldnt be surprised if they traded off jobs.

"Inappropriate to comment on whether the shootings were the work of a sniper"?

Yahoo News‎ - 9 hours ago
Police try to Determine if 3 Colorado Shootings are Linked ....
http://news.yahoo.com/police-investigate-colorado-shooting-tied-2-others-141327353.html

FBI Special Agent Thomas Ravenelle said it would be inappropriate to comment on whether the shootings were the work of a sniper.

LOVELAND, Colo. (AP) — Police in northern Colorado are investigating any possible link between the slaying of a man on a neighborhood sidewalk and two previous shootings of a bicyclist and a driver.

Police and the FBI refused to comment Thursday on the possibility of a serial shooter. But they have offered a $10,000 reward for information on the first two unsolved shootings that authorities say are related — though they haven't said how

RBBM

Thank you, Foxfire, for all the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper