Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW GUILTY* #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up, in Cindy’s latest statement she is saying she did get to discuss him pleading guilty, that he said it was what he wanted but in prior interviews she said she did not get to discuss his guilty plea, Sm I understanding this correctly?
I think that she means that she should have had some input when he and his lawyers were discussing the plea.

Why would they expect to be heard in the plea agreement? SW's family was not heard.
SW's parents absolutely were heard! The Prosecutor traveled to NC and spoke to SW's parents about the plea agreement.

Nowhere in my post did I mention the lawyers. Cindy is CW's mother. I doubt he finds his mother's request "offensive." JMO
He may not. I was referring to the public to whom she is speaking when she gives the interviews. I was not trying to imply that he finds it offensive at all. We have no way of knowing that. Jmo

Boy, these "People" articles kind of burn my biscuits. Ugh. Really? "regrets that Nichol got pulled into this" ???? "this"???? As hard as it may be for Nichol, she's walking away alive. How about let's regret doing "this"? We could regret lying, cheating, causing horrendous grief and pain to Shannan's family. Most of all, we could regret brutally cutting short the lives of innocent children and a loving wife. Yes, I feel bad for the AP. She was obviously snowed. But in comparison to what he's done to his babies, Shannan, and Shannan's family, it's nothing.

THANK YOU! I swear, this "source close to Watts" sounds like CW or Mommy Watts themselves. He's more regretful about his mistress "getting pulled into this" than murdering his whole family? More interested in explaining why it was ok that he had an affair than how upset he is about the violent death of his babies?

I hate the use of the word "died" instead of "murdered" in the "source's" quote too. As if they all just had cancer or were in a plane crash or something. Jesus wept.

I would love to know who exactly this sketchy "source" is! Here's the quote they gave People, btw:

“It’s very clear that this wasn’t a healthy marriage for many months before Shan’ann and the girls died. He had checked out, and from what he says, she had checked out, too. Nichol Kessinger showed interest, and in his mind he was single, so it happened. He really regrets that Nichol got pulled into this.”

That's not what Cindy said. She made it quite clear she wants her son to tell her what happened and if he did kill the girls to explain why he told his dad that SW killed the girls. Cindy made it quite clear she would prefer to hear this from her son PRIOR to sentencing. I don't believe her request is unreasonable at all. JMO

Well, who is she making that request to?

She tried to make that request to the judge, which is unlawful.

Then she tried to make that request of the Public Defenders, and it is not up to them to fulfill that request.

Her son is a grown man. If he doesn't want to confess to her, he doesn't have to.

Thanks for this! It confirms that by the Court not authorizing the Entry of Appearance filed earlier by Watts private attorney, their attorney will not be allowed to address the court on Monday, and Cindy will speak on her on behalf.
The defense should be prepared and write out an appology beforehand.

“We apologize for that crazy lady who spoke on behalf of the defendant this morning. The defendant in no way agrees with any of her vile and nonsensical ramblings. We sincerely apologize to the victims and their families, and we hope she gets the help she needs.”

Right, I’m thinking the order claiming paternal grandparent victim rights was filed on their behalf so they have a right to be heard regarding his guilty plea. I don’t see an order for any of the other victims. Seems out of place and odd. Or maybe I’m completely off my rocker.
jmo
I have zero legal knowledge, so it seems really weird that Mrs Watts should be considered a victim when her own son killed her grandchildren and she has spent day after day vocally bashing the woman her son murdered. But that's just me, of course.
She's had her 15 minutes of obfuscation and lies, IMO. She should let her husband do it, he seems a little more rational. Of course it depends on what she says, but if she starts up with the "Shan'ann was dangerous, we didn't even go to the wedding" they should use one of those hooks to get her off the victim bashing soapbox.

Well according to the statute below victims are afforded rights to be heard at any court proceeding where the courts accept a plea and I recall Mrs. Watts stating she wasn’t allowed to be heard at the hearing.

24-4.1-302.5 - Rights affording to the victim

d) The right to be heard at any court proceeding:

(I) Involving the defendant's bond as specified in section 24-4.1-302(2)(c);

(II) At which the court accepts a plea of nolo contendere;

(III) At which the court accepts a negotiated plea agreement;​

https://law.lclark.edu/live/files/4923-colorado
[/QUOTE]
The Court has not yet accepted his plea. That happens at sentencing. Monday.

Is it possible they will ask the Judge to reject the plea deal because they are concerned about their son's state of mind after insisting to his father that he is innocent of the girls' murders?
He is 33 years old. His mother is not a party to the case. No, she cannot ask the Judge to do anything. I hope this helps.

They have no legal authority in which to make such a request. They had absolutely no legal right to have input on that plea deal in the first place.

If the court has determined that he was of sound mind in accepting a plea, then that is all that matters.

I hope they do ask though, and the judge laughs at them.
I doubt the Judge will find anything remotely funny at the hearing. He will treat them respectfully as victims. JMO

I have zero legal knowledge, so it seems really weird that Mrs Watts should be considered a victim when her own son killed her grandchildren and she has spent day after day vocally bashing the woman her son murdered. But that's just me, of course.
She's had her 15 minutes of obfuscation and lies, IMO. She should let her husband do it, he seems a little more rational. Of course it depends on what she says, but if she starts up with the "Shan'ann was dangerous, we didn't even go to the wedding" they should use one of those hooks to get her off the victim bashing soapbox.

I understand completely. I’m just curious of what their legal rights might be since the order states they are paternal grandparent victims. I have a feeling they are going to pull any trick they can think of to stop his sentencing from happening on Monday.
jmo

With the plea deal only just occurring, and the sentencing so close to the plea, this is the time period where these requests are made.

If they were going to speak, this is the time they would file that request.

I always thought they’d speak at sentencing, regardless of whether or not they had input about the plea in the first place.
In the sentencing hearing of a murder case I attended in another state, the defendant's family did speak on her behalf. It was a little bit different in that a jury had found her guilty of murder and of premeditation which allowed for a life sentence without parole to be imposed. However, that was still up to the judge to decide. So the defendant's family did speak on her behalf on the day of sentencing, hoping to persuade the judge that their daughter was capable of being rehabilitated and be given a sentence with a chance of parole. The judge did not go for that. (As an aside, the defendant's family was about as classy as they could possibly be given the horrific nature of their daughter's crime and also stayed completely out of the media.)

I truly do not know how/if it works to give a victim impact statement when you are also the mother of the perpetrator. It's coming at it from a totally different angle than making a case for your child's innocence or minimizing his crime. Also, considering CW already took a plea that has the mandatory sentence that goes along with it, there's not room (I don't think) to make a case to the judge to do anything different in terms of sentencing. So I truly hope the Watts use their statement to express remorse for the senseless and tragic loss of life of the victims rather than to make a case for their son at this point.

Last edited:
hi everyone. I haven’t been here in a while since I was outted for speaking up against one of the ‘VIs’. Anyway, I just saw the extended interview.
I think CW’s mother was terrible to Shannan. Didnt say a single nice thing about her. How sad, how horrible. I do think deep inside she knows CW is guilty of all charges but she doesnt want to accept the truth as it reflects on her as a mother. The interview left me feeling so sad. I hope Monday brings some closure to Shannan’s family and the Watts as well.

Just catching up, in Cindy’s latest statement she is saying she did get to discuss him pleading guilty, that he said it was what he wanted but in prior interviews she said she did not get to discuss his guilty plea, Sm I understanding this correctly?
Yup, let's say there's been some sudden recall....

I doubt the Judge will find anything remotely funny at the hearing. He will treat them respectfully as victims. JMO
True. It’s a shame that Shannan wasn’t treated with the same respect, as a “victim,” by the Watts family.

Unfortunately, in her case, some people didn’t treat her as a victim from the beginning.

SW's parents absolutely were heard! The Prosecutor traveled to NC and spoke to SW's parents about the plea agreement.

I thought you meant heard in court. Do you mean CW parents didn't get to have a "say" in this plea deal? Why would they? CW is a grown man. Yes I would think he would want to talk to his family about his plea and his future but he doesn't want to. I really don't know why this is so hard to understand. His lawyers and the jail cannot force him to talk to his parents nor they can deny him to talk to them if HE wants to. It's pretty simple. This is a high profile case. Everyone involved will be dotting I's and crossing T's. They are not going to deny him his rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mommysbabies24