CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe with it being the hot end of summer in Phoenix that landscapers would work as early as able to.

It is pretty hot here everyday, 100F... But landscaping usually takes a lot of noise (lawn mowing, blowers etc). So they might start work at around 8am or something. They usually allocate a particular region or community for a particular day. In my gated community they usually work on the Tuesdays. To be honest, there were landscapers working on my neighbour's house at around 1 pm ( at the peak of the heat). Most people in Arizona seem unfazed by the heat which is really surprising. I'm still not used to it. I'm living here only for 2 months now.

A few copycats popping up is scaring me out. I was wondering if his gun was at the pawn shop (like he claims) and someone else is using different guns from the pawn shop. Thus only 4 linked to this man's gun. I really hope they catch the guy and the city is at peace.

Thanks for the warm welcome @Foxfire

I think its good to continue having a healthy dose of skepticism here. There could be others involved. The arraigned suspect could still be an innocent man. I don't think we should jump to conclusions yet.

I also just saw his courtroom arraignment video. Now, I normally don't believe most things perps say, but I must admit I kinda quasi-believed he was genuine when he told the judge "he wasn't responsible" and that he didn't own the gun for a long time. So its got me thinking.

Right now, the only evidence LEO and the prosecutor provided that linked the suspect to the crime is ballistics proving it was the same gun and furthermore that the suspect allegedly owned it during the crime spree? That's it? Ideally we'd like to see proven reports that physically links him on location and proves he was actually on the highway at those times the incidents took place too.

I mean, lets explore possibilities. Is it not possible that somebody else at the pawn store, who had access to the gun the suspect allegedly bought and re-pawned, simply tried to set this man up by lying to authorities about the transfer of ownership to the firearm? Is it not possible for a third party to have broken into the pawn shop to "borrow" the gun to commit a crime, and then returning the gun? Are we merely going by the words of the pawn shop owner surrounding the timeline of the gun's ownership by the suspect? Do they have CCTV surveillance videos showing physical proof when the suspect bought and pawned the firearm?

I would say the suspect is, shall we say, a little too convenient. Gun nut. Anarchist. Trashy. Its possible its him. Mostly though, I want to see physical proof that puts the suspect on location at the time those separate incidents occurred.

Well, Hello everyone, I've been following this story every day because I live in Arizona (recently moved here)... . <abridged, with respect, for focus>

Has anyone collectively written the timings of all the 11 shootings in AZ? I remember the first shooting at 5:50 am. Do landscapers really work that early?... .

Welcome to the thread, Sunset! Glad you joined. We have tried to take just that approach with the NOCO shooting, but not so much yet on the I-10 case. Here's a good resource, from ABC15, with good interactive maps, and details on timing.

INTERACTIVE: Shootings timeline
http://www.abc15.com/freewayshootings

Screenshot 2015-09-19 at 9.10.32 PM.jpg

Here is a direct link to the map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zu2bNacaxUcY.kLsjTZQ4QsLQ

Phoenix handled Arizona freeway shooting threat with post-9/11 poise
Police captured a prime suspect in four of 11 Arizona freeway shootings. Phoenix residents exhibited calm and determination during the shooting threat.

By Patrik Jonsson, The Christian Science Monitor
SEPTEMBER 19, 2015

[...]

But the apparent culmination of the freeway drama also highlighted the extent to which Arizonans shrugged off panic by carrying on their normal &#8211; and sometimes dreary &#8211; commute, more alert than anxious, even in the face of an active shooting situation that Department of Public Safety Director Frank Milstead identified as an act of &#8220;domestic terrorism."

[...]

Gun found at pawnshop provided break in I-10 shootings case
By Terry Tang and Brian Skoloff, The Associated Press/AZ Daily

Bart Graves, Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman

"declined to comment on Merritt&#8217;s statement in court that his gun was in the pawn shop at the time of the shootings and similar statements made by his family.

&#8220;The evidence as you&#8217;ll see in the next couple of days speaks for itself,&#8221;... &#8220;We&#8217;re not going to get in a debate about that.&#8221;

Tom Mangan, a special agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which has been assisting in the investigation, said the evidence gathered by DPS leaves &#8220;no doubt&#8221; the gun used was the one owned and pawned by Merritt.

... a bullet contains certain land and groove impressions after it&#8217;s been fired that are unique to a particular firearm. Firearms examiners would have test-fired the suspect&#8217;s gun and found impressions in the bullet that matched any ballistic evidence recovered from the shooting scenes.

&#8220;That&#8217;s a very lucky investigative lead that that gun wasn&#8217;t destroyed or thrown into the bottom of a river or buried,&#8221; Mangan said.

[...]

As pointed out, the gang activity does seem intense. Some of the links below are related & others included for reference:

Man shot in stomach Saturday in Loveland
by Jason Pohl, The Coloradoan
4:33 pm mdt September 19 '15

and

Social media threat prompts Front Range CC evacuation
6:39 p.m. MDT September 18, 2015

Rememebring the idea of perches, there was this news too, which if you check the location is between two major roadways:

Police search church roof near Old Town for reported gunman
by Jacy Marmaduke, The Coloradoan
12:55 pm mdt September 18 '15

More gang violence here:

Pueblo police investigating fatal shooting
By Angela Case, FOX21

September 15, 2015, 10:12 am

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...investigating-fight-shooting-saturday-morning

http://www.westword.com/news/broad-...-gang-related-teen-hit-multiple-times-7132345
By Micheal Roberts, Westword

Family grieving over loss of man killed in Pueblo shooting
Dana Clemens, KRDO
10:07 PM MDT Sep 15, 2015

Posted for reference:

No Indication Two New Colorado Shootings Part of Spree: Police
by Erik Ortiz, NBCNews
SEP 17 '15, 6:37 pm et

and

"In June, one person was shot at while riding a motorcycle in the town of Loveland. Minutes later, a pedestrian was killed nearby. Officials have also determined that the those two cases are connected.

Video of AZ shooter in court
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/judge-sets-bond-at-1m-for-arizona-highway-shooting-suspect-528623683989

interesting news, not related, though a duo who don't seem to like LE
http://gazette.com/man-pleads-guilty-to-vandalizing-fallen-officer-memorial/article/1559609

Unrelated, but noting
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...robbery-suspect-fled-in-an-older-chevy-blazer

I think its good to continue having a healthy dose of skepticism here. There could be others involved. The arraigned suspect could still be an innocent man. I don't think we should jump to conclusions yet.

I also just saw his courtroom arraignment video. Now, I normally don't believe most things perps say, but I must admit I kinda quasi-believed he was genuine when he told the judge "he wasn't responsible" and that he didn't own the gun for a long time. So its got me thinking.

Right now, the only evidence LEO and the prosecutor provided that linked the suspect to the crime is ballistics proving it was the same gun and furthermore that the suspect allegedly owned it during the crime spree? That's it? Ideally we'd like to see proven reports that physically links him on location and proves he was actually on the highway at those times the incidents took place too.

I mean, lets explore possibilities. Is it not possible that somebody else at the pawn store, who had access to the gun the suspect allegedly bought and re-pawned, simply tried to set this man up by lying to authorities about the transfer of ownership to the firearm? Is it not possible for a third party to have broken into the pawn shop to "borrow" the gun to commit a crime, and then returning the gun? Are we merely going by the words of the pawn shop owner surrounding the timeline of the gun's ownership by the suspect? Do they have CCTV surveillance videos showing physical proof when the suspect bought and pawned the firearm?

I would say the suspect is, shall we say, a little too convenient. Gun nut. Anarchist. Trashy. Its possible its him. Mostly though, I want to see physical proof that puts the suspect on location at the time those separate incidents occurred.

Welcome to the thread, e-sherlockholmes!

I thought he did a pretty good job of declaring his innocence too. And the father.

"Ideally we'd like to see proven reports that physically links him on location and proves he was actually on the highway at those times the incidents took place too." Yes! And in juicy detail, if at all possible! You have to worry about how good the chain of custody could be at a pawn shop.

Welcome to the thread, Sunset! Glad you joined. We have tried to take just that approach with the NOCO shooting, but not so much yet on the I-10 case. Here's a good resource, with good interactive maps, and details on timing.

INTERACTIVE: Shootings timeline
http://www.abc15.com/freewayshootings

Here is a direct link to the map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zu2bNacaxUcY.kLsjTZQ4QsLQ

Thank you so much for this link.

I'd like to apologize for wrongly mentioning the timing of the first incident at 5:50 am. (But there are other ones which are very early in the morning).

I was looking at a few things regarding the timings:

1. at 11:10 am: 29th August: It's a Saturday: Most landscapers do work on Saturdays.
2. around the same time as the first one, and is on the same day too.
3. 10:15 pm on 29th August... (night time, not working time)
4. 9:41pm on 30th August, a Sunday.
5. 31st August, Monday: 4:30am
6. 6th September (A Sunday) - 5:50 pm
7. 6th September: 8:30pm
8. 8th September (A tuesday) -5:21am - A working day - it's early morning
9. Another one on the 8th around 5:35am - A working day - it's early morning
10. 9th September: ( Wednesday) - 10:45am - So my theory of early morning on working days failed right there
11. 10th September: Thursday: 9:40am

Like e-sherlockholmes said, I still am not jumping into conclusions that this is our guy. There are many chances that he is the one. But it might be someone who has access in the pawn shop or something.

<snipped from article for discussion>
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...x-freeway-shootings-suspect-custody/72439462/

He refused to be drawn into questions about the courtroom statements made earlier in the day by Merritt. Merritt told Maricopa County Superior Court Commissioner Lisa Roberts at his initial appearance that he sold the gun to a pawn shop two months ago &#8212; before the shootings began.
_________

I've been thinking, 'anyone responsible for terrorizing a community, placing innocent lives at risk by randomly shooting at vehicles, and then pawning the gun used in the heinous crimes, 'must be a few cards short of a full deck'.. And then I remember the first rule of sleuthing psychopaths; 'never ever mis-underestimate them'.. Regardless of their intelligence quotient, which is normally rather high. I've found an overwhelming majority of them to be very calculating, creative, deflective, and manipulative; cagey.. Many times they will outwit even the most experienced investigators..

'But what if'?

Seems that it would be very easily verified if LAM's 9mm firearm were connected to the 4 shootings via ballistics forensic tests of the unique barrel characteristics; rifling, scratches, and striations, etc. What if the 9mm were held in pawn, after being pawned 2 months ago and then later, paying it out of pawn after the shootings, exchanging barrels and then selling the 9mm back to the same shop? Sure hope he didn't pull a ruse on investigators by having an extra non-registered 9mm with exchangeable barrels, providing a preplanned alibi for his gun for the past two months..

Thank you so much for this link.

I'd like to apologize for wrongly mentioning the timing of the first incident at 5:50 am. (But there are other ones which are very early in the morning).

I was looking at a few things regarding the timings:

1. at 11:10 am: 29th August: It's a Saturday: Most landscapers do work on Saturdays.
2. around the same time as the first one, and is on the same day too.
3. 10:15 pm on 29th August... (night time, not working time)
4. 9:41pm on 30th August, a Sunday.
5. 31st August, Monday: 4:30am
6. 6th September (A Sunday) - 5:50 pm
7. 6th September: 8:30pm
8. 8th September (A tuesday) -5:21am - A working day - it's early morning
9. Another one on the 8th around 5:35am - A working day - it's early morning
10. 9th September: ( Wednesday) - 10:45am - So my theory of early morning on working days failed right there
11. 10th September: Thursday: 9:40am

Like e-sherlockholmes said, I still am not jumping into conclusions that this is our guy. There are many chances that he is the one. But it might be someone who has access in the pawn shop or something.

Nice work. You could still be right, despite the 10:45 AM timing for 9/9/15. Do we know his work schedule or duties? Driving may have been part of them. I think that I saw something about his work days earlier in the thread, but am having a hard time finding it. And your hypothesis does hold up nicely for the first four shootings most clearly identified with him.

It's like someone is making stuff up to be topical - or to mess with us. (It is a real TV station, though. I checked.) This story is about the unexplained rear window of a stationary cop car shattering during a crash investigation.

69 News, WFMZ.com
I-78 shut down in Hunterdon County for 'active investigation' following crash, police say

"Antonio Melendez, Jr., 29, of Phillipsburg, was driving a 2000 Honda Civic when he crashed on the right shoulder [of I-78 in Hunterdon County Saturday morning.] While the troopers were attending to Melendez, the rear window of the State Police Tahoe was struck and shattered by an unknown object. There was a search in the area of the crash for potential subjects immediately following the broken window, but no suspicious persons were located."

I wasn't able to find any similar incidents along I-78 in that area.

It's like someone is making stuff up to be topical - or to mess with us. (It is a real TV station, though. I checked.) This story is about the unexplained rear window of a stationary cop car shattering during a crash investigation.

69 News, WFMZ.com
I-78 shut down in Hunterdon County for 'active investigation' following crash, police say

"Antonio Melendez, Jr., 29, of Phillipsburg, was driving a 2000 Honda Civic when he crashed on the right shoulder [of I-78 in Hunterdon County Saturday morning.] While the troopers were attending to Melendez, the rear window of the State Police Tahoe was struck and shattered by an unknown object. There was a search in the area of the crash for potential subjects immediately following the broken window, but no suspicious persons were located."

I wasn't able to find any similar incidents along I-78 in that area.

Some more on it:

Window of State Police SUV Intentionally Shattered During Accident Investigation in NJ
By Steve Beck, NBC10 Philadelphia
2:19 pm edt on Sep 19 '15

Cop Car's Smashed Window Leads to Hours-Long Road Closure, Manhunt
Investigation into crash, damaged patrol car still ongoing, police report.
Long Valley, NJ

By Jason Koestenblatt (Patch Staff)
September 19 '15

Route 78 in Hunterdon County closes for hours in police manhunt
By Dan Alexander, NJ101.5 more details & photos
September 19 '15 8:28 am

AZ Shootings:
Phoenix freeway shootings: Bullet fragments lead to suspect Leslie Allen Merritt Jr., DPS says
Jim Walsh, Megan Cassidy, Garrett Mitchell and Jerod MacDonald-Evoy, The AZ Republic
11:18 pm mst September 19 '15

The Phoenix freeway-shootings investigation took Arizona and federal law-enforcement officials along a path of evidence that started with bullet fragments, led to a 9mm handgun and culminated Friday with the arrest of a man who insists he is innocent.

[...]

Investigators identified the type of gun and scoured Valley pawnshops for that kind of weapon.

[...]

Graves said the ballistics tests performed on the gun eventually established a match between bullet fragments recovered from four shootings and the weapon. From there, investigators looked at the pawnshop&#8217;s records and identified Merritt.

[...]

Phoenix freeway shooting suspect Leslie Allen Merritt Jr.'s dad defends son
Nohelani Graf, ABC15
10:13 pm, Sep 19 '15

18:40 minute raw interview with dad about his "lovable teddy bear" who "would give you the shirt off his back"... continues his take on gun safety and um, well, not the weather... but "let's be honest" it is interesting to hear as he puts out the "reasonable doubts" about the case. He pleads for sympathy and his son's presumed innocence. Balls out the Gov, SM posters, LE procedures, and the arrest. LE is "grasping at straws," the "oxymoron" in their announcement. He vows to stand by his son as any dad would come what may and to take care of his family. He dismisses discussions of his son's SM posts or of a friend whose name I couldn't hear.

It sounds like the family may have known something was up as LAM headed out to go shopping, from the chain of events dad describes prior to the arrest @ about 14:58 after he says "pick a side." (if a sleuther could check me on this impression, please?)

"If my son did this, he deserves to be punished. I do not believe he did it. And I will defend his right to innocent until my last breath," said Merritt Sr.

Freeway shootings suspect held on $1M bond; Leslie Allen Merritt, Jr. says he's not the shooter
Elizabeth Erwin & ABC15 reports
Sep 19, 2015
1 hour ago

"The employer says Merritt has been working with him for eight months without complaint. He says Merritt has never caused trouble and is a dedicated father who works hard for his family."

Ms. Erwin reports the employer is in disbelief (off cam) and believes LAM may have been working during one of the shootings. There are also details from the pawn shop's most recent statement about LE's outreach for information that lead to the gun matching evidence from the shootings through tests, and about the required paperwork in AZ that led LE from Mo's to LAM.

Bus Driver, Victim Of Alleged Arizona Freeway Shooter Speaks Out
Greg Mills, CBS2
September 19 '15 8:44 pm

[...]

Officials said his car was forensically matched to the crimes.

[... Mr. MCDonald Jr. recalls]

He was bringing a tour group from Phoenix to Costa Mesa &#8212; in the similar bus that got shot up.
&#8220;I heard a loud bang and thought a rock had hit me, or I may have run over something,&#8221; he said, recalling the shooting.

[...]

&#8220;Funny thing is,&#8221; he said, &#8220;I ended up winning $4 on the Powerball.&#8221;

bbm

Very clear version of the Court Appearance on KPHO CBS5
http://www.kpho.com/story/30067761/i-10-shooting-suspect-makes-1st-court-appearance?autostart=true

Nice work. You could still be right, despite the 10:45 AM timing for 9/9/15. Do we know his work schedule or duties? Driving may have been part of them. I think that I saw something about his work days earlier in the thread, but am having a hard time finding it. And your hypothesis does hold up nicely for the first four shootings most clearly identified with him.

His work schedules and by tracing his location via GPS on his car or phone would easily pin him down (or not).
I am wondering how he could have managed shooting and his normal life with his family. Shooting some car randomly and walking home like nothing happened ... If he is really the one, I feel sorry for the family. They would have to cope up with a lot of criticism, especially the kids in the future. I pray the family isn't judged for what he has done.

Do you guys really think there are copycats or all by the same person?

Police: Gun Not Pawned at Time of Arizona Freeway Shootings
by Philp Helsel, NBCNews
SEP 20 '15, 3:02 am et

[...]

Police said in a report that "at the time of the shootings in question the firearm was not in pawn status." Police also said that Merritt's social media pages referenced the "I-10 shooter" case.

[...]

"We have no doubt to his innocence," Merritt Sr. said. "We hope whoever has done this &#8212; regardless of who it is &#8212; eventually is caught and faces justice for it. We feel for all the people that were subjected to this violence."

"I would just ask that everybody let this play out in court," Merritt Sr. said.

I-10 suspect's online behavior may provide clues to possible motive
By Derek Staahl, CBS5 / KPHO
Sep 20 '15 1:17 am edt

Timothy Franklin, a retired police officer and Secret Service Agent, from ASU School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, says

"that behavior matches a common motive in serial shooting cases: a desire to gain notoriety.

&#8220;When he posted all the various different kinds of coverage that was going on about him, he was basically telling the world, &#8216;Hey look at this. Look what's going on.&#8217; And in essence, he was saying, &#8216;Look at me, look what I'm doing,&#8217;&#8221;

[... he had]

predicted earlier this week that law enforcement would hone in on a suspect between the ages of 18 and 24 years old. Merritt is 21.

... targeting cars at random also suggests &#8220;thrill-seeking behavior.&#8221;

[...]

&#8220;Anytime you go into a pawn shop, you're going to be videotaped. All of your actions are going to be digitally recorded,&#8221; he said, adding that pawn shops are required by state law to keep detailed records of when weapons are brought in or taken out, and by whom.

[...]

Northern Colorado task force updates public on shooting investigation
By Frank Ramirez, Ledger Gazette
September 20 '15

"If you see the vehicle moving and/or occupied, immediately call 911 and, if possible, safely gather as much information as possible, such as the license plate number, distinguishing characteristics of the vehicle, a description of people inside or even a photograph. These agencies were added to the task force to increase effectiveness in the areas of processing information and gathering intelligence on criminal activity in the surrounding region. You are encouraged to contact the task force again, by any method you are comfortable with, and give specific details to support why you believe what you have already reported is accurate."

[...]

"Authorities said evidence, which has not been disclosed, connected the two incidents. A shooting that killed a man walking on a Loveland sidewalk and a shooting that didn&#8217;t injure anyone earlier the same day are believed to be linked to each other but not to the earlier two shootings."

~

http://www.dispatchtimes.com/police...ngs-appeal-to-tipster-reward-now-50000/96128/
September 20 '15

Moore said the task force has processed more than 340,385 cell phone numbers, followed more than 2,550 leads, and conducted over 500 interviews.

Not related but of interest:

Colorado Cold Cases: Boulder deputies were stymied by apparent random highway shooting in 2004
By Kirk Mitchell, The Denver Post (blogs)
September 4 '15, 1:25 pm

[...]

Santos&#8217; car window was shattered. He had been shot in the left side of his head.

A second witness who was three cars behind Santos, told police he saw glass &#8220;spraying on the highway&#8221; beneath the other cars before Santos` vehicle started to weave and hit the median, West said.

[...]

There had been one shot, apparently fired from the car that had passed Santos, according to a series of stories in the Boulder Daily Camera.

[...]

Some witnesses had reported seeing a large, dark SUV in the area just before the wreck. There were few buildings or houses in the area.

[...]

The evidence put the killer&#8217;s gun within a few feet of Santos at the time the trigger was pulled. It had happened as two cars were going 70 mph.

[...]

&#8220;Obviously a random act is a lot harder to solve, but it`s also a lot scarier for the community,&#8221; Pelle said. &#8220;That`s why we`ll keep working on it for as long as we can..&#8221;

The sheriff&#8217;s office had as many as 10 investigators working on the case.

[...]

He mentioned the case of a 7-month-old baby who was shot in the head in the back of a car headed south on Interstate 25 in Northglenn. The baby survived.
No arrests have been made in that case.

[...]

Investigators checked with metro-area gang units to see whether a random drive-by shooting is a known initiation into any area gang. But a veteran of the Denver gang bureau said drive-by shootings typically do not involve strangers, according to one media report. They always targeted rival gang members

[....]

Well, Hello everyone, I've been following this story every day because I live in Arizona (recently moved here). I don't travel much and my husband does not use the I-10 but ofcourse the fear was lurking in my heart.
I read a lot about serial killers, spree killers etc. I really wanted to contribute something instead of just reading, so I joined websleuths.

Has anyone collectively written the timings of all the 11 shootings in AZ? The father mentioned that the suspect was working and we should ask the boss to get the confirmation on that.
I remember the first shooting at 5:50 am. Do landscapers really work that early?

Then there was a shooting at around 11am and then in the evening too. How can a guy switch from work and shooting like that?

Welcome to the discussion, Sunset :) .
:welcome:

Also, welcome e-sherlockholmes :)
:welcome4:

:

His work schedules and by tracing his location via GPS on his car or phone would easily pin him down (or not).
I am wondering how he could have managed shooting and his normal life with his family. Shooting some car randomly and walking home like nothing happened ... If he is really the one, I feel sorry for the family. They would have to cope up with a lot of criticism, especially the kids in the future. I pray the family isn't judged for what he has done.

Do you guys really think there are copycats or all by the same person?

All of these random shooters are copying one another back thru history to the one, original father of it all, some dufus with a spear, sitting on a log somewhere, scratching his *advertiser censored* and watching someone go by on a horse when the moment of seminal genius struck and he thought to himself "Yup. Bet I could hit 'em. That'd sure get 'em talking back at the cave. Yup."

I think that there are fair odds that more than one person was involved in the I-10 shootings, or at least in the unexplained window shatterings that seemed to accompany them. DPS has suggested that possibility, and I've been arguing that some social dynamic is helping to drive the recent increase in these kinds of random highway shootings. That said, perpetrators of past series of random highway shootings have sometimes operated in pairs, but mostly alone.

<snipped from article for discussion>
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...x-freeway-shootings-suspect-custody/72439462/

He refused to be drawn into questions about the courtroom statements made earlier in the day by Merritt. Merritt told Maricopa County Superior Court Commissioner Lisa Roberts at his initial appearance that he sold the gun to a pawn shop two months ago &#8212; before the shootings began.
_________

I've been thinking, 'anyone responsible for terrorizing a community, placing innocent lives at risk by randomly shooting at vehicles, and then pawning the gun used in the heinous crimes, 'must be a few cards short of a full deck'.. And then I remember the first rule of sleuthing psychopaths; 'never ever mis-underestimate them'.. Regardless of their intelligence quotient, which is normally rather high. I've found an overwhelming majority of them to be very calculating, creative, deflective, and manipulative; cagey.. Many times they will outwit even the most experienced investigators..

'But what if'?

Seems that it would be very easily verified if LAM's 9mm firearm were connected to the 4 shootings via ballistics forensic tests of the unique barrel characteristics; rifling, scratches, and striations, etc. What if the 9mm were held in pawn, after being pawned 2 months ago and then later, paying it out of pawn after the shootings, exchanging barrels and then selling the 9mm back to the same shop? Sure hope he didn't pull a ruse on investigators by having an extra non-registered 9mm with exchangeable barrels, providing a preplanned alibi for his gun for the past two months..

This was news to me. So the barrels on some semiautomatic pistols can be swapped out? Can you tell when that's happened or trace barrels?

Welcome to the thread, e-sherlockholmes!

I thought he did a pretty good job of declaring his innocence too. And the father.

"Ideally we'd like to see proven reports that physically links him on location and proves he was actually on the highway at those times the incidents took place too." Yes! And in juicy detail, if at all possible! You have to worry about how good the chain of custody could be at a pawn shop.

I don't think the suspect is that bright, shall we say. I don't think he is some sort of mastermind or master manipulator. Therefore, I thought his demeanor in court with his answers denying any guilt, seemed semi-believable to me because he has no filter and lack self awareness, making his actions more believable.

I think this is a guy who doesn't know the legal system well. Doesn't play the 'shut up and let the lawyer speak' games that some of the wiser folks will play. The suspect simply spoke his mind, uninhibited, and he wanted to tell the authority figure, the judge, he's innocent thinking it makes any difference. Either its that, or he really is a master manipulator, because I kinda semi-believed him.

That being said, he could still be guilty though and LEO caught the right guy. What I'd like prosecutors to prove is something that links him on location to every separate shootings that occurred. Only if they can prove that, does that prove guilt 'beyond a reasonable doubt' to me.

About the father... wow he cleaned up nice? I remember an ABC interview where they cold-knocked on his door right after the son's arrest. He wasn't even dressed and looked really trashy. Then, in the sit down TV interview, he was dressed, and he was eloquent in the way he talks. I was shocked at the transformation. And he made some good points too. Nowadays, everybody knows about ballistics. You have to be a moron to sell a gun with the same barrel used in a crime. Even the dumbest criminal knows to file out or damage the barrel before discarding a gun used in a crime.

Then again, this suspect doesn't appear to be a Rhode's scholar type. Is it possible someone is that dumb to commit a crime and then sell that same gun, un-tampered with, to allow forensics to be done on the gun and later get said seller convicted? Perhaps there are people that dumb. But most criminals today would probably not have done that. And if this suspect happens to be smart enough to not leave clues to incriminate himself like that, as I suspect most people would be nowadays, then this does seem like somebody is setting the suspect up.

That being said though, the whole crime spree itself of just randomly shooting up cars on a freeway is pretty stupid too, because clearly its open space with a lot of people and cops and cameras, and they do crime like this out in the open? The suspect is bound to get caught. So again, maybe the real criminal ain't the smartest tool in the shed either, in that case it would give credence to the current suspect. i.e. its some gun nut redneck with zero sophistication doing stupid illegal crap not giving any thought to his actions at all, no different to 'shooting squirrels' out in the woods.

This was news to me. So the barrels on some semiautomatic pistols can be swapped out? Can you tell when that's happened or trace barrels?

You can take out most of the barrels of most modern semiauto pistols. Most parts are replaceable and the modern guns can be fully disassembled.

Is it possible for the real criminal to switch out the barrels of a matching gun found at a pawn store? That's possible. I was under the impression they put the suspect in possession of the firearm during the crime spree based on the purchase & pawning of the gun. So switching barrels might be a moot point, unless you're saying someone went to the pawn store to swap the barrel soon after the suspect pawns the gun back to the shop, and then called the cops on the suspect.

Yes, and you can also order replacement barrels. I think you may not be catching my drift, Forager. The shootings would be carried with a completely different firearm, but with the barrel of the firearm registered to LAM. The barrels would be switched back before the sale takes place with mo money pawn. The alibi for his registered firearm would then be established.

There are many scams pulled on pawn shops, as you can imagine. There is one scam where a person walks into a pawn shop with a high value diamond to sell; <cut, clarity, color, and carat wt., are all at the top of the grading scale>. Once the pawn shop buyer authenticates and grades the diamond with a 10X diamond loupe, and quotes an offer price, the seller says, 'that's much lower than I was expecting', then gets the diamond back, and walks towards the exit. While walking towards the exit, he/she switches the diamond for a synthetic diamond, or a low quality diamond of identical size, cut, and carat wt., returns to the buyer and says, I've changed my mind, I've decided to sell it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966