Found Deceased CO - Saza Lee, 54, didn’t return from bike ride, Longmont, 10 Sep 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I' m trying to think of reasons police would say publicly that they believe Saza left of his own accord

-surveillance video, perhaps he was seen being picked up? Does he have other family he may be with?

-a conversation he had with someone. Maybe he contacted work to say he would be away

-bank activity. Account cleared out, or a big withdrawal. But could police assume that's not under duress?

-did he leave a note? In his office? on his computer?

His family must be frantic. Does his wife have access to Saza's bank and credit card records? Is she in contact with his friends and family?

I've probably put two much thought into this. A couple of years ago my husband went to work and didn't come home. Ever. We'd been arguing. His was the pick a fight and then ignore me style so at first I wasn't worried when he didn't respond. But eventually I did get very concerned. After 24 or so hours I texted him that if he didn't pick up my calls or respond I was going to the police, he did reply. Saza is on my mind. If the police are correct, I pray he reaches out to someone.

I' m trying to think of reasons police would say publicly that they believe Saza left of his own accord

-surveillance video, perhaps he was seen being picked up? Does he have other family he may be with?

-a conversation he had with someone. Maybe he contacted work to say he would be away

-bank activity. Account cleared out, or a big withdrawal. But could police assume that's not under duress?

-did he leave a note? In his office? on his computer?

His family must be frantic. Does his wife have access to Saza's bank and credit card records? Is she in contact with his friends and family?

I've probably put two much thought into this. A couple of years ago my husband went to work and didn't come home. Ever. We'd been arguing. His was the pick a fight and then ignore me style so at first I wasn't worried when he didn't respond. But eventually I did get very concerned. After 24 or so hours I texted him that if he didn't pick up my calls or respond I was going to the police, he did reply. Saza is on my mind. If the police are correct, I pray he reaches out to someone.

This article says:
“Now, [BL] is preparing to move to a new home while organizing searches to locate her husband. She explained that her husband provided their primary income, and she can no longer afford her current home.”

So, it does make one wonder about the financial aspect.

Saza “only” went missing 9/10, yet how sad she feels she must move already due to not being able to afford the current home. I feel so bad for his wife.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...woman-seeks-answers-in-husbands-disappearance

I hope the searchers also pay attention to bicyclists in the area for any who might be using his bike - just thinking if a homeless person came across it I'm pretty sure they would take it and be riding it now.

I hope the searchers also pay attention to bicyclists in the area for any who might be using his bike - just thinking if a homeless person came across it I'm pretty sure they would take it and be riding it now.
Excellent point. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing police have the resources to investigate, unfortunately.

I wish there was an update by the Longmont Police. So little to go on.

If he is voluntarily missing, he left on bike quite late. It was dark. Where would he go? Would he continue to ride his bike in the dark through the night, far away? Seems scary to do that.

His wife reportedly called him to say she was going to Loveland and would be back. Loveland is north of Longmont (I think, from what I saw on a map)…so would he bike south (so she wouldn’t see him)?

Or, did someone pick him and his bike up and he traveled by car out of Longmont?

How far does the trail he was on continue?
There are a few options. I linked a map to the Left Hand Greenway. (Kanemoto, the last place seen on camera, is that green space off of S. Pratt Pkway & Missouri Ave)

If he went East, he could have gone to Sandstone Ranch along the St Vrain Greenway (map: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/sandstone-ranch--5 ).

If he continued Southwest from Kanemoto Park, it turns into the LOBO Trail which goes all the way into Boulder and links to Boulder Creek Path (map here: https://assets.bouldercounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/lobo-trail-map-brochure.pdf)

He also could have gone Northwest from Kanemoto Park towards Golden Ponds.

Looks like all of the greenway trails are here in yellow. And of course he could have just gone on roadways as well. ArcGIS Web Application

Attachments

• Lefthand Greenway.jpg
    Lefthand Greenway.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 6
On that point, I've seen more than one article that mentions his helmet and Camelbak, but no description of his bike - make, model, color, size, etc. One photo supposedly shows his bike but it isn't really enough for me to recognize it if I came across it.

On that point, I've seen more than one article that mentions his helmet and Camelbak, but no description of his bike - make, model, color, size, etc. One photo supposedly shows his bike but it isn't really enough for me to recognize it if I came across it.

Looking at the photo--It's a Trek, which according to Mr. Carbuff, who bikes, is a quality brand, but not a $20K racing bike or anything. It appears to be dark blue or black with white trim.

Mr. Carbuff says Mr. Lee could go as far as he wanted with it, on bike trails or roads, even cross country. It's not an off-road bike though.

eta: it doesn't look new to me.

Last edited:
There are a few options. I linked a map to the Left Hand Greenway. (Kanemoto, the last place seen on camera, is that green space off of S. Pratt Pkway & Missouri Ave)

If he went East, he could have gone to Sandstone Ranch along the St Vrain Greenway (map: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/sandstone-ranch--5 ).

If he continued Southwest from Kanemoto Park, it turns into the LOBO Trail which goes all the way into Boulder and links to Boulder Creek Path (map here: https://assets.bouldercounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/lobo-trail-map-brochure.pdf)

He also could have gone Northwest from Kanemoto Park towards Golden Ponds.

Looks like all of the greenway trails are here in yellow. And of course he could have just gone on roadways as well. ArcGIS Web Application

Oh, thank you! That map helps a lot. He really had a lot of options, didn't he.

The first post in this thread has a photo you can enlarge. It's a recent model Trek road or cyclocross bike with disk brakes. I'm going to guess it might be this year and model based on the decal design and color:
2016 CrossRip Elite.
2016 CrossRip Elite - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
ETA: I had suggested in an earlier post that it might be a Trek Chekpoint. I think the current Chekpoint replaced the CrossRip model line a couple of years ago. Trek makes several dozen bike models every year.
Asset_338262

Last edited:
What I think I see by enlarging the picture of his bike:
Color: Black
Brand: “Trek” logo (white outlined letters) on the black frame
Drop handlebars (those curved kinds of bars, not the straight kind)
Water bottle holder
Bontrager logo on tires
Maybe some kind of small black storage bag attached to the top?
JMO
(I’m not very knowledgeable on bicycle types, brands, etc, so excuse my handlebar description. I had to look up that it’s called drop bars, lol)

Last edited:
If he left on his own, I wonder if he had a ride waiting to take him to the airport or something? Does LE have access to flight manifests without subpoena?

If he left his bike and went someplace else via car, I think checking the local pawn shops for the bike would make sense.

There's also a simple bike computer attached to the handlebars with its sensors on the front fork and attached to one of the spokes. This doesn't look like a system that could upload data or that could be used in some way for tracking the bike and/or Mr. Lee. It probably just records mileage and speed.

The first post in this thread has a photo you can enlarge. It's a recent model Trek road or cyclocross bike with disk brakes. I'm going to guess it might be this year and model based on the decal design and color:
2016 CrossRip Elite.
2016 CrossRip Elite - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
ETA: I had suggested in an earlier post that it might be a Trek Chekpoint. I think the current Chekpoint replaced the CrossRip model line a couple of years ago. Trek makes several dozen bike models every year.
Asset_338262
I saw that and could tell it was a Trek, but that still leaves too many options over the last 6 years for anyone to ID it. If you go to Trek's web page there are 86 different road bike - not counting mountain and hybrid bikes - models for 2022 alone. Granted, you can most likely eliminate the high end models like an Emonda SLR 9 and I don't believe I see an ISO coupler near the head tube so it isn't likely a high end Domane. But over the 2016-2022 models that it is still a lot. I can't even tell from the photo if has a single or double chainring. (The Boone and the Crockett models have a single chainring.) I actually thought it might be a Boone, Checkpoint, Crockett, CrossRip or Domane ALR. In a recent casual, not racing, event I was in over the weekend there were 6-8 bikes out of 30 that could fit the description of the bike in the photo. It would help if a better description got out to the cycling community.

There's also a simple bike computer attached to the handlebars with its sensors on the front fork and attached to one of the spokes. This doesn't look like a system that could upload data or that could be used in some way for tracking the bike and/or Mr. Lee. It probably just records mileage and speed.

It's an unusual shape. I'm trying to locate something similar, but so far no luck.

I wonder if he used any of the route-tracking applications.

Probably like this: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ime-cycling-computer/p/21829/?colorCode=black

Good catch. Instead of the DuoTrap on the chainstay (which we can't see in the photo) it receives input from the magnet on the front spokes and the sensor you can see on the front fork. Only mileage and speed, no cadence or GPS.

This doesn't rule out a wrist unit that might record the route using GPS. My Polar wrist unit records my route, but with mine you have to plug it in to a PC to download it. BUT if he had such a unit, LE could look at his downloaded history and see what his most likely routes were in the past.

A post dated 9/27 and comments of interest for Saza’s case on the Voice of Longmont page.
Due to WS rules, we cannot link or discuss.

Recall this quote:
“The Longmont Police Department said they don't believe Saza Lee is the victim of a random crime. Officers said his last cell phone activity was along the bike path near the park.”
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...woman-seeks-answers-in-husbands-disappearance

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phonekace14
Back