Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #100 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought those initials were "PC," not GD.

No - the guy I am thinking of has a name that starts with G. The man whose house Barry went to when LE wouldn't let him go back in his own house. He gave an interview (brief) to LS.

Oh - thank you @OldCop - just saw your response. I didn't realize he was initially with the Ritters, and yes, it is GD who then sheltered him.

So is BM still living at the Cushman house?? What happened to the house in Salida (that was purchased months ago)?

MSM sources have suggested that Judge L's case-crippling sanctions against the prosecution are "rare." I cannot find among my contacts anyone who has ever seen such extensive sanctions imposed. Some of my contacts have over 25 years experience in criminal and civil litigation.

This suggests to me that either Judge L's decision making is significantly outside the norm for his peers, or the prosecutors' conduct was.

I take seriously Dan May's suggestion that Linda Stanley prematurely dismissed the case, foregoing an opportunity to appeal the exclusion order (and, if IIRC, suspending the speedy trial limit while the appeal was pending). He also suggested that Judge L committed reversible error in his ruling.

I hope there is more public discussion about these issues. To @gitana1 and @Nikynoo, is there any way to learn more about them?

Did Judge L issue a written decision on sanctions, with findings of fact as to the conduct he based it on? If so, is it published somewhere?
If I recall, past evaluations of Judge Lama indicated that about 9% of those polled felt he favored the defense in his rulings.

No - the guy I am thinking of has a name that starts with G. The man whose house Barry went to when LE wouldn't let him go back in his own house. He gave an interview (brief) to LS.

Oh - thank you @OldCop - just saw your response. I didn't realize he was initially with the Ritters, and yes, it is GD who then sheltered him.

So is BM still living at the Cushman house?? What happened to the house in Salida (that was purchased months ago)?
If you are referring to the land he purchased in Salida with intent to build, he sold that off, with a loss, when he was hastily dumping assets. (Maybe to pay for his high priced legal team or else to bolt.)
I’m not sure if BM is still at Cushman’s since he is now legally free to move anywhere. However, it does provide a nice vantage point to keep his eye on searches, er, I mean wildlife. :cool:

I am not convinced that SM’s burial place is Garfield Mine. BM dropped the bike and the helmet like a trail of breadcrumbs to highlight the abductor theory and, I believe, to misdirect the investigation to the opposite direction of where SM’s body was secreted. Look over here, not over there.
The area south and east of the Puma Path home is a vast, mountainous, wilderness area with ATV trails and also a couple of mines. BM actually mentioned these mines in one of his conversations with Grusing stating that they were closed off and/or not accessible. This tells me he has been up in this area. To me this area would be more tempting to use as a burial spot. There are no homes between there and Puma Path. There is much less foot traffic up there to stumble upon a body. Why risk bringing a body out on a main highway when you could slink off into the woods behind your home?
Did BM throw SM’s body down a mineshaft? I’m not so sure. He told MG he could bury a body that would never be found. I think of burying as placing a body beneath the ground and covered by dirt or other debris; not the same as dropping one down a mineshaft or throwing it off a cliff or into a ravine, or even into a river or some other body of water.
To Barry, who always 100% and absolutely is following the rules of his religious beliefs :rolleyes:, a cemetery would have fit well, IMO.

Yeah he's def not floating on air. Probably thinking about if they know where she is or if they are bluffing. He's free to move now. My guess is he leaves the country and goes somewhere with no extradition if he can afford it.

I have been in that camp since day one.

While he'd have a smorgasbord of nation states from which to choose
*, even once there, he's going to have to disappear himself. Fitting? Ironic? Readers' choice...
*[My post #28, this thread, may inform.]

Also consider??
"Money talk$! -- Nobody walk$!"...
... indeed for Barry this will be more than that old slogan for a discount oversize men's clothing retailer.
There may well be mucho dinero in the offing for his hunter(s) ... the Bounty kind :)
... and these personae will be worldwide ... and oops: no warrant(s) needed :oops:,
and thence, good ol' "silver platter" fugitive delivery* to any U.S. representative, also world-wide :),
(* which concept perhaps one of our active counselors will elucidate...altho' maybe Iris and Dru' have had one of their clerks already attend to this.)

PS
He might, I suppose, find near isolation and anonymity and still pursue his hunting passion as a guide/Bwana :rolleyes:. But, were I he in such a pursuit, I'd pay handsomely for "client" vetting
:eek:

RBBM
GD is BM’s 400 tours buddy.
BM initially stayed with the Ritters who made the 911 call to report SM missing. Once LE seized BM’s home and it was clear that it was going to be more than a few days, BM moved over to stay with GD who lived up the road near where the Firecamp is. I often wonder if there was any tension between BM and the Ritters in the days following SM’s disappearance. Remember, they got a stay away order against BM when he was released on bail.
AM stayed at the AirBnB which is almost across the way from the Morphews driveway. It is owned by the Cushmans. It is the home where BM has been living with his hugger, SD.
I would branch out a bit on your speculation about BM and the Ritters...I held the same curiosity about GD...i.e. whether or not his relationship with BM has changed, and if so....why? As a witness, he will be very interesting.

I have been in that camp since day one.

While he'd have a smorgasbord of nation states from which to choose
*, even once there, he's going to have to disappear himself. Fitting? Ironic? Readers' choice...
*[My post #28, this thread, may inform.]

Also consider??
"Money talk$! -- Nobody walk$!"...
... indeed for Barry this will be more than that old slogan for a discount oversize men's clothing retailer.
There may well be mucho dinero in the offing for his hunter(s) ... the Bounty kind :)
... and these personae will be worldwide ... and oops: no warrant(s) needed :oops:,
and thence, good ol' "silver platter" fugitive delivery* to any U.S. representative, also world-wide :),
(* which concept perhaps one of our active counselors will elucidate...altho' maybe Iris and Dru' have had one of their clerks already attend to this.)

PS
He might, I suppose, find near isolation and anonymity and still pursue his hunting passion as a guide/Bwana :rolleyes:. But, were I he in such a pursuit, I'd pay handsomely for "client" vetting
:eek:
With other charges pending....I would think BM's passport would be flagged, if not confiscated.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...-17-C] SUPPLEMENT AND [D-17D] SUPPLEMENT.pdf

From Court Order [D-17] dated 8 April 2022, the court summarized prior oral sanctions in addition to the following history of the Court's orders.

IMO, the prosecution knew since March 10 that the Court was not accepting the prosecution's argument (relying on the Rule 16 deadline of 35 days before trial somehow usurped Chief Judge Murphy’s case management authority and rendered the CMO superfluous. See Order, 2 (Feb. 25, 2022)), when they submitted Peoples motion on April 1 --requesting partial reconsideration of the Court's Order (March 10) striking Expert Witnesses. [Defense responded April 5], and the court did not consider the prosecution or defense's arguments in its discussion and/or Order [D-17].

Seems to me that the prosecution must be confident that they have a credible lead on recovering SM's remains. Perhaps rumblings about SM's hair are more than rumors -- only time will tell. MOO

upload_2022-4-21_11-57-44.png

upload_2022-4-21_11-58-36.png

upload_2022-4-21_12-7-23.png

I
I would branch out a bit on your speculation about BM and the Ritters...I held the same curiosity about GD...i.e. whether or not his relationship with BM has changed, and if so....why? As a witness, he will be very interesting.
I agree Scoootie. I think BM had him bamboozled for a while. I think he probably heard some scuttlebutt at the bike scene that night, but BM pprobably tried to convince him that LE was trying to frame him. Then on Tuesday he allegedly goes with TN into town and had that conversation with MG about talking to LE, turning in her cellphone, and hush hush money. If GD was a patsy in all of this, he had to have started feeling uncomfortable about then.
He had a wife, kids, and a business. I don’t think he was ready to give it all up for someone he’s known for less than 2 years.
I, too, would be quite interested in what he has to say.

With other charges pending....I would think BM's passport would be flagged, if not confiscated.
Citing the example of the former CO GOP chairman sentenced to four years probation and 300 hours community service for voting for his ex-wife, I don't see BM receiving any harsher penalty for voting for SM.

Jan 27, 2018 - Former Colorado GOP chairman sentenced for voter fraud

ETA: defendant went to trial and was found guilty. Colorado precedent set.

Last edited:
Citing the example of the former CO GOP chairman sentenced to four years probation and 300 hours community service for voting for his ex-wife, I don't see BM receiving any harsher penalty for voting for SM.

And a lady in Texas is doing 5 years voting for herself while finishing her parole living at home in the community.

And a lady in Texas is doing 5 years voting for herself while finishing her parole living at home in the community.

Exactly

Ridiculous sentence.
Wasn't her conviction overturned on appeal?

I recall from the trial that her neighbor (and later the poll worker) turned her in! It was insane.

Also, I think the harsh sentence was due to her conviction while on probation supervised release (felon) after being convicted for federal income tax fraud.

Last edited:

This charge is pending...thats my point....and, is it the only pending charge? Seems like that should have a bearing on the passport...but easily could be wrong.

I think what we are seeing here is "Cunning" Barry. Unlike the chairman, Barry didn't forge her signature, hence a misdemeanor, he did check a box (apparently)witness the ballot and mailed it back but didn't sign her name.

Normally what happens when there is no signature or a signature discrepancy, the clerk sends out a letter letting the voter know there is an issue with their signature and they have up to eight days after the election to "cure", or fix, the issue. In 2020, it was nine days because the eighth day was Veterans Day.

Barry Morphew charged in separate case related to voter fraud | 9news.com

This charge is pending...thats my point....and, is it the only pending charge? Seems like that should have a bearing on the passport...but easily could be wrong.
Actually, it was the Court that ordered BM's passport released so I guess there's that...

In dismissing all charges, Judge Lama also ordered that Barry Morphew’s $500,000 bond be released, that his passport be released, and that GPS monitoring be ended.

The defense also requested release of Morphew’s property gathered as part of the investigation.

Lama asked defense attorneys to work with the DA’s office and detail what specific items might be released and what would continue to be held as part of the investigation.

Morphew Murder Case Dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member