Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #81 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the neighbor JR rang the red flags first. She and Suzanne had a habit of sharing morning coffee. I do believe Suzanne might have shared her intention of a divorce on and even before May 6th. I would hope they were offered protection as a witness, I'd be terrified of BM out on the prowl.

Since Suzanne was a beginner biker, there is no way she would head up dramatic inclines IMO. Big red flag.

BM not responding to the 2 LE calls the evening she went missing. Never looked around for her when he got to Puma Path, didn't try and call her phone. Big red flags.

BM was busier throwing red flags than an official during college game days.

MOO
Red flags? Perhaps, but quite a few of them should have been yellow caution flags to LE IMO.

Have we heard what Barry was doing May 5th to the 7th when it was mentioned she went by his work site and they got pizza or maybe that was the 8th?

I am wondering if he was out of town then? Maybe that was why SM was saying it had been magical. She wasn't afraid to be alone from the 5th because maybe he was away? The text happened the 6th when she was with someone and he was gone (just guessing). She had her bike fixed then too, the 7th I believe. I think I'd feel more comfortable sending an I'm done text if he was out of town and while I was with someone (like JR). Maybe he wasn't away and was just working long hours.

I also wonder if SM was washing MM's sheets because she was sleeping in her bed while she was away because she told BM she was done. I know company was coming and that could be a reason also, but if she was staying in her room she'd also maybe wash them.

It is a little odd something off with what is said and what is done that week, but we haven't seen all the communications so maybe that would be something we would see in the trial!

Good resources at the link below without the clutter:

https://www.criminal-lawyer-colorad...ms-under-the-colorado-victims-rights-act.html

Colorado Victim’s Rights And The Filing of Charges

Whether the District Attorney files charges and what charges are filed does NOT fall under the purview of the Victim Rights Act. 24-4.1-302 CRS

Colorado Victim’s Rights and Plea Offers – Victim’s To Contol – Plea Bargaining

A victim of a “VRA crime” ( see list of VRA crimes below) does have the right to be “consulted” about a proposed plea prior to the disposition of the case. But the District Attorney has the final discretion in making the decision to make the plea offer to the defendant that he or she determines is appropriate given the facts and evidence of the case and the relevant law.
Thanks, and yes that's why I said they'd have a say - not that they have final world. Same victims rights in NY. :)

victims have no legal authority in sentencing, as far as I can tell. They have a right to be heard. What is interesting in this case is that Victims MM1 and MM2 may well have a far different statement to make regarding sentencing, if it comes to that, than say, AM. The contrast may result in an uncomfortable climate in the courtroom.

BM's alleged actions have resulted in so much personal, collateral damage: SM's family and friends are not incarcerated and remain available to provide the daughters with shelter, guidance, and support, if necessary. Personally, I very much fear that the daughters are so enveloped in BM's clutches that they will fail to consider their own futures and what's required of them to preserve their own legal rights resulting from their mother's death and demise.

At BM's arrest, without the request of the daughters, the State filed a protection order against BM to govern his conduct with his children. However, the order certainly does not mandate that BM assist them financially or protect their futures. IMO, if he's capable of disappearing their mother, he's capable of anything.

Under the IN Permanent Guardianship, BM was required to preserve SM's share of any joint assets until her legal death recognized where estate/probate rules would govern. (Reportedly, after Gene M declined, it was MM1 that provided the court written consent for BM to serve as guardian for SM). Although I've not followed the Guardianship to Colorado, after BM's arrest, IN court would have replaced BM as SM's guardian with a public guardian or alternate named in the initial petition.

Up until the preliminary hearing where the court determines whether or not BM will be bound over for trial, I can understand BM's children standing by his side. However, like it or not, time is of the essence* here and somebody should be guiding the daughters to the reality that sufficient evidence exists for BM to be tried for the murder of their mother, and that SM is not going to one day return from Ecuador. And I don't believe they can depend on their paternal grandmother for this very important guidance and/or instruction. MOO :(

*Wrongful death action: Generally, regardless of the legal theory upon which a wrongful death claim is brought, the statute of limitations for commencing a wrongful death action is two years* from the date of death. As defined in C.R.S. § 15-11-803(1)(b), a felonious killing includes first degree murder, second degree murder, or manslaughter. A criminal conviction of the defendant is not necessary to establish a felonious killing. Under C.R.S. § 15-11-803(7), notwithstanding the disposition of a criminal proceeding, an interested person may petition the court to determine whether the elements of a felonious killing have been established.

Wrongful Death Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Last edited:
Do we know this? I only was aware of the one time. I sure hope it's true though.

Same here. But I'm going to guess neither of us are in an oppressed /abusive relationship with a controlling narcissist.
It was said in one of the videos that she went and visited that neighbor for coffee often. Sounds reasonable.

I think the neighbor JR rang the red flags first. She and Suzanne had a habit of sharing morning coffee. I do believe Suzanne might have shared her intention of a divorce on and even before May 6th. I would hope they were offered protection as a witness, I'd be terrified of BM out on the prowl.

Since Suzanne was a beginner biker, there is no way she would head up dramatic inclines IMO. Big red flag.

BM not responding to the 2 LE calls the evening she went missing. Never looked around for her when he got to Puma Path, didn't try and call her phone. Big red flags.

BM was busier throwing red flags than an official during college game days.

MOO
Red flags? Perhaps, but quite a few of them should have been yellow caution flags to LE IMO.
Have we heard what Barry was doing May 5th to the 7th when it was mentioned she went by his work site and they got pizza or maybe that was the 8th?

I am wondering if he was out of town then? Maybe that was why SM was saying it had been magical. She wasn't afraid to be alone from the 5th because maybe he was away? The text happened the 6th when she was with someone and he was gone (just guessing). She had her bike fixed then too, the 7th I believe. I think I'd feel more comfortable sending an I'm done text if he was out of town and while I was with someone (like JR). Maybe he wasn't away and was just working long hours.

I also wonder if SM was washing MM's sheets because she was sleeping in her bed while she was away because she told BM she was done. I know company was coming and that could be a reason also, but if she was staying in her room she'd also maybe wash them.

It is a little odd something off with what is said and what is done that week, but we haven't seen all the communications so maybe that would be something we would see in the trial!
It is supposed that Suzanne was washing sheets because Mallory was bringing a friend back from the camping trip. AS far as text messages, I'm assuming the texts feel disjointed because they were cherry picked for the preliminary and we aren't seeing entire conversations. Add to it that they were married for so long, I'm guessing their texts were short and to the point and the typical back and forth between spouses.

It is supposed that Suzanne was washing sheets because Mallory was bringing a friend back from the camping trip. AS far as text messages, I'm assuming the texts feel disjointed because they were cherry picked for the preliminary and we aren't seeing entire conversations. Add to it that they were married for so long, I'm guessing their texts were short and to the point and the typical back and forth between spouses.
As far as the sheets, who really cares. There's a very good chance they weren't sleeping in the same bed.
She was "DONE".
I also wouldn't describe the texts and testimonies as "cherry picked", they were chosen to show how Suzanne wanted out of the marriage and told BM so. She told everyone in her immediate circle - she (at least) discussed it with M2, SO and JL.
They showed how she was afraid of him and how he would get into a rage and bring her children into the fray. Pinned her down and frightened her. Put her in a closet and threatened to kill himself with a GUN, 'clipped' her nose at one point, etc etc.
The defense attys had every chance to 'cherry pick' their own tweets but, to the best of my knowledge, they didn't. I have to wonder why that is.
However, they did object, many times, to everything that pointed to the fact that BM killed her - unsuccessfully.
Their cross was limp and transparent.
IMO

I been thinking that SM put the spy pen in a box of bra's in the closet because she didn't think BM would look there for it and that is where she ran to when he was after her, so maybe that spy pen did pick up something.

I do not believe the spy pen picked up anything depicting SM's end-of-life struggle on May 9, 2020.

We know from PH testimony that SO provided the tip to LE to look for a spy pen. We also know that the spy pen was a significant part of the July motions hearing where they discussed how many audio files were deleted, recovered, and that the sound quality of the pen recordings required enhancement to be audible. MOO

Barry would need some basis for thinking "she might be having an "emotional affair"". What would he form that basis from, if not information he had uncovered? The only other source would be Suzanne or a third party who knew about it. I think Barry was playing coy with the subject...the FBI was evaluating his reaction very carefully, imo. I agree with you he wouldn't know what that means....Nor would he accept any type of an affair, up to and including a sexual one. His admission about an emotional affair tells me that Barry makes a distinction between a physical affair and a non-physical affair....I think he wanted to give the impression that he considered an emotional affair one that was less serious (and wouldn't trigger murder). I think he was disingenuous about the subject...jmo.

BMs use of "emotional affair" to me screams "Googled it to have an answer in case the five-oh caught on."

Barry fancies himself a planner and a thinker, had he been able to muster even a modicum of emotion, he might have pulled it off. I would love to get a look at his search history.

I'm still getting the vibe that it was just a marriage heading for the rocks...good times...bad times...normalcy....things that aren't "normal". And normal or not there are couples that sleep together to put it delicately before, during and even after a divorce.
I think when SM's cancer came back BM figured she wouldn't make it. I think whatever little bit of emotional investment he had in her quickly died out when he looked at how advantageous her death would be to him. He thinks he's a ladies man, so he'd be free, have all that money she inherited, the girls would be out on their own and he would be Moneybags Studmuffin Morphew. I think he fell in love with that scenario and once it became apparent that she was going to survive then he started planning how he was going to get rid of her. I think he was waiting for GM to pass and after that inheritance came through he'd do the deed. Unfortunately SM started getting "ballsy" and talking about divorce so he had to speed up his timeline. While he may have been super p.o'ed that she ignored his phone calls I don't think it was a rage killing. I think he did know there was an affair but didn't know who it was. Seeing them talk about being husband and wife he'd know it wasn't just a fling.. His "poor me, you don't love me, I'm gonna go in the garden and eat worms" wasn't working anymore. He probably felt he had to move up his timeline and not wait for GM to pass so he set the plan in motion for Mother's Day weekend. MOO

edited for typo

Again w the CO Victim's Rights Acts.
Good resources at the link below without the clutter:
https://www.criminal-lawyer-colorad...ms-under-the-colorado-victims-rights-act.html
Colorado Victim’s Rights And The Filing of Charges
Whether the District Attorney files charges and what charges are filed does NOT fall under the purview of the Victim Rights Act. 24-4.1-302 CRS
Colorado Victim’s Rights and Plea Offers – Victim’s To Contol – Plea Bargaining
A victim of a “VRA crime” ( see list of VRA crimes below) does have the right to be “consulted” about a proposed plea prior to the disposition of the case. But the District Attorney has the final discretion in making the decision to make the plea offer to the defendant that he or she determines is appropriate given the facts and evidence of the case and the relevant law.
@Seattle1 :):) Thanks for your post linking and quoting this private practice/criminal defense law firm in CO.* I've also quoted material from and linked to that website several times on Websleuths, as it often offers a clear summary of law and the statutes as well.
But some other law firms' websites give somewhat casual info without links or quotes from statutes and generate superficial analysis and discussions. my2ct.

Last edited:
Think you nailed it IRBHTX. Jeanne Ritter, plus a locked front tire.(L/E we're done, next? ) Just not on board with the dart business here, that's me. The cap was crazy Barry to me, could have been anytime in the last few months for a myriad of Barry reasons.

I'm smiling because I believe Suzanne was the kind of woman who cleaned that lint trap every single time she used the dryer. I also think that this was probably the only time Barry had used the dryer. Or close to it.

Why did Barry take "tranquilizer materials" and admit to it on his trash run then?

It's an important piece of the puzzle for me - since it explains why no products of death, no blood, was found at PP.

As far as the sheets, who really cares. There's a very good chance they weren't sleeping in the same bed.
She was "DONE".
I also wouldn't describe the texts and testimonies as "cherry picked", they were chosen to show how Suzanne wanted out of the marriage and told BM so. She told everyone in her immediate circle - she (at least) discussed it with M2, SO and JL.
They showed how she was afraid of him and how he would get into a rage and bring her children into the fray. Pinned her down and frightened her. Put her in a closet and threatened to kill himself with a GUN, 'clipped' her nose at one point, etc etc.
The defense attys had every chance to 'cherry pick' their own tweets but, to the best of my knowledge, they didn't. I have to wonder why that is.
However, they did object, many times, to everything that pointed to the fact that BM killed her - unsuccessfully.
IMO

Yes, in context - what with Suzanne's immediate search for a house in Salida and her two years of communication with SO and HW, it seems clear what "done" means. It's not surprising she'd choose text. I think she was just moving into an assertive phase.

The defense apparently had no tweets for context to counteract that. Indeed, the defense had almost no witnesses or evidence at all.

I do not believe the spy pen picked up anything depicting SM's end-of-life struggle on May 9, 2020.

We know from PH testimony that SO provided the tip to LE to look for a spy pen. We also know that the spy pen was a significant part of the July motions hearing where they discussed how many audio files were deleted, recovered, and that the sound quality of the pen recordings required enhancement to be audible. MOO
I agree plus we have no idea where her end of life if that is the assumption occurred so the idea the pen might have captured something is probably slim to none in my mind. I think people are assuming the door frame crack occurred on a particular day for a specific reason but there is no evidence yet to substantiate that theory. Might be might not be.

She was "DONE".
IMO
Sorry, meant to say that the defense had every chance to 'cherry pick' their own TEXTS, not tweets. :oops:

Yes, in context - what with Suzanne's immediate search for a house in Salida and her two years of communication with SO and HW, it seems clear what "done" means. It's not surprising she'd choose text. I think she was just moving into an assertive phase.

The defense apparently had no tweets for context to counteract that. Indeed, the defense had almost no witnesses or evidence at all.
^^bbm

I think SM's "I'm done" announcement (May 6) and interest in securing a residence for herself (May 8) were probably both motivated by the news and/or confirmation of mid-June escrow date for settling the installment contract sale of the IN residence.

I have little doubt that SM wanted a portion of the proceeds committed to her own real estate purchase before BM jumped ahead of her with his own agenda. Seems to me that SM was correct to push forward with her property search given that BM settled on the Longhorn Estate Subdivision, Lot 8 on June 25, 2020.

We learned during PH testimony that communication between SM/SO included SM speculating that the IN payoff could have been as early as January 2020 (whereas the actual June 2020 escrow date makes more sense with the installment contract settlement at about 12 months). MOO

Doxpop

I'm smiling because I believe Suzanne was the kind of woman who cleaned that lint trap every single time she used the dryer. I also think that this was probably the only time Barry had used the dryer. Or close to it.

Why did Barry take "tranquilizer materials" and admit to it on his trash run then?

It's an important piece of the puzzle for me - since it explains why no products of death, no blood, was found at PP.
I always empty my lint trap, every time I use the dryer. Who doesn't?
I wonder if using a dart leaves evidence. Maybe a trace of blood or a trace of the tranquilizer fluid.
That could be why the sheets were cleaned. Just throwing that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur