Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else in Chaffee County probably knows better. You don't just do that.
Not over the top, below from Google..

A third of Americans have been victims of porch pirates, with so many packages disappearing from their doorstep. ... The survey showed that an average of 29% of Americans reported having had a package stolen from their porch, front door or mailbox. In urban areas, over two in five (41%) reported having a package stolen.Aug 11, 2021

Oh sorry it's Shoshona, so it's ok... Her and Barry just think rules/laws are for other people.

If you have not seen NASA engineer Mark Rober's assault on porch pirates, you really must. The saga is on his YouTube.

And the charge is not stealing...the charge is trespassing. what part of it was premeditated and planned on her part. Planned perhaps as "she planned to go over and get the package after being asked to." I guess that is planning. I'm sure she had no idea she would be doing it that day for a friend.
a "friend" who murdered his wife and went on a Romanic vaalentines trip with her about 8 months after the murder. Oh and don't forget the call in to police to report suspicious vehicle pon the date of Suzanne's "Disappearance". There is nothing innocent about any of this. MOO

I can't believe that anybody is questioning the long-distance owners from protecting their $1.7M real estate investment from trespassers.

Colorado Criminal “Trespassing” Laws. The Colorado crime of criminal trespass is when a person unlawfully enters or remains on someone else's property. Penalties for criminal trespass in Colorado range from as little as a fine and probation to as much as three (3) years in prison and a $100,000 fine.

A Guide To Colorado "Trespassing Laws" - Definition, Penalties, Defenses.

It just occurred to me, Barry knew who was buying the house and that it was intended to be a vacation home. I'll have to double check the AA, but I believe it said the home was occupied the previous week. If he is that close to the PP home, he would be aware that the house was empty again.

Honestly, I'm not sure which one is the Cushman property.

Has anyone noticed that the place that Suzanne's bike was found is approximately 165 miles due east of where the two women were killed in Moab? I also find it interesting that there have been several people that have gone missing or were killed in that area over several decades.
I could pick any spot in the United States where a disappearance/murder occurred, and make all sorts of connections to other crimes.

Everything points to Barry, nothing excludes Barry, and introducing some sort of stranger abduction not only does not work, but doesn't move the needle away from him.

I could pick any spot in the United States where a disappearance/murder occurred, and make all sorts of connections to other crimes.

Everything points to Barry, nothing excludes Barry, and introducing some sort of stranger abduction not only does not work, but doesn't move the needle away from him.
Yeah and how is something 165 miles away relevant to Suzanne's disappearance? It's a real stretch.

And the charge is not stealing...the charge is trespassing. what part of it was premeditated and planned on her part. Planned perhaps as "she planned to go over and get the package after being asked to." I guess that is planning. I'm sure she had no idea she would be doing it that day for a friend.

A lot of people are bagging on Chaffee County, but the charges could have been a whole lot worse, tampering with the mail in any way is a federal crime. They just hit her with misdemeanor trespassing.

We don’t know, he could have informed her days ago that he ordered something and asked if she would pick it up when it arrived.

By “premeditated “ I meant that she wasn’t an ordinary porch pirate, stopping to trespass on someone’s porch after driving past and seeing a package.

I think that Shoshanna should let off. She was allowed to go to the Puma Path front door, it is generally allowed to go to someone's front door. There's no problem with retrieving your own property from somebody else's residence. If it's on their front porch, she should be allowed to pick it up off their front porch. If they brought it inside, she obviously can't go into their home, which she didn't. Realistically, not any different from playing basketball in the street and retrieving her basketball from their bushes.

During the recent search for Gabby Petito’s remains in the Grand Tetons, they happened to find another deceased hiker. He had been reported missing earlier this year.

During the search for GP’s finance (who is a POI in her homicide) in a large FL nature preserve, they found another person that had recently committed suicide.

Sadly, too many people disappear every year.

JMO

Last edited:
I think that Shoshanna should let off. She was allowed to go to the Puma Path front door, it is generally allowed to go to someone's front door. There's no problem with retrieving your own property from somebody else's residence. If it's on their front porch, she should be allowed to pick it up off their front porch. If they brought it inside, she obviously can't go into their home, which she didn't. Realistically, not any different from playing basketball in the street and retrieving her basketball from their bushes.

BBM. No you aren't. It's called PRIVATE property for a reason. No trespassing signs were posted at the only entrance to the property. If you were not given permission by the owner, your being there is illegal. Full stop.

I also wonder about SD. I listened to the interview she did with the Durango Herald about her time in Kuwait and Iraq. (YT is dated March 2021.) She sounds articulate and gentle. How is it she ended up a housekeeper in Maysville? Life can surely take us down unexpected pathways.

The short answer is PTSD. I don't know if it's true in her case or not, but PTSD can wreck a life.

I think the fair thing to do from the new owners is to warn this Shoshona not to do it again

How do you contact someone that doesn't live there?
Look up the name and address of the LLC that bought the PP property and send a letter.

When you buy a vacation home that an alleged murder suspect had lived in, you buy security cameras. If the alleged murderer or any of his friends come back on your property, you contact the police.

SD was not a random person, she is the current girlfriend of the alleged murderer. Talk about creepy.

JMO

I do not think the new home owners are being unreasonable. SD could have driven up the driveway, rung the bell and waited for someone to answer. If it’s a ring you can speak thru the camera! She could have explained the situation and the home owners would have most likely said yes ok take the package. Or, BM could have called FedEx and said hey you delivered to wrong address! They both have to know that there is controversy with them going near that house!!!! IMO I’m wondering if this was a test. A way for BM to see if they had cameras and what would happen if they walked on property. I was married to a narc and trust me nothing is done without an ulterior motive!

Given the notoriety of the PP property, it seems like it would behoove the new owner to put a locking gate across the driveway to further discourage unauthorized access.

IMO the trespasser was lucky no one was at the property to potentially pull a gun on her.

JMO but if someone has an insurance claim pending, it is helpful to an insurance company to have the claimant on film demonstrating an activity level and range of motion that they claims not to have, as a result of the event that is the subject of a claim.

Edited to delete sleuthing.

Last edited:
Yes but remember that was not his choice. His choice was to move to Gunnison...which is in Gunnison County not Chaffee County so staying at the neighbors is a no go for conspiracy theories. It was where he stayed I believe when the house was sealed. I have to wonder, as I'm sure <modsnip> lawyer will when negotiating a plea, if she was anyone else in Chaffee county would she have been arrested or given a warning after LE discovered the reason for walking up the driveway. Or did LE have a theory other than to go retrieve a misdelivered package. I totally "get" the new owners frustration at having strangers on that property, but the whole thing still feels abit over the top to me.
For a man with millions of dollars there are many choices of residences in Chaffee County. He chose the residence near Puma Path deliberately, for reasons we don't know but which we can speculate about here. My favorite speculation is that he wanted to use the Puma Path house as a mail drop for a weapon, but didn't think it through. My second favorite speculation is that he is anxious to know as much as he can about ongoing searches of the area. I am sure if these hypotheses occur to me, they occurred to LE a long time ago.

I am not willing to assume that BM resides there free of charge. SD is described as an employee of a real estate management company, not the Chapmans. Typically, the management company would be empowered to rent the mansion out during periods when the owner is away. I am inclined to assume BM is not in the home as the Chapmans' non-paying guest.

I am hoping he'll be a guest of the County soon, as a result of the SD debacle, which I suspect will evolve into something much more serious for her and for BM.

BBM. No you aren't. It's called PRIVATE property for a reason. No trespassing signs were posted at the only entrance to the property. If you were not given permission by the owner, your being there is illegal. Full stop.
You're allowed to go on someones driveway United States v. Carloss, 818 F.3d 988 (10th Cir. 2016) The standard adopted is this: “under the totality of the circumstances, would an objectively reasonable person conclude that entry onto the Defendant’s driveway was categorically barred?”

The court concludes that under this test, a “no trespassing” sign ordinarily doesn’t have much Fourth Amendment significance.

You're allowed to go on someone's driveway, you're allowed to go to their front door to talk to them. I would contend going to their front door to pick up a package is no different than picking a basketball that went into their bushes by mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm