GUILTY CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge *Arrest* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder what this month of April (and rest of this year) might hold, if anything...

Any news on NS?

Who shot Cori Romero? Who killed John Jacoby? Who killed William Connole? Is this person (s) still in my backyard?

<BBM for Focus>

Nope margarita25, crickets on NS..

Could this be anything? What are these incidents, have we mentioned them anywhere upstream?

Gun information links man to 2 separate shooting
http://www.9news.com/news/crime/gun-information-links-man-to-2-separate-shooting/114259854

"The case was unsolved until the gun used in the shooting was linked through the National Integrated Ballistic Network to the gun used in an unrelated shooting in Colorado Springs in Nov. 2015.

The Crime Gun Intelligence Center in Denver worked with ATF's Colorado Springs Gun Task Force and the Colorado Springs Police Department Gang Unit to identify Lomeli-Casillas as the suspect in both shootings."

Sounds gang related, so maybe unlikely but posting for reference.

Hard to tell, but there is at least one connection to our case. The link between the suspect and the attempted murders was established by an officer working with the Crime Gun Intelligence Center (CGIC), a group also involved in the NoCO Task Force's test of the Firefly shot detection system.

According to a 2/17/15 ATF News Release, "[Denver's] Crime Gun Intelligence Center is a partnership between ATF, Denver Police Department, Aurora Police Department, Lakewood Police Department, the District Attorney's Offices for Denver, Arapahoe, Adams, and Jefferson counties, and the U.S. Attorney's Office. The Crime Gun Intelligence Center uses cutting edge technology and a dedicated investigative team to stop shooters and identify their source of crime guns before they can commit further criminal acts."

The ATF provides the group with access to its National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN), which logs data on bullets and shell casings involved in crimes for comparison and matching, much as NamUs does for missing persons.

Hard to tell, but there is at least one connection to our case. The link between the suspect and the attempted murders was established by an officer working with the Crime Gun Intelligence Center (CGIC), a group also involved in the NoCO Task Force's test of the Firefly shot detection system.

According to a 2/17/15 ATF News Release, "[Denver's] Crime Gun Intelligence Center is a partnership between ATF, Denver Police Department, Aurora Police Department, Lakewood Police Department, the District Attorney's Offices for Denver, Arapahoe, Adams, and Jefferson counties, and the U.S. Attorney's Office. The Crime Gun Intelligence Center uses cutting edge technology and a dedicated investigative team to stop shooters and identify their source of crime guns before they can commit further criminal acts."

The ATF provides the group with access to its National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN), which logs data on bullets and shell casings involved in crimes for comparison and matching, much as NamUs does for missing persons.

:rockon:

(Always and still looking for that truck btw. I see them everyday, ones that could be that truck, you know, sanded, repainted. It's time to bump that truck. (It's probably in the bottom of a pond, or maybe in a barn, maybe stripped, who knows...)

Have You Seen This "Vehicle of Interest" in Northern Colorado Shootings?
http://www.westword.com/news/have-y...terest-in-northern-colorado-shootings-6726797

attachment.php

Attachments

• northern.colorado.shootings.vehicle.of.interest.jpg
    northern.colorado.shootings.vehicle.of.interest.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 73
Who killed William "Bill" Connolly and John Jacoby?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 635795024111031830-composite2.jpg
    635795024111031830-composite2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 70
(Wow, all these secret "undisclosed" agencies are finally coming to light, lol. )

Thank goodness there are major military and gov't agencies still working on this. Please get these 's off my/our streets! :) Find whoever killed WC and JJ and hold them accountable! I have faith now! Yay! (And if you need any help at all whatsoever with any notes, etc, please click on my signature lol. Always my pleasure to assist the FBI and other undisclosed agencies. :) )

"Why the silence in NoCO?" No news, is my guess. The last reported window shattering was on Nov. 30. The press might be bored with the window shatterings, and LE reticent about them, but I think we'd have heard something. It might be the winter. And we would certainly have heard about seemingly random attacks, or if the Task Force had good news to report.

"Has the NOCO Highway Sniper Task Force been disbanded?" As recently as late December, the Task Force was saying that it was still fully staffed and active. The last reference I've seen to the Task force was a piece on a US Army website. I've pasted the whole story (which is fair game with government publications) and boldfaced interesting bits:

Department of Justice uses Army equipment to locate shooters, March 10, 2016
By Carlotta Maneice, AMRDEC Public Affairs, on WWW.Army.mil

REDSTONE ARSENAL, Ala. (March 10, 2016) -- Army technology recently found a role in civilian law enforcement. The Northern Colorado Serial Shooter Task Force, made up of various Colorado law enforcement agencies, and the Denver Field Division of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, recently tested the Firefly system in support of the Crime Gun Intelligence Center initiative.

FireFly is a government-owned technology developed by the Army's Research Laboratory and the Army Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center. AMRDEC FireFly sensors were placed in an urban environment for the first time in conjunction with the CIGC initiative.

"FireFly acoustic/EO sensor was designed for shooter detection and geo-location to support small installations, independent of installation power," said Timothy Edwards, AMRDEC Chief Scientist-Force Protection Technologies. "CGIC utilized the FireFly acoustic gunshot locator system in conjunction with the National Integrated Ballistic Information Network in an effort to identify active shooters in urban settings."

Five FireFly ground systems and seven FireFly-lite systems were installed in various Colorado locations for a comprehensive systematic approach to provide rapid site exploitation of firearm ballistics. The FireFly sensors are lightweight, have 360 degree surveillance capability and have been under development for more than a decade.

"The uniqueness of FireFly is its capability of being rapidly deployed," said Tim Kelly, who oversees Denver's arson and explosives group and investigates gun violence in northern Colorado. "We used this tool to target serial gang shooters and identify where the shooting took place."

Originally deployed to Afghanistan as a tripod-mounted system to detect hostile small arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades, the FireFly's sensors are sophisticated enough to group threats into small arms fire, heavy machine gun, or rockets artillery classifications.

"We hope to continue collaborating with AMRDEC and ARL to develop the next generation of FireFly that can be used in urban areas, is more concealable and will provide the ability to respond to ongoing threats in a community," said Kelly.

A Firefly sensor array:

attachment.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"An ATF Special Agent fires a weapon to test Firefly acoustics in Northern Colorado"

attachment.php

[End of Army.mil story]

I had noticed the story a couple of weeks ago, but held off posting about it while I waited for a response from the Task Force's PIO. I'd sent him an e-mail asking if he had any concerns about my posting the story here and possibly tipping off the Task Force's quary to this new tool. He never responded.

I think that you put your finger on it about having enough sensors up to cover enough area. I don't think that the Task Force's equipment could cover more than a very small fraction of what I think of as our case area. I haven't been able to find much information on Firefly's range, and the technology is evolving, but I don't think that the Task Force's "five FireFly ground systems and seven FireFly-lite systems" combined could cover more than a few square miles.

Firefly had been designed as a defensive system to let soldiers know where incoming shots are coming from. The Army would put the ground systems up over bases, or the FireFly-lite systems on troopers' backpacks in Afghanistan to be able to quickly respond to snipers. (http://www.army.mil/article/105331/Army_harnesses_sun_to_reduce_casualties_from_sniper_attacks/). It wasn't designed for area coverage, per se. ShotSpotter, a competing systems that is designed for area coverage requires upwards of several sensors per square mile. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/25/william-bratton-shotspotter-get-a-life_n_6939070.html)

A few square miles would only represent a fraction of our "case area" however you define it. If you draw a circle that only just includes the Romero, Jacoby, and Connole shootings along its perimeter, you have an area of about 99 square miles. (See the blue circle in the map below). If the FireFly deployment is targeted at the I-25 window shatterings, it has a stretch of over 50 miles of highway to cover between the southernmost and northernmost window shattering locations. Let's hope that the Task Force has figured out a clever way to focus the technology on a likely area, and gets lucky.

From the case map:
attachment.php

Firefly (top of frame) and RENEWS solar panels (foreground). Photo credit: WWW.Army.mil:

attachment.php

This is really exciting stuff. Too stoked to post, still absorbing it all...

Posting for reference:

Family searches for justice after son's death
http://www.9news.com/news/crime/family-searches-for-justice-after-sons-death/116119654

It's an article about an unsolved homicide, a man in Aurora shot while driving. Again, could be totally unrelated, perhaps he was shot by someone he knew. Do we have any incidents upstream mentioning a white 4door sedan? Anything else near this location?

"Aurora Police say Bailey was shot near East Warren Drive and East Pacific Circle on the morning of December 22, 2015. Prior to the shooting, investigators say a white 4-door sedan was following Bailey who was driving a blue Volkswagon Jetta.

When Bailey stopped for the stop sign at East Warren Drive and East Iliff Avenue the suspect’s vehicle pulled alongside of Bailey’s vehicle where both men had a brief verbal exchange. As Bailey pulled into the intersection shots were fired by the suspect, one of them struck and killed Bailey. Bailey’s vehicle then collided with another vehicle in the eastbound lanes of Iliff Avenue."

*in the video it says they initially thought he died bc of the car accident, only realizing later he had been shot. So maybe the sedan appeared on a surveillance cam? I have always wondered in the initial threads if other car accidents were caused by our shooter (s) and we just don't know about it.

Aurora is way south of the CR, JJ and WC incidents, and has a lot of crime and gang activity, jmo. I do recall some discussions re: Aurora incidents way upstream, though. Checking map.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/victim-in-west-denver-homicide-idd/119746965

"DENVER - Authorities have identified the man who was shot and killed while he was*riding his motorcycle in a west Denver alley Sunday afternoon.

Scott Breitinger, 45, died of multiple gunshot wounds. Police have not released any information about the suspect in the shooting, or said if the two men knew each other.

Denver Police say Breitinger was riding his motorcycle in the 3200 block of West Nevada Place at around 12:45 p.m. Sunday when he was confronted and shot."

More information about my post above (I don't think this sounds like our shooter (s)):

Suspect sought after motorcyclist fatally shot in alley
http://kdvr.com/2016/04/03/denver-police-responds-to-shooting-on-west-nevada-place/

"The victim was riding a black motorcycle eastbound in the alley when witnesses said he got into an argument with a man who was walking in the area. Police said during the confrontation, that man pulled out a gun and shot the motorcyclist."

http://www.reporterherald.com/news/ci_29739694/county-vote-shooting-task-force-lease-extension

The shooting task force has renewed its lease for another six months...

I was just getting on to post this. At least we know they are doing something (???). I live right by the Harmony Corridor, it's very scary.

Wow! Thanks for the update! From the above link:

County to vote on shooting task force lease extension
Larimer Board of County Commissioners reviewed requests from Larimer County Sheriff's Office for task force, radios, other upgrades

"The task force charged with investigating three shootings in Northern Colorado that led to two unsolved murders last year will continue to operate from an undisclosed location.

Among a list of funding requests from carryover money that the Larimer County Sheriff's Office brought to the Board of Larimer County Commissioners at a work session Wednesday was $33,000 for building rental costs for the task force."

Snip

"Sheriff's Office Captain Robert Coleman said the Northern Colorado Shooting Task Force — composed of representatives from law enforcement agencies in Northern Colorado — is continuing to investigate a series of random shootings."

Snip

"The task force was established last May, and it was being run out of the Windsor Police Department, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

"They were gracious enough to host us, but it pretty much stopped all of their day-to-day operations," Coleman said.

So, the task force leased a space off-site that they share with another tenant, but Coleman refused to disclose the location to commissioners.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation paid for the lease twice, according to Coleman, but he said he doesn't know if the federal funds will be available again.

He also said he didn't know when the task force would find out if the federal government would pay for the lease again, however he should know before its end in June.

Still, the task force wanted to be sure it had the money to continue to operate in case federal funds don't come through.

" ... we don't want to stop the momentum," Coleman said. "We want to keep things as they are.""

That <modsnip> ridiculous man.

Such contemporary phrasing, Mags! Assuming that you are endeavoring to underscore the emotive impact of the image, I agree! I wish you could have seen the original image, big and vivid. That stretch of countryside is so beautiful.

Such contemporary phrasing, Mags! Assuming that you are endeavoring to underscore the emotive impact of the image, I agree! I wish you could have seen the original image, big and vivid. That stretch of countryside is so beautiful.

Yes, Forager. The impact of the image, all the incidents. Just ridiculous lol.

Eta: And of course, nice job as always. I wanted to ask your permission if could switch out my other map avatar for the current one. Would need a lighter bg though I think to provide contrast with an image so small.

Thanks for helping keep this thread alive.

Eta: And sorry to the mods; in hindsight I don't think my choice of word was, uh, within TOS. I apologize, a couple beers and my tongue gets a little loose I see.)

Yes, Forager. The impact of the image, all the incidents. Just ridiculous lol.

Eta: And of course, nice job as always. I wanted to ask your permission if could switch out my other map avatar for the current one. Would need a lighter bg though I think to provide contrast with an image so small.

Thanks for helping keep this thread alive.

Eta: And sorry to the mods; in hindsight I don't think my choice of word was, uh, within TOS. I apologize, a couple beers and my tongue gets a little loose I see.)

I'd be flattered to have you use that image as your avatar, and you are welcome to try, but I don't think it would work as well as what you already have. The image just turns to mush when you shrink it that much. Let me see if I could extract a smaller strip of the image and work up enough contrast in it to serve in that small format.

I'd be flattered to have you use that image as your avatar, and you are welcome to try, but I don't think it would work as well as what you already have. The image just turns to mush when you shrink it that much. Let me see if I could extract a smaller strip of the image and work up enough contrast in it to serve in that small format.

(Thank you, don't work too hard, my current avatar is fine too! :) )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back