Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #83

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the bike and the helmet were almost a mile apart, so hardly a narrow area.

If you were Barry, what would you do with the phone? Would you try and access the information on it? or would you destroy it immediately? Dispose of the phone with the body? something else?
I do consider the area between the helmet and the bike to be small and quite searchable when compared to the infinite alternative. More importantly, the question was posed to Barry specifically (asking for his help strategy) where he thought the phone might be. He in turn provided a specific response....which, one would expect to be "who knows"? If that area were combed....and if the phone was dumped...I would expect it to be located in a manner consistent with the helmet and bike...i.e. "findable" because that was Barry's intent, imo. He seems to be preoccupied with finding the phone, in particular...just like the bike and the helmet.....but not Suzanne. I think he wanted the phone to be found early on....maybe not so much now.

I am reading the AA in pieces as I can.....maybe this weekend I can get the rest of it. For those who have read it already....Did LE ask Barry about operating heavy equipment Friday night at the river site as the elderly woman reported?
I will paraphrase here.The only thing I could find in the AA on that was, Barry saying she was 90 years old and senile. He was also admonishing LE for digging up the site because it cost so much. He felt like the money was wasted . When it could have been used to look at the river.So it looks like he was asked. I found this on pg 84.That's all I found. So if someone else found anything maybe they can add to this.

I do consider the area between the helmet and the bike to be small and quite searchable when compared to the infinite alternative. More importantly, the question was posed to Barry specifically (asking for his help strategy) where he thought the phone might be. He in turn provided a specific response....which, one would expect to be "who knows"? If that area were combed....and if the phone was dumped...I would expect it to be located in a manner consistent with the helmet and bike...i.e. "findable" because that was Barry's intent, imo. He seems to be preoccupied with finding the phone, in particular...just like the bike and the helmet.....but not Suzanne. I think he wanted the phone to be found early on....maybe not so much now.
Why do you think he wanted the phone to be found?

and @CGray123 - IF BM is found guilty of murder 1, is that an act of DV in itself and hence the enhancement? or is just prior to?
There is no charge of domestic violence, so there is nothing for the jury to decide about that. The conversation seems to have lost track of this and is therefore off track. The prosecution must prove only that BM intentionally caused SM's death after deliberation.

The DV statute states that after BM is convicted, the court (i.e. the judge) can require him to give up his guns and participate in DV counseling if the judge finds on the record that the crime involved domestic violence as defined in the statute. This "enhancement" would not be necessary if BM is convicted of First Degree Murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence without parole...

I hope the discussion can return to the assessment of the evidence in relation to First Degree Murder. DV is a minor and irrelevant distraction IMO.

There is no charge of domestic violence, so there is nothing for the jury to decide about that. The conversation seems to have lost track of this and is therefore off track. The prosecution must prove only that BM intentionally caused SM's death after deliberation.

The DV statute states that after BM is convicted, the court (i.e. the judge) can require him to give up his guns and participate in DV counseling if the judge finds on the record that the crime involved domestic violence as defined in the statute. This "enhancement" would not be necessary if BM is convicted of First Degree Murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence without parole...

I hope the discussion can return to the assessment of the evidence in relation to First Degree Murder. DV is a minor and irrelevant distraction IMO.
Thank you.

I wonder if he did that when he didn't want to be bothered? He had an older iphone I think a 4 or a 5 if I recall from the AA. I can't recall if they had that handy silence button on them or he didn't know how to use it which is more likely. Or if he could have turned off location services...I'm a few generations away form that phone now so don't remember. I've been really puzzled by what investigators are calling "airplane mode" and off and on and exactly what the data they have is "saying". Also I'm wondering what data looks like when they don't get a cell tower. When that happens to my phone texts don't come in until I have service, no phone calls, and so on but I wonder what the data that is being analyzed "tells" or "explains".

I too cannot make sense of the “airplane mode” spreadsheet. What is it supposed to mean? Did BM physically go to “settings” and swipe to airplane mode?

I lived in a very remote place for a while. I never put my iPhone 6 to airplane mode. But voice mails/calls would not appear until “something clicked” with spotty Verizon service. It would be days later a voice mail would come through.

In the early pages of the AA, during one of the interviews with, I believe, Grusling....the issue was the helmet and bike having been found...and Barry asked about Suzanne's phone. When asked where he thought the phone might be...Barry said to paraphrase "in between" the bike and the helmet. I found that to be quite interesting. Why would Barry expect the phone to be in that specific and , frankly... narrow area? Its as if Barry wanted the phone to be found just like he wanted the bike and helmet to be found. Maybe that area between those two items should be searched again?

I've been thinking about this. I think he was going for misdirection, any answer incriminates him so the one that incriminates him the least is to point to the same area.

I think he tossed Suzanne's phone while he was outside of MGs house.

Speaking of devices:

In the AA, we learned about a device that connected to Barry's phone a couple of times in the lead up to disappearing Suzanne. This device connected to Barry's phone from November 30th, 2019 through May 12th, 2020 - two days after SM was reported missing.

I must point out, that it could have been any number of devices from an Echo or bluetooth speaker, to a FitBit, but I doubt it is an innocuous everyday device because it only connected 91 times in a 6 month period. So, not an everyday thing or something he wasn't trying to hide.

"Agents showed Barry the photo of a SG 11 Mini DV Operating Manual for a camera, which SA Harris explained was recovered in the bathroom drawer."

This camera is tiny, like fingertip tiny.

In October 2019, SM and JL met up in Dallas. Mysterious device connects on November 30th for the first time. In December 2019, SM and JL stop talking on the phone because "Libler and Suzanne stopped talking over the phone in December 2019 because she told him, "We can't use the phone anymore." She said, "He (Barry) watches everything I do and I'm afraid he's gonna, gonna find out.""

Barry was digging around in the garbage at the Poncha Springs market on the 12th. (Barry loves trash, y'all!). Tiny camera, big ol' trash can.

I wonder where he had it hidden.

Last edited:
I hope Suzanne's phone is findable and someone is up to the task. Preferably not Barry. Unless someone has eyes on him.

I think he pitched the phone at the same time as the bike. The phone went farther, not minor league farther, mind you, just farther, landing in the water.

Barry was mad, in every sense, because LE was tight-lipped about what they did or did not recover, particularly maddening to him IMO in those initial weeks.

I think he was dipping in the creek when witnessed by TD, in search of the phone, to see if LE did or didn't find it.

I'm not convinced the helmet was placed on 5/10, at least not where it was found. I do think he went left that day, but not necessarily to chuck the helmet. I think the missing 18 miles might correspond, as well that mine area and partway beyond.

It was his first drive, I think, since his resetting maneuver and I think that might be why it didn't record.

Barry wanted the river/dam excavated... methinks to find her phone. Waterlogged he would've expected it to be useless for text recovery but a nice little arrow toward his narrative. Got herself in the water. With her phone.

I hope it's recovered.

I also hope the charger cord is still attached.

You can't be smarter than you are.

JMO

I too cannot make sense of the “airplane mode” spreadsheet. What is it supposed to mean? Did BM physically go to “settings” and swipe to airplane mode?

I lived in a very remote place for a while. I never put my iPhone 6 to airplane mode. But voice mails/calls would not appear until “something clicked” with spotty Verizon service. It would be days later a voice mail would come through.
and why turn airplane mode on? if you wanted to silence phone, turn the volume off or right down. I'm confused by the whole airplane mode stuff :)

and why turn airplane mode on? if you wanted to silence phone, turn the volume off or right down. I'm confused by the whole airplane mode stuff :)
Putting one’s phone on silent certainly does the trick. If you wanted to say you were saving your battery because you were in a place where it drained because it was constantly searching for a signal, okay. But when you’re home a sensible person might just plug that phone into the charger to avoid that issue, and turn it on silent if you didn’t want to be disturbed. Except, of course, if it was another one of those accidents.

BBM - I'm not sure that this is true is it? And they probably didn't know of the affair until after BM did. Seeing as SM didn't share knowledge of the affair with SO, it is doubtful she shared it with her daughters.

I suspect that the HATE poured in their fathers direction and to some extent at the girls directly is more to do with how they are behaving in public than anything else. Behind closed doors, it may be an entirely different story.

Actually, from where I sit, I see nothing but goodwill directed at those girls
I have nothing but empathy for them and the position they have been put it through no fault of their own
I understand that they support their father – I don’t see that as a problem
But their real and genuine support does not have to play itself out int the public arena
It can and should be done behind closed doors IMO
They are being put out into the national spotlight
Why ? Seems to me, no one has the good judgement to tell them not to - to tell them is is not necessary
And I would go a step further, I believe it is a carefully orchestrated PR move IMO
They are being used as pawns. It is so Kardashian like it makes my blood boil IMO
His release from jail was orchestrated like he was a hero prisoner of war, at long last coming home IMO
Why is the BM’s mother always tailing along in the rear – why is she not front and center ? Not as good for ratings/clicks? Why not have SD pick him up? Oh, maybe the Optics?
IMO Whoever is carefullyorchestrating/condoning their public appearances ( 4 days at the PH and jail p/up) is continuing a legacy of family dysfunction and does not have the best interest of those girls in mind. ALL IMO

I'm back thinking about the game camera issue. We had the below tweet from Carol McKinley during the PH closings, but I don't think anyone remembers evidence actually being presented at the PH of game cameras being turned off on May 9. I just searched the AA and also see nothing in it about evidence of BM turning cameras off on May 9. I'm wondering if any other reporters tweeted anything similar or was it just Carol McKinley? It seems unusual. The only thing I see in the AA is some apparent suspicion on LE's part about a SG11 Mini camera that BM admitted he bought but that LE did not locate during the search of PP. (pg 107-108). Anyway, I'm wondering if LE actually does have evidence of cameras being turned off. If they did, I don't think the judge would have concluded that there's little evidence of premeditation. JMO.

On Saturday between 11:30 and 1 pm, the last day there's proof Suzanne was alive, Barry removed the game cameras near their home. The tranquilizer cap found in the Morphew dryer is a key piece of evidence, and prosecutors say he had injuries on the outside of his hands.

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1438961343864786946?s=21

Last edited:

So true. It's always funny when a text pops in that is 3 days old. We tend to rely on internet voice calls which seem to be easier...but we went years if not decades without reliable internet. Then a local provider ran fiber optic and internet seems to be pretty stable. Cell phone service is still hit or miss...somedays I can get and send calls and other days nada...zero bars and I have to drive out to make a phone call. That was why I was curious "what" the data is actually capturing. Is airplane mode in the image no service or is it actually reflecting what a person is manually doing to their phone. I hope they explain it at trial as I would guess there will be jury members who live where service is intermittent and spotty and will want to understand if those actions were intentional. I think it's important if it is intentional. I can't assume they were intentional from what has been revealed cause I'm kinda of a questioner by nature.

I have a feeling whomever ends up being the telematics expert for the vehicle tracking and doors opening/closing etc. is going to make my head hurt LOL. I want to know how accurate it all is. Because the telematics data is also important and I "wanna" understand the why.

I'm back thinking about the game camera issue. We had the below tweet from Carol McKinley during the PH closings, but I don't think anyone remembers evidence actually being presented at the PH of game cameras being turned off on May 9. I just searched the AA and also see nothing in it about evidence of BM turning cameras off on May 9. I'm wondering if any other reporters tweeted anything similar or was it just Carol McKinley? It seems unusual. The only thing I see in the AA is some apparent suspicion on LE's part about a SG11 Mini camera that BM admitted he bought but that LE did not locate during the search of PP. (pg 107-108). Anyway, I'm wondering f LE actually does have evidence of cameras being turned off. If they did, I don't think the judge would have concluded that there's little evidence of premeditation. JMO.

On Saturday between 11:30 and 1 pm, the last day there's proof Suzanne was alive, Barry removed the game cameras near their home. The tranquilizer cap found in the Morphew dryer is a key piece of evidence, and prosecutors say he had injuries on the outside of his hands.

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1438961343864786946?s=21
The game cams are interesting....I thought for some reason they were all in the garage or something like that...will have to go search. People that use those tend to move them around and put them up and take them down to offload the SIM cards so I don't know. Prosecution is going to have to do a good job if they want to use the game cams in the trial in my opinion.

I have problems with the needle sheath.....it's definitely suspicious but the fact that it didn't have Barry's DNA is an issue maybe. Theoretically it went through the washer and the dryer so I have to wonder what that does to DNA or if DNA got picked up off the sheets or from the inside of the dryer but then the sheets were from one of girls' beds I thought but Suzanne would have stripped the sheets and put them in the washer and then in the dryer so her DNA makes sense. The biggest strangest thing for me is that there was so little of Barry's DNA picked up in places that were tested. The man didn't run around every day of his life with gloves on I'm sure.

Top Five Most Explosive Details in Lengthy Barry Morphew Murder Investigation Affidavit That Was Just Released

1. Four days before a neighbor reported her missing, Suzanne Morphew sent her husband a text message “let’s handle this civilly,” allegedly referring to divorce.

2. Barry Morphew allegedly denied knowledge of the affair more than a dozen times to law enforcement, calling his marriage “perfect.”

3. Authorities regarded the discovery of Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle near her house as suspicious—because there were no skid marks.

4. Authorities allegedly recovered deletions on Barry Morphew’s phone, including calls with his wife days before she went missing—and creepy internet searches.

5. Authorities provide more details about Suzanne Morphew’s depiction of her husband as “Jekyll and Hyde” — and why her friend allegedly bought her a “spy pen” to record him.

*Is anyone else really struggling to use WS right now? It's very laggy.

BBM

Hello swedeheart! I was having the same problem. Do you have a Mac computer? If so, I
used "CleanMyMac" and the difference in speed was significant. It cleans megatons of junk and makes your computer run faster. If not, I know they have applications for other manufacturers. Hope this helps!;)

I will posting soon about my thoughts on the AA...one thing for sure is, I didn't think I could despise BM more than I did. He is one sick puppy:eek: JMOO

Putting one’s phone on silent certainly does the trick. If you wanted to say you were saving your battery because you were in a place where it drained because it was constantly searching for a signal, okay. But when you’re home a sensible person might just plug that phone into the charger to avoid that issue, and turn it on silent if you didn’t want to be disturbed. Except, of course, if it was another one of those accidents.

So true. It's always funny when a text pops in that is 3 days old. We tend to rely on internet voice calls which seem to be easier...but we went years if not decades without reliable internet. Then a local provider ran fiber optic and internet seems to be pretty stable. Cell phone service is still hit or miss...somedays I can get and send calls and other days nada...zero bars and I have to drive out to make a phone call. That was why I was curious "what" the data is actually capturing. Is airplane mode in the image no service or is it actually reflecting what a person is manually doing to their phone. I hope they explain it at trial as I would guess there will be jury members who live where service is intermittent and spotty and will want to understand if those actions were intentional. I think it's important if it is intentional. I can't assume they were intentional from what has been revealed cause I'm kinda of a questioner by nature.

I have a feeling whomever ends up being the telematics expert for the vehicle tracking and doors opening/closing etc. is going to make my head hurt LOL. I want to know how accurate it all is. Because the telematics data is also important and I "wanna" understand the why.

A primer on Airplane Mode and why it exists: https://www.howtogeek.com/194421/what-does-airplane-mode-do-and-is-it-really-necessary/

Vehicle telematics are on par with an airplanes black box, minus the cockpit voice recorder. They are as accurate as GPS can be and recording event logs (doors opening and closing) is something even the dumbest of electronic devices does. If your vehicle can alert you to it, it's in the logs that it occurred.

To add a little perspective, my oven records an event log. It's only accessible if I plug it into a computer, but there you have it. My oven can tell you that I do not have the patience for preheating.

Info about telematics that the mods might delete: https://www.geotab.com/blog/top-myths-misconceptions-related-to-telematics/blog/top-myths-misconceptions-related-to-telematics/

Page 82 of the AA

“SA Grusing replied that the scopes could be removed from the rifles, but if the Agents can clear Barry, he could get everything back. Barry agreed to wait and said if he was guilty, he would not be talking to Agents, adding, “Because I’m not stupid.”

OH Barry, I hate to tell ya, but……. :)

I don't think the judge would have concluded that there's little evidence of premeditation. JMO.
^^rsbm

Judge Murphy ruled that BM be bound over for trial on the charge of first-degree Murder. Not sure why OP believes Judge saw little evidence of premeditation?

COUNT 1-MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE (F1) Between and including May 9, 2020 and May 10, 2020, Barry Lee Morphew unlawfully, feloniously, after deliberation, and with the intent to cause the death of a person other than himself, caused the death of Suzanne Renee Morphew; in violation of section 18-3-102(1)(a), C.R.S. C

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...8/21CR78 Morphew Amended Complaint 051821.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620