Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to type this but not provide a link because it's a gray area for sleuthing. Many states have all of the county property records online. Chaffee County, Colorado has all of the property info online. You need an address or a legal name to search. Chaffee has more detailed records than some places, for instance the floor plan is viewable on the property record.

Here is a screenshot from the Chaffee county website from back in January. Her name is listed as an owner, do not know if it was on the actual deed.

Attachments

• Screenshot (53).jpg
    Screenshot (53).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 74
More about the sale of Puma Path home.
BM got temporary guardianship in Indiana in June 2020 to sell property there.
He was granted permanent guardianship on September 2, 2020 ( in Indiana).
The letters of guardianship were transferred to Colorado in February 2021 and PP sold in March 2021.
BM must have thought it would happen much sooner because he listed the house for sale in October 2020 and did this interview ( published October 7, 2020) “ explaining “ why he was selling it so soon after his wife went missing.
Barry Morphew Shares More Photos And Love Letter Nearly 5 Months After Wife, Suzanne, Disappears

SALIDA, Colo. (CBS4) – The home of a missing mother from Salida is now up for sale. Suzanne Morphew’s husband, Barry, tells CBS4 part of the decision to list it was due to what he believes happened to her.

Suzanne, 49, disappeared on May 10 and Barry said he believes she was abducted. He told CBS4 that his daughters are terrified to return to the house, and the family has been renting a home nearby for the last several weeks.

Another reason Barry felt the need to list the home is due to the extensive media coverage. He has been recorded against his will and had curious strangers wander onto the property.

CBS4 sat down with him at the house on Sunday, with no cameras. He wanted to share his side of the story.

barry-suzanne-morphew-1.png

(credit: Morphew family)

We asked Barry why he didn’t join the search. He said it was because he had already spent months doing the same with close friends. He no longer believes she’s in the area. He also added Moorman never reached out to him directly about the search despite repeated attempts to contact him personally.

Last edited:
"Stigma Disclosure" Law for CO Prop Sales
Many state statutes re prop sales disclosure address "stigma" or "circumstances psychologically impacting real property" and vary greatly from state to another.
Seller's disclosure for PP is governed by CO law* which exempts a real est broker or salesperson from liability for failure to disclose that a homicide occurred on the prop.

Whether the owner-seller's failure to disclose a homicide is actionable is a different question, but :DI feel quite confident :D in saying, if SM's homicide occurred at PP home:

BM did not disclose it to buyer in the CO Seller's Disclosure Form or by any other means.

(:rolleyes: Because, he said, SM was only missing.:rolleyes:)
my2ct
"(1) Facts or suspicions regarding circumstances occurring on a parcel of property which could psychologically impact or stigmatize such property are not material facts subject to a disclosure requirement in a real estate transaction. Such facts or suspicions include, but are not limited to, the following:
"(a) That an occupant of real property ... (HIV) or ...(AIDS), or ....
"(b) That the property was the site of a homicide or other felony or of a suicide.

"(2) No cause of action shall arise against a real estate broker or salesperson for failing to disclose such circumstance occurring on the property which might psychologically impact or stigmatize such property." bbm sbm
^ 2016 Colorado Revised Statutes :: Title 38 - :: Property - Real and Personal :: Real Property :: Article 35.5 - :: Nondisclosure of Information Psychologically Impacting Real Property :: § 38-35.5-101. Circumstances psychologically impacting real property - no duty for broker or salesperson to disclose
** Seller’s Property Disclosure Forms

Residential version. Sellers Property Disclosure (Residential) (SPD19) writable.pdf
Understanding the Seller’s Property Disclosure Forms | Division of Real Estate

Last edited:
@Boxer sbm"It shechad rangg and ta"??

By googling I found "shechad" (on FB. also anime???) but wonder if your PC was clearing its throat or if your auto-correct went rogue?
Or did that refer to something else?:rolleyes::confused:o_OTiA.

OMG
Thank you al66pine.
I so needed that laugh. :)
Your sense of humor is priceless.

Justice for Suzanne.

IMHO

There are already real suspects in that case including one who has been named. There is zero evidence that Barry Morphew is a serial killer…there is only circumstantial evidence he may have killed one person.

lol. “Circumstantial evidence that he may have killed one person” will likely land him in prison for life.

That “one person” was real. She has a name. Her name is Suzanne Morphew. Never forget that.

This notion and refrain “ it is only circumstantial evidence” IMO is clearly meant to minimize the gravity and totality of the circumstantial evidence gathered showing BM murdered his wife.
They call it evidence for a reason.
Obvi the circumstantial evidence must be adequate for the jury to reach their guilty verdict. But to posit that it is “only” circumstantial evidence, is meant to color the evidence as “less than” … and is really not accurate characterization IMO

I sat on a jury for a murder trial 2 years ago. Circumstantial evidence was all we had. Defendant had no prior record. He was acquainted with the victim from church, but never on anyone's radar. All 12 jurors agreed guilty of murder within an hour of deliberations. It's not 1970,(yep, I'm old) where having a body is the only way to convict. Cell phone records, car tracking details, random cameras that can identify a car simply from its tail lights- all matching up to cell records, victim cell wasn't in use, but pinged at close range to murderer's cell. etc. I was amazed at the technology available. No regrets we made the right decision.

lol. “Circumstantial evidence that he may have killed one person” will likely land him in prison for life.

That “one person” was real. She has a name. Her name is Suzanne Morphew. Never forget that.
Lol on the, “may have killed one person.” Many murderers, just like Barry, are found guilty in court based on “only circumstantial evidence.”

This notion and refrain “ it is only circumstantial evidence” IMO is clearly meant to minimize the gravity and totality of the circumstantial evidence gathered showing BM murdered his wife.
They call it evidence for a reason.
Obvi the circumstantial evidence must be adequate for the jury to reach their guilty verdict. But to posit that it is “only” circumstantial evidence, is meant to color the evidence as “less than” … and is really not accurate characterization IMO
Some posters’ aim is to minimize Barry’s role and responsibility in killing Suzanne. If one is required to go through extreme levels of mental gymnastics, coupled with a lack of logic, in order to assert Barry’s innocence; then it’s pretty obvious that it’s an inaccurate characterization. People like to repeat and parrot misinformation about the weakness of circumstantial evidence because they believe it bolsters their point of view.

Juries often find killers guilty of killing based solely on circumstantial evidence, Harold Henthorn is one such Colorado example. The same FBI agent that investigated Henthorn is investigating Barry. The jury sent Henthorn to prison for life based on circumstantial evidence.

Last edited:
Permission to Deliver? Gifts?

@Megnut Good point. Agreeing that likely the vast majority of deliveries by FedEx, UPS, et al are deliveries to homes (or businesses) of those placing orders to be shipped to those addresses.
But speaking gen'ly, not to this particular delivery or circumstance, sometimes ppl place merch orders which are sent to addresses of other people (not the buyer).

If a person wants to prevent FedEx from delivering, well....what to do besides No Trespassing signs? IDK.
A couple security crocodiles or grizzly bears too????my2ct.
Our driveway is gated, so if the gate is closed Fed Ex, UPS, USPS, Amazon leave the package at the gate, the USPS usually gives a coupe honks of their horn to alert us. If we are expecting something large or heavy to be delivered, we leave the gate open and they drive up to our house.

Suing Real Est. Broker or Salesperson?
More interesting, to me, is the fact that the new owners could in fact sue, regardless. If they wanted to. The real estate agent, I mean, not Barry. But I bet it was disclosed...
@10ofRods bbm First I agree - likely pre-closing, the new owners were aware of the gossip/suspicions of SM's (supposed) death at PP. Whether r/e broker or salesperson disclosed that to buyer, IDK.

Re your bbm, owners suing r/e broker or salesperson for failure to disclose homicide on PP?
As I read paragraph (2) of CO. stigma statute quoted below, (see red bbm), it's unlikely imo that such a lawsuit would result in a plaintiff's verdict or even a meaningful settlement. Maybe in other states w other stigma disclosure laws?
But as @Momofthreeboys (TYVM:)) pointed out --- to date there's been no legal finding, in either civil or criminal court, that there was a homicide at PP (at least not SM's).

If there's another CO statute suggesting that owner's (hypo) lawsuit would be successful, a link, pls?
I'm reaching the opposite conclusion. my2ct.
"(1) Facts or suspicions regarding circumstances occurring on a parcel of property which could psychologically impact or stigmatize such property are not material facts subject to a disclosure requirement in a real estate transaction. Such facts or suspicions include, but are not limited to, the following:
"(a) That an occupant of real property ... (HIV) or ...(AIDS), or ....
"(b) That the property was the
site of a homicide or other felony or of a suicide.
"(2)
No cause of action shall arise against a real estate broker or salesperson for failing to disclose such circumstance occurring on the property which might psychologically impact or stigmatize such property." bbm sbm
^ 2016 Colorado Revised Statutes :: Title 38 - :: Property - Real and Personal :: Real Property :: Article 35.5 - :: Nondisclosure of Information Psychologically Impacting Real Property :: § 38-35.5-101. Circumstances psychologically impacting real property - no duty for broker or salesperson to disclose
Seller’s Property Disclosure Forms
Residential version. Sellers Property Disclosure (Residential) (SPD19) writable.pdf
Understanding the Seller’s Property Disclosure Forms | Division of Real Estate

And yes, okay, as the adage goes, anybody can sue anybody for anything.

7-12 months is a long time…for the case and for these homeowners. But clearly the local LE are being supportive whether or not little ole me thinks arresting a first time trespasser is over the top or not. People would be foolish to think they can go there without permission now if they didn’t understand before. I suspect they had an inkling of why the house was being sold even if nothing was overtly discussed as it was not required to disclose anything at the time of the sale. Like you said anyone can sue anyone although I can’t quite figure out what they would sue about. Real estate values are flukey also so you maybe you could sue over value but you would have to prove the value diminished because of the publicity but quite the stretch.

7-12 months is a long time…for the case and for these homeowners. But clearly the local LE are being supportive whether or not little ole me thinks arresting a first time trespasser is over the top or not. People would be foolish to think they can go there without permission now if they didn’t understand before. I suspect they had an inkling of why the house was being sold even if nothing was overtly discussed as it was not required to disclose anything at the time of the sale. Like you said anyone can sue anyone although I can’t quite figure out what they would sue about. Real estate values are flukey also so you maybe you could sue over value but you would have to prove the value diminished because of the publicity but quite the stretch.
Not diminished due to publicity. Diminished because Suzanne was murdered right there. And whether a jury finds reasonable doubt to acquit or not, reasonable belief will always remain IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89